Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Slippy Seal - Mobile Line Drawing Infinite Runner

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Serinx, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Serinx

Serinx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    RavenOfCode and pcg like this.
  2. pcg

pcg

I like this. It would make a great touch screen game.
    It starts off a little too difficult for me at the moment.
    Perhaps the camera could track to begin with before speeding up or you could maybe use an idea similar to tiny wings where darkness catches you up.

3. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks for your input. Yeah I was thinking the smog could also come at you from the left and get faster :)

4. Serinx

Serinx

Updated the itch build.
    -Enemies spawn faster over time, starting slower than before.
    -Modified the font as suggested by some friends.
    -The Sky now changes colour every 50 meters.

Does anyone have suggestions for new enemies that could spawn as time goes on, and what "attacks" they would have?
    I'm thinking mostly animals (possibly mutated from pollution), but open to any ideas :)

5. Serinx

Serinx

Another Update to the itch build
    slippy2.jpg

-Camera no longer goes ahead of you as this made it too hard to recover when you're near the left of the screen.
    -Creeping smog now chases you from the left (thanks @pcg for the idea)
    -Birds no longer have physics for performance and they were a bit too unpredictable
    -Implemented object pooling
    -Fixed bug where Orca would jump at birds, and then not at slippy
    -Added particles for death and splashing
    -Stun durations lowered so it's easier to recover
    -Fixed bug where if you jumped high enough you could stay safe above the smog
    -Modified the smog particles at the top of the screen

Next up I will work on sounds and menus. Hoping for some feedback!

pcg likes this.
  6. Serinx

Serinx

Here's a video of progress so far. I have implemented a sound manager and added some sound effects too.

7. Serinx

Serinx

8. Serinx

Serinx

https://serinoxxx.itch.io/slippy-seal

New build available to playtest.
    -Basic menu
    -New enemy: Shark - appears when you're underwater too long
    -Seagulls are now bigger and deadly but slower
    -New enemy: Frigatebirds - they will try to crash into you and stun you!
    -Added hints to the splash screen
    -Camera now moves ahead of slippy a bit more at high speeds
    -Red "cursor follower" removed and replaced with a particle effect when holding mouse down

9. pcg

pcg

I like it.
    Quite difficult but that gives it that one more go feel.
    Took me a few goes before I realised you could actually go in the water :eek:

It seems like theres a timer that stops you from just holding the mouse button continuously?
    Perhaps seeing some graphical representation of how long you have left to hold the button would be nice.

The birds seemed to just kill me out right sometimes but not others, not sure why that was happening.
    Also I'd like to see the smog creep up to the seal before game over as it would give the sense of urgency that you are about to lose unless you do something fast.

Would be nice to see what others think but all in all I really like it.

10. Serinx

Serinx

Hey thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I am kind of going for a difficult game that takes some time to master, allowing players to beat their high score a little bit at a time over and over.

That's a good idea, I am thinking of limiting the amount of ice you can draw before waiting for it to recharge, but I'm just not sure yet.

The white birds will kill you instantly but they travel in a straight line, the black/red birds stun you for a short time but they aim for you. I guess I need some way to make that more clear.

Good point, the smog is supposed to creep up on you but it should probably be a bit slower at first and then speed up.

Thanks a lot for your time. It's great to have someones thoughts other than my own!

11. pcg

pcg

No problem. People on here are generally very good at giving feedback.
    I don't know, perhaps the art style is putting people off trying the game which is a shame.
    It was the game mechanic that attracted me because I tried something similar a while ago but it didnt pan out any where near as well as yours so I abandoned it.

12. Serinx

Serinx

Yeah I think I'll have to get to drawing or find someone to do that for me :p

13. Serinx

Serinx

I've been working on iOS testing which was a bit of a pain to set up but I finally got it running on my iPhone!
    I have also implemented ads and a respawn reward for watching a video if your score is high enough.
    Next I'm going to make the respawn a bit more forgiving, work on some art concepts, and add some powerups!
    I probably wont update the build until the powerups and new art are in, but let me know if you want to see anything :)

14. Serinx

Serinx

Hey people,

I've been re-learning Krita and threw together some quick concepts for the new Slippy design.
    Let me know what you think, which is your favourite and any design suggestions :)

krita_2017-08-22_19-56-05.png

15. ftvs

ftvs

This will be personal opinion, of course. I like the one on the bottom left. I like the eye design of the bottom right seal.

