Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RI.Hid Failed to Create Device File

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jax_Cavalera, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Jax_Cavalera

Jax_Cavalera

Does anyone know what might be causing the following error <RI.Hid> Failed to create device file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

or perhaps how to fix Unity so this error doesn't continue to pop up. I am finding that leaving Unity run in the background for half a day while I am working on an asset in another program will cause Unity to crash. Even if the other software I'm working on is not a 3D Application and wouldn't be putting that much strain on unity. The only errors I seem to be getting with Unity are the one above and another related to cache expiring for a file titled 10.json

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but figure I should mention it incase it is of some relevance.

r3n4npx4r6, Rayeloy and yaaragu like this.
  2. mashman

mashman

+1
    I am having the same issue with Unity Pro. Anyone?

3. Mau

Mau

me too, having the same error here with unity pro 4.3.4

4. Raiden-Freeman

Raiden-Freeman

I had the same issue with a Dual Shock 4 plugged in, and ds to xinput mapper running. If you disconnect the controller (or turn xinput mapping off) it goes away.

yoyobill and tokylebaker like this.
  5. guavaman

guavaman

RI is RawInput. It's an error being generated by Unity's input system which is based on Raw Input. You can't do anything to stop it except unplug the controller that is causing the issue. Logitech's F710 wireless gamepad always gives this error when the switch is set to D mode. The controller still works sometimes even when this error shows up.

mbclassroom, gojGAMES and RavenOfCode like this.
  6. tswalk

tswalk

so, I posted in the wrong thread about a similar <RI.Hid> error, but this has been ongoing problem for me since 4.6.3f1 was released

anyone else getting spammed in Unity console with this one?

7. guavaman

guavaman

Yes, I see this periodically depending on what's plugged in. Seems to happen more with Bluetooth devices as you connect or disconnect them when the Unity window isn't active. I haven't figured out what steps are involved in getting it, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

8. tswalk

tswalk

I have 3 USB devices and get a half-dozen spammed messages every so often... nearly every time there's a recompile it seems.

9. guavaman

guavaman

Well, I guess file a bug report and hope they fix it. There isn't anything you can do to fix a Unity bug like this. Do your controllers still work after the error is displayed?

10. HP

HP

I get the same error after installing Unity3D 4.6.3 and/or 4.6.3p1
    This is from the editor log file...

<RI.Hid> Failed to create device file:
    1 Unzulässige Funktion.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 54)
    The Path of the Filename doesn't exists on my hard drive.
    There is no input device connected and the error shows up 15 times every few minutes.
    Only a mouse and a LAN adaptor are connected over USB.

11. OculusFan

OculusFan

I'm getting the same problem it happened after a crash when I was working on the first part of a Unity Tutorial. I'm not sure whether I should get rid of the project or just start a new scene or what.

12. guavaman

guavaman

There's no need. It's essentially just cosmetic and doesn't affect anything as far as I can tell. Starting a new project won't fix it either.

13. tswalk

tswalk

while it may be cosmetic, it is really annoying when debugging and needing to get some logs...

14. tswalk

tswalk

things do seem to continue working... but, I did file a report: Case 673862

15. guavaman

guavaman

Just FYI, I get this sometimes in Unity 4.3 so it's not a new issue. Thanks for submitting the report.

tswalk likes this.
  16. Shecky2000

Shecky2000

Confirmed for 4.6.31f Pro. Still there.

17. BadPritt

BadPritt

Still present in 4.6.3p3 as well

18. Disastercake

Disastercake

Also happening for me on 4.6.31f Pro. Was not happening with the previous version. I do not have a controller plugged in.

19. k3pp

k3pp

I'm having the same problem, but i can't disconect the input device... it's the notebook's touch screen that's giving me this errors... (I'm on a HP Envy notebook)
    That's really annoying, since when I'm in play mode, the editor keeps pausing because of this error.... someone have tips on how to avoid this?

