Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[71% Off Sale] Scene Shot Manager : Scene bookmarks for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlanOToole, Dec 2, 2016.

?

What do you think of Scene Shot Manager?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. It's looks great!

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. It's okay.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Not sure I understand what it does.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hey everyone!

I want to introduce you to a new asset we just released called Scene Shot Manager.

Scene Shot Manager (SSM), allows you to capture a snapshot of your current Scene View by saving all of the details about that particular shot and “bookmarking” it for future access. Once you capture and add the shot to Scene Shot Manager, you can label it, allowing you to quickly jump back to that exact shot and pick up where you left off at any time. As you add shots, you can organize, or group them accordingly.

SSM works for both 2D and 3D Scenes. This is especially useful for designing complex 2D UI's. Rather than having to scroll around to a particular panel, just bookmark the shot of it and click the icon in the shot list to jump back to it.

Below are some animated GIFs:

This GIF shows the main shot list and how you can switch between bookmarked shots.

This GIF demonstrates adding shots:

This GIF demonstrates assigning those shots to a group:

Scene Shot Manager overlays the Unity Scene View but there's also the option to use SSM as a separate, dockable Unity window.

Below is a screenshot of this dockable window with SSM disabled on the Unity Scene View:

Scene Shot Manager
    has been tested and works with both Gaia and ProBuilder. It is also fully compatible with Unity 5.

It is available for download right now on the Unity Asset Store!

Thank you!
    Alan

2. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hello world!

I wanted to ask everyone for a quick second of your time to help me out. I created a poll to help understand what everyone thinks of Scene Shot Manager. I would be very grateful if you would take a second and leave an answer for the poll.

If you do happen to chose "Other", please leave a comment letting me know what you think.

I appreciate your help and time.

Thanks!
    -Alan

3. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hello everyone!

To celebrate the release of Scene Shot Manager we are having an 80% off sale!

You can download it here.

This will be only for a short time.

-Alan

4. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

Just to let you know we are adding Scene Shot Manager to AssetStoreDeals.com.

When you have other sales, you can add them to this website yourself simply by pasting the link to your asset in the designated area.

Best of luck to you with this sale!

AlanOToole likes this.
  5. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Sounds great, thank you!

6. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

I made a quick poll on this post. If you can please take 5 seconds and leave an answer. I'd really be thankful :)

7. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

I hate x.99 prices. I hate psychological pricing.

I have bought it anyway and it looks good:
    - Works as expected, but ...
    - ... shows a warning after import (unused variable)
    - The default group is not called "Default" but has some cryptic random name instead
    - I hate x.99 prices (just in case I haven't mentioned it yet)

AlanOToole likes this.
  8. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

I never thought about the psychological aspect of the pricing, that's a really good point you bring up. I know exactly what you mean though.

I do want to thank you for buying it and definitely thank you a lot for what you found. I'll take a look at that default group issue. What version of Unity are you using by chance?

9. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

I have tried it with Unity 5.5.0f3 (64-bit). Rig runs Win10 Pro.

AlanOToole likes this.
  10. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Thanks! I'll test this out in 5.5 and see what's going on.

11. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

sweet, can't wait to try it out.

AlanOToole likes this.
  12. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

I hope you like it! :)

13. radimoto

radimoto

hey @GTsphere I've picked this up and have some feedback.

I imported this into a large existing project. It appears the "default" group is represented by a number? I created the second group "Rocks"

Overall it's pretty straight forward to use and will be very handy to quickly navigate around the scene. I notice however that it only displays Scene Shots for the current scene and not across the entire project.

My feature requests would be:

1) Support for displaying Scene Shots across the entire project. Would be really handing to use this as a quick way to jump between scenes and straight to a specific view in the scene.

2) Render a screen shot of the scene, so in addition to a description you can see a small image of where it's going to send you.

Ideas for Improvement:

1) Better icons! They are very bright and it's a little difficult to make out the white image/text on the bright background. Lucky it has tooltips otherwise it would be just taking a guess on the yellow one :)

EDIT - also to point out I can only use the dockable SceneShotManager, the Show or Hide just gives me this error:

PlayerSettings Validation: Requested build target group (15) doesn't exist; #define symbols for scripting won't be added.
    UnityEditor.PlayerSettings:SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(BuildTargetGroup, String)
    Chronos.Addon:AddDefine() (at Assets/Chronos/Source/Utilities/Editor/AddonDetector.cs:117)
    Chronos.Addon:Check(Boolean) (at Assets/Chronos/Source/Utilities/Editor/AddonDetector.cs:65)
    Chronos.AddonDetector:CheckForAddons(Boolean) (at Assets/Chronos/Source/Utilities/Editor/AddonDetector.cs:31)
    Chronos.AddonDetector:OnPostprocessAllAssets(String[], String[], String[], String[]) (at Assets/Chronos/Source/Utilities/Editor/AddonDetector.cs:46)
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    SceneShotManager.SceneShotManager:showHideShotsManager() (at Assets/SceneShotManager/Scripts/SceneShotManager.cs:117)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    AlanOToole likes this.
  14. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hey @radimoto thank you for the great feedback!

That issue with the default group, another user was seeing something very similar. By any chance are you using Unity 5.5? I am downloading it right now to test it out with SSM.

I love your idea about showing all shots for all scenes. I just added that to the roadmap and will try to get that feature added to the next release.

The idea about renderering the shot is also extremely good. I'm going to look into that some more to see what it would take!

I see what you mean about better icons with your screenshot, I do agree! I'll get that fixed up :)

As for your error with show/hide, that is really strange, I'm so sorry that it isn't working. If you can, definitely let me know what version of Unity you're on. I'll do more testing to see if I can narrow that down.

Thanks again!
    -Alan

15. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Alan, I'm on Unity 5.5.0p1 (Mac).

Looking forward to seeing the next updates. Cheers!

AlanOToole likes this.
  16. radimoto

radimoto

Hey Alan. Another quick idea - might be good to prompt before "recapture shot".
    As it's right next to "show shot" it's very easy to accidentally hit it...

AlanOToole likes this.
  17. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hey @radimoto, that is a very good idea :) I'll add that to the feature / change list I have going so far.

Also thank you for sending over your Unity version. I think I have isolated that issue so far.

I'll keep you posted!

18. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hello everyone!

I just updated Scene Shot Manager to version 1.1:
    • New icons! Easier on the eyes. @radimoto :)
    • Prompt when deleting shots
    • Prompt when delete groups
    • Prompt when recapturing shots
    • Fixed unused variable warning
    You can download the update here on the Asset Store.

Have a great day.
    -Alan

Starpaq2 and ethanwgross like this.
  19. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

very nice
    this is a nice safety feature however it would be nice to have the option to disable the prompts as in a rapid workflow they tend to be a bit intrusive. good work on the asset and looking forward to more improvements.

AlanOToole likes this.
  20. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

That is such a good point :) I'm adding in that option now. Thanks @ethanwgross!

ethanwgross likes this.
  21. lundon

lundon

The screen shot file seems to be related to the name of the scene. If I rename a scene the shots go away. Likewise, if I do a "save as" the shots are not in the "saved as scene".

AlanOToole likes this.
  22. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hello there @lundon. I think you may have just found a bug case that I did not consider. I am so sorry! I will be fixing that ASAP. I'll keep you posted :)

Thank you!

ethanwgross and lundon like this.
  23. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hello world!

I wanted to share that Scene Shot Manager is currently on sale through the Unity Madness Sale. If you haven't already grabbed a copy, you can now here at 30% off!

Thanks everyone,
    -Alan