Search Unity

Reset network manager

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by marcV2g, Jul 25, 2017.

1. marcV2g

marcV2g

So if If I leave a scene with a network manager and it gets destroyed the next time I try to start one up I get:

NullReferenceException: Before using the library you should call Init() and do not forget to call Shutdown() afterwards
    UnityEditor.NetworkDetailStats+NetworkOperationDetails.NewProfilerTick (Int32 tickId) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Profiler/NetworkDetailStats.cs:118)
    UnityEditor.NetworkDetailStats.NewProfilerTick (Single newTime) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Profiler/NetworkDetailStats.cs:209)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity.UNetStaticUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkIdentity.cs:1095)

How can I reset the network system?

2. marcV2g

marcV2g

Does anyone know, I really need a way top force the network system back to its default starting state.

3. TwoTen

TwoTen

Have you tried what the message tells you?

4. marcV2g

marcV2g

do I call init on the low level api or the network manager?

5. TwoTen

TwoTen

Are you using LLAPI or HLAPI?
    Seems by the messages like you are using HLAPI.
    I guess just before you destroy the NetworkManager. Do NetworkManager.Shutdown();

6. marcV2g

marcV2g

I am using HLAPI but I do still get a lot of LLAPI errors. I am trying to make it shut down properly but would still like a way to prevent the app from being permanently broken if a scene is exited incorrectly.

7. TwoTen

TwoTen

If a scene is exited incorrectly? Just make sure to shut it down before exiting the scene? Or even simpler. Never destroy the NetworkManager.

8. marcV2g

marcV2g

After looking at the HLAPI code StartClient calls NetworkTransport.Init. Does the LLAPI have a get state method so I can see if it needs to be shutdown before it starts?

9. TwoTen

TwoTen

Not that I know of. But why don't you just Shut it down before the scene is changed? Or never destroy it at all

10. marcV2g

marcV2g

I will see if calling it in OnDestroy works but for not destroying it on my current project it is in a stage where its a bit late to totally change how scene transitions work.

11. TwoTen

TwoTen

You don't have to change how transitions work. There is a option on the networkmanager called "DontDestroyOnLoad". Tick it and the NM will remain across scenes.

xVergilx likes this.
  12. marcV2g

marcV2g

Will it prevent multiple instances being created if I go to the same scene again?

13. TwoTen

TwoTen

14. marcV2g

marcV2g

I currently have two network managers because Unity has a odd idea of what a singleton is.

15. TwoTen

TwoTen

16. marcV2g

marcV2g

Is there any to to suggest to Unity

void Awake()
    {
    InitializeSingleton();
    }

Be changed to:

protected virtual void Awake()
    {
    InitializeSingleton();
    }

17. TwoTen

TwoTen

You can download the Bitbucket project. Change the sourcecode. Compile it to a DLL. And replace your current one with that one.
    Further instructions:
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/networking/overview