Search Unity

Skinned Mesh Renderer Animations: Broken Skin

Discussion in 'Animation' started by plmx, Apr 20, 2017.

1. plmx

plmx

We're having some weird issue with a Skinned Mesh Renderer on a hand model. The hand is normally in a flat position, and is then animated (normal Meccanim Animation) to form a fist. During this animation, the skin is usually stretched along the bones as expected and looks completely fine.

However, for one of our clients, this does not happen; instead, the skin is broken as shown in this screenshot. It looks like there is no deformation going on at all and the parts are simply rotated without deformation.

brokenskin.png

We have no idea what could cause this since we can't reproduce it on multiple machines. This is a build version on Windows x64 using VR (Oculus SDK). The same binary shows this issue on some machines but not on others.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this issue and how to resolve it or how to get more information?

Thanks!

2. bgolus

bgolus

Looks like a problem with skinning getting set to use single bone weighting, probably from using a lower quality setting.

plmx likes this.
  3. plmx

plmx

@bgolus Perfect. I can reproduce with single bone weighting. Thanks a lot!!

However, now I am wondering how they managed to choose a different quality level, since we're not exposing them. I thought Unity doesn't auto-apply quality settings based on present hardware, or does it?

blackant likes this.