Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Root animation doesnt move

Discussion in 'Animation' started by dienat, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dienat

dienat

I have used three different animations packs with root animations and none works. Just one, mixamo, moves the character with animation but then resets its position back, the other two dont move the character forward.

I have set a script in the character with animator.applyRootMotion = true;

The models use mecanim humanoid type, loop checkbox enabled and its not in bake position in the animation settings, so have no idea why its not moving.

Just set an animation controller with default state to the moving animation

2. dienat

dienat

i have deleted the script component which i used to enable the root motion and used root motion enabled in the component and now it works

But if i do it in script doesnt work using

private void Awake()
    {
    animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    animator.applyRootMotion = true;
    }

The problem was that i was using OnAnimatorMove and that makes applyRootMotion not working by script

But if i cant use OnAnimatorMove how can i update the agent velocity so that it fits the animator speed?

I wanted to use agent.velocity = animator.deltaPosition / Time.deltaTime; in the OnAnimatorMove

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

There is a nice thread about this type of behavior here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/navmeshagent-mecanim-animator.262951/

The idea discussed in the linked thread is that rather than using the animator to control the NavMeshAgents velocity, you can use the NavMeshAgent.desiredVelocity to control how your AnimatorController is behaving. I think that should get you closer to what you are trying to accomplish.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. dienat

dienat

I am using root motion in the end, its the only option to achieve a realist movement i found.