Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcos

marcos

Did another little bit of work on this drawing.

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looked OK before. Looks great now :)

What sort of game are you making with them?

3. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Looks really cool, except the steps seem out of scale (too large for the door),
    as well as the foundation bricks and roof tiles, though I'm sure it is intentional for effect.
    The color scheme is really nice!

4. Rilem

Rilem

Thanks guys, they're not for a game but for the asset store (it's like a build your own house kit). :p
    The steps are a bit out of scale in that pic yeah, it's a construction set for the asset store so you can scale and move all of the parts. So if you'd place your door a bit lower you could scale the steps down as well.

5. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

I noticed your blizzard entry: looks great, but I don't think you've hit the style they are after.

Most of my brushes I make myself, other than the normal hard round brush which I actully use 80% of the time.

And I made the tilable hanpainted texture tut, but my internet is so S*** it stops 25% to 60% of the way. Will get it on some time, I'm also very busy with exams, so so so many :'( Until the end of the month which means I'm not going to be very active for now.

@Rilem: looks like it's been done well, I did a editable house awile ago which turned out pretty good but I lost all of my old work about 8 months ago... Which is why I have to make more models for my portfolio.

I was also going to address the steps but thats been done and is also a quick fix, also the roof tiles look unfinisfed or you havent put enough time and thought into them... they look like bricks to me but I do over think things

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. wrm186

wrm186

@quentinp If so I just might buy it haha, I have both a slim and fat PS3 but I'd like if they made a version just for the newer consoles for more/better online gaming.

@Rilem They look even better now indeed! :p

7. Acumen

Acumen

Another main menu test:

I made the rocks texture tilable and "finalized" the background so I should be able to send that over hopefully within the next days, keeping us in line with the development. GUI seems to be shaping up nicely, too, so we may be able to share a quick video soon - yay :)

edit: argh I seriously need to change the resolution of my mockups. Not standard, not retina conform. What am I DOING ???

8. jessee03

jessee03

I'm more of a modeler, not so much a texture artist even though I try pretty hard. D; that totally sucks, well you should hit me up when you get it uploaded, would love to see your process in making hand painted textures. I used to make my own brushes and still have my wacom tablet I still practice with.

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Logo for Simbolo

10. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

some more arch viz of my architecture studio projects. Trying to update everything for my website and create some interactive arch apps for my portfolio website.

11. Duskling

Duskling

I have been wanting to learn hand painted textures for a long time, today I learned how to do grungy metal textures. What do you guys think?

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Attempting some low poly-stylized character modelling, need to re-look the arms as they are to *high quality*

also some topoligy funkyness around the back of the foot that needs fixing

13. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

First ever hand painted texture for an environment im doing :) what do you think?

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks good, it needs to define were the planks end and start more, what size texture is it? oh and the third from the right is one plank wich will make one huge plank when tiled, its the same for the first on the left.

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks Titanty, I never thought about that plank thing. and yes, I want them to be more defined, but every tutorial talks about using the smudge tool, but it just doesnt work the way I want it to, God damn I hate that smudge tool ^_^

16. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Tip for people using their mouse: set the brush flow to about 20 and use the color picker. Might work best to make some tool presets to quicken up the process as it will take some time doing it this way, but about the same amount of time it does to smudge.

Charlie: get a tablet!

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i just had a go at sharpening up the right most plank, i think you smudge to much on the edges of the planks, i would just do it enough to make the edges smooth but not mix them with the other colors.

$oigo44Sharp.png

18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"Robodash" font, texture and size look good!

19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I do have one :) just cant use the tools to save my life

20. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

You're not alone! :)

21. ivanzu

ivanzu

Not bad but needs a bit more highlights and some depth lighter colors at edges can help.

22. janpec

janpec

Some rocks, used tiled texture. I was wondering does anyone knows why i cant see previewed vertex colors in Marmoset toolbag or Unity? I have painted in max black and white vertex colors for shadows, but somehow they are not visible in Unity or Marmoset.

23. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Another Sci-fi console. Crits are welcome!!! :confused:

sorry if the picture are too big.

$console.jpg $console_texturesheet.jpg

just saw that i wrote two times "specular"...the one at the bottom to the far right is obviously the Illumination-map^^

24. StormGamer

StormGamer

25. fivearchers

fivearchers

KDP Weapon for the game I'm working on. So far just the basic texture map, needs a bump or normal map, and a specular map would help a great deal to define the various sections.

26. primaerfunktion

primaerfunktion

Hi, after some (mostly unfinished) 2D projects i wanted to take the jump into the third Dimension with Unity. This is what I came up with after a few weeks of simple "games" (those wich everyone does at first) and a lot of trial and error.

There is still no gameplay at all and I dont really know where to go from here... But I think it looks and feels too good to just throw it away...

27. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

anyone help me with making a stone wall texture? daam this stuff is hard.

28. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Have been working on a little something for a while. I know it might seem basic, but I'm quite proud of it so far and was just wanting to share my progress. Yes the weapon fires from the head as I decided on the character wearing a special helmet that does 101 things :D . It will also be adventure orientated with puzzles, enemies and obstacles in between with allot of physics involved as well. The second weapon you see it my attempt at a grappling hook, it does grab on certain places but it's not in the video. Any thoughts, criticism, trolls? NB I'm still new to Unity but loving it! :D

29. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

cool! I like it!

30. brn

brn

Hell, why not. Does it have to match a particular style or mesh uv. Did you have a palette in mind? Its been ages since Iv'e done a hand painted stone texture. Looking at all the cool stuff on here is very inspiring.

31. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

It needs to look quite WoW like, very basic and easy for me to do! haha, Similar to my wood I guess, I really want videos of people doing their textures from scratch with VOICE over. because all the youtube ones are pretty naff imo

32. Westmark

Westmark

You'll need a special shader for that :)

Give me 10 mins and I'll cook one up for you :)

Edit: DONE :p one bumped spec vertex color coming up :p

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Bumped Specular Vertex Color" {
    2. Properties {
    3.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    4.     _SpecColor ("Specular Color", Color) = (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1)
    5.     _Shininess ("Shininess", Range (0.03, 1)) = 0.078125
    6.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Gloss (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    7.     _BumpMap ("Normalmap", 2D) = "bump" {}
    8.     _Vstr ("Vertex Color Strength", Range (0, 1)) = 1
    9. }
    10. SubShader {
    11.     Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" }
    12.     LOD 400
    14. CGPROGRAM
    15. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhong vertex:vert
    17. sampler2D _MainTex;
    18. sampler2D _BumpMap;
    19. fixed4 _Color;
    20. half _Shininess;
    21. float _Vstr;
    23. struct Input {
    24.     float2 uv_MainTex;
    25.     float2 uv_BumpMap;
    26.     float4 color;
    27. };
    29. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {                    
    30.     o.color = v.color;
    31. }
    33. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    34.     float4 vcol = IN.color;
    35.     vcol = 1-((1 - vcol) * _Vstr);
    36.     fixed4 tex = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex);
    37.     o.Albedo = tex.rgb * _Color.rgb * vcol.rgb;
    38.     o.Gloss = tex.a;
    39.     o.Alpha = tex.a * _Color.a;
    40.     o.Specular = _Shininess;
    41.     o.Normal = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_BumpMap, IN.uv_BumpMap));
    42. }
    43. ENDCG
    44. }
    46. FallBack "Specular"
    47. }

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  33. fivearchers

fivearchers

Full Size Image

Got my new gun models into the game (I'm pushing to create a complete set of things, a complete gun, level, and character). This gun is about half done - still needs some texture work and animations. But I got the model, custom cross hair, sounds, and other GUI images all set.

34. janpec

janpec

@Charlie I was just making brick texture for wall, here is quicky how i do it. Its however slow workflow and takes few hours to make.

Start with simple cube mesh in max, and export it to Mudbox or Zbrush. Sculpt it up but dont go over 500k polys per brick becouse you will have problems with placement in max later. It is usefull if you use Zbrush decimation after you are finished with sculpting.

Import all bricks in max and start placing them on plane. It is recomended that bricks on edges are in little offset for better tiling. What you do is simply offset copy this bricks on edges so that they are mirrored on the other side.

Then just bake all alligned bricks on simple plane (AO, nrml, cav, displ) and paint out color and specular map in Photoshop or Mudbox.

Thats my first take on bricks, next one will be better.

@Westmark Dude thank you very much for this, i didnt know that you need custom shader since white vertex colors are in model anyways if there is shader used or not. It will surely make good use in project.

35. Westmark

Westmark

NP mate :)

36. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  37. Duskling

Duskling

I am rewriting a good portion of the bootcamp demo for my game. Lots of valuable assets there, but It's undocumented so reverse engineering it is a bitch.

38. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

39. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Well your in luck, yesterday I made a video with some basics and some tips to get people working with a better workflow while making a tilable plank texture in photoshop. The walkthrough/tut goes something like this: new documant and presets, some basic color theory (value, saturation and hue), creating tool presets and brush settings for faster workflow (very important time saver), blocking in the plank and making sure values are somewhat correct, basic detail, last details, tileing the plank (I only do one plank and copie it for time sake), color variation, testing in 3DS MAX done!

It's about an hour and 20 mins long though XD so need to do some editing and upload it. (could take a few days because of how busy I am and my slow interweb)

40. brn

brn

Here's a Wip, Ill get time to finish it tomorrow night.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  41. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

:O Verry nice. Looks great :)

42. janpec

janpec

Two variations of ground tiles for wall.

43. defjr

defjr

Doing some work on a training simulation set in an Army courthouse. We still need to do some touchups on the lightmaps but it's coming along well. We baked these scenes using only emissive materials. :)

44. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

@brn, damn that looks nice.

@janpec, also nice, but methinks you missed the "handpainted" part :)

45. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

@Earl, that is an awesome wall creamy texture, id love to know what you used to make it.

46. defjr

defjr

No texture, just a happy result of the bake.

Wall material color (no texture): 233,216,173
    Window pane emissive color: 255, 232, 190 - Emission value: 6

The overhead lights have a white emissive mesh inside.

My beast settings:

47. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Very nice.

48. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Another painted one from Dead Within:

49. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Ouch. ;)

50. Swearsoft

Swearsoft