Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling on the Unity Asset Store - Earn 70% each sale, non-exclusive!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snupiman

Snupiman

Hey caitlyn,

I was wondering if it;s possible to publish assets to asset store as community. We are currently working on 14 day Unity Slovakia Challenge project from which we will have an asset that we would like to publish to Asset Store.

Is it possible for a community to be a publisher?

2. squared55

squared55

After releasing a product on the store, what would be the fastest way to get in touch with the asset store team?

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there a way for publishers to see the distribution of scores on an asset ? This is extremely useful to gauge the current state of the system, possible issues that can cause downvoting that may have mot been grabbed during testing etc

A simple reference of how many 1-2-3-4 and 5 stars are in the hidden scores would be great to have as preview option.

4. Killbix

Killbix

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can't; it's up to Unity to pick them. Keep in mind there are thousands of assets on the store.

--Eric

6. Killbix

Killbix

thx
    thx for the answer

7. QFSW

QFSW

Is VAT taken before or after we get our 70% cut? I'm assuming the latter, but official word would be nice
    Do we need to deal with VAT manually or is it done before we are paid?

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If you want to promote your asset, start a topic about it; don't post in this topic. This topic is a discussion about selling on the asset store.

--Eric

9. xamur

xamur

Ok, I'm sorry! :)

10. Executioneer

Executioneer

I was planning to release an plugin on the AssetStore. It is my first one so far, so I hope this is the right place to ask some questions.

I wanted to inquire if Unity helps you out with anything in the process of selling the asset, whether it be marketing or community building or any other help for that matter. I know they can discount it, which probably gives you visibility and what have you, but that's as far as I know.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

A bunch of developers have put together a list of tips here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-make-better-code-assets-for-the-asset-store.366355

For discounts, make sure to fill out the Asset Store Sales Sign-up Form on the Info tab of your Asset Store Publishers administration page. The waiting list is quite long. It might take more than a year to get on a sale.

The rotating carousel on the Asset Store's front page is curated. If a new product catches their eye, or if a product fits a certain theme, it might make it on.

Once you're selling on the store, contact the Asset Store folks to request an invitation to the asset publishers Google group where you can communicate with other publishers and the Asset Store devs. One of the tips shared there recently is that YouTube is a major avenue into the Asset Store. Make sure to include links to your product(s) and your publisher page in each video's description.

And good luck!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Executioneer

Executioneer

That's a really good thread going on and thanks for the tips.

13. Martin_H

Martin_H

I would like to know if there currently is support for "joint effort" assets. Let's say I want to team up with 2 other people and we each did varying amounts of work on the asset and agree to split the 70% of the retail price e.g. as 20%, 30%, 50% between the 3 of us with one person being responsible for the asset upload under his account and providing support. Is something like this possible in a way where the revenue automatically gets distributed to the contributing people with the previously agreed upon split?
    If not, please consider it as a suggestion. I think teams of several artists, or coders and artists, could bring great value to the assetstore and it would make collaborations a lot easier and safer for the contributing parties.

14. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, I'm looking at starting to sell add-on models for existing assets. To make things easier for the end-user, I was thinking of creating scripts which inherit from an existing asset, and attach the inherited scripts to the prefabs in my asset pack. If my asset store listing clearly states "requires product XYZ" and tells you to import product XYZ before importing my asset, is this likely to get rejected due to not compiling just my asset in a clean project?

15. Martin_H

Martin_H

I guess you'd need to be able to provide your asset isolated in a clean project. There is a zone manager for scion, check out how he structured it. Based on this it seems to be allowed to make complimentary assets. Of course you can't bundle that asset with yours. Might make setting up prefabs tricky.

16. 600

Yes you can, I have prefabs for SIMPLE and 1Poly assets in my products that are NOT included by default, like the Playmaker needed for scripts to function. Before putting them, I have contacted the publishers if they are ok with it. I suggest you contact asset creators you want to work with.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. tapticc

tapticc

Thanks for the responses, I'm in touch with the original asset developer. I've emailed Unity for official clarification but would assume I would be OK, on the basis that existing assets are being published in the same way.

18. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

I have some questions about the asset store provider agreement, refunds in particular.

