Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SALSA Lipsync Suite - lip-sync, emote, head, eye, and eyelid control system.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Crazy-Minnow-Studio, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hello wetcircuit! Based on your screenshot and follow-on question concerning the Playmaker actions download, it appears that the actions for SALSA and RandomEyes aren't installed/being used, which would explain the inability to play the files in an easy manner.

I just checked the download and the SALSA_PlayMaker.unitypackage file seems to be intact. It looks like perhaps you've possibly opened up the .unitypackage in your zip manager? The manifest does contain those directories when viewed in a zip manager application. I am looking at it on a Windows 7 computer, using 7-zip.

Inside the .zip file, I see:
    2015-02-23_193227.png

And if I view the .unitypackage in 7-zip, I see the following:
    2015-02-23_193105.png

If you can't successfully extract the unitypackage, perhaps your download is corrupted. Please download it again if you can and let us know your results.

Thanks!

2. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hi,

You are using the Playmaker default actions, not the SALSA with RandomEyes custom actions. Once you unzip the unitypackage [SALSA_PlayMaker.unitypackage], you can import this package into your Unity project after you've installed SALSA with RandomEyes and Playmaker, using the [Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package] menu. Once installed, you will find all of our custom actions in the Playmaker action browser under [SALSA with RandomEyes].

Instead of [Set Audio Clip], use [Salsa 3d Set Audio Clip].

For every API function described in our manuals, there is a corresponding custom Playmaker action. Additionally, there are a few others discussed on our download page that add additional capabilities, such as the custom shapes shape group action we described previously called [Random Eyes 3d Expression].

We hope this helps, let us know if you have additional questions,

The Crazy Minnow Team

3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Ahh. I tried an alternate un-zipper and the package stayed intact... Thank you!

but I appear to be a problem child now, as the package as given me a showstopper error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Crazy Minnow Studio/SALSA with RandomEyes/Third Party Support/PlayMaker/Actions/RandomEyes2dSetBlendSpeed.cs(38,52): error CS1061: Type `CrazyMinnow.SALSA.RandomEyes2D' does not contain a definition for `SetBlendSpeed' and no extension method `SetBlendSpeed' of type `CrazyMinnow.SALSA.RandomEyes2D' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    As my project is 3D I'm just going to omit the script and see if I can get past it.

**edit: err, nope. same issue seems to be with all(?) the scripts? 2D and 3D...

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Crazy Minnow Studio/SALSA with RandomEyes/Third Party Support/PlayMaker/Actions/RandomEyes3dSetBlendSpeed.cs(38,52): error CS1061: Type `CrazyMinnow.SALSA.RandomEyes3D' does not contain a definition for `SetBlendSpeed' and no extension method `SetBlendSpeed' of type `CrazyMinnow.SALSA.RandomEyes3D' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Are you using the latest version of SALSA with RandomEyes from the Asset Store, version 1.2.1?

5. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Ugh... It is so hard to keep up with everything!

It is all installed. Thank you! :rolleyes:

Crazy-Minnow-Studio likes this.
  6. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

We're glad to hear it resolved the issue.

7. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hey this is fantastic! Thank you so much for the Playmaker actions!

I made a quick "dialog tree" where a character says one of 5 different quotes at random (with a variable check so it won't repeat the last one used).

Each branch sets the audioclip and triggers a specific expression.... then plays the SALSA audio.

The ability to set the expression and eye focus WITH the audioclip - so good! Very easy to use!
    http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/game/hip-chick/

8. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Very cool, we're glad it's working well for you.

9. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Coming soon in the version 1.3.0 update, the workflow for FUSE models is hugely simplified. With one simple script, the blendshapes are linked together in the appropriate amounts and are controlled by SALSA for automatic lip-sync of these complex models. With this update, it is no longer necessary to use Blender or other 3D applications to modify blendshapes. Simple and easy. Of course, you can modify the automatic settings as desired in the Custom Inspector.

FUSE-workflow-customInspector.jpg

Stay tuned! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, G+, or watch this thread for news and information.

Project website: SALSA is Simple Automated Lip Sync Approximation

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    wetcircuit and TonyLi like this.
  10. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm really looking forward to this feature. It'll be a huge optimization to the workflow.

11. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Agree, this will be very helpful! Not too many developers are exploiting the blendshapes option.... RandomEyes is moving from "lively randomness" to a full-on blendshapes controller. It gives me ideas on how to give user feedback - not just frowny faces but morphing a shape to indicate its state.... like how "Bit" from Tron would change shape to communicate:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  12. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

We've published a new video tutorial covering RandomEyes basics with a focus on the LookTarget feature. Some of the upcoming features of version 1.3 are also shown. The tutorial is also recorded using Unity 5beta, demonstrating support for the new Unity version.

