Search Unity

SEGI (Fully Dynamic Global Illumination)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Jun 10, 2016.

1. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@sonicether: Hopefully, the initial launch of SEGI gives you the funding you need to buy a VR headset. :)

2. elbows

elbows

I have no interest in you selling the asset anywhere else. But purely for the sake of accuracy, I would like to point out that actually no, the asset store is a non-exclusive thing, if you sell on there it doesn't stop you selling anywhere else. Their guidelines do state that you shouldn't sell it cheaper somewhere else, and you shouldn't use free assets on the unity store to encourage people to buy other assets by you on a rival store. But the asset store publisher deal as a whole is still non-exclusive.

wetcircuit and RB_lashman like this.
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'd be pretty happy to get a hold of this wherever its sold, although im aware that support and customer maintenance could get complicated if its from different places (including private sales) but yes, i'm in on this one, it could make so many ideas work

Is it okay to ask what your initial price would be, and wether theres any early adopter approach coming?

Feature request: runtime static baking of areas, so you could reflect changes at runtime with the GI given a few seconds to complete, this would maybe be a good way for this to work out on mobile (im assuming there's compute shaders everywhere by which an ogles 3.1 implementation would be deeply appreciated, esp with the VR folk). The next request is pre-baking an entire scene quickly then the realtime blending in when needed

4. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@lazygunn I think both scenarios should hopefully be addressed as a result of the baking item on Sonic Ether's roadmap. Probably not in the first iteration. I mean, I'd love it if that ends up being the case. :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  5. shawnblais

shawnblais

Awesome! Again, I'm happy to do some testing for you if you like, we have multiple VR devices in-house.

Any timeline you can share with us about when you might expect to have a more performant VR ready version? Just looking for a rough idea... are we looking at weeks or months?
    Cheers,

6. Ryunis

Ryunis

Guys, I really wouldn't bet on using this for VR. In a few years maybe, but definitely not in the near future except for some extreme edge cases. Unrealistic expectations, don't get your hopes up.

7. lazygunn

lazygunn

It depends entirely on the nature of your project

8. sonicether

sonicether

9. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Insta-buy. Congrats, Cody! :) Looking forward to seeing this asset progress further.

RB_lashman likes this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Congrats on launching this !!

Am curious - how would it go on large scenes that have huge amounts of high poly speedtrees ?

11. SteveB

SteveB

Bought! Yay!!

Also throwing my vote (let me pretend I have one? :D ) towards VR.

Congrats brother

-Steven

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. Mauri

Mauri

13. neoshaman

neoshaman

And I can't buy it because they updated credit card with sms message :eek: I don't have a F***ing mobile phone, those are F***ing expensive to maintain :mad:

RB_lashman likes this.
  14. GMM

GMM

BOUGHT! :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  15. lazygunn

lazygunn

bam, got it, it works in VR, it doesnt work quickly enough but it does work, which at this point is promising. it looks great by the way. im hoping unity's effort for single pass stereo and this can get friendly, the people asking for VR support are going to rise at a ridiculous rate so definitely worth looking into

meanwhile im thinking of something fun and VR-ish to put this to

macdude2 and RB_lashman like this.
  16. sonicether

sonicether

Oh, sweet! Like I said, it's probably voxelizing the scene once for each eye, which is obviously a ton of wasted rendering. I could probably keep track of voxelization with some sort of static variable and then when the second eye goes to voxelize, it can check to see if voxelization has already occurred for that frame and skip that step accordingly.

ArchVizPRO and RB_lashman like this.
  17. mkgm

mkgm

I want to die!!!
    Unity debited from my credit card 80$us but the transaction doesn't got completed... then I can NOT download my SEGI.
    Please, someone shot me in my face!!!!

PD: I HATE YOU UNITY ASSET STORE!!!:p

RB_lashman likes this.
  18. lazygunn

lazygunn

Honestly if you want something tested quickly, just give a shout, id love to see this mature. Initial impressions are that certain optimisations benefit both vr and non vr, redundant voxelisation is an obvious VR thing but a cascading system as I understand it would really get this going, VR or not. I have absolutely no doubt Unity are following this thread and reaching out might be a good idea, although to be honest it should be them doing doing that. Even at the lowest setting the demo looks great, i'd maybe suggest chucking sponza in there, and exagerating the effect a little, just so people get hooked after the buy (although i respect your conservative approach to the demo) - more demos the better though I guess

Possibly a set of trimmed shaders might be nice rather than the unity Standard, which seems to me to be an umbrella case for a first start

I also found changing the shadow quality dramatically changed performance

What with Unity working on single pass rendering themselves, it might be better to communicate with them regarding optimisations, i cannot see them not being receptive to it (I've been keeping an eye on asset developers becoming Unity employees) - just to keep a standard I guess.

@mkgm - at this point dont be too worried if its a matter of days, as sonicether has implied you'd need to think carefully how you wish to apply your GI in its current state, a few days to think that over is no great loss - its not going to suit everything, in fact currently you will have to specifically design around it, but a quick look at the website shows the author is absolutely aware of the product he wishes to deliver and it's something i'd encourage anyone to purchase simply to see it mature before the price rises, and im pretty sure it will

RB_lashman likes this.
  19. lazygunn

lazygunn

And yes i think youre right about it voxelizing for each eye but i think there maybe more to it given the performance hit, might be wrong though

RB_lashman likes this.
  20. GMM

GMM

This asset is absolutely incredible so far, have some Sponza:

radimoto, sonicether, zoid25 and 2 others like this.
  21. blackbird

blackbird

any chance for a trial version ?

22. neoshaman

neoshaman

tjis thread is the trial version (also the demo released)

RB_lashman likes this.
  23. chingwa

chingwa

I think Unity just Levelled up.

