Search Unity

Render Texture Not Working on Device (Unity 5.2.1f1)

Discussion in 'Android' started by Nigey, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Nigey

Nigey

Hi Guys,

Render texture is not working for me on device. In the editor it looks totally fine. On devices it stops working in two ways, depending on which device I try:
    • Makes the screen go a funny green/purple pixelly color, and does nothing else until I the render texture's gameObject is turned off.
    • Won't load the scene with the render texture in at all. Error popup states 'App Has Stopped Running', and the app closes closes.
    I'm using the most up to date Unity version. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this?

Thanks!

2. doppelmonster

doppelmonster

I have a similar problem. For me the Render Texture just doesent show up (no other problems though) on iOS (ipad4, iphone 4). But it works in Editor and on Android Device. I believe its since the 5.2.1 update, but i am not 100 percent sure.

Nigey likes this.
  3. Nigey

Nigey

So maybe worth reverting back to Unity 5.1?

4. doppelmonster

doppelmonster

5.2.1 fixed other problems for me, so reverting is not an option.
    I forgot to mention that i use the Render texture in an uGUI Raw image component.

I made further tests. It looks like my problem is project related. Could not repro in a new project. I will go on debug my project which is very time consuming because of its size and build time ...

btw. i tried the 5.2.1.p2 which did not help but brought up wierd artefacts in my ugui. so i reverted to 5.2.1f1

Nigey likes this.
  5. Nigey

Nigey

That's also exactly what I do as well. Rendering from a Unity 4.6+ UI / Raw Image. It's very strange how it's happening.

For me my project is a reasonable size as well, and will be difficult to pinpoint the issue, if it's not directly the Render Texture.

Can you put any findings here, and I'll do the same. I might try reverting to 5.1 and see if that fixes mine. It might not even repair the problem.

It's likely a graphics issue. On my devices, sometimes it's totally a black screen, sometimes the screen goes a strange pixellated green/multiple colors, which sounds like a graphics issue to me.. (?)

6. Cyril A

Cyril A

Hi,
    I'm also experimenting the same issue. RenderTexture doesn't work on my simple test project, in Unity 5.2.1f1.
    But everythings is fine with Unity 5.0.4 .
    I also test the 5.2.1p4 and the issue seems fixed too. (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fi...ting-gles2-due-to-anti-aliasing-bloom.357589/)

Maybe it can help.

On my side I would be very interested in any solution or workaround for this issue with RT and 5.2.1f1 as we can't easyly manage to update to the patch (many projects).
    Thanks

7. Nigey

Nigey

Cyril, I managed to only get it working through updating to 5.2.2. However the difference between 5.2.1 and 5.2.2 was pretty negligible for me, so pretty quick and painless.

Good luck!

8. sreejit_730

sreejit_730

Hello,

I am using Unity 5.2.1f1.

I use a Quad which has a material having the Standard Shader with a render texture on it.
    I use the Render Texture as a Target Texture of a camera.
    I have a directional light.

Everything works fine in Editor. Whatever the camera looks at, it is shown in the quad.
    But in my iPhone the quad turns black, Render Texture doesn't seem to work.

Am i doing something wrong or is this an issue with unity 5.2.1.f1?

Thanks!

9. rezaalidad

rezaalidad

Hi, there is no rendering texture option in my unit [ATTACH = full] 904403 [/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH = کامل] 904406 [/ATTACH]

Attached Files: