Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, sweet :D Copenhagen, but hey, just wait until I release the ultra-cool UnityEvents PropertyDrawer for Si3! This time it was only about the urgent fixes ;)

2. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@Flipbookee Hey man, if you have the time I would like to suggest this extra feature for SI3. Check this plugin out: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43320 . Wouldn't be nice to have something similar for SI3 or perhaps, just integrate this one with your plugin so when you double-click on a TODO tag from the list, it opens SI3 and highlights the right line and not the default script editor? Let me know what you think, I know you use TODO tags as well :) This is not an urgent matter, it's just something nice to have on the future.

Novack and Flipbookee like this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Victor_Kallai, adding a TODO window is on my TODO list :p

In meantime and if you really like the plugin you posted, you can easily fix it because it comes in source code form, so that it will work with and without Si3. Open its ToDoEditor.cs script and go to line 222. Find this code block:
    Code (csharp):
    1.                 EditorApplication.delayCall += () =>
    2.                 {
    3.                     UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.OpenFileAtLineExternal(entry.File, entry.Line);
    4.                 };
    and replace it with this:
    Code (csharp):
    1.                 EditorApplication.delayCall += () =>
    2.                 {
    3.                     var assetPath = entry.PathToShow.Substring(0, entry.PathToShow.LastIndexOf('('));
    4.                     var asset = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath(assetPath, typeof(Object));
    5.                     AssetDatabase.OpenAsset(asset, entry.Line);
    6.                 };
    Done... :) Enjoy! :cool:

Wadjey, Novack and Victor_Kallai like this.
  4. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@Flipbookee I have no words... SI3 is awesome and all, but the fact that you offer us so much help makes you the best Asset Store author. Thanks a lot :)

5. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Hi, I just wanted to ask, if feature "Navigate to..." or Ctrl+, of Visual Studio is implemented?
    It will allow you to type class name and will show list of all classes which start with the typed character. This makes super fast to navigate throughout entire project.

Also, I know this is long shot, but is Debugging possible in near future? :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Wrymnn, not yet but if your script names are similar to the class in it then you can use the Shift+Ctrl+O command for opening any script in the project. Just type some part of the name and the list will narrow to only those scripts that match that name. Then use arrows keys and Enter to select the script you want :cool:

Debugging is coming soon as well! I can't say how "soon" yet, but I can provide early access to whoever wants to help me test and polish that :)

Novack likes this.
  7. Novack

Novack

WOO-HOO!

8. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Fuh, debugging sounds impressive, I`m quite sure it wasnt easy to make :D

Apart from Shift+Ctrl+O, is there any way how to quickly navigate through the project classes? Because when there are 100+ classes, it gets really messy, and good navigation can save a lot of time.
    Shift+Ctrl+O works, but it feels like a workaround :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, it was surprisingly easy so far, but that might be because I haven't gotten to the difficult part yet :p

There will be a Go to Any Symbol command soon... Until then Open Any File is your friend, but it's also good to know some of the less known Si3 features:
    - You can open behavior scripts attached to scene objects and prefabs by dragging and dropping those from the Hierarchy or Project view to a SI tab :cool:
    - If Always Open in SI option is turned on, you can double click the Script field on a component to open the script;
    - Open behavior scripts from the component inspector's gear button - select Edit in Script Inspector. Useful when the Script field is hidden by a CustomEditor;
    - Use Go to Definition or Go to Type Definition on a symbol in Si3 code views;
    - And if all that is not suitable, do a Find in Files search for 'class SomeClassName' :p

But yeah, all those are just workarounds ;) hopefully not for too long...

10. Novack

Novack

Hey man a small (maybe) feature request for later on. This is a link with a tweet describing a very handy refactor in MonoDevelop: https://twitter.com/drspoik/status/760395329745383424

Basically, given a enum, if you write a switch statement using it, MD has the option to auto create all the cases. Slick!

How debugging is doing? :)

Flipbookee and Wrymnn like this.
  11. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Visual Studio has it automatic, without need click or refactor anything :D

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Novack and @Wrymnn, I'll check how that works in VS and I'll pick the best and most intuitive workflow. :) Thanks for the suggestions!

