Search Unity

Retrograde - Retrofy your game.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HemiMG, Apr 29, 2017.

1. HemiMG

HemiMG

Asset Store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/86390

Hey everyone, I'd like to introduce my latest asset to hit the store, Retrograde!

Retrograde is, at its core, at tool to give games the palettized look of retro games and switch between multiple color profiles at runtime without the need to reauthor your artwork. It includes some other features to help aid in the illusion too, such as down sampling to give your game a pixelized look, a simple retro TV/Monitor simulator with a variety of options to tweak, and a simple toon shader to reduce the color needs of your 3D based projects

The color grading part gives you a variety of base palette LUTs to choose from, ranging from EGA to VGA in the RGB color space, and equivalents in NTSC and PAL with the colors generated the way a fictional TV console might. There is also a wide variety of default palettes to chose from, representing sub-palettes of the full base palette that real world consoles and graphics cards from the past might have been limited to.

It also features a color quantizer that will allow you to create your own sub-palettes from an image of your game to create an optimized sub-palette mapped to any of the base palettes. Because some limited color palettes might not accommodate every color scheme, there is also a tool to change the color of a sprite or material, or the entire sprite or mesh, depending on which color profile is setup.

Also included is a selection of dithering types, in case reducing the colors take too much detail away from your art.

I'll post a little more detail when I'm at the right computer to take screenshots from. For now, here is a video of the effect applied with a few different presets

Screenshot (297).png Screenshot (298).png Screenshot (299).png Screenshot (303).png Screenshot (302).png