Search Unity

Running unity server as headless on CentOS 6

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DemocracyIsNonNegotiable, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DemocracyIsNonNegotiable

DemocracyIsNonNegotiable

[Deleted]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. Athalansy

Athalansy

/path/to/file./BEDevMASTERSERVER.x86 ?
    If it returns no file or directory found, try building as x86_64
    Edit:
    Don't forget to add that little dot in "./" that means that it's executable file or something like that, not sure but works for me! :)

3. Athalansy

Athalansy

I'm using Putty so it might be a bit different but the way I do it is, using "cd" step by step I go all the way to the folder where the .x86_64 file is, and when I get there, I use "ls" so it lists all the content of that folder, and there I can see the executable file, then I just input "./ServerNameFile.x86_64"

So try doing it that way, I'm not sure maybe the universal build could be the problem, because at first I built as x86 and tried running it on 64 bit server, and I kept getting "File or directory not found" error, so after hours of Googling I figured out that I should run 64bit version on 64bit server, so I did, I did not build for Universal but just for 64..

4. Athalansy

Athalansy

I'm using FileZilla and all I have to do is right click on the file on the server > file permissions, and set them up there, everything works...

5. p627

p627

hello, i try to run on my centos-6.6 server but i got this error :

./headless.x86_64: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./headless.x86_64)

can you help me please?
    thank you.

6. DemocracyIsNonNegotiable

DemocracyIsNonNegotiable

Hello p627,

I'm assuming the unity application you tried to initialize was 'headless.x86_64"? What this says is that the server tried to start it but failed to do so because it was missing a package. The package that it is missing is Glib_2.15 You can get that package from here: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15) Normally my intuition would be to install the lastest version Glib RPM package but your server says its missing version 2.15, so I'd download and install a package that is version 2.15 but the latest build. The latest version Glib should be binary backwards compatible but start with the one that I boxed in and if that doesn't work, then try installing the latest version. (It'd be at the top) Untitled.png Once you've downloaded the 2.15 RPM package, google how to install RPM package on CentOS 6.6. I know that in the list of RPM packages shown in the picture they say they're for Fedora and all that, but again, Linux is Linux. There are plenty of guides and tutorials on how to do so. Once you've done that, try running ./headless.x86_64 again. If this time is says file or directory not found, try again but without the "." in the "./" before your application name. Other guys reading this, if this is incorrect at some point or incorrect entirely please notify me ASAP. p267 lemme know if you need any help. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  7. p627

p627

thank you very much for the help, i try your solution but i got another erros so i spent some hours reading and i found this post from centos.org forum (https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43944#p186912)

and a moderator say: The glibc that ships with CentOS 6 is 2.12 and will remain 2.12 until it goes eOL in 2020. You cannot change such a major component of the distro without breaking it completely. Do not attempt to do so unless you want to break your system to the point of reinstallation.

i will leave my centos server and i will buy a new ubuntu server that the only solution i thing... but thank you again for your help i really appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Athalansy

Athalansy

I'm almost in the same situation as you are, just like 2 days ahead :D
    You can use port 22 for testing, that's what I did, but for the final release you should learn how to open ports, it's not that hard..
    One thing to note, you'll probably open ports using iptables, so when you do that, you have to start the server and try connecting with a client a few times for the port to get open, otherwise if you check if the port is open with some third-party tool it's always gonna say that it isn't..

9. legrandtimonier1951

legrandtimonier1951

10. legrandtimonier1951

legrandtimonier1951

Hi all, though this conversation is a little old, I have a similar question. Just built a multiplayer game with a client and server build, the latter headless for a CentOS Linux machine that I want to use on the Internet to interact with several machines running the client. My question is: where to put the Data folder and server executable that I created when building the headless Linux x_64 server version with Unity. I really don't want to screw up since this is a usually mission-critical Linux box.