There hasn't been much progress with debugging these days as I was still fighting with that tabs disappearing bug. I have to find a solution for that first, as I see that being more urgent than anything else. But very soon it will be possible to attach the Si3 debugger to standalone builds and builds running on mobile devices, set breakpoints, and the step over, step into, step out of a function or continue the execution. And that's only the beginning, so don't get disappointed if that doesn't sound as too much ;)

Wrymnn and Novack like this.
  13. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

It sounds very, very good, those are the functions most people use anyway.

Also, I know there are tons and tons of other suggestions already, but I would like to add one more :D
    In Visual Studio, if press Alt + F12, it brings smaller window showing you contents of function or class reference you have clicked on. This is another function that speeds up workflow greatly, I use it 95% when working, since it doesnt distract you from code you have originaly worked on.

I know it wont be implemented anytime soon, but hey, its just a suggestion! :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Have you tried Si3 alternative? The first F12 goes to definition, the second goes back to where the cursor was before going to definition - almost same as Pick Definition ;) but a lot more convenient and easier for your fingers :p

15. koblavi

koblavi

Super excited for the debugger! A few things I'd like you to clarify:
    - Debugger won't work with IL2CPP Builds correct? If that's the case, how do you get around to debug on IOS as 32bit builds are no longer an option (I might be wrong here. just assumed they stopped supporting 32bit builds)
    - Do you still plan to implement in-editor debugging?

great work on this tool sofar. Only a matter of time before Unity makes you an offer.
    I'm definitely interested in the early access builds.

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@koblavi, Si3 debugger will not work with IL2CPP builds until UT adds support for debugging such builds as managed code. Here's the feature request:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/ios-ilcpp-debugging-support

Si3 will be able to debug managed code, regardless if it's a 32 or 64-bit build.

In-editor debugger is still the main goal, but in the beginning I'll only start with development builds because that's much easier. ;) That way and with a little bit of your help I'll be able to discover some hidden bugs and hear your feedback regarding its usability :cool:

Novack likes this.
  17. syscrusher

syscrusher

Many thanks for sharing this! I just installed it, and it works perfectly here on OSX 10.11.6, Script Inspector 3.0.14.

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. unitydevist

unitydevist

Can Unity buy Flipbook and put MonoDevelop out to pasture already? I submitted it as a proposal on Unity Feedback: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/make-scriptinspector-the-default-unity-code-editor

1. I need refactor renaming across files.
    2. I need search by folder rather than searching currently open tabs or full project.
    I don't want to search all the different asset codebases I have, just my project codebase folder, and if find and replace worked that way I could safely do my own refactoring until that is implemented. Debugging sounds amazing but these are simpler and maybe they've already been discussed or I'm missing how to do them?
    3. On Macs hitting control-s to save scripts instead of command-s is confusing, and thought I had saved code many times by mistake till I adapted to it.
    4. Could we place ScriptInspector as a DLL in the Unity editor's DLLs folder so it automatically loads across all projects without needing to be imported? That used to work, not sure if it still does. This is what Unity bundling ScriptInspector would be like.

A more obscure question perhaps: Can we get to a version of ScriptInspector that supports runtime editing inside the game view? I've implemented syntax-highlighted editing and rudimentary auto-indentation myself, but ScriptInspector's myriad other features make me wish I could just license it to replace my own editor. And if you're wondering why would you need to edit code while the game is running, think about the forthcoming VR editing mode from http://labs.unity.com

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@lxpk You made my day with that and I hope that feeling will last for at least a week from now. :D Thanks a lot!

While I don't personally think Unity would do that for real, I really appreciate the 41 votes received in one day! :) I look at that more as another way of expressing your support to Si3 and boosting my motivation.

This has been requested so many times in these forums and user reviews, but now it's official, so thanks for that :)

Rename refactoring will be released soon. There are still some things to be finished with that, conflicts detection and resolution in particular...

Yeah, filtering search by folder is an easy thing - will be added ;)

Scripts in Unity Editor can't handle Cmd-S and Cmd-Z on Mac without using @inventor2010's free plugin for Si3. Take it from here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/script-inspector-3.195218/page-20#post-2414302 and then you can Save with Cmd-S and Undo with Cmd-Z :cool:

I am investigating the option to have Si3 in a dll installed in Unity Editor folder to make it work globally across all projects. I'll let you know if that's still possible.

