Search Unity

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

What I would suggest is to set up a trello board, so we can vote on the most important features, this way everyone can see the progress and where you can focus your available time. Second is to encourage other programmers from the community to contribute to the project. For instance, I am more that willing to help you with the code beautifier - I want that feature so much. I know that working with multiple people's code at a time can be a drag, but on the long run, I think it will worth it.

As for SI3 becoming the default Unity editor, I have my reserves and doubts - if it remains a package in Assets Store, you can push improvements faster than Unity updates.

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  2. Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

If I were you, I would try to contact Unity Technologies and sell them my product at a fair price. Almost every day there are new editors entering the market and I wouldn't like this situation if I had programmed a non bloated IDE... Please don't take my opinion as advice, it is not advice, I am only telling what I would do, and obviously each person thinks different. The point here is that it is not impossible that UT could buy SI3 and integrate it into Unity (in fact the integration is already done), but it is very difficult or impossible that they could buy Visual Studio or Rider.

In my opinion UT is very clearly trying to sell itself to somebody big (Google, Microsoft, etc) and the bigger the amount of proprietary technology that they own, and the bigger the number of features that Unity has, the higher the price that they can ask for their company.

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Flipbookee,

Remember when I was having issues with SI separating tabs to new windows when I open/reopen them. It is back again after upgrading to the latest Unity version 5.5 on my Mac. I didn't figure out why it did this and I don't know if you followed up on checking out why this happened. It's just extremely annoying to have to constantly drag them back together on the same window. Let me know if you did any debugging with this.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jrDev, I'll debug that right now. It sounds like something related to the new Unity version and it might be because some internal members were changed as that part of my code relies on Reflection quite a bit. I'll let you know quickly....

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I found out what's going - there were some renamed internal symbols:
    - UnityEditor.MainWindow class got renamed to UnityEditor.MainView, and
    - UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.mainView property got renamed to UnityEditor.ContainerWindow.rootView

Here's a quick fix for Si3 to make it work with Unity 5.5:
    1. Open FGCodeWindow.cs
    2. Go to line 189 - it looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. mainWindowType = editorAssembly.GetType("UnityEditor.MainWindow");
    3. Change the "UnityEditor.MainWindow" string in it to "UnityEditor.MainView", like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. mainWindowType = editorAssembly.GetType("UnityEditor.MainView");
    4. Go to line 203 in the same script - it looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. mainViewField = containerWindowType.GetProperty("mainView", instanceMember);
    5. Change the "mainView" string in it to "rootView", like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. mainViewField = containerWindowType.GetProperty("rootView", instanceMember);
    6. That's it, so save and compile and Si3 auto-docking should work again :)
    7. Open this link:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/make-scriptinspector-the-default-unity-code-editor
    and add some votes if you aren't using them for something else :p so maybe these kind of issues wouldn't happen in the future... (just kidding ;) I know you've done that already)

And I'll make sure to add this change to the Si3 version on Asset Store this weekend. :cool:

Thanks for reporting the issue! :)

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey, so that actually fixed part of the issue, they join in a tab if one window is already opened, but if I hide and show the SI tabs, they all separate.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah, yes! Let me check that as well... I'll let you know...

8. Xepherys

Xepherys

Yes! I found Hack about a year ago, and use it in my dev environment for Unity (both Mono before and VS Code now) and also in Visual Studio for my day job. It's mostly some very subtle differences (the zero is fantastic), but overall I absolutely love this font for code. Really for anything that uses fixed-space.

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Novack

Novack

I ended up using DejaVu. Is virtually the same font, so found no reasons to use Hack.

Flipbookee likes this.
  10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yep, I actually think DejaVu is even nicer as the "i" looks less as a lowercase L. The zero is also nicer in DejaVu, I think ;)

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I tried... I'll keep trying, but there's really very little hope to get it fully working. The whole window layouting system of the latest Unity Editor is so buggy that it's impossible to even test it and see why is it not working! When I minimize and then restore the Editor, all the tabs (not only Si3 tabs, but all of them) show as black blocks. While dragging the splitters, the tabs don't repaint. When I close a tab, the tabs docked next to it disappear and console log gets spammed with a lot of these errors:
    Note that's Unity's internal code, nothing to do with Si3... When I drag a floating tab trying to dock it to another floating tab, that just simply doesn't work. It doesn't snap to the other floating tab as it used to do... :( There were more issues, not sure what were they, but at this point version 5.5.0 is more buggy then MonoDevelop used to be :p so there's almost no hope that I could fix all those issues instead! The Editor UI team at Unity should do that, but let me try a bit more, maybe I'll manage to find some workaround for at least something... I'll let you know!

Deeeds likes this.
  12. crafTDev

crafTDev

Ok, I appreciate it man. SI is my life in unity :p

Thanks,
    jrDev

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, there's hope to get most of the issues that affect Si3 fixed. I've fixed the auto-docking and now it even works nicer than before. The code changed more than I can post here and it also needs some more testing, so I'll release this all as an Asset Store update once it's ready. :)

Novack likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I think I fixed everything I could fix from my side unless there's something else I haven't noticed yet. :)

I've sent you the patch in a private message, so let me know how is that going to work. I just finished it and I didn't have much time to test it extensively, so I can't release it on Asset Store yet...

If anyone else has already switched to Unity 5.5.0 and is willing to try this, just PM me for the patch. :cool:

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Breaking news: :eek:

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.17

got just released on Asset Store :cool:
    ...with tons of improvements and fixes:
    • Si3 tabs auto-docking updated for Unity 5.5.0 - thanks @jrDev & @JoeStrout
    • Added autocompletion filtering when only a type is expected - thanks @laurentlavigne
    • Added Shift+F10 as an alternative shortcut to Context Menu key
    • Added option for ordering members in Code Navigation Toolbar by name or in order of appearance - thanks @thon Lorenz
    • Aligned context menu with the token under caret
    • Added option to disable live inspection of property values - thanks @_Adriaan
    • Added filtering option for unresolved symbols in References window
    • Improved incremental code analysis for generic partial types - thanks @eagleeyez
    • Fixed text flickering on pressing PageDown at end of file
    • Fixed navigation to operator members using Code Navigation Toolbar
    • Fixed grouping by #region of operator members
    • Fixed Context Menu shortcut not always working
    • Fixed a NullRef on context menu - thanks @thienhaflash
    • Fixed excessive width of dropdown menu in Code Navigation Toolbar - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Fixed default position when opening new tabs - thanks @laurentlavigne
    • Fixed context menu on some Si3 tabs titles
    • Fixed restoring focus on toggling floating tabs
    • Fixed NullRef exception on deleting scripts opened in Si3 tabs - thanks @_Adriaan
    • Fixed resolving of extension methods defined in parent namespace
    • Fixed resolving type of jagged array fields - thanks @sngdan
    • Fixed Go to Definition for generic methods
    • Fixed NullRef in Si3 UnityEventDrawer - thanks @thienhaflash
    Please update your Si3 even if you haven't updated projects to Unity 5.5.0 yet because there are many more fixes than the ones related to latest Unity version. :)

There was a couple of things that didn't make their way to this release, unfortunately, such as code folding feature which isn't ready yet and @Novack's refactoring of color themes, so those are pushed to the next version ;)

While you're on the Si3 page in Asset Store please use the opportunity to click the star rating button, or if you think Si3 is absolutely amazing and indispensable then feel free to say that in a review :D

I hope you'll enjoy this update as much as all the previous ones, and keep in mind that I can't wait to see your feedback! :)

Fronne, petey, Novack and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pixeye

Pixeye

Hi @Flipbookee ! I totally love your SI3 and enjoying it by far. Although some features like folding and showing references like in VS and the autofilling interfaces is something I really miss.
    ( refs like that )

Implementing interfaces

Also I would like to know is there any way to add custom fonts ? I've found a folder with fonts that can be used in editor and added one I use. But I can't see if it can be selectable in editor. Is it a bug or is there another way how to do it ? : ) And themes?!)))

Cheers!

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks a lot @pixeye! :)

Code folding is still in progress and it didn't make it in this release... ;)

Showing number of references over symbol declarations is a bit complicated at this point and related to static code analysis which I haven't started yet. :p One day, I will...

Auto-implementing interfaces is relatively easy to do feature, so yeah, I'll add that! :cool:

To add a custom font you'll have to copy the font to both Fonts and Smooth Fonts folders in Si3 and edit their import setting to something similar to the other fonts in the folder. Then open FGTextEditor.cs and search for one of the existing fonts, let's say inconsolata, and add the name of your new font to the list of available fonts, save and let Unity compile the script. That's it, you can now select your font. :)

However, note that many nice-looking fonts do not look the same inside Unity. I've tried many of them and the ones included with Si3 are the best AFAIK, but please let me know if you find something else that looks similarly nice or better than these! Because I'd be interested in including that too :)

Color themes are currently all defined inside FGTextEditor.cs and if you search for the name of one of the existing ones you'll see how to add your own themes. From the next version all color themes will sit outside of that script (thanks to @Novack's work) so your custom themes will not get overwritten by my future updates... Please share your custom color theme - I may be interested in including it in future versions. :)

Deeeds likes this.
  18. Pixeye

Pixeye

Thanks for respond : ) Totally awesome! About the font its Menlo font, Pretty nice for coding but I'm fine with Incosolata too : )

Flipbookee likes this.
  19. Novack

Novack

Feature creep for the using statements handling (didnt you forgot about that aint you?):

Notice the greyed out using in the middle? That is an unnecessary using statement, in Visual Studio. Add it to the nice-to-have!

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No, I didn't forget ;) and yes, that would be really nice to have! :) I'll have to do the static code analysis for that though, and that can only start after releasing version 3.1 (which is long overdue now)...

Novack likes this.
  21. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Here's a feature idea that comes from this thread.

The "Find All References" function should also (somehow) find places where a public method is being invoked from a Unity event in the scene (or better yet, all scenes).

Currently you might Find All References, get no results, and think it's safe to rename the function, thereby breaking any events that were invoking it.

My solution is to pick good names for my methods (especially public ones) in the first place, but if you could find all places that are invoking a method, that could be really handy anyway!

Flipbookee likes this.
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout Yes, that would be awesome! It's actually easy to do that for prefabs and GameObject's in current scene, but I have no idea how I'd search in all other scene... Does anyone here maybe know?

Nice. :) Well, if Find All References can find such results then Rename will be able to update those references too! :cool:

JoeStrout likes this.
  23. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Not me. But I'd say, even if you can only search the current scene, it'd be totally worth doing. (Maybe just try to make this clear in the UI, e.g. a checkbox labeled "[x] Find event references in current scene".)

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. petey

petey

That would be amazing! My scripts always get a little bit messy because I freak out about renaming things. Too many times I've just messed something up that takes me ages to figure out.

Flipbookee and JoeStrout like this.
  25. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

This is why I always make everything private unless I really, really, have to make it public. Private stuff is much safer to rename or otherwise swizzle around, without fear of breaking something.

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. petey

petey

Ahh cool thanks Joe, I'll do that.

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey @Flipbookee, this should be an easy one:

When I highlight a URL in a comment and right-click, there should be a "Go to URL" command that opens it in a web browser.

I often leave references to web pages in my comment, and it'd be nice not to have to Copy, switch to my browser, click in the location field, Paste, and hit Return!

(Bonus points if you can auto-detect the URL so I don't even have to highlight it!)

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout, that's easy and it was like that in Si1 and Si2, but for Si3 I had to rewrite the parser from scratch and I didn't reimplement that functionality in it. Good that you reminded me, I'll add it to the new parser as well :cool:

JoeStrout likes this.
  29. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

@Flipbookee, I have another feature request:

In the Find dialog, one more search scope: Selected Text. This would (obviously) limit the search to just the selected text in the current tab.

Use case: I just had a block of six lines with 12 instances of "GetKey" that I want to change to "GetKeyDown", without worrying about changing it anywhere else in the project.