As for the game, I found my cause of failure rather vague sometimes. Maybe some visual feedback or death animation depending on cause of death? I was not sure what "smog" the hint was referring to at first. At this point I am not sure if colliding with animals kills me or not.

Good luck and have fun developing the game!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  16. RepoGames

RepoGames

Seems very funny to play

17. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks for the feedback :) Ok fair enough, 1 type of bird will kill you, the other stuns you, Orcas, the shark and smog on the left will kill you. I guess I need a better way of showing that. Any ideas how? I was thinking dark coloured animals kill you, light colours stun you. Currently that's backwards with the black and white birds so I might flip that.

I will add a death animation or particle effect when I implement the new art.

18. ftvs

ftvs

Animation, sound cues and outright telling the player what happened could work. Maybe give hostile enemies angry eyes and large, sharp teeth. Chomping sound effects from the shark and orca could work. These sound rather silly now that I think about it, but it would get the message across, heh. Hope that helps.

If you don't mind, I would really appreciate some feedback for my game, people seem to have wildly different opinions on its difficulty.

19. Serinx

Serinx

Hey thanks for the feedback. I tried out your game too and posted on your thread :)

I do have sounds when you get hit although they are free sounds and I could probably add something more obvious.
    I realised that because the hints are randomised, they don't specifically relate to the way you died, so I'll make the hints specific to what killed you. I'm working on the artwork and I'll turn those birds into angry birds for sure :p

20. Serinx

Serinx

Art is coming along slowly...

Unity_2017-08-28_19-10-07.png

pcg likes this.
  21. Serinx

Serinx

Here's a video showing some new art and parallax layers. The layers move at different rates based on the cameras movement. e.g. factories in the distance move slowly whereas some icebergs in front of the camera move faster.

22. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys heres an update video showing powerups and more new graphics :)

-Animations for birds
    -Parallaxing smog cloud to replace particles
    -nicer smoke particles from factories
    -speed boost powerup - launches you forwards and gives you a short invulnerability
    -bubble powerup - protects you from being stunned and killed by animals for 3 seconds
    -nicer transition from dead to splash screen

It's amazing how much a few simple tweaks and animations can make your game feel so much nicer!

I haven't put up a new build because I have ads and the code wont compile for PC...

Ignore the sound.. had pubg going on the background :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  23. pcg

pcg

Haha. I love it. Its coming along really nicely. Congrats.

Serinx likes this.
  24. Serinx

Serinx

After some testing and getting some feedback on mobile, I've decided the line drawing needed to be simplified. Keeping your finger on the right of the screen obscured your vision of the incoming obstacles.
    I changed it so you simply tap where you want the line to appear and a straight line is drawn from underneath you to where you tapped.

I have also added some unlockable skins as it felt like there wasn't much reason to keep playing - beating your score just wasn't enough!

Here's a pic of the unlock screen:

You earn "fish" by freezing factories and collecting fish powerups. You can unlock whatever skin you want as long as you have enough fish.

Here's the "Arctic Fox" skin in action, you can also see the fish powerup (top left) and the frozen factory in the background.

Hoping to have everything completed within a couple of weeks and if testing goes well, released to apple and android app stores early next month!

25. Serinx

Serinx

So I'm almost at a point where I'm ready to release this. I know there's a few nitpicky things I could spend weeks or months polishing, but I really just wanna get something out there.

Last thing to do is add a basic little intro-tutorial thing "tap to draw a line" - nothing fancy. Then test test test. Hoping to release this weekend!

Here's a video of where it's at:

pcg likes this.
  26. Serinx

Serinx

After a whole lot of mucking around, Slippy Seal is now pending review on the App Store!
    Woohoo!

I'm also going to release on the Play Store, hoping it will be a bit more straight forward o.0

pcg likes this.
  27. pcg

pcg

Huge congrats. Looks like a great little game. Hope it does well for you.

Serinx likes this.
  28. Serinx

Serinx

I just released my first mobile game; Slippy Seal!
    You can find it on the App Store for iOS and the Google Play Store for Android.
    Please show your support by downloading Slippy Seal on your mobile device, posting a review on the App Store or Play Store, and sharing this message!

Slippy Seal is an endless runner game where you use Slippy's ice powers to slide across the ocean and freeze the polluting factories. Get as far as you can while avoiding hungry orca whales and pesky birds.

Looking forward to seeing your high scores and hearing your feedback

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Seared.SlippySeal

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slippy-seal/id1296978539

RavenOfCode likes this.