What does this exactly mean?
    To me it sounds like something like this:
    Let's say I'm selling an asset for 10 dollars. Unity takes 3(30%) dollars and I receive 7(70%). When I fail to provide adequate support does this mean that I have to refund the customer the full 10 dollars?
    Not that I'm planning on providing bad support, but a possibility like this where I can lose money on my product just makes me a little scared to be using the asset store.

Mister-D and Martin_H like this.
  19. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

No it doesn't work like that. The $10 would be taken from your net, before Unity takes the cut. Basically the refun is also split 70/30 so its as though the sale never happened in the first place

20. Bitboys

Bitboys

Personally i don´t know if my work is "Amazing" but i hope that the love and dedication they have put in over the last 4 mounths in my first asset pack, are sufficient for Unity accept it in the Asset Store. Fingers crossed! :) Sorry for my poor english :(

21. QFSW

QFSW

thats some solid coherent low poly art right there

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

VAT is collected by Unity and paid to the corresponding authority (I guess in Denmark).
    You don't get VAT.
    You get 70% of the asset price you specified in $ (VAT is not present here since it's only applied in Europe).

You can justify this income issuing an invoice to Unity with 0 VAT if you are a registered economic operator in EU.

23. orb

orb

More specifically only in the EU. Non-EU European countries don't pay VAT either. Or at least they shouldn't.

24. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

If I have the right to use someone asset, one of Unity's project for example, can I use their art for demonstration purpose in my scripting package?

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

You can use Unity free assets but I know of some cases of asst rejection when using other publishers free assets even with permission. Maybe those cases have been solved after clarification by the publishers during the vetting process but have caused some trouble accidentally.
    Perhaps Unity should clarify this extent (can free assets from other publishers be used in other asset packages with proper permission? How to prove that permission if proof is requiered?).

26. syscrusher

syscrusher

Is this the right thread to ask for advice on priced vs. free assets?

I have some code I created for my own use (still a WIP, but done as soon as I do some refactoring hygiene and method commenting) that is pretty broadly useful, and I don't see anything like it already out there -- which is why I had to build it. On the one hand, I spent about a weekend and several evenings making this (partly because I had to figure out how to do something unusual with procedural meshes). On the other hand, the final result isn't a big library -- by design, my intent was to keep it really small and non-intrusive to the project.

I'm certain that someone besides me will find my library useful, but I'm not sure I want to be in the asset selling game, so I'm considering just offering it free to the community. Having a small income would help fund me acquiring some other tools I want, but it would also obligate me to provide support.

One basic question I'd like to ask, from others who have sold low-priced niche utilities, is "What seems to be the community's expectation for level of support on low-cost items?" If I sell a small code asset for $5 or $10, will I be plagued with people who expect me to create their whole game for them or else face a one-star review? Or do customers seem to understand that it's not feasible for me to support a low-cost asset at the same level as one for which I charged $100? Is there such a thing as charging a very low price (like $5) and stating up front that at this price support will be limited to "within reason"?

If I decide to offer it free, in your experience do most people behave politely, and if they don't like the asset at least have the good grace to consider that they got it for free?

Finally, do most publishers use value-based or cost-based pricing?

Thanks for any advice, and if I've posted on the wrong thread please let me know that and I'll move to the right place. :)

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

If your Asset Store page is very clear about what the asset does, then when customers ask for support that's out of scope you can tell them and they should understand. But I suspect lower-priced assets may get more support requests than higher-priced assets simply because more people will be able to buy them. Whatever you base your pricing on, remember to factor in the cost of support. Anomalous Underdog did a presentation at his Unity Users Group a couple years ago on his experience with Build Report Tool, another low-cost code asset. I didn't find the presentation with a quick google search, but I found the blog post that preceded it: http://anomalousunderdog.blogspot.com/2013/05/my-first-time-selling-on-unity-asset.html

28. syscrusher

syscrusher

Very good point -- I had not considered this factor. (Of course, this doesn't mean I can get away with charging $500 for my little utility! :-D

Many thanks for the link!

29. orb

orb

30. movra

movra

Damn, deleted my post too late. I don't want Unity to start moving to Asset subscriptions!