Making Si3 run in runtime is outside of my goals for now, but feel free to try that using its code if you want! I'll give you my support as much as I can :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Novack likes this.
  20. mcmorry

mcmorry

Until there will be (I hope) the option to have Si3 permanently installed in Unity Editor, could you include in the package the extension of inventor2010?
    Is a bit frustrating to have two things to install in every new project.

I create a new project for each plugin I use in my main project, so that I can test it, fix it, "git" it and export only the files that I need. And Si3 is a mandatory tool that I have to install every time. Without it is like to code in Unity with only one hand.

I really really hope you can focus on refactoring and debugging asap!

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  21. syscrusher

syscrusher

+1. My understanding from the post by inventor2010 is that she intended the code to be freely used and shared, but if you're in doubt, she's still active on the Unity forums, so could be reached with a PM to ask. (Maybe mention her in the credits for the new version?)

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, the new PropertyDrawer for UnityEvents is almost done and this is how it looks like:

UnityEventDrawer.png

So, I need your feedback on a quick usability test:
    - Can you notice the difference?
    - Would you guess what's that doing by just looking at it? (if you don't know already from my posts)

Thanks! :)

23. mcmorry

mcmorry

I see a small arrow and right side. Is it to manually execute the event?

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Damn, I was afraid you may think it's that... but it isn't... I need a better icon, I guess. :(

25. mcmorry

mcmorry

So what is for that button? Maybe I could suggest you an icon :)

EDIT: Is it to open the file and jump to the method?

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, exactly for that. :cool:

Any suggestion for the icon then?

27. mcmorry

mcmorry

Flipbookee and syscrusher like this.
  28. syscrusher

syscrusher

How about an ellipsis "...", which is commonly used in many menu trees to indicate going somewhere with more detail?

I also like the suggestion from @mcmorry.

Flipbookee and mcmorry like this.
  29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@mcmorry nice, but I think @syscrusher's suggestion is nicer... I still have time for more suggestion until tomorrow, so let me know if you come up with something else ;)

By the way, double clicking the empty area will do the same and also Enter key when a single entry is selected, but there's no way to indicate that, so that button is still important.

30. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Hey there! It seems like [Cmd] + [W] doesn't close the tab on my OS X 10.11.6 machine with Unity 5.4.0f3, while it does say it should in the documentation - is this a known bug? Anything I could do to make this functionality work? (I did install that plugin to make [Cmd] + [S ] work!)

EDIT: It seems like it's only docked tabs that it doesn't close; undocked tabs close with [Cmd] + [W] as expected.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  31. mcmorry

mcmorry

Yes is a known issue. Cmd+Shift+W should work even if I'd expect this shortcut to close all tabs. I wish @Flipbookee could solve this one day :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@_Adriaan and @mcmorry, I see there's an issue with part of that code... Thanks, I think I can fix that :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    syscrusher and mcmorry like this.
  33. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Great! Let us know when it's fixed :D

34. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Actually, I have two more 'feature requests', if you may call them like that:

1. Add the shortcut [Cmd] + ['] to open up the Unity script reference searching the current selection. (Or another combination). This is really great for simple lookups!

2. One (in my opinion major) difference between the auto complete of most IDE's and the one you made is that when you type something wrongly, say... Screen.heighr instead of Screen.height, and hit return, your IDE would add a new line to the file, as opposed to what most IDE's do then, which is to auto-correct the typo and not add a new line. I think this is the reason most IDE's add a very short delay to the disappearing of the autocomplete window, solely for this reason. And it feels great ;)

As a result of this, I frustratingly remove unwanted new lines all the time. And so I decided to ask you whether this was on your list!

Flipbookee and mcmorry like this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, that's already there and even better than you would expect.

It works for Unity symbols using online or locally installed documentation (configurable in Si3 Preferences), and if internet is not accessible it automatically falls back to local documentation - great for using Si3 on your laptop in flight mode :cool:

Unity symbol lookup opens directly the corresponding page in Unity Scripting Reference, and not the search page with that term. This saves you one additional click that you would normally do from MonoDevelop for example :)

Moreover, the same shortcut works with .Net symbols and C# keywords in a similar way using Microsoft's MSDN documentation for .Net :D

To be honest, I've never noticed that behavior in other IDE's. I will check, but I sincerely believe auto-correcting mistyped identifiers would be really wrong - I often try to access non-existing members as I type and then I add declarations for them, so auto-correcting would be really wrong in that case. Eating the Return key is something else and I will consider adding that... And I just tried this in VS and no, there's no such behavior. Where have you seen that? I'd like to try that and see how it feels :)

syscrusher and _Adriaan like this.
  36. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Aha! I figured why it didn't work: if you select text that's not a Unity symbol, it doesn't do anything. I expect (and would want) it to open the online script reference so that I could continue the search for the right variable there!

