Search Unity

Request for SceneView Class Documentation

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by NinjaSlayer, Aug 31, 2015.

1. NinjaSlayer

NinjaSlayer

As I was poking around trying to re-create a feature from Unity 3.5 I came across the SceneView class, but I couldn't find any documentation for it. Could you (Unity developers or whoever is able to add documentation) add the documentation for the SceneView class explaining its functions and member variables?

I can sort of understand what each item is/does by its name, but it would help to know exactly what it's supposed to do.

Edit: A little clarification; the SceneView class can be found in the UnityEditor namespace when editing a script in MonoDevelop.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hmm. This comes up every few months. SceneView is technically private, so isn't documented. We know that there are users who have worked things out.

3. NinjaSlayer

NinjaSlayer

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply!

If this occurs frequently, perhaps you should add the SceneView class into the documentation, but for the actual info itself write something like: "SceneView is a private class to Unity Technologies; no documentation will be provided." so people will know that the documentation was intentionally left out.

You could also do this to other private classes that frequently receive requests for docs.

4. sloopernine

sloopernine

The SceneView should be in consideration of being public then. SceneView opens up alot more power to the editor developer. But without proper documentation and examples it is really hard work.

To be honest whole UnityEditor should be more open, give us proper documentation, tutorials and examples. I know there are few in the learn section, but really feels like it could get more attention.

5. khan-amil

khan-amil

Agreed, the class isn't in Internal namespace anymore, so it's suprising to not have it appear on the documentation at all..

6. Chralex

Chralex

I was actually just about to write a thread complaining about the same thing. I'd also like documentation to be available for the SceneView, or at least write in there that it is not documented because you consider it "Internal", even though it isn't. Then I don't have to search for it next time or think about creating a thread.