Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Hi,

I have my Gaia terrain created in a separate project from my main one, and I want to export it as a package so I can import into my main project. I do not have any trees or textures on my terrain - all I want is the terrain itself. However, when I import into my main project, I get warnings about missing trees and maps etc. How do I export the raw terrain data - it's all I want (I plan on texturing by hand in my main project). I tried deselecting "include dependencies?" but it's the same result, and I get the messages every time the scene is opened.

Cheers

2. Teila

Teila

Select the terrain, go into the inspector, and look for the tree/grass/details icons. Click on those. You will see some objects show, trees or whatever. Remove those. Once they are all gone, you will be fine. Do the same for the textures by clicking on the paintbrush and removing all textures.

Now, if you want heightmap data, you need to do that differently. Look further down the inspector and use the export height map to send the raw data to a file. You can then import that raw data back into your scene the same way.

GuinUK, Mark_01, Deckard_89 and 2 others like this.
  3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for the feedback. This looks like a bug - I will dig into it.

Xrystal likes this.
  4. inoj

inoj

Im jealous!! What a great pick, you for sure will have fun with those packs! I have mountains/volcano and island packs and these are very nice, as you might have noticed already. :) Would be very nice if you want to share some screenshots of your work you are doing with the packs, I always love see other people work, and Shawns stamp packs what i already don't have are always on my mind that some day I'll pick these all! Once again, jealous so much!

evilangel89 likes this.
  5. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Did you import the new Unity Post Processing Stack? It is not (yet?) part of the standard assets and needs to be imported separately.

Xrystal likes this.
  6. stigmamax

stigmamax

A little problem with the terrain. I followed the tutorial precisely. Unity 5.2.5f1
    I will try to plug that hole with earth.

7. Olander

Olander

@stigmamax Make certain there is a Plinth added to the house prefab. They are fairly tall and make things like what you are seeing very easy to deal with.

TeagansDad likes this.
  8. Xrystal

Xrystal

Oh sheesh, that could be it ... totally didn't occur to me that it would of course need the new stuff rofl. Thanks.

Edit: Yes that was the problem. Thanks again.

9. Xrystal

Xrystal

Problem resolved, I forgot to add the new Post Processing Stack by Unity.

10. stigmamax

stigmamax

What is a plinth ???

11. rasto61

rasto61

plinth
    plɪnθ/
    noun
    1. a heavy base supporting a statue or vase.
      "busts of the King and Queen on marble plinths"
      • ARCHITECTURE
        the lower square slab at the base of a column.
      • ARCHITECTURE
        the base course of a building, or projecting base of a wall. <----

In other words the stone thing under the house.

GuinUK, TheSeawolf and TeagansDad like this.
  12. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Thank you so much. :)

Teila likes this.
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It should have actually warned you and then popped open the download window.. i tested in an existing project, and will test again in a new project to validate this.

14. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

With only 12 hours left of madness sale hoping enough time to solicit some opinions from others on which assets to buy as can't afford everything currently in my cart. All the potential purchases have Gaia integration or would benefit Gaia/Terrains. Hoping this could potentially be useful to others although probably left it too late in sale. If this is off-topic for thread I apologise.

Whilst hardly used Gaia/GeNa since bought them for various reasons it has got me to buy several other assets already! Already own

AQUAS Water/River Set
    TENKOKU Dynamic Sky
    SUIMONO Water System
    Distingo
    uNature - GPU Grass and Interactable Trees
    uConstruct - Runtime Building System
    Country Side
    Volumetric Fog & Mist
    Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion
    Compass Navigator Pro
    HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1
    HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2
    Village Exteriors Kit (actually already had that prior to Gaia)

The main reason for buying them was the GX integration and how well they could work together with Gaia.

My sale cart currently has these Gaia related assets in it plus a few others. It really is madness!

Beautify
    Crux - Procedural AI Spawner
    Dynamic Nature - Starter
    EasyRoads3D Pro
    Landscape Ground Pack
    Landscape Ground Pack 2
    PBR Graveyard and Nature Set
    Winter Ground Pack
    World Streamer

Not in sale cart but could be added if strong case could be made for them.

Multiple Terrain Brush
    Real Rocks vol.I
    DirectX 11 Grass Shader
    MegaSplat

One line description of potential game: Open world fantasy RPG set on a group of Islands.

I'm have no artistic eye and prefer drop in assets that just work. Its why I love the GX integration.

Thanks,
    Tortyfoo

15. Xrystal

Xrystal

After purchasing the 8 volumes of Backwood Gaming stamps .... and creating a new terrain on my Gaia WIP Project with the new Camera and Light file and Post Processing Effects from Unity I now get the following error when trying to set up the camera effects.

And yes, when I first saw the message I followed the instructions, but it repeatedly happens.

Attached Files:

16. jangomoose

jangomoose

@Tortyfoo
    World Streamer I would have thought if you are building an open world game, I bought it in the sale but haven't tried it yet.
    Would seriously consider adding Erosion Brush to that list of non sale items. It really adds a bit to Gaia Terrains, I wouldn't be without it.
    Oh and DX11 grass is good, works in VR if that helps.
    Edit, EasyRoads has it uses even if you don't need the roads, you can use it to deform the terrain if you need a Ski Piste or path up a hill etc.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  17. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Thanks for your feedback. Agree World Streamer seem a must buy especially with Gaia 2.0 soon (tm). I was for now restricting my budget to items on sale which Erosion Brush isn't. The items in the final list are also all on sale. Also whilst it probably makes landscapes look much better as I said not that artistic. Do realise will probably need a better terrain brush of some sort but was looking at Multiple Terrain Brush for that?

Also must admit don't really know much about DirectX 11 Grass Shader and also does that restrict targets to just Windows? or does it allow Macs with a DirectX compliant card? Also if NatureManufacture and Adam are coloborating on a shader specific to Gaia might just wait for that.

Sorry if it seems not taking all your advice when asked for but I really do appreciate your opinions.

18. stigmamax

stigmamax

English is not my mother tongue. I have a little trouble. But there are houses that have no base.
    But it is solved, I added land under the house.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  19. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

oh well... had 30+ items in my cart along with Gaia and the sale ends while I am checking out.... GG. Might be a hint to switch to UE4... lol

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Did you follow the instructions in the image - i.e. import the standard Effects package ? OOPS, sorry just reread your comment.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

My bad - I developed this in a project that led me down the wrong path.

Please go here - re-download and re-import:

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/camera-and-light-preview/

I am quite happy with how it turned out :)

Xrystal likes this.
  22. Xrystal

Xrystal

Hmm, maybe I am missing a step out somewhere.

It's my normal Gaia setup ( New Project, Import Gaia, Import Gaia related assets, Import Standard Assets ( Character, Environment, Effects - usually when the errors are reported that they are not installed rofl ), this has always worked fine in the past.

Post Processing Stack downloaded and installed once it was pointed out here that I needed it. This stopped the initial error I was receiving.

I've now re-downloaded and re-imported your new file ( had to delete the old one to import it ) and still it kicks in the error.
    Are there any other Unity Assets that need to be installed that aren't installed as standard.

I even checked to make sure I had installed the Post Processing Stack and it confirmed I had all the files installed already.

Or did I miss something and it won't work in Gaia 1.5 and Unity 5.6 ? - Just checking in case I missed a post where you explained that important bit of information :p

23. Xrystal

Xrystal

A scene I am impressed with that was created with the Backwoods Stamp Packs.
    Grab 20170502022202 w1900h1200 x-593y121z-515r49.jpg Grab 20170502022118 w1900h1200 x-666y77z-790r107.jpg Grab 20170502013556 w1900h1200 x204y114z-372r280.jpg
    This is the overall terrain created with this session.
    Session20170502011540.png
    And I include a zip file containing the Defaults, Settings and Session File itself, along with a copy of the image above in case the session file needs it as I use it as the preview image.

Outside of Gaia and Backwoods Stamp Packs ( I got all 8 but don't think I used all of them ) the rest should be standard unity set up.

It's been awhile since I uploaded a session file so let me know if something is missing :)

Attached Files:

24. Valhuk

Valhuk

The session manager script is not showing once I hit Show Session Manager. The object appears in the scene. I'm not great at programming, just looking to create some landscapes. I'm on Mac. Any help?

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Need a little more detail - Gaia fairly big project - have you followed the quick start guide ?

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nice - try using the new lighting stuff I uploaded earlier today and do some more screen shots - explore the different times of day - i think you will be pleasantly surprised and how much it picks your scenes up.

27. evilangel89

evilangel89

Yeah it was amazing. I tried the highlands pack. All I need now are some seriously good grasses from turboscalpeur.

28. stigmamax

stigmamax

I am amazed at the size of the project (with Quickstart). The size is 700 mo! Is this normal?

29. Xrystal

Xrystal

I think thats the one I tried and replied saying it still didn't work for me :) And yeah I tried the different daytime lighting and I just prefer the afternoon one but its handy to see how time of day could make the scene look :) Camera Effects wise for fog etc are currently missing from the scene due to the problem I am getting.

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

To the moon and back again, raw data care of NASA :)

Grab 20170502204447 w1920h1029 x999y359z-374r288.jpg

Grab 20170502204719 w1920h1029 x1058y214z-461r293.jpg

Grab 20170502205105 w1920h1029 x922y150z-594r303.jpg

Grab 20170502205126 w1920h1029 x989y166z-781r308.jpg

inoj, kerrmedia, trilobyteme and 6 others like this.
  31. GuinUK

GuinUK

These are incredible mate. If you get chance to add one or two of them as bonus stamps I'd love to have a play with them.

I know your 'to do' list is already full enough already so no sweat if you can't. They just look really fun as an alternative idea of how to use Gaia .

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Working just fine for me - PM me if you want me to look at it via Skype screen share. The above images used the new Screen FX process. Took all of 20 seconds to make it look pretty nice.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - will make some moon stamps - they are very cool! Now i just need to find an Australian flag to plant there ;)

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes.

Gaia comes with a whole lot of high quality sample content because I want to give people great experiences and show what is possible, and this is where most of the size is.

Ditch it if you don't want it. It's under the 3rd Party content directory. Gaia itself is tiny.

TeagansDad likes this.
  35. Xrystal

Xrystal

It's cool, it might be just a dud project if I am not missing anything else step wise so I'll wait until the next time I create a new WIP Project for Gaia. I haven't got anything to use Gaia for yet so I am just playing with it until I have got to grips with how to make the stamps work together and have the result how I expect it :)

Thanks for taking the time to see if it wasn't something my end :)

36. Valhuk

Valhuk

Yes I have. The problem is that the Session Manager shows in the Hierarchy but not as a script like Gaia's Manager.

EDIT: Just noticed, the scanner window doesn't appear either. It's either a setting or Mac? I'll try Windows.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  37. Valhuk

Valhuk

Solved my own problem! Thanks for the help! :)

38. jagatai33

jagatai33

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before, Are there any tutorials in order to integrate GAIA with World Streamer? Im a visual learner so any videos would be ideal.

Thanks,
    -J

39. CplMulder

CplMulder

For me Gaia is now not importing into 5.6.0 - my project is at a standstill...

The API Updater keeps generating an error and GAIA does not appear anywhere in the menus...

I've tried re-importing/re-downloading/re-starting... no luck

Strange thing is if I try to manually delete Gaia from my project it automatically re-imports it after a few seconds! So now I cannot even continue without it for now or get any work done due to the compiler errors!!

Here is a copy of the log:

Code (Log):
    1. APIUpdater encountered some issues and was not able to finish.
    4.     System.ArgumentException: preprocessorSymbols
    5.       at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp.CSharpParseOptions..ctor (Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp.LanguageVersion languageVersion, Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.DocumentationMode documentationMode, Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.SourceCodeKind kind, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] preprocessorSymbols) [0x00051] in <8d5a2b6695c6475bb1cb5b9a9f9c8dd7>:0
    6.       at CSharpUpdater.CSharpUpdater.ParseSyntaxTrees (APIUpdater.Framework.Core.SourceFile[] inputs, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] defines) [0x0000e] in <8c197c80297a49cfb36313b1aba6e4f7>:0
    7.       at CSharpUpdater.CSharpUpdater.RunUpdater (APIUpdater.Framework.Core.SourceFile[] inputs, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] defines, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] references) [0x00013] in <8c197c80297a49cfb36313b1aba6e4f7>:0
    8.       at APIUpdater.Framework.Core.APIUpdaterBase.Update (APIUpdater.Framework.Core.SourceFile[] inputs, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] defines, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] references) [0x0002a] in <1acc70da50134acf8c1ee45d15211558>:0
    9.       at ScriptUpdater.Program.UpdateLanguage (APIUpdater.Framework.Core.IScriptUpdater updater, APIUpdater.Framework.Configuration.CompilerResponseFile responseFile, System.String unityDataPath, System.String outputPath) [0x000ae] in <40723fc79b19465ab3f8e6a83b755955>:0
    10.       at ScriptUpdater.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x000d5] in <40723fc79b19465ab3f8e6a83b755955>:0
    12. Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ExtensionSystem/Extensions/CameraAndLight.cs(54,28): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.PlayerSettings.renderingPath' is obsolete: `renderingPath is ignored, use UnityEditor.Rendering.TierSettings with UnityEditor.Rendering.SetTierSettings/GetTierSettings instead'
    14. Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ExtensionSystem/Extensions/CameraAndLight.cs(54,28): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.PlayerSettings.renderingPath' is obsolete: `renderingPath is ignored, use UnityEditor.Rendering.TierSettings with UnityEditor.Rendering.SetTierSettings/GetTierSettings instead'
    16. Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Utils/Utils.cs(230,31): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.TextureImporter.grayscaleToAlpha' is obsolete: `Use UnityEditor.TextureImporter.alphaSource instead.'
    18. Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Utils/Utils.cs(231,31): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.TextureImporter.normalmap' is obsolete: `normalmap Property deprecated. Check [[TextureImporterSettings.textureType]] instead. Getter will work as expected. Setter will set textureType to NormalMap if true, nothing otherwise.'
    20. Assets/Octave3D World Builder/Scripts/Extensions/GameObjectExtensions.cs(206,31): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden(UnityEngine.Renderer, bool)' is obsolete: `Use EditorUtility.SetSelectedRenderState'
    22. API updating failed. Check previous console messages.

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have had no issues importing Gaia with 5.6, have created many projects with it, and in fact am developing Gaia 2 on it as well, so there is something that is compounding your issue at play here.

First - you need to successfully delete Gaia. The unity re-import issue seems to be some sort of Unity bug and I have seen it with other assets.

First create a new empty scene and save it. Close unity and open again - the new and empty scene should reload. Then delete Gaia. It should successfully delete. Close Unity and open again - I think this will get you around the re-import issue.

Then check your console... do you have any errors in it - this may be the asset that is causing the issue. Don't try to re-import Gaia again until your project is error free.

Only after you have done that should you import Gaia again. When it asks to update API's say yes. Gaia should import and will give you some warnings. Ignore them and you should be fine.

Make sure you give Unity a moment to finish its compile as well. This needs to happen before Gaia will become available.

If this all fails then PM me and I will help you dig into it via a Skype screen share.

41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nope not that I am aware of - when Gaia 2 ships I will make one.

Mark_01 and inoj like this.
  42. evilangel89

evilangel89

Guys I have a real treat for all of you. This pack is the most amazing pack of trees I have ever seen in my life in Unity. It's astounding that it's only 15 bucks! I came across the asset because the author of Azure Skies has used it in his demo videos.

I really encourage you all to purchase this. I believe the updates on this are really slow because the author has other commitments too. But for this price, getting what's already there is so much better.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-tropical-forest-pack.366691/page-3

The following video is from the upcoming update

43. jagatai33

jagatai33

Thank you!
    -J

44. overburn404

overburn404

I want to buy Gaia, but I have a small question first. If I create , say an array of 16x16 large terrains with 1.5 , will it be possible to integrate them without much of a hassle with the tiled terrain object functionality coming up in 2.0?
    Thanks!

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes. Gaia will just pick up what you have and run with it.

46. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Moon, Mars, and Venus stamps would be really interesting to see. I imagine that NASA data couldn't be included in a commercial project without permission, but is available for free/personal use (they also have a ton of models in various formats). It might make for a fun blog post or tutorial, walk people through where to download the data from space agencies, import into Gaia and users create their own custom stamps.

Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  47. Jaimi

Jaimi

As far as I know, all those nasa images are in the public domain unless they specifically note that they're not. (we did after all pay for them already). They have some pretty cool stuff too - like this:

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Moon/LRO/LOLA/Lunar_LRO_LOLA_Global_LDEM_118m_Mar2014

Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  48. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not sure if making them freely available with a paid product would violate this. Suspect would be ok. This would actually be a fun thing to do :)

My son made a bunch of very nice stamps - perhaps with the incentive of some pocket money I could get him to do some of these as well.

Mark_01 and inoj like this.
  50. inoj

inoj

Couple days away and my lovely gaia community have moved to space? :D Very nice and creative things i can see 2 last pages, keep up the good work, I'll try to reach you with next shuttle im able to pick up! :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.