Hmm, you're right; it doesn't stick for longer in MonoDevelop either! I had always felt that because - like you said - it 'eats' the return. That's definitely behaviour I would like to see in your IDE!

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. syscrusher

syscrusher

At least, if you do add the autocorrect, please offer a preference to toggle it off. My work style is similar to yours; I like to be able to pretype an identifier down in my code and then go add it next time I'm at the top of the file for some other reason. As long as the "mistake" is highlighted, it's fine with me that I'm allowed to make it. :)

One QA request for the next version: I'm finding that I crash Unity quite often when I'm in SI3 and fumble-finger an autocompletion. That is, if SI3 starts to autocomplete, and I backspace and choose a different autocompletion option from the list, then change my mind and pick the first one again or a different one. I can't reliably reproduce the crash, but it happens a couple of times a day for me in a long day of Unity scripting. I'm not sure if it's actually SI3 at at fault, so I'm not formally calling this an SI3 bug, just asking you informally to do some testing along those lines as part of your next release QA cycle. :)

Thanks for continuing to improve my favorite asset!

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. sngdan

sngdan

same here...I noticed several crashes on Mac with 5.4 - it looks they are related to auto completion. also can not reproduce. on mac also the find & replace seems to sometimes work and sometimes not (possibly the text manual is wrong here - seems like S***+cmd+f not h?)

fantastic asset + support !

Flipbookee likes this.
  39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see... Note that if the symbol is unrecognized (underlined with a squiggly line) Si3 doesn't know if that's supposed to be a Unity symbol or a .Net symbol or a mistyped keyword or a mistyped local variable, parameter, member of your class or a type defined in your own. It could be anything. But true, we can agree on assuming that's most likely to be a Unity symbol, so yeah, a search in Unity Scripting Reference for that term would be nice to have in such case. I'll add that :cool:

Please send me the Editor.log if that happens again! Also, if you can dig it out, send me the crash log. On OS X that should be in this folder: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Thanks @sngdan! I'll check that...

:D:D:D

syscrusher likes this.
  40. sngdan

sngdan

..wrong post...

41. syscrusher

syscrusher

Roger wilco! :) What's the best way to get the file to you?

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

PM me or email me :) flipbookee at gmail ;)

I already got a couple of files from @sngdan (thanks man!) - very helpful. There was a crash coming from @inventor2010's plugin on auto-repeat and another one somehow related to expanding Si3 tab titles on mouseover... If you send me your logs I can at least compare them and see are they similar, or it may turn out to be something else.

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! Good news for everyone :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.15

got just released on Asset Store :cool:

Some of the included fixes this time are very critical, so please update ALL of your projects! :rolleyes: Oh, and of course, you'll get some cool new features as well :D

What's new:
    • Added easy navigation to handlers in your code from UnityEvent fields in the Inspector - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Auto-fixing corrupted window layout data :)
    • Customizable tabs size - thanks @dstanley
    • Help on unresolved symbols opens search on Unity Scripting References - thanks @_Adriaan
    • New option to disable changing font size with Ctrl/Cmd + MouseWheel - thanks @Mocho & @Sarinen
    • SI tabs now show the filename and path
    • Auto-closing SI tabs for missing scripts
    • Cmd-Shift-W and Cmd-F4 are closing the current SI tab on OS X - thanks @_Adriaan & @mcmorry
    • Fixed a crash of Unity with recently updated Mono runtime caused by infinite recursion while resolving certain constructed generic types - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Removed unnecessary calls to EditorWindow.mouseOverWindow since accessing that property may crash Unity 5.4 on OS X - thanks @sngdan
    • Attempt to avoid another crash in Unity 5.4 on OS X - thanks @sngdan
    • Fixed initial repainting of SI tabs after reloading assemblies
    • Fixed keyboard shortcut for Replace All command - thanks @Sarinen
    • Fixed finding references to virtual properties - thanks @Eduardnaut
    • Fixed listing operator method definitions in code navigation toolbar
    • Fixed operator methods shown as completions
    • Fixed resolving method overloads that take a parameter of type double - thanks @_Daniel_
    • Fixed resolving extension methods hidden by a member with the same name - thanks @JoeStrout
    • Fixed word wrap formatting on resize when docking SI tabs - thanks @AdamBuckner
    • Fixed word wrap in Inspector view on retina displays - thanks @sngdan
    • More retina display fixes
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with the release! :)