20. tswalk

tswalk

you can't.. Unity needs to fix it in their code. there's nothing we can do about it beside disconnecting all our USB devices.. which is LOL.

21. tswalk

tswalk

oh and just FYI, my case # (mentioned earlier) has had an update:

22. guavaman

guavaman

You can disable Error Pause in the console as a workaround.

23. tswalk

tswalk

4.6.3p4 673862 still open

maybe 4.6.4p1 ?

24. Ian-Backlund-at-Work

Ian-Backlund-at-Work

Sill experiencing this in 4.6.4f1

25. kopkinho

kopkinho

And in 5.0.1 too.

26. tswalk

tswalk

well.... I left my project to 'run' for a while... had hoped to see some interesting debug logs, but the console was mostly filled with <RI.Hid> critical errors. (like my screen shot from before... ) 320 of them in fact. I went to take a shower and eat lunch.

just reading over the asset store submission guides... as i'm working on one and read this:

..."Remember that your code will be included in other people's project and too many warnings from 3rd party contributors may clutter up important errors or warnings in their own code."

what about clutter from Unity itself?

seriously, can this not be an optional hide flag in preferences somewhere?

27. guavaman

guavaman

I get this error but only on occasion, and when it does happen, I'm not getting anywhere near as many entries as you. Therefore, I'm guessing it's due to some specific HID device in your system that Unity doesn't like. If you've already tried disconnecting all your HID devices one by one to see which one might be causing it, you could then go into Device Manager and disable any HID devices there one by one. You may have a program installed that creates a virtual HID device. I've run into this issue before with a remote access program that created a virtual HID device.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Even when I don't have any USB cords attached to my computer I get the error message. It doesn't stop me from running the scene and I can just clear it anyway (I'm using Unity 5.0.1, Personal Edition). I only get the error when I close my laptop and open it back up again...
    The good news is - and this was probably already mentioned but just in case it wasn't - is that by pressing 'collapse' in the console it only makes the error appear once so it is easier to find other errors. Works for me at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
  29. tswalk

tswalk

Thanks for the input (lol) guavaman... i'm digging more into my system now to see what is up. a total of 29 HID devices, and only 2 are virtual... perhaps I can track down the offender.

30. guavaman

guavaman

29?? Man... I've only got 6 in Device Manager with a keyboard and mouse attached. 3 are labeled "HID-compliant ..." and 3 are "USB Input Device." Each USB Input Device probably matches to one of the HID-compliant entries.

Edit: Interesting. I just launched Unity and got 3 of those errors, which perfectly coincides with the number of "HID-compliant" entries I see in device manager.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  31. tswalk

tswalk

I get 5 at a time, 3 times.. so 15 HID messages each polling (well, at least I believe Unity is polling the devices... every few minutes).

I think it may be coorelating to the "USB Input Device" listing and/or the controllers (USB Root Hubs)... I have exactly 5 of those under each category for Universal Serial Bus controllers and HIDs, each referencing...

I'm beginning to wonder now if this has anything to do with polling rates.... but I'm doubting there is anything system configuration wise I can do to stop or slow it down.

here's the errors logged by Unity:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 54)
    1 Incorrect function.

as an example, unplugging my headphones and back in generates:
    <RI.Hid> Device is not supported: Vengeance 2100 Headset Battery Charger (65280, 0x0001).

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 117)

and my gamepad (yes, the interesting characters are include for free :D )
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.002431 seconds (Nothing changed)
    <RI.Hid> Failed to get device caps (0xc0110001) for 㟃밢.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 96)
    <RI.Hid> Failed to get device caps (0xc0110001) for .

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 96)
    <RI.Hid> Device is not supported: HID Interface (65280, 0x0001).

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/Win/RawInput.cpp Line: 117)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  32. tswalk

tswalk

hmmm, i'm able to generate the <RI.Hid> errors in Unity by forcing a reset on the USB Root Hubs via device manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub (select one with devices connected to it.. doesn't matter what kind of device> > Advanced > Reset Hub

fun.... I updated to latest WHQL drivers for mine too.. doesn't make a difference.

perhaps I'll try some older ones.

