Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

S-Spell: Dyanmic Spell Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Dec 19, 2015.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

S-Spell is a dynamic spell engine. Create and customize different types of spells from the inspector. Includes a spell book, spell bar slots, experience and mana managers.

• Unity 5 support.
    • Unity 4.6 UI support.
    • Create unlimited spells and customize them from the inspector:
      * Particle Effects: Choose as much particle effects as you want for each spell and pick the order of initiating them when casting the spell. You can make a spell do damage to enemies when colliding with a particle effect from that spell. Or you can make a spell do any effect you want by using the spell events. Make the particle effects move in any direction you want, from any launch position. Enable the enemy select mode and target enemy to send spells to or make the spell follow any other object you want.
      * Animation: Play successive animation clips when casting a spell, pick a duration for each clip and synchronize them with creating particle effects.
      * Audio Effects: Play successive audio clips when casting a spell and synchronize them with the animation and particle effects.
    • Mana Points: Casting spells can cost an amount of mana points.
    • Spellbook: Display spells in the spellbook by displaying the name, icon and description for each spell.
    • Spell bar: Drag and drop unlocked spells from the spellbook to any slot of the spellbar. Pick a hotkey for each slot or click on the spell bar slot to cast the spell linked to it.
    • Experience Manager: Unlock spells only when the player reaches a certain level or a certain amount of experience points.
    • Custom events to customize the asset even more.
    Demo:
    WebPlayer Demo

Documentation:
    Online Documentation

ChangeLog:

07/01/2016 - v1.00:

First release

24/01/2016: - v1.01:

- Fixed dragging items from the spell book to the spell bar slots.
    - Fixed the spell bar slots in the demo scene.
    - Fixed the "Damage Once" option that makes a spell do damage only the first time it collides with the target.
    - Changed the "XPUI" script name to "ExperienceUI" to avoid having two scripts with the same name when importing both S-Spell and S-Quest.
    - Added the option to click on spell bar slots to cast spells along with using hotkeys.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. OussamaB

OussamaB

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. OussamaB

OussamaB

I've just submitted an update for S-Spell, it should be available soon. Here's the update list:

- Fixed dragging items from the spell book to the spell bar slots.
    - Fixed the spell bar slots in the demo scene.
    - Fixed the "Damage Once" option that makes a spell do damage only the first time it collides with the target.
    - Changed the "XPUI" script name to "ExperienceUI" to avoid having two scripts with the same name when importing both S-Spell and S-Quest.
    - Added the option to click on spell bar slots to cast spells along with using hotkeys.

4. OussamaB

OussamaB

And the update is finally available on the asset store. Another one will follow soon.

5. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I am looking at implementing a simple spell system into a game and I have a few questions.

1.) I see this can create damaging/healing spells pretty easily. Does it create other types of spells from the editor though? Or can I import my own scripts? I need summon, life draining, buffs, etc.

2.) When you enable targeting, how does targeting work? I notice a lot of so-called RPG kits for Unity have antiquated or more isometric-friendly controls. Am I going to have click on an enemy with my mouse cursor to target them? Is there a function built-in that targets the enemy nearest to the center of the screen or a tab target or target nearest? I mean I can write something, I just want to know what is included.

3.) Also, iare there any plans for incorporating impact FX? I mean say I want my fireball to leave scorch where it hits?

4.) Finally, you said you can learn spells on level up or by XP. Can you explain the difference between those two options?

Thanks in advance.

6. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I have another question. Any chance there will be an economy exchange option for spell acquisition? Like buying it with gold or a spell point system?

7. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, I just got your PM. I'm sorry for the late answer but I have never got the notification e-mail to let me know about your reply in this thread.

1) The asset currently supports damaging and healing. Adding other spell types will require some scripting, but it's not that complicated. I can assist you with that and maybe some of the spell types you suggest will be added in the asset in an update.

2) Currently, you have to click on enemy with the mouse cursor to target them.

3) Hopefully, after I finish working on my new asset, I will be having major updates for S-Inventory, S-Quest and S-Spell. Hopefully you can make a suggestion list for me?

4) It's kinda the same actually. You can unlock spells when you reach, for example, 5600 XP and the level doesn't really matter in that case. Same thing applies to the level, if a spell gets unlocked only by reaching a certain level then the XP does not matter in that case. Unlocking spells by XP is just more precise.

That would require building a whole economy system for S-Spell or simply be a feature that gets added when you get both S-Inventory and S-Spell together which what I most possibly will do.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  8. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Okay. Thank you for the great replies. I am still weighing my options and not getting into game mechanics yet. I will keep an eye on your assets though. I like that they are modular and not so integrated into everything that it becomes difficult to pick out the parts you want. So whatever happens, please don't change that.

As far as spell ideas go, a summoning one could be good. I'd suggest doing it via a script that could be attached to any object. I mean, it should be basic to set up. In fact, it might be useful to have a "spell" that simply calls a script function when it is used. Basically just a prefab for creating your own spells. I'm sure I could write that myself, so don't do anything special on my account. Like a lot of people here I am just trying to save time by investigating the possibility of incorporating existing systems available on the asset store.

9. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will make sure you are informed when there's an update for S-Spell.

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

This asset will no longer be developed and has been deprecated from the Asset Store.