Better use case: renaming a local variable in a method, without affecting any other code.

Flipbookee likes this.
  30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, I'll add that! :cool:

Well, Rename Refactoring should do that automatically, but yeah, since that isn't ready yet this will be a nice alternative... :p

JoeStrout likes this.
  31. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Hello, I use Shift+Del to delete whole lines. However, it does not work when the lines are empty, except the return character perhaps. Is this on purpose?

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Whoops! Not on purpose, nice find. I just fixed it :cool:

Victor_Kallai likes this.
  33. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

I found another one :)
    Say you have 2 commented lines like this:

//rigidbody.velocity = Vector3.zero;
    //rigidbody.angularVelocity = Vector3.zero;

If you select both, and press Ctrl + /, then they get un-commented, as expected.
    But if one has an indentation like this (either spaces or tabs);

//rigidbody.velocity = Vector3.zero;
    <Tab> //rigidbody.angularVelocity = Vector3.zero;

Then the behavior is different - they get re-commented.

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Victor_Kallai: That's intentionally working like that. ;) In this case the two lines are considered as two separate blocks of code one of which is commented out and the other one not, although technically it is but since it isn't at the same indentation level Si3 assumes it isn't, or more precisely - it is but it wasn't commented out at the same time as the other line, so the Toggle Comment Lines command does not remove the comments. It adds comments... When comments are added then all commented out lines are at the same level, so by firing the Toggle command again they'll get removed, and that's why it works in the first scenario.

This is (or it used to be, I haven't checked recently) exactly how toggling comments works in MonoDevelop. It would be easier if there were two separate commands with two different keyboard shortcuts, but I found toggling with only one shortcut to be much more convenient, so I chose that. ;) And that has never disappointed me so far... I wonder how did your code end up like that with those two lines indented differently?

35. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@Flipbookee Thanks for the reply :) . It's fine to leave it as it is - no need for a second shortcut indeed. The code wasn't mine, that's why it was indented poorly. The issues will disappear once the code beautifier is added ;) Cheers!

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. petey

petey

G'day,

Just thought I'd add this as I've noticed it pop up a bit.
    When I go to retype something I don't get autocomplete unless I delete the whole thing and start retyping.

It may just be a normal limitation but it happens to me quite often so I check with you.

Thanks,
    Pete

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. 2dgame

2dgame

I run into this issue constantly and yes, it's a bit annoying. You have to go back to the dot and retype it. Would be cool if autocomplete would stay active after deleting some characters.

JoeStrout and Flipbookee like this.
  38. petey

petey

Ahh it's not just me :)
    Even if it could start again after you add another character??

Flipbookee likes this.
  39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@petey and @2dgame, yes actually, that would be a cool improvement! It should be easy to do that, let me see... :)

petey and JoeStrout like this.
  40. radimoto

radimoto

Hi @Flipbookee - I just did an update of SI3 from the Asset Store which shows as version 3.0.17.
    However when I go to Windows > Script Inspector 3 > About it says the version is 3.0.9 November 2015 ??
    The readme file in Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3 also says the version 3.09

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's weird. :confused: Did you try again? Maybe there was some strange thing going on with Unity's caching of downloaded packages. Did you update from the Si3 page on Asset Store or from the list of all of your packages? I think we should report that to Asset Store devs, so let me know please.

42. radimoto

radimoto

Mystery solved. I bought this on my very first Asset Store account (which I no longer use). The Asset Store shows an update available, and it looks like it updates it when using the other account. The downloaded version however is just the same version :confused:

I've asked Unity about merging my accounts before (I bought about 10 assets before switching to this account) but they said they won't do it. So I'm stuck with switching between accounts to update these assets. I didn't have this one on the list so didn't think it was on the old account.

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@radimoto, that would be the last thing I'd think may cause the issue :p but great that you solved it now :cool:

Let me know how different is the latest version compared to 3.0.9 :)

44. ahmidou

ahmidou

Hi, I'm very interested in your asset, and I was wondering if it was possible to use it as for live compiling and executing
    script in the unity editor.
    For now I'm using a modified version of this http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/ImmediateWindow
    it's working well, but it's lacking all the features your IDE is providing.
    In the worst case is it possible to instantiate just the text editor and start writing code without loading an asset?

Thanks

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @ahmidou, thanks for your interest in Si3! :)

No, currently it isn't possible to use the code editor embedded in another window. But I know how useful the Immediate Window is and I'm often using it, but I don't like that it doesn't have autocompletion. I have started modifying Si3 code exactly for that reason and I'll release an immediate window with all the goodies Si3 can offer as part of the Si3 package. I'll have to finish those modifications though to be able to do that. ;)

I was very excited about this new feature, but there was too little support from other users for that enhancement, perhaps not many people knew how useful it may be, so I've down-prioritized that in favor of other more requested features. For now with Si3 you can only enjoy programming in Unity for scripts and one day the immediate window will become part of it as a free upgrade. :cool:

46. ahmidou

ahmidou

Hi @Flipbookee, thanks for your reply
    I'm quite exited too :) any approximate ETA about it?

Thanks.

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd like to discuss Si3's sometimes over-eager autocompletion.

It often happens to me that I'm refactoring code or whatever, and need to insert a value that I haven't declared yet. Often this is because I've just cut out the expression that I want to make into a local variable; now I want to type the name of that soon-to-be-created local variable where the expression was, and then I will go up a line or two and actually declare the variable, and paste my expression.

Anyway, in circumstances like this, Si3 fights me.

In the example above, I'm just trying to insert a new argument called "pos", but as soon as I type the comma, Si3 replaces my (correct) "pos" with (incorrect) "PositionFollower". I know it's trying to be helpful, but it's just gotten in my way. As a general rule, I think an editor should never replace correct code with incorrect code.

I'd prefer it if Si3 never picked the top autocomplete option just because I've typed some punctuation. It should do that only when I press Tab or (maybe) Return.

Finally, if we want to really think outside the box, maybe we could look at REALbasic's (now Xojo's) code editor. If it has a unique autocompletion match, it draws the rest of the string in a light gray text. You can ignore it and just keep typing, or press Tab to accept it — and you know exactly what you're going to get.

What if there isn't a unique autocomplete match? In this case, it draws as much of the initial string that all the matches have in common (which could be none), followed by "...". This "..." is your cue that there are options available. Again you can ignore them if you want, or you press Tab, and it pops up a list of the options. You can then select any one, or hit Esc to dismiss the list.

I've used this system for years and loved it (of course I may be biased, since I wrote it!). It follows all the principles of good UI: you always know exactly what it's going to do; it never replaces correct code with incorrect code; and it doesn't get in your way (the pop-up list appears only when you ask for it, so it's not constantly covering nearby code that you may need to see).

What do you think? Is there room for some improvements to how Si3 helps us type?

48. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

...sound of crickets chirping...

@Flipbookee, what do you think? Any chance for some refinements to the autocompletion?

I did just find the "Auto-complete aggressively" option in the preferences, and have turned that off. I think this may at least fix the major pain point I was having, where it would fill in something I didn't want just because I hadn't yet defined the thing I was trying to type.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the REALbasic-style autocompletion though... maybe it's too "out there" (i.e. different from how Microsoft does it) for most people, but then again, maybe everybody would love it as much as the RB community does once they try it.

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I checked the state of Si3's Immediate Window and there's no much work left there. The only big thing still missing is that it relies on code folding to be working first because it's using that for "hiding" the lines before and after the method containing the immediate window code. I hope to get code folding released with the first next update, so Immediate Window should come right after that. :)

Yes, yes! Improving prediction for autocomplete is something I often do and I care about very much.

Thanks for sharing the REALBasic style and your experience with it! Very cool - I'd love to see that in Si3 one day... I'll have to find a way how to implement that in Si3 first, then I can add it as an alternative to the current style. :)

50. ahmidou

ahmidou

Awesome, I'm looking forward for the next updates. In the mean time I'll by the asset.
    Thanks!!

Flipbookee likes this.