Search Unity

Rocket Plume [iOS]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by JoeStrout, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Over the summer, the boys and I worked hard on a unique little cave flyer called...

We finally wrapped up all the finishing details, and it's now available in the app store!

The inspiration was a classic (i.e. ancient) game called Spout, in which your little spaceship (originally just a dot) spews exhaust that can chew away at the surrounding rock. We've taken it further with refueling, coin collection, and progressively harder caves (as well as a pretty awesome soundtrack!).

One thing we're especially proud of is that the caves are randomly generated based on the current date (in GMT). So, everybody gets the same cave for a day; then the next day, everybody gets a new cave. This gives you time to master a particular cave, but before it gets dull, you get a new one.

We also had fun learning about procedural audio, used to generate rock-chewing noises that reflect actual impacts of hundreds of exhaust particles. It's not only cool, but also useful feedback; you learn to rely on these sounds to judge how your excavations are going.

Anyway, please give it a try (it's free!). We really hope you like it!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I finally got set up to make video captures of Rocket Plume gameplay (via AirServer). So, for those curious about what this looks like but unable to download to an iOS device, or just curious to hear what I sound like when I'm mumbling to myself as I play a twitch game...

Oh, and BTW, we're running a little promotional drawing to help get enough reviews to display a rating in the App Store. Details are available over in the TouchArcade forum.

Best,
    - Joe

RavenOfCode likes this.
  3. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks really good! :) I unfortunately don't have any IOS device, any chance for android release?

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, since it's Unity, there's always a chance. :) But I don't know very much about Android use or development. In particular, the game relies partly on in-app purchase... and I have no idea how that works on the Android platform.

So, yeah, it's certainly a possibility, but I would need to invest in some serious education first!

RavenOfCode likes this.