Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED]Android crash reporting not working, other platforms OK

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by Kurt-Dekker, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I've got my "crashtest" app reporting crashes in the editor and on iOS (IL2CPP). This is verified to work perfectly.

I am using a basic null reference access as my test crash code.

However, I built to Android and I am not getting crash reports at all.

I'm running Unity 5.5.1f1 and the services window reports that Android is supported.

I confirmed the Android device has internet access, and I even visited the unity3d.com website (and a few others) from the phone in order to verify internet connectivity.

I also used 'adb logcat' and verified that the crash happens:

D/dalvikvm(14225): GC_CONCURRENT freed 414K, 5% free 9275K/9728K, paused 5ms+4ms, total 54ms
    I/Unity (14225): DoCrash1();
    I/Unity (14225):
    I/Unity (14225): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    I/Unity (14225):
    I/Unity (14225): NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    I/Unity (14225): at crashtest1.DoCrash1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (14225): at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, U
    E/Unity (14225): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denied (missing INTERNET permission?)
    E/Unity (14225):
    E/Unity (14225): (Filename: Line: 386)
    E/Unity (14225):

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Wait... I just spotted the problem at the bottom of my own report...

java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denied (missing INTERNET permission?)

Is that expected? Do I just have to use the WWW class in my project to get access?? Do I need a custom AndroidManifest.xml? (Please say no!)

Or is that error completely unrelated?

3. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

There's a setting in the Android Player Settings to require internet access. That should give your app the internet permission so the crash reports can be sent.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

BAM... thanks. Didn't see that. But... I just added a WWW access to the program and presto I'm getting crash reports. Makes sense from a permissions approach.

May I humbly suggest that the enabling of crash reports automagically trip the above setting you mention?

Awesome... now I'm gonna go write my very first bug!

5. arielsan

arielsan

Are you aware that all your stacktrace lines are 0? I mean:

I/Unity (14225): NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    I/Unity (14225): at crashtest1.DoCrash1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

@thomasn_unity Is this normal? do you know if that could affect also the crash report? In my case the crashes I see in the crash reporter have all line 0 in the report and it is complicating things when searching for a bug.

6. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

I believe the line number information is unavailable in IL2CPP builds in order to reduce the size of the deployed player. I'm hoping to be able to re-populate the line number information on the server side at some point in the future, but I don't have an ETA on that.