This tutorial is the first in a short series. Next we'll be diving into some simple code showing how to create a small dialog scene where character LookTargets are programmatically controlled by microphone input on a SALSA component.

We hope you enjoy the tutorial and find it helpful! We need your help too, please share, like, and rate us!

Simple Automated Lip Sync Approximation
    ~ We look forward to seeing what you create! ~​

13. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Texas, LOL! ...can't wait for 1.3...

Meanwhile (problem child) I am trying your live mic script for Salsa3D and not getting any joy... I'm on Mac and Unity4.6... I can see the input values confirming my mic in is working on my osX settings panel.... Salsa mouth doesn't move, but I also cannot hear the mic through Unity (i'm wearing headphones). Is there a way to confirm Unity is getting the mic feed?

In the mic script I see the frequency is being set at runtime to 48000, so it seems to be aware there is a mic...

14. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hey wetcircuit!
    Which version of the micInput script are you using? I'm currently running Unity version 4.5 on my Mac and version 1.0.5 of the micInput script. I'll upgrade to v4.6 of Unity and check it out to make sure. But seems to be working fine on this setup. (Also, please pardon my simplicity, I'm not a Mac user by trade ;) )

Here are a few things to check.
    • Sounds like you've already done this step, but ensure that you have the mic you want to use selected. And confirm the input level is responding to sound.
    Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 1.36.59 PM.png
    • Next, you'll probably need to adjust the trigger levels in the speech properties. Mic input (depending on the mic) seems to need a bit more sensitivity. On my Blue mic, I've set them to:
      • saySmall = 0.0004
      • sayMedium = 0.001
      • sayLarge = 0.0022
    • Finally, focus of the Game play window makes a lot of difference. There are a couple of things to do here. While it is playing, make sure you click on the game window to ensure it is focused. I've had this happen to me many times, accidentally clicking somewhere off the window and then it doesn't seem to work.
      • You can also open your player settings (menu Edit > Project Settings > Player) and then enable 'Run in Background'. This will prevent the script from losing focus.
    Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 1.52.18 PM.png

Hope this helps!!!

15. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Oh, one other thing, make sure you see "microphone" on your SALSA component in the AudioClip slot (when you hit play). SALSA will display "None" when the app is not in play mode.

16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Mic Input script is 1.0.5 and my Unity is 4.6.2 (and I double checked it was the 3D script, not the 2D, lol), but it is not crucial.... I can of course just record my voice and play it as an audioclip.

update** I also downloaded the miccontrol script you originally used and it seems to crash my Unity scene.... It works on a fresh empty project however, so I guess I will try to build a new Salsa scene from scratch and see if I can get the mic script working....

17. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hmmm, this I am not seeing but thank you, that will be a good indicator when things are connecting properly.

18. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Are you talking about the MicControl asset by Alzheimer Studio? We wouldn't really recommend using that one unless you want to dig in the code.

Using our script, if you're not seeing the "microphone" linked in the AudioClip slot (when playing) then something is certainly not right. However, if you are off focus, the link will be "none" as well -- unless you've enabled "Run in Background". Did you try enabling "Run in Background"? Oh, and assuming you're using our sample models, which model are you using?

19. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I was just using MicControl to test if something is wrong with my scene (appears something *is* wrong with my scene, but no idea what...)
    run in bg = on

I'll build a scene from scratch and fresh import of my Fuse model, as I don't really want to look like Ethan... or Boxhead, LOL ;)

20. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

SALSA with RandomEyes 1.3.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store.

This version brings a better lip-sync and eye-movement experience with Unity 5 support, workflow enhancements, UI enhancements, new API features, better support for 3rd-party integration, a re-designed LookTarget processor, and many bug-fixes. This is arguably the biggest update released to date. We highly recommend updating to this version once it is available on the Asset Store. This version will be required for the new, hugely-simplified and greatly-improved, Autodesk Character Generator and Fuse Character Creator model workflows (coming soon after 1.3.0 is live).

We would like to thank our beta testers for their invaluable help in bringing this update to life. Automated lip-synchronization and eye-movement just got even easier and more powerful than it was before!

wetcircuit likes this.
  21. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Version 1.3 of our automatic lip-synchronization and eye-movement asset, SALSA with RandomEyes, is now available on the Unity Asset Store. This version brings a lot of updates and reworks of the code base. First and foremost, Unity 5 is fully supported in this release! Automatic LookTarget eye-tracking has been re-written to be much more accurate and works in 2D and 3D scenes. The Custom Inspectors have also received quite a bit of lovin' this round, with automatically resizing components and modern, updated blendshape array handlers. Under the hood, both the lip-sync and eye-movement components have expanded API features that allow for easier integration with 3rd-party assets (we are currently working with a couple of publishers for new integration opportunities).

This update brings a lot of exciting changes and as mentioned in the previous post, we really want to thank our beta testers for their invaluable help with bringing this version to the masses! If you're a user of SALSA with RandomEyes and love its approach to simple, automated lip-sync and eye-movement, please rate/review, share, or follow and help us spread the word.

Simple Automated Lip Sync Approximation
    ~ We look forward to seeing what you create! ~​

22. anirudha_vfx

anirudha_vfx

Hi. Purchased the asset 2 days back and its awesome.
    I'm looking to change the blenshape for sayRest state. In your screenshots from previous version it had an int input for blendshape number for all the 4 lip blendshape. In the newer version I can't see where to change the blendshape for sayRest. Only other 3 blendshape change option is there. Please help.

23. Yippie

Yippie

this is really cool, do you have any plan adding text to speech feature?

24. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Great question. SayRest is supposed to be a closed mouth state. When we were first spinning up SALSA, it was a prototype as a system for another project. SayRest was erroneously left in the first release when, in fact, it was not necessary to blend to a shape for being closed (absence of audio data). The closed state is represented as the lack of any open shape (the 3 open states set to zero). This increases performance and decreases code maintenance support. It really is the rest or starting shape of your model with no audio analysis applied.

Hope this helps explain the evolution of the sayRest shape and hope this helps you out. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

25. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hello Yippie,

Thanks for your interest. The current state of TTS is that it has heavy platform dependance. There are TTS assets on the Asset Store, but they all rely on native calls to the underlying OS, and only work on platforms the developers have targeted. We would love to include a TTS option, but only if we could sufficiently abstract the underlying complexities to maintain the ease-of-use that SALSA with RandomEyes currently offers. That being said, SALSA processes audio data through Unity's AudioSource component, so any TTS solution that outputs a file that is compatible with Unity's AudioSource, can also be processed by SALSA.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I hope this answers your question.

Yippie likes this.
  26. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    wetcircuit likes this.
  27. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

We've added a short video tutorial to our YouTube channel that covers our all new Autodesk Character Generator workflow for SALSA with RandomEyes v1.3+. Check it out below, or head over to our blog post to grab the new files, get the short instructions, and watch the video.

28. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you for the Fuse support! This is Awesome!

One question though, In RandomEyes I have Left and Right Squint in the custom shapes.... How do I link the eyelash blendshapes (or facial hair) so they follow RandomEye's expressions? I am using the CM Fuse Sync script.

29. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Eyelashes and facial hair (if the character has facial hair) are linked automatically in the CM_FuseSync inspector. To sync custom shapes, check the box next to [Sync Custom Shapes].

30. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Syncing the shapes works for SALSA, but not for RandomEyes (in my scene). Is it possible I have missed a setting in RandomEyes?

31. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Are all the fields above the horizontal line populated in CM_FuseSync?

Salsa3D = Salsa instance
    RandomEyes3D = The RandomEyes instance that is set to control your characters eyes (not the one with the custom shapes linked)
    Body = The Body child object (contains SkinnedMeshRenderer with BlendShapes)
    Eyelashes = The Eyelashes child object (contains SkinnedMeshRenderer with BlendShapes)
    Left Eye Bone = Linked to the left eye bone
    Right Eye Bone = Linked to the right eye bone
    Sync Custom Shapes = checked

32. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 11.41.18 AM.png

yes, all present. (I tested to make sure it was the correct instance of RandomEyes. The wrong instance stops blinking...)

SALSA and the eyecontrol RE are set to to NONE mesh render objects.

2nd RE is set to the Fuse figure's BODY mesh, as shown in the video tutorial. (setting to none kills the expressions)

Blinking works and lashes blink with the eyes - however I get no eye movement at all (and no eye tracking when a tracking object is set). Eye Properties are all at default.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 12.10.59 PM.png

The Eye Position gizmo is between the eyes and parented to the head (although that doesn't seem to make any difference whether parented or "free" in the scene, the eyes are still "dead")

With the random expressions, the expressions on the body work as expected but lashes do not move (eyes squint without lashes).

So... actually 2 issues:
    Lashes do not follow expressions
    Eyes are not looking around

Here are the two RE panels, if it helps:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 12.18.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 12.18.37 PM.png

In reality I am looking to control the eye targeting through IK (the head and neck will also follow), so the addon props (lashes beards) following the expressions is more of an issue for me, but trying to rebuild as with your tutorial I discover the eye movement issue too....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  33. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Okay, so BlendShapes (blinking, squinting, eyelashes, etc) are working, but no eye movement right? I think this is the bug we found in the Fuse workflow. We are using the [Update] function, but this script needs to use [LateUpdate] so the animation is applied after mecanim. I'm assuming your using the Animator, and have an Animator Controller mapped with some mocap data? This solves the problem in our tests and we're preparing an updated package to post to our site. Please change [Update] to [LateUpdate] in [CM_FuseSync.cs] and confirm the result.

34. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Correct. I am using Animator with an idle pose animation.

Changing Update to LateUpdate has fixed the eye movement and tracking. Eyes now "looking" as expected.

However the lashes do not follow the expressions, squint, etc (no change there).

35. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

You're right, it's a bug, thanks for finding it! We're working on a fix.

wetcircuit likes this.
  36. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

The only shape that I can see isn't in sync is the left and right squint, is this the only issue you found also?

Thanks

37. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

wetcircuit,
    Looks like it's affecting a few shapes, BrowsDown_Left/Right and EyesWide_Left/Right. I have a fix, I'm testing it now.

38. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

The new Mixamo Fuse and Autodesk workflows have received patch updates to address a Mecanim compatibility bug, and a sync issue in the Fuse workflow. Get the updates from our website. Thanks to Lennart and Wetcircuit for helping us identify and address the bugs.

Using Mixamo Fuse Character Creator with SALSA with RandomEyes
    http://crazyminnowstudio.com/posts/using-mixamo-fuse-character-creator-with-salsa-with-randomeyes/

Using Autodesk Character Generator with SALSA With RandomEyes
    http://crazyminnowstudio.com/posts/...er-generator-with-salsa-with-randomeyes-v1.2/

39. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

:eek: That was like 1-hour! :cool:

Downloading...

YES! :) All looks good! Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  40. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Sorry, I'm having another issue with the Fuse Sync script. It seems no matter how I set it (adding/deleting blendshapes or setting to 0) when I run the scene the settings jump back to the default settings - added shapes are removed, deleted shapes return, and settings revert to their original numbers....

I didn't notice until I added a second figure, then I thought I was getting some crosstalk between the 2 figures, but reverting back to an older scene with only one figure I see the behavior is the same. All settings jump back to their defaults while playing.... Can you confirm?

41. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Yup, confirmed. Looks like they're being reset in the Start() method. Sorry 'bout that. We'll get it fixed and post up new scripts as soon as possible. If you need it right now, you can try commenting out the three "SetDefault...()" method calls in Start() [CM_FuseSync.cs]. That should be all it needs, but haven't had a chance to dig too deeply into it.
    2015-03-26_153613.png

wetcircuit likes this.
  42. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Wetcircuit,

After some additional digging, commenting the default shape calls in Start does address the main issue, but I found another bug in the initialization handling. Basically the initialization bug will show up if you reset the component, then add/remove shapes, then play the seen, the default shapes will reappear. If you reset the component, play the scene, stop the scene, then add/remove shapes and play again, it works as expected. I've implemented a fix that I'm testing now.

Thanks

43. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

wetcircuit likes this.
  44. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Hello Steve! We've been working with ICEBOX Studios (Adventure Creator) to get official SALSA support integrated and we're happy to announce, this is complete. In SALSA v1.3.0, we laid the foundation for easier support integration. This was exactly what was necessary for Adventure Creator to wrap its framework around the SALSA asset. Official support is now available as of SALSA v1.3.0 and Adventure Creator v1.43.

Read the Adventure Creator v1.43 blog post.

Thanks for the suggestion!

45. steveR

steveR

"Hello Steve! We've been working with ICEBOX Studios (Adventure Creator) to get official SALSA support integrated and we're happy to announce, this is complete."

Hey .. that is terrific! Thanks

46. 2ippy

2ippy

Is there a locked version of this for testing? I do streaming on twitch and wish to have a live lip syncing capture from unity.

I would like to know CPU loading on my PC.

I posted on your forums, but no reply.

47. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

@2ippy

Sorry for the delay on our forum, our board failed to notify us of new activity, but we have resolved the problem. Please see the reply on our forum. We also sent a PM from our forum with a follow-up.

48. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

We have been tossing around the idea of doing a Twitch live stream filled with a bunch of code-based implementation examples using SALSA and RandomEyes. Is there any interest in something like this?

49. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

50. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

pixelcrushers_web_logo.png
    Pixel Crushers released a video tutorial demonstrating SALSA with RandomEyes integration in Dialogue System for Unity. These two assets make a great combination for adding rich story elements, lip sync, and character to any game.

TonyLi likes this.