Search Unity

Server calculations issue

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Advanced-Software-Studios, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Advanced-Software-Studios

Advanced-Software-Studios

I want to make a server-only version of my game, to run on servers.
    This version is the same as the normal one, with the only difference that the screen shows only a black screen with some buttons with the server options.
    The entire 3D game world and every gameobject is spawned in the server-version of the game and the server should do a lot of calculations, for example if a raycast starting from a certain object is hitting a certain surface.

My question is: this version needs cpu only or also a good graphics card? Because servers doesn't have graphics card and i need to made it for only cpu calculations.

2. Whippets

Whippets

Normally, if you were making an authoritative server, you'd run it batchmode nographics as it doesn't need any graphics at all

3. voncarp

voncarp

This is tricky. I made a build only Unity server/game for use with Windows server. For Windows Server 2008 my build did not work. It required Direct X and would only work with Windows server 2012.

My suggestion would be to throw a test build on your server and see what happens.

4. Whippets

Whippets

I am running on Win server 2012 x64 - my realm and zone servers all running smoothly under very light load at the moment