Search Unity

RenderTexture generated texture -> renders as black.

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Lucas Meijer_old, May 7, 2008.

1. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

Hey.

I'm hoping somebody here can see where I'm doing something wrong.
    I'm blitting several transparent textures ontop of eachother, resulting in a single texture.
    I use a rendertexture for this, a seperate camera, and use the GL.Begin() method of drawing a quad.

Then I take a Texture2D, and I do ReadPixels(), to read the rendertexture pixels back, so I can store them in a regular Texture2D, to be used as a diffusemap for a regular material.

When I use the resulting Texture2D with a simple Diffuse shader, the material renders as pitch black.
    Funny enough, the thumbnail inside unity's inspector, looks great. I can see all my layers nicely layered ontop of eachother.

I figured it was an alpha problem, so added another pass to the rendertotexture, with code copied from a forumpost by aras, that clears the alphachannel.
    same result.

When I inspect the texture with the game running, in the inspector, and I select "show alpha" the alpha is completely white. I've also checked all my mip levels, they are all correctly filled.

I'd post the code here, but it's quite a lot of text. The thumbnail looking fine seems to indicate the actual render2texturing and readpixeling is working fine.

Does this ring a bell for anybody?

Bye, Lucas

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Does it look fine in the RenderTexture itself prior to copying over to the Texture?

Did you call Apply () on the texture?

3. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

Apply() does the trick.

filing documentation enhancement request :)

Thanks,

Lucas

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

It's actually already in the documentation.

5. NerdIt-

NerdIt-

@Joachim_Ante I know this thread is SUPER old but I've just run into the exact same problem but, Apply() doesn't fix the issue. The image's thumbnail displays what it should (a radial-gradient) but when I take an actual look at it, the image is completely black. I noticed converting it to a sprite fixes this, but I don't think this will work for me because I am reading the pixel values of the texture. How would I fix?

The texture doesn't get displayed anywhere in the scene because it is meant to just act as a heightmap

6. falahPrgm

falahPrgm

7. lazycatontreebranch

lazycatontreebranch

change shader to sprite

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  8. lazycatontreebranch

lazycatontreebranch

or better to unlit texture

9. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Good fixes guys.