If you haven't posted a review yet, then you're one of those "other" 1200 Si3 users, but I really hope this free goodness will make you spread the word and join the 81 cool ones ;)

Please let me know how these cool updates work for you (or if they don't)... Enjoy!

radimoto, Victor_Kallai and mcmorry like this.
  44. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Flipbookee:
    Bad news, since long ... There is a bug, I thought that you already aware of it because it happens to me all the time so I did not report. This still occurring in the lastest release 3.0.15 so ...

When you search for references to a class the result is not correct, actually it works for references-in-that-file but for other files it search for "var" instead, I don't know why, there must be a bug somewhere. Here is a screenshot

In this search, I'm trying to search for references to JSONObject class but the result is wrong, it's searching for var in BRT_BuildInfo.cs (which is from an external plugin that is completely independent to this project).

Thanks :) Please tell if you want a remote session or something to reproduce it :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @thienhaflash! I haven't noticed that issue, but I'll check and I'll let you know if I need more info...

Note that finding "var" references is an optional feature which is supposed to show the implicit references to the type since that var keyword is only a handy feature of the compiler that let's use it like that instead of typing the full name of the type we are referring to. Si3 also lists unresolved symbols that may be eventually references to the symbol we are finding references to, so in that screenshot it looks like those var references are all unresolved symbols. I'll need to find out why is that happening and I may need your help with that, so I'll let you know :)

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @thienhaflash, I fixed it and updated the version in Asset Store. :cool: Can you please take that and test Find All References with it?

Script Inspector 3
    got just updated to version 3.0.15f
    ...with only a single change in it:
    - Fixed resolving methods overloads with parameters of a generic delegate type for which a method group is specified as an argument - thanks @thienhaflash

Enjoy! :cool:

47. Dune2

Dune2

Is this where we ask for feature requests / report bugs?

I just started using Si3, so some of these may already be features but I don't know how to access them.

Feature Requests:
    Right click file and have options to clean up unused usings, and or sort them.
    Vertical different-colored lines between curly braces, to show where braces match up.

Bug:
    In the following code, I cannot use F1 on the first FindObjectOfType<T>()
    If I right click it (when highlighted) it doesn't give me the option to open the unity docs on it. The other one in the Awake does.

Here's a screenshot showing the vertical lines for braces in Visual Studio, and attached is the actual file to see if you can duplicate the bug.

Attached Files:

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see @Dune2, that's a nice find, easily reproducible with that script, so thanks a lot for reporting it! I'll fix it...

Yes, having those vertical lines would be great - I'll add them! It should be easy :)

Dealing with using statements will come in one of the next versions starting from 3.1.0, for which I promised Rename refactoring and other refactoring will follow that :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions!

49. Dune2

Dune2

More feature requests

1) Code formatting on save

if(a==b)
    becomes
    if (a == b)

2) Brace formatting on save.
    Some people like
    if (a == b) {
    // stuff
    }
    And others like (me included)
    if (a == b)
    {
    // stuff
    }
    2b) Brace formatting when clicking return inside { }
    For instance
    if (a == b) { }
    Hitting return at the end brace, opens the if statement out to be
    if (a == b)
    {
    | with cursor here
    }

3) Find using for class,struct,enum etc.
    If I type
    MonoBehaviour

In VS I hit ctrl+. (and the namespace isn't already included in a using at the top of the file) it suggests things like,
    using UnityEngine
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour

so I can either have the using added at the top of the file, or use the namespace path to the class.

Flipbookee likes this.
  50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Dune2 yes, automatic code formatting has been requested and it will be added very soon. Automatic adding of using statements or namespace paths has also been requested, and that will also be added in the 3.1.x cycle.

Thanks for the suggestions! :cool: