Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scalable Characters - How Do You Approach It?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Dave_LeDev, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dave_LeDev

Dave_LeDev

Where games offer more advanced Create-A-Character modes, they give the opportunity to scale things like height, limb length, girth, etc. How is this approached, especially without breaking animations that are designed with a particular height (like reaching out to grab something at 4 feet high). Are multiple animations made to compensate for that, or are there some kind of IK motion targets used?

What I'm trying to do:

I'd like to generate NPCs based on several different fields to create variety, including: Texture, attached objects, and body scale.

In 3DS Max, scaling bones generally breaks the entire mesh, and I don't think morph targets are the way to go either. Then there's also the concern of breaking skin morphs. How is this generally solved?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Why would scaling bones break the mesh? I wonder if that's a 3DS Max problem... in Unity, I don't believe it's an issue.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

You can look at UMA which is free for a solution that does that.

Dave_LeDev likes this.
  4. Dave_LeDev

Dave_LeDev

It's apparently a thing with model editors in general. I've heard artists using Maya complain about the same. Breaks the solvers, I believe. When you have your model in a game engine, all the animations are baked and there's nothing being solved.

5. Dave_LeDev

Dave_LeDev

I was wondering if that tool would be a viable solution. Thanks!

neoshaman likes this.
  6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Right... but you'd be doing this bone scaling in Unity, not in the modeler, right?

7. Dave_LeDev

Dave_LeDev

That's what I wasn't fully certain about. For example, you create all your morph targets in your model editor.

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yeah, for morph targets that true, but bone scaling is pretty darn simple... I'd recommend just doing it in Unity.

Dave_LeDev likes this.