Search Unity

Segment based on custom Data?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by DavidSmit, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DavidSmit

DavidSmit

Would it be possible to Create segments for analytics based on custom events?

For example, I created a 'A/B' test, by giving 50% of the users of my build feature X and others not.
    Now I want to compare the basic stats segmented on these 2 values.
    Is that possible in some way?

Thanks!

2. Benvictus

Benvictus

@DavidSmit

Yes, this is possible. You can segment players by the difference in data sent via a custom event. The screenshot below shows me creating a segment for people playing my VR game with the Oculus Rift.

Hope this helps!

marc_tanenbaum and DavidSmit like this.
  3. DavidSmit

DavidSmit

Aaahhhh!! I thought it should be possible, I just missed the generic Event.
    Thank you! That solves the whole thing ( and opens nice new ways of tracking things ) :)
    Cheers!

Benvictus likes this.
  4. CharlesWard

CharlesWard

Unity Technologies

One factor to consider when using custom segments is that players don't leave a segment once they are in it. (Well, technically, they will be dropped from the segment after 90 days since the last "qualifying event.") While this is fine for many types of segments, it does preclude others. For example, if you tried to make segments based on, say, experience points earned, your high level players would remain in the lower experience segments, too.

The other factor to consider is that a new segment only gets data from newly dispatched events, existing data is not re-processed against the new segment rules.