Search Unity

Snowy Mountain Tutorial/Tips

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ImmortalPancake, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ImmortalPancake

ImmortalPancake

Hey guys, I am currently working on a project what requires a winter forest at the base of some mountains. I can manage the forest fine but I am having some real trouble getting the mountains to look good. If anyone knows of some tutorials that could help me it would be much appreciated. I did look at World machine and made something that was somewhat like i needed but I do not want to pay the $100 for the standard version much less the $250 for professional so I am trying to stick with using unity.

2. hopeful

hopeful

I know you said "make," but here are some store bought mountains on sale.

If you still want to make your own, I suggest you help people out by telling them what features you want and / or why you are having difficulty. Otherwise the issue is very broad. It's best to narrow it down.

3. ImmortalPancake

ImmortalPancake

This is for a contest me and my friends are entering and while using third party assets is allowed we get less points for using them. As for what I am trying to do here it is. Its a small mid evil hunting village surrounded by forest and then mountains that act as a boarder to the world. I have managed to make some stuff but it does not have the detail and realism that I am really looking for. It kind of resembles a mountain but seems kind of sloppy, thats the best way I can think of putting it.

4. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe you can post a picture?

5. smacbride

smacbride

There are several good demos on YouTube that show you how to import a bitmap from an actual topo map of a mountain range, then you just have to get good at the terrain tools for painting the correct texture to make it look good. I believe there is a snow texture in the standard assets or in one of the free example projects you can use.

hopeful likes this.