Search Unity

Runtime Revolution nixed by Steve J for iPhone OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveyJJ, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Another IDE has fallen. Perhaps best called the "spiritual successor to HyperCard" RunRev's mobile development IDE for iPhone/touch/iPad has been given an official "not going to be allowed" by Steve J.

Here is a quote from Kevin Miller, CEO of Runrev:

"In order to support our active and growing revMobile customer base, we submitted an in-depth proposal to Apple that we create an iPhone-only product that uses native Cocoa objects, supports 100% of their API, works perfectly with multitasking and battery life, but uses a variant of the revTalk language to use these objects and APIs, and then translates those into native code. While a significant engineering departure for us from the current revMobile path, this solution would have resulted in perfect-quality iPhone-only applications impossible to distinguish from native applications."

Apple clearly and distinctly turned down the proposal with a very clear message from Steve Jobs himself.

Full article here ...

http://www.lynnfredricks.com/2010/05/10/no-hypercard-for-the-ipad-watch-for-hypercard-on-android/

As someone who was an Apple certified HyperCard developer back in the 80s, and with Apple's rejection of the brilliant MIT Scratch tool that lets kids learn the basics of programming (and curious adults), you have to ask what the hell is going on? Why stifle curiosity and learning? Sad day.

And what IDE is next?

2. spacefrog

spacefrog

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

at least twice on the monster thread, once by me and once by someone later

4. taumel

taumel

Hypercard is something i've never touched in my life but it sounds, hyper? I sometimes heard about it but i only have a rough idea of what it really is. I'll hypergoogle a bit about it.

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm locking this thread, if you want to discuss iPhone OS 4 issues then do so here:

iPhone OS4 today

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.