Search Unity

Shift jis on Android / mobile

Discussion in 'Android' started by elpuerco63, Apr 6, 2017.

1. elpuerco63

elpuerco63

This all arises from the fact that Unity wont observe EXIF metadata in images from the camera being loaded into a Texture2D resulting in the displayed image having the wrong orientation.

I know how to rectify this only IF I can query the images orientation and take action.

And there's the rub, getting the metadata to query!

I found this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66087 which I thought would be my saviour until I run on my Samsung Galaxy S6 which gives the error:

Unity: System.ArgumentException: Encoding name 'Shift-JIS' not supported

Speaking to the dev he put me onto here: http://helpdesk.unity3d.co.jp/hc/ja/articles/204694010-System-Text-Encoding-で-Shift-JIS-を使いたい

That suggests copying the Unity Editor dll files, l18N.dll and l18N.CJK.dll to the projects Asset folder but this then results in the error:

Unity: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in I18N.Common.Manager:get_PrimaryManager (): IL_0000: ret

So I am now totally out of my depth and lost as well as depressed.

I have spent days trying to doing something that should be so straightforward like loading an image and having it orientated the correct way!

Can anyone please help?

Selzier likes this.
  2. Selzier

Selzier

3. elpuerco63

elpuerco63

Can anyone on the Unity Team advise please? I'm going round in circles trying to place the dll files in various places, upgraded to Unity 5.6 and still getting the unsupported error, yet some have got this to work.

Is this a Unity bug? Really need to know so I can move on and try to find an alternative route, surely just to get the correct image exif orientation info should not be this painful?