Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuriken Magic [EFFECT PACK]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalamona, Jul 23, 2012.

1. kalamona

kalamona

Happened with me too. I wrote to the asset store about this issue.

2. Archania

Archania

Very glad I came to look in the forums. I was able to update other assets but for some reason yours gives that error. Hopefully they will be able to fix it soon but given the weekend, it will probably be on monday. Thanks for the heads up though kalamona.

3. kalamona

kalamona

If anyone wants the package urgently, you can email me at kalamona01@gmail.com (please add your invoice number too), and I will send it to you. The package is just a few small bugfixes and 1 new effect, so nothing serious.

4. kalamona

kalamona

The package was disabled from the asset store because the package file is corrupted. I was requested to send an update, which I did. Lets hope this issue will be resolved soon.

5. kalamona

kalamona

6. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Is there a demo where I can see the effects in a 2D environment? I'm looking to use a 2D isometric view, and wondering if most of these particle effects will appear nicely. I saw one that was a glowing ground trail and it looked like what I needed, but I don't know how well that'll translate to 2D iso.

7. kalamona

kalamona

8. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

9. kalamona

kalamona

Haha, I already answered your PM, but maybe some other people have the same problem.

I am not familiar with 2dtoolkit. Do other particle systems appear? If you make a "fresh" particle system (gameobjects/create other/particle system), does it appear?

Maybe it is too close to the camera, or too far away, or too small. If the camera is set to ortographic with a size 100 (that is the default when switching), then it is probably just too small to notice. But anyways it should work, I've noticed the effects in several 2d games.

10. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Hi Kalamona, particle systems is appear, but is very small. I set camera orthographic same you request size 100 and change number different but it not appear, Then i scale it , but it not :(.
    Thanks Support.

11. kalamona

kalamona

Try to change the ortographic camera size to some small number, like 5. Make sure you change the parameter in the camera panel (so do not set the scale; set the size), like here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/ortographic/camSetting.jpg

Alternately you can try to scale the particles. I do not have a good solution to it, but there is a particle scaler in the asset store, http://u3d.as/content/roel-ezendam/particle-scaler/3mU , this one can be used to change the size of the effects.

I also made an ortographic camera demo, here it is:
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/ortographic/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

By the way, do the particles appear in the hierarchy view? And while the particles are alive, can you pause the simulation, change to scene view, and observe the particles?

There is also an idea: if you use some large GUI objects with alpha map, they might get in front of the particles, due to some z-sorting issues. You can edit the particles to be in front of other objects, by altering their renderer/sorting fudge parameter (to -10000 or so :) )

12. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Thank for your early response

I have already changed camera size before, but the problem still occur.
    I see you make sample by set orthographic camera, this is normally with 3D camera, I can make the same and run ok.
    But I have problem with camera of 2dtoolkit that is customized from 3D camera.
    Beside that, the particle is always on front of object, I only see some dots display.
    Seem you do not interact with 2dtk before.
    Thank for support, if you have any idea or know anyone meet the same problem with me, pls contact me again

Regards,

13. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    I purchased 2dtoolkit to try whether it has some issue with particle systems, but it seems to be working on my part. I tried one of their demo scenes, and added an effect to the player character, but it seems okay to me, the only thing that I enlarged the effect by 4 so it is easier to see. Here is the demo of 2dtoolkit using Shuriken:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/2dtoolkitWShuriken/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Really sorry about the issue, but I cannot help more :(

14. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Thanks support

15. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Hi Kalamona, Have Shuriken Magic implement C# script? Because I using C# Script.

16. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Hi,

Could you please answer a question?
    I create a scene as below image. I just confirm is it missing something to combine 2dtk with Suriken?
    $2dtookit-Shuriken.png

17. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    you don't have to use the effectCaster script, it is just here in the demo to showcase the effects. You can simply use Instantiate from a script to create an effect. But if it is useful to you, feel free to use, just I am not a programmer, so it might be not optimal.

I see that there are some dots, maybe very small zombie arms :) When you see dots like these, please pause the simulation, switch to scene view, and zoom on one of the ZombieArmBase's. Does the effect appear there? Maybe it is just very small.

Cheers
    Kalamona

18. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Hi Thanks Kalamona, I saw Shuriken-Magic ok, First i use Script Scaler You share (http://u3d.as/content/roel-ezendam/particle-scaler/3mU) , is can scaler , but it is bad for particle. Then I update 2dtoolKit -> Ver2.1 is it ok , it not use scaler. We only need edit Make pixel perfect = 100 is all good. Thanks

I have 1 prolem : I want check collider on Shuriken-Magic with Mesh Collider, I use void OnParticleCollision(GameObject other) {} , but it not run :(. It is only run 1 particle :WhirlwindBase. other is not . I is have checked : Send Collider Messages.

19. kalamona

kalamona

Really sorry, I never used OnParticleCollision.

20. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

So the way check Collision particle system with Collider ?

21. kalamona

kalamona

Did you try with a default particle system?

22. Harry Nguyen

Harry Nguyen

Yes, i use defaut particle system is OK

23. kalamona

kalamona

Though I never used collision with particle, my idea is that my effects are made of multiple objects, particles and such. For example a lot of my effects have a gameobject root, and 5-6 particle systems parented. Maybe you use this function on the gameobject (that has no particles), and not on the actual particle systems.

24. Sehlor

Sehlor

I wanna try before buying but i can't seem to open web player;

"The content was stopped because a fatal content error has been detected."

25. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    there are multiple webplayers, this one is the latest:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

do you have problems with that? Also which unity version and browser do you have? (firefox, chrome...)

Also there are 3 demo effects to try before buying:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/SM_3DemoEffects.unitypackage

cheers,
    Kalamona

26. Sehlor

Sehlor

Yes it was the one i have problems.

Using Chrome but tried with safari also. Using unity latest build. 4.2.0f4

27. kalamona

kalamona

28. Sehlor

Sehlor

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  29. Gorefoot

Gorefoot

Hi there,

Your effect pack seems perfect to me and i want to buy it, but i can't acces it in Unity.
    Each time i acces it i have the following error in console and the asset window stays grey :

ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
    System.IO.Path.GetExtension (System.String path)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LoadIconForSkin (System.String name, Int32 skinIndex) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUIUtility.cs:92)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TextContent (System.String name) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUIUtility.cs:32)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.get_cachedTitleContent () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorWindow.cs:511)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DragTab (Rect pos, UnityEngine.GUIStyle tabStyle) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:960)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:617)

Please not that this error only comes when i try to access your pack in unity store, i can acces and download all other assets i tried.
    I tried android or webplayer project type, same error
    I also tried with an empty new project, same error...
    I use Windows 8 64 and unity 3.5.7f6

Thanks for your help !

30. kalamona

kalamona

31. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Your work looks excellent indeed, are you planning to switch to C# for scripting?

32. kalamona

kalamona

Man, so many people keep asking that :) Not anytime soon, but might try later.

33. vlldllr

vlldllr

Well done. Great work. Very happy with the presentation during the demo. It's not fancy, but it's far easier to navigate your examples than with other packages I've looked at.

34. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

These are great. Best particles in the store!

I'd like to see a variety of heal effects as well as some kind of spell fizzle effect to show that a spell failed to cast.

Bryan

35. Bryan-Legend

Bryan-Legend

Also, if you really want to be awesome, add sounds to all of the effects!

36. kalamona

kalamona

37. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

You need to have a Start Speed of 1 or greater on the Particles in order for them to detect if they are hitting anything. Your method moves the particles by transforming them so the particle collision system doesnt know its moving there for never fires.

Just thought i chime in on this one.

38. kalamona

kalamona

Thank you for this one! Sadly a lot of effects cannot be achieved by just using "start speed", that is why I used this method. I had no idea it has a drawback like this.

39. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

It should not be a problem at all, Just make a note that a box collider will have to be added to the parent with trigger enabled. Then what ever the box collider hits it will send an OnTriggerEnter call, from there do what ever you like. I had noticed from before posts that the collision with particles was wanted an there was not a real answer for the problem, So when I figured it out decided to let you know what was up. Have a good one and happy coding :).

40. hopeful

hopeful

Since this is the 24 hr sale item today, I'm sure a lot of people will be trying to run the demo that is provided in the asset store and failing.

If you are using Unity 4.0+, be sure to use the link in the quote below.

MoonbladeStudios and Ghosthowl like this.
  41. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Thanks @hopeful . Was getting a weird 'Need to install Unity Web Player' with the link in the product description, the one you quoted works just fine.

42. kalamona

kalamona

Thanks, I changed the link in the store description.

43. jalf

jalf

Hi,

Your pack looks great, but when i try to import the demo package i get this error:

Error while importing package: Couldn't decompress package

i'm using the latest Unity (4.5.1f3). Please check this..i need run some tests with sprites before i buy your package..

44. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    I have only unity 4.3 right now, but in that I can open it without problems. This "cannot decompress" sounds a bit weird, if there would be any compatibility problems, it would happen only after decompressing I think. Maybe your download is corrupt?

Anyways here is another demo version, using unity 4.3:
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/SM_3DemoEffects_43.unitypackage
    try this please.

45. jalf

jalf

Fixed! the file was corrupted. Thanks!

46. Jemerson

Jemerson

Hi, guys.

First, congrats for you tool.
    The problem now: I intend to use it in a 2D game, but the ground effects are not visible due to camera position. I tried to change billboard options, rotate the whole thing, and I was able to put it in vertical position. but not in the angle I wanted to, such as via rotation. Any ideas?

47. Jemerson

Jemerson

A good friend provided me this script that changes the renderer mesh programatically, and allows me to change its rotation in the editor, seems to work fine. For example one may put it in the groundGlow, inside the sacredGround effect, adjust rotation parameters and voilá. =)

Attached Files:

48. elusive52

elusive52

hi . im using playmaker and the effect ForceFieldBase, can you tell me how i make it so i can activate it (using set active) then deactivate it mutliple times? basically i want to turn it on play the effect, turn it off then turn it on again play it again and turn it off and on and so on... right now it can only be played once and when i turn it on again the sphere doesnt show but the particles do, i need it to be able to be played/turned on and off multiple times?

thanks

ps i have removed the destroy time obviously.

49. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    I don't have the effects in front of me, but do i get it right, the particle effects show up, but the sphere doesn't? There are some scripts that affect the sphere's visibility, maybe try to remove those. Also you can check if the sphere is there, but invisible (then it is a material/shader problem), or is not there at all (then something around the activating is bad). You can check it by pausing the game, and looking for the sphere in the game hierarchy. If the wireframe shows up when selected, then it is there, just invisible.

Sorry that I can't give a more concrete answer, but maybe I helped a bit.
    cheers,
    Gergely

50. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hey Kalamona, any plans for more particle effect packs? I've bought loads of packs on the asset store and yet I'm always coming back to using yours as they look great and have no performance issues on mobile.