Search Unity

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrIconic

MrIconic

It doesn't integrate with v3 by default?

antoripa likes this.
  2. RizeoftheSummonds

RizeoftheSummonds

Off to a great start. I just hope that this new tool doesn't use up alot of computer power causing it to crash frequently. I remember using the spline tool in UE4 to create roads and my personal pc as well as ones in the college labs, were slowing down expeditiously, especially when creating a road using the same spline. I hope they wasn't expecting me to set up multiple splines. Maybe I just need to purchase a super computer, before deciding on creating a 3D game again. In the meantime, my team is creating a 2D game. Check out my forum on here!

3. antoripa

antoripa

Yes, it is. but now I have even included a basic system to transform track to road or river.
    That is for who does not own ERv3

RizeoftheSummonds likes this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

No supercomputer and no crash.. I will release a limited free version so users can test the tool before buy

5. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ....
    I have just cooked up a the terrain blending from edit view .... thankand it is going to work . It's working in progress by I have just recorded a small video .. So .. please bear in mind that I have to improve but that's a good starting point ...so please do mot focus on quality ...just the idea behaind that feature ..
    oohh . by the way .. the road in the video is created out of box the my tool, without any other asset ...quite fast and smart ..
    More features are coming ...Please feel free to share feedback and suggestion ...you can even use that https://trello.com/b/0Q7gsJiS/wip-terrain-procedural-track-creator-for-roads-rivers-and-more

Cheers,
    Antonio

6. antoripa

antoripa

tapawafo and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  7. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ...
    the basement for junction works smoothly ...The mesh creation is switched of becuase I have not started the procedural creation for the junction .. but from the video you can have a right idea ...Tomorrow I am gonna start with the procedual creation of junction .. how long is gonna take ? .. no idea .. let's see tomorrow ...cheers.

BackwoodsGaming and tapawafo like this.
  8. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

I'm excited to see how mesh creation will work with junctions, nice work.

antoripa likes this.
  9. antoripa

antoripa

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  10. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

antoripa likes this.
  11. derkoi

derkoi

Watching this very closely. :D

antoripa likes this.
  12. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys ...
    I have created a procedual mesh engine ... and it's really cool .... it's a lot of possibility to create realistic roads .. and really fast ....I have created a race track around 7Km and whatever I change from the editor propagates in less than one second overall the track ...I am bit strugglingh with textures ..I am not really expert ..so I am trying to figure out a dynamic mechanism to apply texture adapting the UV coordinates of theprocedual meshes..if someone could address me , I will appreciate that ....
    With this engine I can procedually create junctions meshes ...o_O ..$
    One more points ...creating this engine now you have the opportunity to change setting locally .. the idea is that you can have junctions between different sized road .. so the procedurla meshe adapt to that ...:)
    So, I will send out a link for a new videos in the next few days .. and after full immersion to close the beta and relase that ...
    Cheers,

pixelsteam likes this.
  13. TorOle

TorOle

Sorry I cannot help you with request above, just wanted to let you know that I'm following this great project!
    Making roads that are "stiched" / fit on the terrain is such a pain, and if your tool can help archieve that I'm gladly paying for it.

Please keep us updated :)

antoripa likes this.
  14. antoripa

antoripa

hey .. thanks a lot ...I will share a video on that specific point in the next few days ....

15. TorOle

TorOle

Good stuff! If you do struggle with the textures you can let utilities like Gaia sort that out (or people just make their own splatmaps). The most important feature got to be to be able to make roads that are either the same model as the terrain or "stiched" togheter ontop of it and then conforming the terrain itself. The small grity-nity finetuning people can do in Unity or 3ds Max and tailor it for their own need.

antoripa likes this.
  16. antoripa

antoripa

I got you and I agree. But I have already sorted out ...
    tomorrow next video .....
    cheers, ...

17. antoripa

antoripa

Just a small preview ....100% with my WIP asset ... no external asset ...Road is around 7Km and is a closed track
    Btw ... thinking the name for asset .... not easy ...
    Cheers.
    upload_2016-12-18_23-39-26.png

upload_2016-12-18_23-40-9.png

18. virror

virror

This looks very nice : )
    One question though, if i want to use this to create a river as example, will this tool create the actual river mesh as well, or only the river "base"?

antoripa and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  19. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

You mean the surface mesh for the water? That would be awesome to be able to create those for our water assets to use. That is main reason I haven't played around with the river type water support in AQUAS and Suimono yet. Hadn't taken time to make my river and stream meshes. I hadn't even thought of using this for that. Good thought and question, @virror!

antoripa likes this.
  20. virror

virror

Yes, that was exactly what i was after as well : )

antoripa and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  21. ctherndon

ctherndon

Just found this, you are addressing all the issues I've been running into while trying to work with Easy Roads V3. Thank you.:D

I just subscribed to the board to know when I can throw money at you.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    antoripa likes this.
  22. antoripa

antoripa

@virror , @Shawn67 I can do. But I want to be sure to do right,
    Can you explain more what are your expectation from that ? If you can share any further information or example , I will appreciate. Thanks

23. antoripa

antoripa

I will try to setup AQUAS ... I know that many people using Gaia have that .. and I think that currently is the best on asset store ..

