Search Unity

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blacklight

Blacklight

Love the design! Is this going to be used in a project?

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hopefully.

3. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

Here's a pretty damn action-packed video of multiplayer survival mode in action. It was great fun to record!

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey man!! I like your style, keep it up! Love this sprite!! I love that you've offsetted the sprite's hands!

Btw you should make all 8 directions! I'd honestly love to see that! hehe :D

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Err, i seem to of sub consciously copied the zombie sprite from The Other Brothers(Which i consciously stole colors from ;))(the eyes look nearly the same) but i don't know, the game would be very different so i hope that is OK...
    But if it is a problem i will quickly change my sprite to have no resemblance to there sprite.

Anywhoo, here is an update:

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is looking NICE!... I need to figure out how to do this using Vue...

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

8. janpec

janpec

Grape model. 512 tex. Probably it will be used only for GUI inventory item, becouse ingame it would be quite hard on performance (22k triangles).

9. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

A clip from the previous vid (which was far too long!!) highlighting the multiplayer coop gameplay:

10. Betelgeuze

Betelgeuze

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

how do you do those? multitexturing?

14. macorig

macorig

Hi there!
    I'm still quite new to scripting in Unity and have never been much of a programmer, but I've started a small project to get a grip on some scripting, including basic editor scripts.

It's a path system with every node storing preceding and following nodes, thus allowing paths and meshes with directions.
    ...I'm not really sure it's as useful as I thought it would be when I came up with the idea, but I've already learned a lot through working on it so far.

If you want to check it out just download the package. To create new paths use the 'Create'-menu or take a look at the 'Paths'-menu-window. Add nodes via the paths-menu or an existing node's PathNode-context menu.

Attached Files:

15. Blacklight

Blacklight

The ground feels a little flat, and the texture doesn't fit in well with the rest of the scene. Everything has a sort of smooth, hand painted look, whilst the ground looks very rough and noisy.

Excellent work, regardless of the previous point.

16. c-Row

c-Row

Woah! :eek: Sexy stuff!

17. janpec

janpec

Actually just one 2k map. Yep in engine then additionally splat maps or detail maps are applied, but main visual appeal is from 2k diffuse, normal and spec.

18. janpec

janpec

Pug :D I am always wondering if those dogs are sad all the time judging on their face experession and eyes.
    Thats my second model using Zbrush fibers for fur, sadly fur just doesnt bake really well in normal map becouse raycasting somehow bakes every fur from different dirrection isnted of only one which is why it doesnt look good enough from all dirrections.
    Fur cage:

19. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That looks so realistic even from up close!

Hey what do you use to bake? I use xnormal! It works pretty good. Be sure to try farfarer's unity plugin for xnormal, it gives great tangent normal map baing! http://www.farfarer.com/resources.htm

20. janpec

janpec

Thanks dogzerx. That is really interesting information, i never thought that different softwares render normal maps different. I will defenetly try it on next model and will post results. I use Xnormal, Mudbox and Topogun for baking. I usually switch from them every few weeks just to experiment a little, but ye mainly i stay on xnormal becouse for meshes with 3 milion polys or above it outperforms anything else. For terrains i use Mudbox becouse Xnormal has problems with displacement baking if Uvs are not from raw 3d modeling app (max or similar).

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@janpec: Tbh only just found out that each tool had different baking methods!

The xnormal tests I've done with characters are great!

I retopoed the wizard girl, with very little polycount, and I love the results:

This is only 2843 tris!

And this is 13340, almost 5 times more triangles!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  22. janpec

janpec

Excellent job on retopo, i told you that you can get this down to 2k tirangles without any detail los.

23. J_P_

J_P_

Face etc are really good.

24. Alex_V

Alex_V

Hi everyone,
    Here's a little video of our first project :)
    Everything is still very raw at the moment!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  25. janpec

janpec

Might be for underwater competition. Gonna test Farfarers normal baker on it tomorrow.

26. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Janpec, the pug and crab look amazing. You are quite the modeler and texturer.

27. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Oopps.. Double.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  28. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

He has a somewhat stylized face models... Just looking to the eyes and mouth I can already recognise any of his characters.

Gimme dat crab pls!
    Me gusta.

29. kenshin

kenshin

Really impressive!

30. StormGamer

StormGamer

good to see that my chances of winning are low :p

very good job dude!
    where did you learned to model and texture like that? classes?

