Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Renaissance Coders - The Definitive Unity Tutorial Channel

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by renaissanceCoder1, Apr 9, 2015.

?

How likely are you to visit our YouTube channel at some point?

1. Never will.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Probably won't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Possibly after more advanced tutorials are put out

10.5%
  4. Likely

15.8%
  5. Very likely

73.7%
  1. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hello, game enthusiasts. My name is Darren, and I am the co-creator of a YouTube channel called Renaissance Coders where we are teaching Unity3D concepts from the bottom up - expecting little to no knowledge in scripting, programming, or software/game development in general from our viewers.

If you truly want to learn game development in Unity3D, come check us out and you wont be disappointed. As I said before, we are motivated and passionate about teaching this stuff, we post videos quite regularly, and we can't wait to complete some really cool projects with all of you who aspire to be great game developers.

What types of tutorials do we create?
    -We are focusing first on programming. Jared handles JavaScript programming tutorials, while I handle C#. I also conduct tutorials specifically for Unity3D Scripting in C#. The reason we care so much about programming is because we care about the development part of creating games.
    -We also have Unity Basics tutorials, where we talk about how to use the Unity3D interface and how to use tools (such as the Scene and Game View, Inspector, Profiler, Project Panel, Lighting Manager, Animator, and much more).

Updates:
    -New to Unity3D and want to learn to code in C# quickly? Let us teach you here.
    -We are back! Learn about creating powerful editor tools. This is one of the more advanced topics on our channel. Check it out here.

Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to tell you about our YouTube tutorial channel.
    It would mean a lot to us if you helped keep this thread alive so other people have a chance to read it.
    Here is our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkUIs-k38aDaImZq2Fgsyjw

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Zekromanian

Zekromanian

I will love to see if this channel grow

3. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Thank you, Zekromanian! We are working every day to make it happen. Tell your friends! :)

4. VCefalu

VCefalu

I think there could always be more coding tutorials. It's the part that I really want to learn because I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, so creating the "gears" of the game are what I am most interested in.

If I could suggest/request something: I don't know of any tutorials that give any insight on how to organize a more complex project when it comes to the coding, and that's where I tend to get lost. How do I make a robust character class, for instance? How is that then integrated into the rest of the game? Which objects in Unity do I attach scripts to? Most importantly, when do you decide a part of the game should be in a separate class/function?

I understand you are planning on something like this so I wanted to share what I would like to see emphasized. A lot of channels on YT work their way towards the same thing, but never quite get there usually because they stop making videos altogether. And I feel like an idiot because I've read all sorts of books on OOC and the likes, but I can't seem to grasp it. I know all the basic concepts of coding, learned through C++ and Java, but the rest of it eludes me and I get quite frustrated. All I want to start with is a simple exploration game, and I can't even do that...

Sorry for the long post. tl:dr is I'm interested in the more advance topics to come.

5. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hey VCefalu, you pose a great question and bring up some good points. Thank you for your post!

Organizing game systems is truly a challenge and one that must not be taken on midway into a project. We will cover project planning when we get into some of the project videos. Usually when we make a game, a lot of documentation goes into it first (especially if other people are collaborating on it) to be sure every programmer is on the same page with how to set things up. I look forward to making some videos on this topic so thank you for bringing it up.

Within the next few weeks I am going to be kicking off a character controller series (since there are many different types). In these videos, I will be talking, in depth, about ways to set up various scripts that tie into a nice, fit character controller - including camera controllers and how they can be used to enhance the character controllers.

VCefalu likes this.
  6. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

We have completed our first series: C# for beginners. And now we get to focus on more Unity3D tutorials!

We strongly believe in the idea that a great game developer needs to know their stuff to be a considered great. It all starts with the basics. We also believe you cannot be an efficient C# scripter in Unity3D without knowing how to program in C#.

So here it is. Enjoy! :)

1.Intro to C# Programming
    2.If Statements
    3.Switch Statements
    4.Methods
    5.Loops
    6.Recursion
    7.Enumerations
    8&9. Classes and Objects
    10. Properties
    11. Structs
    12. Arrays and Lists

And we even have challenges with solutions and explanations!
    13. C# Challenge 1
    14. C# Challenge 2

If you are new to programming, watch these videos and you will finally be ready to begin making great games in Unity3D.

7. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Ahh..its been a long break, but we're back baby!

Our newest Unity tutorial series is live here. Its all about extending the Unity Editor ot

Join us as we create a feature-filled editor tool that enables a developer to create RPG character prefabs and asset files with just a few clicks.

Take a look at the short series intro below to see if this is something you're interested in.

eses likes this.
  8. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

So this is a widely request tutorial, Scene Manager. We updated a previous one we had using Application.LoadLevel. I'm hoping this helps someone.

Now, if you are interested in scene transitions and loading screens, this tutorial is a continuation and may be of more use to you.

eses and Gametyme like this.
  9. Kalladystine

Kalladystine

Skimmed the updated SceneManager tutorial.

Quick question - why are you using DontDestroyOnLoad if it's considered a bad practice even from the Docs?
    (from MultiSceneEditing)
    Note - I'm all for tutorial channels, but not for spreading unrecommended methods. If there's a particular reason - sure, but especially in a contrived example like that I don't see one and it can lead to undesired behaviours later on and bad habits in the long run.

Any chance for some more advanced stuff? I think I've seen "Unity for beginners" a lot of time (more than I can count), but not many on having something actually workable instead of just a sample, disjointed script that does one thing and one thing only in the whole scene.

Again note - not bashing, just curious on how you're planning to further the channel outside of the entry level stuff.

10. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Thanks for the questions.

The reason we use DontDestroyOnLoad is because it gets the job done, its simple, and it has proved reliable over the past 4 years or so that we have used it. The docs recommend against this method since the addition of the SceneManagement namespace in version 5.2..or 5.3 (I cant remember). They want you to create a new scene and load scenes as additive now. This process is just more work imho, and frankly more complicated to explain for people who want in depth explanations. What is actually happening with DontDestroyOnLoad is virtually the same. A special scene is actually created for you to manage persistent objects. If anyone tells you this method of initializing singletons is bad habit, they are probably talking out of their ass.

As for the more advanced stuff, the editor scripting series that was just added to the channel is more advanced - probably considered intermediate. We can't really say when we will be adding advanced tutorials because our content creators do not produce tutorials full-time (or even part-time). The reason many of our tutorials are entry level is those target a larger demographic of viewers, and finding an advanced topic that can be discussed in 10-20 minutes is surprisingly difficult.

What ideas do you have in mind for advanced content?

Kalladystine likes this.
  11. Kalladystine

Kalladystine

Fair enough (and surprisingly honest about targeting audience, not many say it straight out - kudos).

Your editor playlist is pretty interesting indeed.

While those topics classification of being advanced may vary (and trying to keep it limited to things dividible to 20 mins per episode as you said):
    • Data separation from MonoBehaviours
    • Serialization
    • Threading
    • Using Animation curves as interpolation functions (f.e. for sinusoidal movement)
    Some more challenges would also be nice, they're always fun. Maybe some in Unity context too?

12. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Thanks for the suggestions Kalladystine. And how do you feel about learning shader programming? Its a topic we have discussed going into, without being sure how many people are interested in the topic. This question goes out to anyone else who may happen upon this as well.

13. Kalladystine

Kalladystine

Never really got into it (not because I didn't try... the concepts just seem to escape me a little bit). It's I think a definitely worthy topic.