24. TorOle

TorOle

Good stuff, thanks :D
    By the way, the area around the road, can you chose how much of of it that is levled to the road?
    What I mean is that some rocky road courses will have a very tight road and small area around road that is at same level, sort of a mountain road, while some roads are more like highways or racing tracks which has a lot of the area around track at same level as the road itself.

antoripa likes this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

That's the idea .. terrain blending is really complex becuase the heighmap resolution ...so the complex point is to release a standard that can hit large part of needs ....maybe I can put a more advaced options where you can go in deeper detail .. anyway those features can be included after the first release ...

TorOle likes this.
  26. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    added one new feature to the beta release : PBR Texturing.

TorOle likes this.
  27. TorOle

TorOle

Kind of silly question, what is PBR?
    And what do you think final price on this thing will be? A student here so have to make selections on what to get and save for the the things I do get ;D

antoripa likes this.
  28. antoripa

antoripa

Phisycal Based Render ... Asset can handle that and I will include in the Asset even that kind of texture as base elemtn for road and guard rail.. ...Realism is excellent ... I will even include a shader for river :)

29. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I have just done few test on meshed terrain ....

upload_2016-12-20_20-53-27.png

30. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

@antoripa, Looks great. What's going on where the road loops back over itsefl? Is that where a bridge would go or is that an intersection?

I've tried using EasyRoads on Gaia-generated terrain a bit just for fun, and it can be really easy to accidentally create roads that are too steep and/or with too many blind corners. When driving on some of those tracks, it was way too easy to fly off the track at some points (aka, not fun).

Does your approach make it any easier to avoid "bad" tracks like that? I suppose it would depend somewhat on how crazy the terrain is.

antoripa likes this.
  31. antoripa

antoripa

With my approach track is created automatically between two points going trhought the short path with a maximum stepness. On top of that track roads are buid,
    Everything is procedural and you can build from edit or play mode.
    In the next few days I will launch a new video .. a racing car on a Gaia terrain ...thinking to create a WebGL or a EXE

32. antoripa

antoripa

What's up everybody ...
    That's from my WIP ....It's the inside road builder ... 100% procedural and highly customizable .. fast and reliable, full compatible with PBR ...You can change on fly in runtime as system is really faster than light :)

33. kilik128

kilik128

look nice we can try beta

antoripa likes this.
  34. antoripa

antoripa

35. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ....
    that's first shots of overall result ....Please feel free to share your feedback. Around 2 minutes 7Km road on a 4Km2 terrain..
    Terrain was created with Gaia with the oustading Tarrain Stamp Package by @Shawn67
    Road and Guard Rail use PBR Substance Material. I have not added any post processing FX .

Grab 20161223212938 w1900h1200 x-293y377z827r110.jpg
    Sentieri_PlayerCamera_2016-12-23-21-37-59_6144x2772.jpg

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  36. Mark_T

Mark_T

Looks nice.
    Would it be possible to do country roads, walking paths on the hills, mountains and forests?
    Somehow, I have a feeling that the mesh terrains will be harder to manage/use. Am I right?

antoripa likes this.
  37. antoripa

antoripa

You can create whatever you want :)
    "Sentieri" is really flexible.
    Now I am adding a bed river generator that's a bit different.

Mesh terrain is on my feature list. It's not really different from standard terrain. My only concern is that I am not sure if Mesh Terrain will be in the first release. Most probaly in the second

38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks for the shout out on the stamp pack for Gaia!

Will there be a way to control the smooth in cut-thru areas like the one shown in the first screenshot? Or will this be something we'll just need to go through using a smooth brush to smooth it to our liking? With everything this is doing, manually isn't an issue but it never hurts to ask.. :p

Would be great to see samples both of the modern roads and paths/primitive roads. :)

antoripa likes this.
  39. antoripa

antoripa

I am working on automatic smooth of the cut-thru areas. It is the hardest task ...Maybe the beta will not include that function ...but the final release will do ... a little doubt on that ,...
    I am preparing a demo with different scenario ...

40. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Wow! I am really looking forward to this! Now I believe what is left for me to do is get the Gaia running runtime.

antoripa likes this.
  41. antoripa

antoripa

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  42. antoripa

antoripa

Here we are ...I do now want to write down anything about perfomance ... but I can say that you will get astonished by that ....

upload_2016-12-27_23-21-20.png

kurotatsu and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  43. ctherndon

ctherndon

Exciting news! I am looking forward to trying this out.

antoripa likes this.
  44. Mark_T

Mark_T

No mention of mesh terrain on your road map. Only terrain.

antoripa likes this.
  45. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks ... noted and changed ... it was still in Idea .. I created a POC and I did not move to backlog .. just update

46. Mark_T

Mark_T

Thanks.
    When do you think that will be? Time wise, not release version.

antoripa likes this.
  47. mons00n

mons00n

How well would this work for creating dirt/gravel/stone paths for walking/wagons? My game won't have cars or roads but an easier way to make a "path" would be fantastic! I've tried easyroads but haven't had the results I was hoping for.

antoripa likes this.
  48. antoripa

antoripa

If you can share an example of what expected, I will quickly reproduce with Sentieri.

49. mons00n

mons00n

Well I basically mean draw a path that is narrower than a "road" and would more or less resemble a walked or card driven path.

antoripa likes this.
  50. antoripa

antoripa

It will not a part of first round. That round will focus on standard terrain. Second round will include mesh terrain ...let's me say that mesh terrain are even crucial from my point of view becuase will even add more features to standard terrain ( I cannot say more :) )