31. janpec

janpec

Thanks logotom, i learned trough online tutorials here and there, the rest of it was by myself trough experimenting. As for texturing part i am really grateful to have Mudbox arround, becouse i am really anti- Photoshop texturer since 2d is not my area:p

32. Farfarer

Farfarer

Really like the face and hair on her, dogzerx :)

33. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

So you're telling us that you self-taught yourself to make such amazing models?!No classes/university studies...?
    But you have some knowledge in the arts background,don't you?

Also is there any difference between Mudbox and Zbrush?I'm looking forward to buying one of them and I can't really decide...

34. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks good. The only thing I would change would be the text color. Some times you can't read what it says (like when it goes over the sky).

35. Farfarer

Farfarer

It's pretty easy to teach yourself this stuff. All of the information is out there on the web for free in some form or another.

Just takes time and practice... lots of practice :)

ZBrush/Mudbox... eh. In my books, Mudbox is far easier to use at first, much lower barrier to entry. ZBrush is complex and convoluted but I think in many regards it's a far more powerful program than Mudbox. I started on Mudbox but after I got to grips with ZBrush, I prefer ZBrush :)

36. StormGamer

StormGamer

cool, didn´t knew mudbox had a good texturing capabyility , im going to try that out right now!
    i hate photoshop texturinh

37. janpec

janpec

As you said no school, however i am quite good at clay sculpting and have been able to make good clay models since 10. It is interesting that from clay to 3d app you cant transfer almost none knowledge. Really barelly anything, and if you dont know how to use software you can wipe your ass with that knowledge:p On other hand it is interesting that from 3d sculpting to clay you can transfer a lot. There is alot of technicalities or anathomy that you have to learn in order to make decent models, all that really makes difference once you get back there.

Yep as he said, its practice and tutorials.
    Mudbox is the easiest software i have ever used. I would dare to say that it is easier than Unity. Mudbox is like combining UDK and Unity together. You get extremely fast results with great visual results, and no glitches, pipeline problems or anything..Zbrush has more features for sure, but that doesnt mean that it is 100% better software for someone to use it instead of Mudbox. It just means that is great to use it along with Mudbox becouse there are some features in Mudbox missing. Texturing in Mudbox is far more powerful than Zbrush. Unless you are polypaint master it would be hard to create similar results to Mudbox becouse layering feature in Mudbox and color correction is top notch. When it comes to sculpting Zbrush is way ahead of Mudbox. In speed, freedom, subobjects name it. This leads that if you can use it or afford it use both, becouse both cover different areas better. My pipeline always starts in Zbrush and ends in Mudbox.

38. Priske415

Priske415

Janpec, your animals are so intense!

Ive been working on this hand painted stylized character:

39. Acumen

Acumen

woey, here's a chibi car for another iOS project :)

WrrrrrOOoooooOOOOmmmm

40. ivanzu

ivanzu

I would say that 3D coat is the best software for painting in 3D.

41. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  42. virror

virror

A sample would be nice if you want ppl to download it . )

43. Florian Schmoldt

Florian Schmoldt

messed around with the trial. Couldn't resist to kill it with postFX :D

44. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

ooh, nice. It's looking good. :)

45. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

We don't have the time or resources to do such excellent graphics as most in this thread, so here's a few very short videos of multiplayer cooperative play.

It's serious fun. :D

46. Avanger

Avanger

Realy impresive systme i love your game is possible to talk with you on skype?

47. janpec

janpec

If thats the case, you clearly havent used Mudbox yet:D Sorry there is no way that 3d coat is close to Mudbox texturing capatibilities (speaking as user of both softwares).

@ Florian Schmoldt Very nice scene and car. Those reflections sold the scene.

48. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

??? What's this awesomeness? You did this in unity? More info please!

49. Florian Schmoldt

Florian Schmoldt

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

Yes. Those are direct screengrabs from the exe. I'm pretty impressed myself. There's no magic going on.
    The scenery itself is very lowpoly. The car was done by a friend. Around 30k tris.
    I've rendered the env-cube in 3dsMax and baked the lightmap in unity. Mostly with area lights.
    The result looks a bit different from what I got from Max but since its more about bright reflections, its close enough.

and...tons of postFX :D
    I've used nearly everything, unity has to offer.
    DoF, Bloom, Noise, SSAO, Vignette, Chromatic aberration and a very green color correction.

Unfortunatly my trial expired but I will release a webplayer as soon, as I get my license :)

50. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

It looks so awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.