Search Unity

Single Pass Checkbox splits view inside Oculus (Solved)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by RedRiverStudio, Oct 20, 2016.

1. RedRiverStudio

RedRiverStudio

I recently went to a couple talks on VR in Unity and some of the suggestions included turning on Graphics Jobs and Single Pass Render for optimization.

Graphics Jobs has worked well but Single Pass takes the view in Oculus and splits it in 2 IE: Each eye sees 2 views. Then, for added fun, when you load a scene, it further splits that so you have 4 views per eye, and so on. I think I got it up to 16 views per eye before turning it off.

It is almost acting like a raw stereoscopic output into each eye.

Also, I get the Log Error: Releasing render texture that is set to be RenderTexture.active

Any insight?

Windows 7 64bit
    970gtx oc
    16gb ram
    Unity 5.4p4
    CV1 updated
    Latest Nvidia Drivers

No post processing in scene in question.

Attached Files:

2. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

I downloaded 5.4.1p4 and tried single pass with Oculus DK2 and it worked fine. Are you using post processing effects? Some post processing effects cause issues with single pass due to their shaders needing updating. Are you using multiple cameras, by chance?

Please also feel free to file a bug using the in-editor bug reporter (under the Help menu) and attach a project so we can take a look at it. :)

RedRiverStudio likes this.
  3. jlindeman

jlindeman

I had the exact same problem. The solution for me was updating the "Effects" standard asset in my project, as NickAtUnity suggested. I always assumed that the updated standard assets propagated to my project, but that's not the case. You have to go in and manually re-import them. Hope that helps!

RedRiverStudio likes this.
  4. RedRiverStudio

RedRiverStudio

Initial tests indicate that updating the image effects have fixed it! Thanks guys. I will play around a bit more and see if it is consistent.

@NickAtUnity for that test image, I was only using one camera, but all other scenes use multiple, so I will test a bit more and let you know if there are any other issues.

5. RedRiverStudio

RedRiverStudio

I just want to followup with this and @jlindeman if you have have experience with this let me know:
    Upgrading the Standard Assets Image Effects have, so far, worked brilliantly. Everything is running faster and smoother with the one exception of the new Ambient Occlusion. So far, when Ambient Occlusion is on, I gain about 10ms in rendering, which trips up the CPU and get terrible judder when looking side to side. This was never the case with the old ambient occlusion (SSAOEFFECT.cs).

So then I thought I would be a smarty and download the Cinematic Effects Asset Package since they have a good AO in there, that results in the original Screen Splitting issue I had at the top. Even for the Cinematic Effects AA, it splits the screen. Are these new effects not built for VR? Why is AO running so drastically slower than its predecessor?