Search Unity

Simple Networking or Something else? Need an advice!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IBMI, Mar 7, 2017.

1. IBMI

IBMI

Hi to all,

I have a question to all the people that have a good overview and need an advice which direction to go.

I have a unity VR and need to receive data from another application that is programmed in C++.
    Both runnig on the same machine and I have at first only to send some numbers.
    What would be a good approach?
    Somebody said TCP/IP over localhost would be a good solution...if this is the best way...which direction would be a good thing to go. I read about the Multiplayer routines, that Unity3D allready has and about the Unity Networking Transport Layer (for smaller stuff).
    The ugliest way would be to write in an file and the VR will read it, but thats not a solution for me.
    Is there a better way or is it TCP/IP. And if TCP/IP is the best way the TRANSPORT LAYER API?

Any advice to learn into the right direction?

Thanks

2. mgear

mgear

what kind of data?
    does it have to be realtime? its streamed or just some data send once..?

3. IBMI

IBMI

Its realtime...so lets say the vR is runnning vor 30 minutes and gets a stream of integer values and I have to detect if there is a change in the stream and adapt the VR...its also possible that the other application(not the VR) is detecting a change and sends a flag to the Unity VR...and then the VR is changing. Both is possible for me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. mgear

mgear

would it be then possible to do processing (detecting data changes) in the server,
    and only send message when client needs to do something?

5. IBMI

IBMI

Hi,

yes..that would be possible. If the server something detects it can send a message and the client knows he hast to change something in the VR.