31. orb

orb

I don't think that's going to be a problem. Isn't Apple's new thing only for non-subscription IAP? Anyway, skimming less off the top would be a welcome change.

32. movra

movra

It's the other way around: it's a move from 30% to 15% on subscriptions only. Both Apple and Google want developers to move from pay-once apps to subscriptions.

Of course Apple and Google are looking to increase overall revenue for both developers and themselves by betting on customers not unsubscribing. After the first year of subscriptions Apple will earn more in revenue compared to regular pay-once apps even with the lower revenue-split.

33. movra

movra

34. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

35. movra

movra

"Subscription-based selling of product and services for a select group of publishers."

Ah, you must have thought I meant the revenue split?

36. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

not at all. Of gotcha so this sounds more like what they're planning to do with the bundles for plus subscribers and pro subscribers.

37. Hazziq

Hazziq

Hi..How long does it take to get the first sales of your assets. Like 2-3 days, 1-2 weaks, 1-2 mounths.
    Does it take time for a new asset to be noticed in the asset store

38. QFSW

QFSW

Pretty sure when someone buys your asset you will be able to see that instantly under sales
    To actually get paid its the 15th of the following month

39. alexhapki

alexhapki

Hi there,
    I am thinking on selling my full game once we finish crowdfundin. Can I just send the compiled game to you Unity? Buyers would only get the full game, no scripts o kit to modify it, at least at the beginning, we might later sell the uncompiled game with the different scenes so buyers could do mods if they want.

Just in case it helps you with the answer, this is the project : www.legendsofeternalia.com, it is already on Made With Unity.

Thank you in advance

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You cannot. It's an asset store, not a game store.

--Eric

theANMATOR2b, QFSW and Martin_H like this.
  41. Kronnect

Kronnect

As @Eric5h5 said, you can't but you could sell a game template, meaning you could adapt the game project so anyone can download the source from the Asset Store without errors, possible including many demo scenes and tools + detailed instructions about how to mod / customize it so different games can be created based on this template.

Check out the Complete projects/Template categories here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=category:99

Note that you can't include any third party component, like other assets you used in your real game. Possibly this would make this task very hard as you will need to reengineer your game so it can be integrated with custom components (UI, database/storage, ...).

You also need to learn and think carefully about the business of selling assets first and what it takes (not only publishing but support, maintenance, ...)

TonyLi, alexhapki and QFSW like this.
  42. alexhapki

alexhapki

Hi Thrawn,

Thanks for that! I thought all those implications but I was not sure about it.

I guess I need to go for the starndard seller retailers (e.g. Steam). I asked it just in case, I like very much Unity and its community and I would have liked sharing any posible selling revenue with Unity before doing so with other selling platforms,after all the game is going to exist thanks to Unity.

So, I will just add assets that I created entirely but not the game. Understood!

Thanks again!

Kronnect likes this.
  43. iEpic

iEpic

If I made my asset store package with Unity 5, will I have to download 4.6 and export it out with that version for it to be eligible for the people using that unity version??

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes.

--Eric

45. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hats off to the Unity folks who very kindly and patiently answered my tedious and annoying questions here at Unite LA this week. As soon as I finish my documentation and get a web presence online, I'll be joining the ranks of asset publishers. :)

TonyLi and Flipbookee like this.
  46. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Is there a problem with submitting to the asset store right now? When submitting a new asset you're told to expect 5-10 business days for review. I have two assets submitted that have long passed 10 business days, with the first one fast approaching the 1 month mark it has been sitting "Pending Review".

I submitted a trouble ticket to ask what is going on, and the response was pretty vague.

edit: I post this and then got the approval message an hour later. I guess I just need slightly more patience.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  47. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm sure there's a big backlog from Unite. Expect delays around every Unite and GDC.

48. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Does anybody know if the asset store roadmap (https://unity3d.com/asset-store/roadmap) is just outdated or if all the listed features are delayed?
    There are some features listed which are very interesting for ongoing asset store publishers (like payout in multiple currency).

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's outdated. It sounds like they're focusing right now on a new and improved Publisher Administration interface instead of adding features to the current interface. Some info they provided:

50. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.