Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [RELEASED] Rocky Hills Free Environment pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by florianalexandru05, Mar 2, 2016.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Putting together the mobile version models for the Rocky Hills Environment pack. This version of the pack will only contain models with a baked diffuse texture, one or two trees, some grass and a few essentials hoping it can be of aid in making a fast and easy terrain.

Models

First version of the cliff for comparison (will also be included)

At the moment only retextured the first cliff.

S4G4N, GCatz and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Generic Cliff 1_Mobile vrsion, one diffuse texture. (No AO or normals)

I can't believe how well the mobile version got remeshed, it was looking pretty terrible when I picked it up from the dead, only 347 faces. I also fixed the other mobiel cliff.

S4G4N likes this.
  3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Still alive and moving.

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Alright, I'm back from my long brake, even made a few packs in the mean time and left this one aside but now it's time to give it some love. As It was brought up by one of my clients, I will make a announcement!
    I made the decision of releasing the free environment pack early, while in wip, and that will be as soon as possible.I think it could be a useful asset for game developers.

Expect updates soon!

chelnok likes this.
  6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some updates for the free version of the pack. I started creating and putting together resources I have in a new project so I can have it online soon, maybe this month if not the next one. Also, I'm putting the cave I did for the big pack in this free one. I'm giving it away for free! :)
    I will remake the cave in 4k for the big pack.

Don't expect much from this pack, just a few rocks and some trees... Will include normal maps and a few AO maps.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Still putting my stuff in the free pack. Won't be much, just a few cliffs and rocks and some spruce trees. I'm almost done, will just add a tile texture and I'll upload it as soon as I can, then I'll make updates later.

The models are almost identical to the high quality version, only lower polygon count for the mesh. I just baked the texture map from one mesh to the other.

8. magique

magique

Nice pack. I like the trees. Are those Unity trees or just mesh trees?

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, they are mesh trees but I also used them in the terrain editor. I'll add more screenshots later.
    Feel free to pick the pack up to when it's out. It's free and it could work with the dungeon. This is the free version or a light version of this one https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rocky-hills-environment-pack.381438/ the pro version, but it's going to take a while. I hope to finish that one to after the dungeon. This pack has been very delayed and going pretty slow so I should try finish it right after the dungeon.

magique likes this.
  10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

A bit delayed but I wanted to finish the example scene I set up for the pack. Now I should have it uploaded. At the moment the pack contains:

3 Tiles
    15 Prefabs
    16 Models
    1 Spruce tree with 3 variations
    1 Example secene
    1 Legacy Project pack (13 items)

Well, I accidentally rendered in Gama but I thought it looks pretty interesting.

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Pack was sent for approval today!

12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

13. magique

magique

I like the cliff segments. Are they included with and without moss/grass?

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Unfortunately, they are only included with grass. I was thinking of making some "rock only" cliff rocks that are pretty seamless and more modular for the pro version. I should have some seamless stuff to but I don't think that will happen, keeping in mind this is a free pack however, I would like to hear any suggestions you might have to add to this pack and the pro version as well. I still had some stuff I didn't include it in yet, like I'd like to add some other kinds of trees to. I'm playing on giving it a few updates.

15. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hey florian,

something news about your asset ?

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not at the moment. I went through some drawbacks. Managed to finish some updates on two of my old packs because I couldn't really work on this one for now. These:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-classic-columns-development-thread.390929/
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...hand-painted-textures-official-thread.360639/https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...hand-painted-textures-official-thread.360639/
    Am trying to upload them, then I'll get back to this pack...

I will also have to move to Spain in December so I'll get really busy. I'll probably end up continuing on it from Spain.

17. prayash

prayash

Hey Florian,

Thank you for the amazing assets. Been really enjoyable playing with these in my project. Just out of curiosity, what tool do you use to make such assets? I want to learn how to make beautiful models like yours, is there a place you'd recommend starting? The textures are incredibly well made. Kudos to you!

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I use Blender for modeling, I used to be a 3ds max user but I switched to blender because I found it faster and less heavy. If you're interested in finding a good modeling application Blender is a good start, of course it's based on preferences there are alot of 3d applications out there so find what one you like feel more comfortable with. Keep in mind that for certain things that are game engine specific some things might or might not work depending on the app! You'll find this out as you work.

The software's I use to make models are the following and the best ones in my opinion:

1. Blender - for modeling (free) (Blender is a good free alternative for everything from modeling, UV editing and sculpting, rendering and even real time. The sculpting is basic but I prefer Zbrush)
    2. UV layout - for UV unwrap (best UV editor) (not so free but cheap)
    3. Substance designer and substance painter - for making textures and material
    s (These are the best in my opinion, I saw nothing out there that can get even close. I suggest you invest in a monthly subscription it's only 20/40ish $ per month. I have a indie license)
    4. Photshop - (you can get cs2 for free) Necessary for finalizing textures and adding layers, working with masks.
    5. ZBrush - for sculpting (not free)

Not really any places, just get yourself some youtube tutorials and start learning! Best of luck!