33. guavaman

guavaman

Resetting the hub with the mouse, keyboard, or gamepad attached also throws a bunch of errors for me, also showing a bunch of Chinese characters. Doesn't seem to be related to any specific device then. Oh well.

One thing I noticed earlier was that I got stuck in a sort of error loop. At one point I had both 4.3 and 4.6.4 running at the same time and both started throwing the errors on startup every time after having done a certain sequence of actions in Windows, possibly involving a Bluetooth adapter (I can't reproduce it). Generally I don't see this error in 4.3. But after rebooting, I'm not getting the errors anymore in either (I'm sure they'll come back though.) However, I get a "device is not functioning" error in 4.6.4 when I plug in an old gamepad, but do not in 4.3. I don't get errors in either when I plug in an X360 controller.

I tried clearing Windows/Temp as well in case there were any leftover files that were write-blocked. No help.

Anyway, you're probably right there's nothing you can do to stop this. Perhaps a reboot will temporarily slow it down. Other than that, I guess it's just another one of those things you have to wait for them to fix. Turn off pause on error and live with a log file full of clutter.

tswalk likes this.
  34. tswalk

tswalk

agreed... I attempted removing all USB devices, checked drivers, clearing un-used devices in device manager, re-installed all usb devices..

still no go. /shrug.

I hope others are submitting reports for it... it just seems to generic to be only affecting a few people.

35. UlfvonEschlauer

UlfvonEschlauer

I got it too with Unity 5. No idea what causes it. I think I either got them after I attached/detached a USB memory stick or after I attached my phone to be charged? I wished I had read the thread earlier, or I would have paid more attention to this.

36. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I just got it for the first time today after moving from 5.0.0f4 to 5.0.1f1. Not sure if it happens every time, but I have seen it quite often.

37. chlagou

chlagou

they fixed it in today 5.0.1 patch

• (673862) - Windows Standalone: Connecting USB devices should no longer throw spurious <RID.Hid> warnings.

38. bsanterre

bsanterre

Same for me, I constantly had it in 4.6, but not in 5, until I updated to 5.0.1f1:

39. guavaman

guavaman

Great news! Thanks!

40. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

I'm getting it on 5.0.1f1 too

41. Tactical_Beard

Tactical_Beard

I just got it too, I switched to watching TV and my comp went to sleep. It may just be caused by a usb device save power setting in windows.

42. David-Hernan

David-Hernan

I got the message for the first time today in half a year using Unity.
    1 Función incorrecta.

Yesterday I aplied the 5.0.1f1 upgrade.
    Only have 3 USB devices connected, mouse Perfect Choice, keyboard Razer Blackwidow, iPhone cable.

43. guavaman

guavaman

FYI, for those expecting a fix in 5.0.1f1, that's not the version that's been fixed. It's 5.0.1p1:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

This issue has been acknowledged and fixed by Unity. Anyone using any version below 5.0.1p1 is likely go get this error at some point. When 5.0.2 is released this fix should be included.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  44. Elecman

Elecman

Same problem here. Downloading the new version now, but why does this "patch" need to be 1.2 Gb?

45. guavaman

guavaman

Unity does not release patches. It's a patch _release_. You're downloading the entire package.

Roman_Keivan likes this.
  46. masoudarvishian

masoudarvishian

I've just connected my wireless xbox controller and everything is fine now, now error!

47. Elecman

Elecman

They should.

48. AndreaF

AndreaF

Same issue with 5.0.1f1

And also Standard Assets first person controller of the same version, seems totally broken

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  49. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

@superpig made some changed to the input system a while ago to make the hot-plugins better, maybe he can help us?

50. guavaman

guavaman

It's been fixed in 5.0.1p1 (again).

Roman_Keivan likes this.