24. shawnblais

shawnblais

Since it requires DX11, does this mean it won't work on PS4?

25. paulojsam

paulojsam

it will work on webplayer i wonder

26. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

Could someone make a build with the Standard FpsController (no bobbing)?

27. Crossway

Crossway

Cool thanks, now we should be worry about the performance!
    I think also reflection section have an issue! It doesn't reflect environment properly.

28. Crossway

Crossway

There is a problem, I test it on a big terrain 80km but I get only 1fps! why? does SEGI calculate whole terrains?
    Why it's all just doesn't happen in a specified area? for example only 1000 or 2000 far distance,

29. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

Video about SEGI from (probably) the maker of probuilder. Sonicether retweeted it, figured people here would approve as well.

Malbers, Brity, Lex4art and 1 other person like this.
  30. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Be prepared for Unity to gobble you up. Please don't sell out, please don't sell out!

On a side note, do you know when we will ever have a solution for shadow clipping? It's an engine wide problem. Same issues in UE4. Happens with low bias (0.001) to stop shadow leaking. The draw back is horrid acne.

RB_lashman likes this.
  31. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

32. crackfox

crackfox

i came here to be sad a bit.
    turned out its my birthday, xmas and new year rolled into one.

bought it and love it.

Brity and RB_lashman like this.
  33. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

As stated multiple times both on this thread and on the product website, Sonic Ether is working on multiple optimizations. You can see those towards the bottom of this page.

SEGI's ability to work in large scenes should improve over time, but you'll need to be patient for those enhancements to come.

RB_lashman and Crossway like this.
  34. sonicether

sonicether

It does. Be sure to check the Voxel Space Size property. For example, if you set it to 50, GI will only be calculated within a 50x50x50 (in world units) volume around the camera it's attached to. The speed of voxelization highly depends on the geometric complexity within the voxel volume. So, make sure to utilize the GI Culling Mask to make sure small high-poly detail/clutter objects aren't being voxelized, and consider having low-poly GI proxy objects contribute to GI instead of the high-poly objects that are rendered directly to the camera (see Section 4.2 of the User Guide).

SteveB and RB_lashman like this.
  35. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

That reminds me of a question, @sonicether. You have screen-space tracing as an enhancement you're actively working on. Forgive my lack of understanding (I just like it when you make things look pretty :p ), but would you need the high-poly objects that are rendered to contribute to the voxelization for that feature to work properly, or can you still use low-poly proxy objects?

36. sonicether

sonicether

Yep, you could still use low-poly proxy objects, and then the screen-space tracing will use the depth buffer on the camera (where your high poly objects are rendered) to provide high detail close-proximity light occlusion and (optionally) bouncing.

RB_lashman, one_one and chiapet1021 like this.
  37. rebit

rebit

Sonic is the new asset store milionaire !!! Thanks for the release ! :D

38. SteveB

SteveB

Hmmm...is there a way for an object to receive GI but not participate in the solution...such as characters?

In the manual, you more or less state that you would use the GI Culling Mask to remove smaller detail objects and characters from the solution, but of course (and only IMHO), you'd want at the very least your main character to receive lighting from surfaces.

Again I'm loving this asset Cody, great great job

-Steven

RB_lashman likes this.
  39. blackbird

blackbird

80 dollars for beta version that too much man :/

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Seems fine to a good number of folks who have been following this asset. You are free to wait until it's further along in development before spending your money and jumping in.

41. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well buy it now because it will be more expensive, GI is the hardest thing to have and it works already. So it's litterally discount on something that works that will be better.

42. FPires

FPires

80 dollars for a dynamic GI solution is honestly far, far lower than I expected even, considering the history of other alphas/betas and the hype over this asset.

43. SteveB

SteveB

$80 is damn near stealing for what this does...

macdude2, RB_lashman and chiapet1021 like this.
  44. sonicether

sonicether

Yep! Using the GI Culling Mask, any object that is in a layer that isn't included in that culling mask won't contribute to GI, but as long as it's using a deferred rendering shader (like the Standard shader) it'll receive GI.

SteveB and RB_lashman like this.
  45. SteveB

SteveB

Oh sweet!!

Thanks man!

-Steven

RB_lashman likes this.
  46. SteveB

SteveB

Cody, what were your settings for The Courtyard shots you have on your product page? I'm using that one too to play around and it looks great, but yours looks flawless...

47. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Tried out the demos on a good oooold 2012 macbook pro running win10 and it is gorgeous but also struggling in the fps department, especially when walking forward.

I know you are working on a slew of optimization and the demo doesn't allow to down res the voxel volume below 128 so it's hard to tell what part is killing perfs so maybe a bit more background on how your system work would helps?

Is computation done on a thread? strictly compute shader? What's the min hw specs?

By the way, no one thanked the asset store team for being so swift - so I be first : Thanks go to Alex and the whole team!

RB_lashman likes this.
  48. Kombiice

Kombiice

WOW, it's really up!

RB_lashman likes this.
  49. mkgm

mkgm

Hey guys,
    all of us were here waiting, asking, requesting, complaining, etc. for SEGI... and now that SEGI it's released on Unity Asset Store, it's time to give our support to "Cody Darr" (Sonic Ether) with our POSITIVE REVIEWS.

Think about this: truly positive reviews in the UAS means more sales for Cody, and that means a more mature SEGI for us.

Lets give our support to Cody!!!

RB_lashman likes this.
  50. SteveB

SteveB

Something small and neat I discovered, that if any of you own BeholdR, the GI solution displays in the Scene view as well as Game. Though it isn't identical, at least it helps getting a better idea of the lighting while working, leaving you free from having to drag the camera everywhere. :D

SEGIBeholdR.JPG