Search Unity

Shadow artifacts (flickering) with deferred lighting.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Sparty, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

I have flickering right now, using Unity 5.3.4, it happens sometimes, and it is very annoying. Still looking for the solution here.

2. StevenP94

StevenP94

the only solution for me was to uncheck 'cast shadows'.. waiting for 5.5 to see if there is some good news.

3. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

In my case it seems to be a problem with the trees from Speedtree. The LOD levels are causing it. I will ask the speedtree team.

4. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

How is this still a problem?
    I cannot use soft shadows at all.
    With normal bias too high I get gaps of light in my shadows.
    With normal bias set to 0 the problem is fixed but now I have shadow banding on all surfaces not perpendicular to the sun.

This is very evident as I have a low poly scene that requires nice lighting (ambient occlusion and soft shadows etc).
    Also if I set ambient occlusion to ambient only it generates shadow flickering so I've had to leave it off for now..

This scene shouldn't be hard on my graphics card as I have a 1070.

Please fix this problem as it is ruining my game.

kideternal and Ignacii like this.
  5. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

I was having this issue with deferred rendering on with my explosion particle fx. Seems as if I put them on a separate layer and take that layer off the culling mask it works. Hope it helps.

6. Bruv

Bruv

I know this is an old thread but I was having a similar problem in Unity 2018.3.8. After I saw this post by hippocoder I remembered I had just focused on a very small butterfly object. After that the shadows were flashing like crazy. I didn't really associate the two things until I saw hippocoder's post. Thank you, that was the answer. Won't make that mistake again.

7. LaireonGames

LaireonGames