Search Unity

Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by monkeyscience, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

LOL, the wait is killing me... this is the one asset that will DIRECTLY alter the way games in Unity will look...

2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

And I will be right there selling my 360 degree panoramas... ;)

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice dude... I was trying to find out if I could use my panorama skies from Vue in skyshop... but I also hope in a future update that we can place balls in the environment to switch between cubemaps :)

4. Autarkis

Autarkis

If you think the marmoset post process are cool, you should take a look at the post process that ddo has with their preview version of skyshop. The bloom, abberation and DoF blows toolbag out of the water.

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

S***, give me that in Unity in real time, and i'll be happy

6. Autarkis

Autarkis

For sure. Skyshop will change Unity like nothing else has :)
    Visually speaking that is.

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This.

8. bigzer

bigzer

Hi,

I have 2 questions I hoped you could answer,
    1. Do you already implemented emissive map inputs?
    2. We're doing a substantially big project and plan to have a web version, size matters a lot to us. Could you prepare permutations of your shader to allow for example Specular in Red and Gloss in Green channel of one single image? I'm sure you will attract many bigger projects like ours (http://www.pixelbeam.org) and this kind of feature out of the box would be really convenient.

Besides these questions, I wish you great success with the sales ^^

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

To answer the first question, yes... it is very similar to the Marmoset shaders... (I am a marmoset user) all inputs are open

10. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

1. Yes. We have RGB Glow Maps and a Diffuse Emission mask in the alpha channel. Diffuse Emission takes the diffuse texture color, masks it, and emits it like glow. It is included mostly because this is the only form of emission Beast's lightmapping renderer can handle.

2. Unfortunately no, out of the box the shaders use RGB specular maps, something we felt Unity was sorely in need of. I am planning on writing much more optimized, bare-bones shaders down the line, particularly for mobile. Grayscale specular and other channel-packing options would be a great feature!

... and thanks!

11. bigzer

bigzer

Thank you guys for those answers, am looking forward this package and cross my fingers in hope of seing those shader run with acceptable performance in our game :)

12. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

To be clear, Skyshop will ship with core shader source from which all the shader permutations were generated. If you are comfortable working inside ShaderLab, you should have no trouble building your own packed-texture shaders with our core IBL tech.

13. AustinK

AustinK

Not sure I understand. This is fairly new to me. Care to explain in more depth?

14. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Sure, that was maybe a little confusing so I'll go over it all.

Skyshop will come with a pile of 30+ shaders, all built in ShaderLab. To the artist, these shaders will look a lot like Unity's, built of the same basic feature combinations:
    Diffuse
    Specular
    Bumped Diffuse
    Bumped Specular
    Transparent / Diffuse
    Transparent / Specular
    Self-Illumin / Bumped Diffuse
    etc.

These 30+ shader files are all built from the same handful of Cg-include files that contain all of the core Marmoset IBL tech. All the important stuff, the lighting math, the texture sampling, its all in there, shared by all the shaders, and you'll get the source code :).

The .shader files themselves are relatively boring by comparison. Each one declares what features it wants, followed by #includes and nothing more. This example creates a Bumped Diffuse shader with both image-based and direct lighting:
    Code (csharp):
    2. #define DIFFUSE_IBL
    3. #define DIFFUSE_DIRECT
    4. #define NORMALMAP
    6. #include "MarmosetCore.cginc"
    7. ...
    Skyshop comes with full shader source for all the Marmoset Cg-include files and the four core shader permutations of:
    Diffuse
    Specular
    Bumped Diffuse
    Bumped Specular

The remaining shaders will come pre-compiled, as they are simple repeats of those four but with blending enabled, or a glow-map flag added, or some such; pretty easy to write yourself. The full set of shaders also takes forever and a day to compile >_<, especially on windows, so pre-compiling them saves you from a 20 minute package import.

15. HunterPT

HunterPT

If I'm not mistaken, one can shorten this out to basically this, if you know how to build shaders you will be able to easily build custom ones that take advantage of the marmoset toolbag features.
    Which means that you are not limited to what the package brings, and since you get access to the cginc (files that basically says how light behaves and so on), as well as the source code of the shaders (a few of them so you can see how they work), you will be able to make the shaders fit your needs, so if a shader is too performance hungry (or any other problem) you will be able to create one that works for your situation (obviously there is no magic, certain features cost performance).

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. haruspexile

haruspexile

this is utterly fantastic news

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Any chance for a discount for existing Marmoset licensees? ;)

18. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Magic is slated for version 1.1

19. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Not as of yet, I'm not sure this is possible through the Asset Store.

20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

One other thing. Will skies and the data that is output from the SkyTool in Marmoset Toolbag be 100% compatible with Skyshop's IBL shaders?

21. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

No, the SkyTool output is custom to Toolbag much like Skyshop's outputs are cubemap assets specific to Unity.

The source images for Toolbag skies will load up in Skyshop just fine though. I've been meaning to package up the Toolbag default skies as Skyshop freebies.

22. ronjart

ronjart

Are these really performance heavy shaders? All the demos are small scenes and I was curious how it scales.

