Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sea life pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by janpec, Jan 30, 2012.

?

How much would you pay for this pack?

1. 40-70$

94 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. 70-100$

37 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. 100-150$

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. pkid

pkid

It's a great pack. How is the other animal pack coming along?

2. janpec

janpec

Hm to be honest quite slowly, i am working on animals but for the project i am currently developing. In worst scenario (which i really hope it doesnt happen) if project doesnt run anymore, those animals will be added to pack. However animal pack is still in works and it is expected to be released somewhen later. Probably dinosaur pack will be released before animal pack.

3. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Your sea life pack is awesome, janpec. I wish my current project had a need for water life, so I could purchase it.

4. janpec

janpec

Thanks jc_lvngstn, i hope you will find space for Unity water and camera placed bellow it in your game:D

5. goldbug

goldbug

Thanks Janpec for this great package. We bought it over a week ago (darn, had I waited a couple of days I would have gotten it 50% off).
    Worth every peny. Best bang for the buck you can find in the asset store.

Here is a screenshot of 2 of your mobs in action in our game. It is the last picture of that post.

I have suggestions for your next update: crabs and crocodiles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  6. janpec

janpec

Paulp thank you for great words. I am defenetly open for any suggestions in future, i will defenetly keep it in notepad when i decide to make more updates or new packs.

Your screenshot link isnt working, maybe fixed version would be cool:D

7. goldbug

goldbug

Sorry about link. It is on our facebook page now, last picture. Our underwater world has a lot of your mobs. We are using the sea urchin, starfish, stingray, clown fish, the other fish, turtle, both ducks, lizard, otter and I don't remember what else :p

PS. Snails would also be cool ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  8. janpec

janpec

Only few more day of special 50% disscount!

9. unicat

unicat

Bought. :)

10. janpec

janpec

Thanks unicat for your purchase:D

11. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

amazing deal, snagged!
    So good you want to buy it twice!

12. janpec

janpec

Hehe, thanks jc_lvngstn :D

13. janpec

janpec

Only one more day of special offer!

14. janpec

janpec

Special offer has now ended, price has now been lowered to 50$ instead of 70$. Thank you all who have made purchase so far!

15. kersk

kersk

Great pack and a great value.

However, it appears that some of the assets shown in the first post aren't actually in the pack, such as all of the props and set pieces like the crab trap, plankton particles, coral reef, rock formations, etc. The coral reef models were actually the first assets I was looking for and they weren't there. That was kind of a bummer. Are those assets going to be included in a later update?

16. janpec

janpec

Thanks kersk,

Props have been uploaded to upload.com instead unity asset store, becouse it was too big in file size to include both and also prop pack is released for free so feel free to use this link and download assets.
    http://uploading.com/files/9f2m7b6d/....unitypackage/

17. kersk

kersk

Awesome!

It just gets better and better. The price to value ratio of this package is crazy.

Thanks! :)

18. janpec

janpec

Hey no problem, nice to see that you like it:D

19. janpec

janpec

Little bumpity bump:D

20. janpec

janpec

Hey guys, i might be putting together second underwater animal pack and i would appretiate if there are any suggestions for certain species or habitats. If not i will proceed with creating aquarium fish species.

21. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Well, habitat-wise: tropical/temperate/artic water animals would be nice... The current pack already contains some of them. I have purchased this pack, and look forward to see another one or two... Also, deep/night animals with flourescent lights would be awesome...

22. janpec

janpec

Ok thanks for suggestions everyone, due to highest demand of tropical fishes, that is probably going to be next pack.

23. janpec

janpec

Humpback whale has now been released for free (limited time) as gift for those who have purchased sea life pack, everyone else is welcome to download it too.

Follow this link to download:
    http://u3d.as/content/janpec/humpback-whale/2ZV

24. janpec

janpec

Special offer , now only 30$ !

25. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I could buy this package, but it is sooo realistic... It just doesn't fit anything I do.

26. thomaskwan

thomaskwan

I am using iTween's MoveTo function with some of the animals in this pack. Some animals swim in the right direction, but some swim backward. Anyone knows how to fix this problem? thanks

27. janpec

janpec

Just wanted to make sure if anyone else has problem that thomaskwan has with movement its due to fish facing different dirrection while they have been exported from 3d package. This can be easily fixed with importing fish model back into 3d modeling application and exporting it again in different facing dirrection.

28. xiaofeng

xiaofeng

I voted 100-150, thought I'm not buying as I dont need it :p
    Just that it's such a massive pack and very well made, making it yourself would surely take more than $100-$150's worth of time

29. janpec

janpec

Thanks for compliment xiaofeng, hopefully you will find it useful in future.

