Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Request] What are some cool new casual game ideas ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by genaray, Jul 31, 2017.

1. genaray

genaray

Good morning !

I think there many guys who have the same problem as i have... finding good game ideas for mobile/Console and PC...
    So for all those uninspired developers out there, lets create a list of some ideas :D

If you have a cool idea to share with us than just post it here ^^

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd like to see more pixel-based games where you can dig/pour/blow up the terrain. There are a few out there, but I think the potential is much higher. It's why I created PixelSurface, and while a few interesting games have come out of it, there is room for a lot more.

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I have the opposite problem - I have so many ideas I can't focus on ANYTHING!! I think this is a much more common condition - we creatives suffer from. :confused:
    Sometimes I start sculpting a awesome warhammer dwarf and end up creating a centaur, demon, dwarven amalgamation.

Unfortunately the ideas I have can only be accurately created by myself - so I'll keep ALL of them to myself! Nobody can get my ideas. (sarcasm :D)

I agree with Joe - I think their is still a lot of potential for terrain deformation concepts that have not been explored. I would like to see the tech similar to Pixel Surface applied with some type of rpg genre - something like LoZ A Link to the Past would be an interesting approach, or a pixel art god game would be interesting.

4. Teila

Teila

The first thing one must do is find an idea. If one cannot even find an idea, then this does not bode well for development. :)

You might do better asking Gamers what they want rather than developers. I doubt anyone will share their best ideas.

5. genaray

genaray

didnt thought that anyone would reply to this thread ! Thanks for your replys :D
    I personally think that very simple and nice looking games are very popular at the moment. Games without any depth, which people play when they have some time left waiting for the bus/train. The best examples are games like "Flappy Birds", "Color Switch", "Stack" and much many other "Ketchapp" games. But those are mainly for mobile devices. They highly depend on a high replayability and very easy core mechanics. Im currently trying to develop an similar game... but maybe my game is a bit too simple and not addictive enough... I will create a showcase thread for it later ^^

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I have yet to see a ketchapp game that is an original concept/idea. So you are already looking at copies of originals. They are usually rips of the latest popular (2-4 weeks) game on iOS/android. Might consider expanding your search criteria for original concepts.

7. starikcetin

starikcetin

You have just expressed the biggest pitfall in beginner indie game development. We usually forget our target community are not developers, but gamers.

Farelle, theANMATOR2b and Teila like this.
  8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I make this point quite often - but it is safe to say developers have the most helpful information about certain demographics, genres and products developed. It's because we analyze the audience and gather statistics on them.
    And on mobile - the audience doesn't know half the time - what they really want. Case in point - most hate ads but continue to play ad driven games and refuse to purchase premium games. o_O

I'd seriously consider another interest other than game design if I wanted to create games but didn't have any good game ideas - isn't that like the first ingredient in the game development, up-start soup?

Marrt and Teila like this.
  9. Teila

Teila

Yeah, I agree. The idea is the nucleus. If you have to ask for ideas, then you are never going to be able to handle the creativity of game design. No where to go without the idea. Someone else's idea is never going to keep you slogging for months or even years.

10. woeski

woeski

ideas are usually not the problem but assets...
    atleast as a coder

11. Marrt

Marrt

Has been stated many times:

Ideas are a dime a dozen
    It is perseverance to commit and execute something only you believe in, and the willingness to drop it when it fails that matters

Take me for example,
    I currently have 5 prototypes of game ideas i would be willing to go through with

- PC local multiplayer 2D pixel brawler with combat deepness between slasher and beat'em'up
    - Mobile PvP Sport Simulation game with discrete interaction rounds and deterministic integer physics
    - Mobile Ego-Shooter with Flawless Gyro-Controls and a worthy accelerometer fallback
    - Mobile Procedural Open World Game with the same flawless gyro controls
    - Simultaneous Turns Digital Board Game based on Mage Wars
    - Abandoned top down shooter where i almost fully implemented all my "cool" ideas. In the end my ideas just didn't feel how i imagined it, the whole experience sucked and was awkward
    Pls dont share, quote or look at it :D so i can remove it later
    >removed<

For two of them i am in the process of asking for government grant (Austria offers creative grants every 6 Months, so why not try to be one of the recipients) but never have i finished and released a "full" game, so why are you even listening to me.

For ideas, I take something I really liked but felt was needing specific twists or features. I prototype. The idea fails. I move on

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If you do this one, you should include pixel-scale environment destruction & effects (fire, water, etc.). That'd be a hoot. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. Marrt

Marrt

The prototype is already pretty far in progression towards a beta. I think i can't do pixeldestruction, never even thought about what an implementation would entail. Oh, and the game is Top-Down, so Water and so on would be a puddle on the ground without much interaction, it feels very much like a pvp-balanced version of Hyperlight Drifter, where is my default pic:

g.gif

But Platforming Brawlers would benefit from that idea, I imagine a more developed version of samurai gunn with those pixeldestruction stuff.

JoeStrout likes this.