Search Unity

Rendered Quality Settings?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by swalz, Apr 25, 2017.

1. swalz

swalz

I've attached 2 screenshots of an FBX file I'm attempting to bring into Unity. If I bring it into 3ds Max, I can get some pretty clear rendered images from it, but when I bring into Unity, it's completely distorted and unclear. Is there a setting in Unity that will improve the quality/LOD of my imported FBX that would make the appearance similar to that of the 3ds Max rendered quality? Ultimately, I'd like to use this for a VR setting, but seems pointless if it isn't clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

Attached Files:

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It seems to me that is what the file is exporting. If you were to import that file into a different package, is it sill low resolution lod? http://cadimporter.unity3d.jp/ has an importer which may help for multi million poly cad or arch vis files.

You will probably need a license for it from what I can see. Otherwise, you will have to prepare your geometry first beforehand.

3. swalz

swalz

Do you by chance know if there's a setting I might be overlooking in 3ds Max that would cause this scenario to happen?

4. bgolus

bgolus

The meshes look to be the same geometry, just the texture is a different resolution, and it's being lit in Unity where as it does not appear lit in 3ds Max.

How big is the source texture? The default max for Unity is 2048x2048, which you can bump up to 4096x4096, but if you're using a higher resolution texture than that you'll need to break up the texture into multiple parts and re-UV the mesh, or purchase a third party asset that can stream in arbitrarily large textures, like Amplify Texture 2 or Graphine Granite.

UnityLighting likes this.
  5. swalz

swalz

The Source Texture I'm using is 4096x4096. So the procedure I used is simply dragging and dropping in the fbx and the source texture (image) into my assets and then dragging and dropping them into the scene. When you say the default max for Unity is 2048 x 2048, is that the setting it applies to it in the scene even though the texture is already set to 4096 x 4096? Are there any other settings in Unity that will allow me to bump up the resolution, level of detail, applied to my scene?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Find the texture and set the maximum resolution to 4096 inside of Unity. I also recommend the docs.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Make sure "Max Size" is set to 4096x4096 in texture import settings

Also, make sure "Texture Quality" for the quality level you're using is set to "Full Res"

Also, it appears that you've either exported your mesh without smoothing groups, or not enabled them in Unity's FBX importer.

theANMATOR2b and UnityLighting like this.