30. janpec

janpec

Price has now been changed back to 50$.

31. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Wow. 50$ for the whole package?
    If they are all animated as well that's absolutely under-priced. Really!

I voted 100 - 150$ and I think 150$ is the price you should be demanding for that as well.
    I mean ... how long did you work on that? *shock*

32. janpec

janpec

the_motionblur i have already explained that 50 dollars seems fair price due to that animations are very simplistic and i would like to see package being widely used rather than having few purchases with same income. But hey thanks for input:D (it took half year of free time work as i said on first pages)

33. ineteye

ineteye

34. janpec

janpec

Hey ineteye, you can download this free prop pack that i have put together:
    http://uploading.com/files/9f2m7b6d/Prop_package.unitypackage/

It has caustic projector in it, which can help you create caustics if need, but as far as other underwater settings in video goes it is really very basic fog settings and one script which was fog change script made by programmer that helped me, however that script is not included. It is basically script that changes fog over peroid of time. The rest is only Unity fog which is easy to set up, just make sure that if you are having very deep or very opened ocean then place some mesh plane in some distance from camera in order to see fog, otherwise fog will be seen only in ground and it will look wierd.

That script you got on link is really very simple underwater script, you can make better underwater settings by setting up everything by yourself.

35. ineteye

ineteye

Thanks ))

36. janpec

janpec

37. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Do all the creatures have a bite animation? If not, do they all have an upper and lower jaw bone? I noticed on the Free Humpback whale that it only has a single "mouth/head" bone. I'm willing to buy, but I want to know about the bite animations first.

38. janpec

janpec

Hey, yes most fish or creatures have upper and lower jaw and bite animation.

39. Cazual

Cazual

I have purchased this pack and it is awesome value for money however it would have been greater if the demo scene (shown in video, first page of this thread) had been included, or is it only in Unity4 that the Assets2 scene does not work properly?

40. 3dDude

3dDude

These look absolutely stunning!

Can you offer any tips for texturing?

41. janpec

janpec

Thanks 3Dude,

For texturing i would recomend using Mudbox and relying on your AO, normal and cavity map for every model if possible. This means starting from sculp in Zbrush or Mudbox, extracting all necessary maps and in texturing progress first laying out simple base colors. Then using dodge and burn brush to highlight areas on diffuse map that would be slightly affected by light (not too much since the rest is covered in specular). Then place AO and cavity map and overlay or multiply it on top of that diffuse layer. The last layer should be details layer which defines either skin or structure of surface of model. Thats my workflow, hope it helps. Specular texture is painted with first base layer using only for defining surfaces basic reflection, second layer is color diffuse texture overlayed with 50% opacity, this way specularity matched diffuse details.

If you are hardsurface modeler unlike me or at least if you do plenty hard surface non organic things i would strongly suggest to take a look at Quixel Ndo2 or even better dDo software, it is amazing. For organic things either Mudbox or Photoshop is the way to go.

42. 3dDude

3dDude

Thanks! this should be very helpful in the future.

Cheers

43. djarcas

djarcas

Have things been removed from this pack? I can't find the crate, rocks, plankton effect, caustic effect. Please let me know what happened to them!

44. fcasad

fcasad

Hi,
    The pack is great, but I was expecting to get plankton effect and rocks too, as shown as in this forum thread. Did they disappear?
    I use Unity 4.1, and the included demo scene does not work at all (3D models heads are exploded, don't get why), but all models works outside the scene, so it's not a big deal.

45. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

What happened to all the rocks,props and the plankton effect? Its not in the pack anymore
    Also it seems like there might be less fish in the pack

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  46. janpec

janpec

Hey guys sorry for late reply, plankton and the rest underwater props have to be downloaded from link provided on 6th page of this topic. I have uploaded them to upload.com becouse they were too big to include in single package with rest of models.

47. aagrlp640

aagrlp640

Hi, i bought this pack and it looks pretty good!! but after import it send me this messages, and cant run the scene cause i have this errors, do you have any idea?

$message.jpg

Best regards

48. janpec

janpec

Hey thanks for purchase. Those errors are simply errors on camera script as project was made with older Unity version. All you have to do is remove those scripts and all will work well. Sript name is CameraSmoothFollow, just locate it under Asset_models/animals folder and delete.

49. aagrlp640

aagrlp640

Thanks a lot!! it really works

50. janpec

janpec

No problem, for everyone from new Unity 4 versions if you experiance error simply do as described above.