Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(Repost) Unity/Mono bug exposed - How to break Unity in under 20 lines of code

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by Zergling103, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Zergling103

Zergling103

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this bug, we will investigate it!

Zergling103 likes this.
  3. Zergling103

Zergling103

Thanks for checking it out. :)

I see the issue has been listed here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...on-the-classes-in-the-module-cannot-be-loaded

It's marked as "Postponed". Purely out of curiousity (as yes, I can work around it), any insight onto why this was happening or what it would take to fix it you'd be willing to share?

Also, I noticed in the fogbugz tracker it is marked as "closed".

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Baste

Baste

A lot of compiler bugs I have sent in have gotten postponed with the message "This is postponed until after the Mono upgrade". I'm assuming it's because the bug's probably fixed in newer versions of Mono, so the devs have chosen to wait until the fix comes "for free" with the upgrade rather than to backport the fix.

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This bug is actually related to the way Mono lays out the vtable for the type. This this case it ends up being wrong. There is a good bit of risk in changing the vtable layout in the existing versions of Mono Unity uses, so we thought it would be better to leave the bug in as-is.

In the new version of the Mono runtime that we have been shipped via experimental previews (and will ship in a supported release), this vtable layout problem has been corrected.

Sorry, we should have notified you via the bug report when we closed the bug though.

6. Zergling103

Zergling103

No worries, thanks for the info. :)