Looking really, really great.

23. chingwa

chingwa

Congrats on the release, and the front-page feature!

24. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

25. kenshin

kenshin

Congratulation for this great job!

Now we need a good tutorial on it. :)

26. yung

yung

Happy to have purchased this. Gonna take my models for a few test run

27. ronjart

ronjart

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the oculus-rift integration in Unity (stereo rendering and warping)? I just don't want to shell out $125 just to realize that for some technical reason that is beyond a noob like me, it's not compatible. Sorry for all the questions.

28. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

There is no reason it should not work with an Oculus. In fact when you get it working, post a demo somewhere! We would love to check out Skyshop in three dee.

29. homerender

homerender

Hello. I saw an advertisement in the Asset Store and was very interested. I would like to know more about the performance. Is there any documentation or tutorials? Picture made with ​​your asset is really perfect.

After June 15, when will the money from the Asset store I most likely purchased. And in at least two of my friends that I showed your Asset, are going to buy it :) I even talked about you on my favorite site for 3D graphics)

http://www.3dmir.ru/blog/theme/1816.html

30. cl-apps

cl-apps

I've just purchased! looking forward to playing over the weekend and maybe a cheeky bit here and there during Friday... Hope it's good after this long wait....

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Perfect timing... In the price alone is a steal...And now I get back my project

32. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

And now that my precious Work In Progress has grown up into a released Work In The Wild, its time to move Skyshop discussion to the Assets Asset Store board. I have started a new tread, please post further questions here:

Assets Asset Store | Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools

Thanks for following my progress and for all the great questions suggestions. Keep them coming, Skyshop is not perfect yet! We are going to continue growing and improving it over the coming months. Hopefully this will spark many other Unity + Marmoset tools down the line.

33. marcos

marcos

Just grabbed it, congratulations on the release!

34. skunkbeard72

skunkbeard72

Do you guys have any more images from IOS hardware?
    Im sure "Many" people are Very curious how much stress it can handle under mobile?

35. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Hello and thanks for bringing your great product to Unity.
    I just bought and downloaded the product but I have run in to a strange issue already. I imported an .HDR-image into the project, and the PNGs were generated as described in your manual. But the PNGs are completely black and very small (22kb or something).

I got my HDR image from: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
    Where I downloaded the Desert_Highway HDR.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

/Sebastian

36. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I checked out that particular sky and it does indeed load up as black when converted to RGBM. I'm not sure what is different about that particular .hdr file, other skies on that site work. I'll be looking into this.

Meanwhile, as a quick fix for Desert_Highway, load it up in Photoshop and save it out again.

37. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Thanks a lot. I just had really bad luck that that was the first one I tried. All the others I've been working with has worked perfectly. Once again, thanks for this awesome plugin.

38. derkoi

derkoi

Would love to see it run on mobile. :)

39. WalterEspinar

WalterEspinar

Wow! this look amazing!. some buyer can post a screenshot using this shaders?
    Thanks!

40. techmage

techmage

I'm curious to know the full feature list of what works on iOS, and what limitations there are on ios.

Namely, does iOS have these things:
    Fresnel?
    Blurred Reflections?
    Exposure control? In realtime?
    Change of gamma space?
    How do you modulate the intensity of the reflection? Is this done based on luminance of the lightmap? Or can you load in more fancy maps like a reflection occlusion map, or other?
    How many passes are the shaders? Are they going to increase vertex or drawcall count?

And is it only iOS or android as well?

Are the shaders all written in GLSL, or only the iOS ones?

41. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

These are some great questions. I posted answers in the official Skyshop Asset thread, hope you don't mind. I'm sure many there have the same questions.

Assets Asset Store | Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools

42. Bside

Bside

Hi monkeyscience,

I just bought Skyshop this morning, but I'm having a problem I'm afraid! It doesn't show up in my Window menu.

I've tried a number of things. Reloading the scene, reloading the project and restarting Unity. I also tried starting a new project and importing a custom package file directly from the "Skyshop Image-Based Lighting Tools Shaders" package file I found by searching my HDD. Nothing seems to get it showing up in the menu.

Any ideas?

Dan.

43. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Hmmm, maybe you can delete the package and re-download it from the Asset Store? Once you click import in the Asset Store it should import a whole Marmoset/ directory into your current project, editor scripts and all. Do you see a Marmoset/Skyshop/Editor/ folder full of .cs scripts? Also, what version of Unity are you using?

44. DavidBun

DavidBun

NFS graphics = Unity3d + Marmoset Skyshop :)

$car1.jpg $car2.png $car3.png

45. carking1996

carking1996

46. homerender

homerender

Feeble. Here's a picture by my friend. He makes it on Unity WITHOUT Marmoset Skyshop. I think you still need to learn how to render with MS.

Attached Files:

47. derkoi

derkoi

Would love to see some before after shots or some footage running on a mobile device

48. Courvee Black

Courvee Black

So, if anyone wants, i can show more screenshots, that looks like this one...

49. janpec

janpec

I think that reflections on both cars are way too strong. Probably just using blurred image map shader would do enough.

50. Bside

Bside

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.