Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

So check with U5.6 - I tested compilation on metal - seems to pass thru w/o errors. Popping should be not visible at all when tessellation works and tessellation factor is set to something like 5 or more for far distance like on my screenshot.

On PC I can run Unity app (editor and builds) with selected platform - not only DirectX. With "-force-glcoreXX" (XX=41) I can check how it's behave with gl 4.1 level. But as I said- it's PC running app with opengl, it's not native Mac.

Tom

2. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Hi guys,
    Can we use RTP for mobile platforms? Will it cause any performance issues like unity terrain.Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Cheers!

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP is meant for desktops and consoles. For mobile it can run on hi-end mobiles (like iPad3). Unity terrain performance issues are rather related to heavy CPU/mesh management more than shaders. Due to features added RTP has more expensive shading.

Tom

4. BigBite

BigBite

Hello Tom, I seem to run into an issue with Tessellation. My terrain explodes into this mess after I enable it:

upload_2017-4-23_17-56-4.png

I used the Prep Normal Map tool that's part of RTP and assigned it to the shader. I'm using Terrain Composer, in case that matters. Terrain composer is not generating anything at this stage however, I'm just working with RTP at the moment. Did I miss a button?

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

The height&normal map used for tessellation seems to be invalid. I'm aware of bug (present in recent versions, already fixed) in RTP that sRGB flag was being set wrong for the texture prepared in my tool. You can check this ? I'm not sure which tool you used - it's not "prep normal" rather we need to prepare _height_ data together with normals seems like it's been messed up looking at your screenshot (like random heights decoded from texture).

Tom

6. BigBite

BigBite

I used the prepare _height_ data together with normals tool. How would I check this flag?

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Give me Unity version and look at verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder. It's supposed to work out of the box in recent version. Texture made has sRGB (bypass sRGB in prev Unity versions) flag in Unity texture import settings (simply select the texture in project and find the option in inspector).

Tom

8. BigBite

BigBite

Unity: 5.6.0f3
    Verify Info: RTP3.3g for U5.5 & U5.6 (submitted from Unity 5.5.0p3)

BTW, I looked at the texture in the inspector and didn't see an sRBG flag. Then I noticed it was set to Normal Map, so I changed it to "Default" and got the standard options to show up, including the sRGB flag. I can set the flag there, but then what do I do? Setting it back to "Normal Map" will remove the flag? My computer is currently processing some work so I wont be able to test the texture as "Standard".

9. BigBite

BigBite

My terrain looks normal now, I think I got it working. I set the texture to Standard and checked the sRGB box. I also had to have Terrain Composer do a quick Height regeneration. When the shader recompiles, it explodes the terrain for some reason. I am able to tweak the tessellation settings, so I think I'm good.

10. gecko

gecko

I feel like I had this problem awhile ago and you told me how to fix it, but I sure can't recall, nor can I find it in this long forum thread. I've got a project on 5.5.3 (Mac 10.11.5) and RTP was working fine a few weeks ago, but then maybe we upgraded a point version, and now it's not. I've deleted and reimported it, but the terrain has tiling across it -- brighter in foreground, darker in distance. See screenshot. Can you tell me (or remind me) what's going on? I've got 3.3g.

tiling.jpg

11. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Tom,

what would you suggest to use if I wish to create a game, that could be universal used - for desktops, consoles AND (standard) mobiles? If I'm right, I have to use another alternative instead of RTP if I'm willing to publish on multiple mobiles. Any ideas? Is there any "RTP for mobiles"? ;)

Cheers,
    Tom

12. amynox

amynox

Hello Folks,

I just added RTP to my game and i'm starting facing some wirred issue with lighting.

As you can see in the picture attached, i'm missing the light on the other half of the terrain.

Light issuie.PNG

Light issuie2.PNG

I tryied to play with RTP_LODManager but can't found a solution to my problem.

Attached you can find my RTP settings.

RTP_LOD_SET1.PNG
    RTP_LOD_SET2.PNG

Thank your for your help

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not sure, looks like shader applied at close distance doesn't stay in sync with this used at farther distance. How many layers do you use ? Is it separate scene or you've got different setup on multiple scenes in your project ? Have you recompiled shaders ?

Another trace might be RTP used in deferred with 8 layers in 4+4 mode (firstpass + addpass). For deferred we need to use 8 llayers rendered in first pass (atlasing).

Not yet, but how much time do you plan spend on your game ? If developement cycle is estimated to be year or two all "mid-end" mobiles should get powerfull enough to use RTP (with reduced features). Anyway - RTP is supposed to work on everything that implements GLES3.

I'd say your issue is normals related. You could check it on my example scene placing such point light. It might be either global normalmap (that I see you've enabled in LOD manager) doesn't work or detail normalmaps are not correct. Thish could result in world normals produced by shader points in one direction and this might explain why you see light on one side of your terrain surface.

Tom

14. amynox

amynox

Hi Tom,

Indeed ! it was my detail normalmaps !

Thank you so much for your help ;)

15. Marked

Marked

Hey Tom,

The Customizable Shader 2 Layers seems not work when you use Wetness option.
    You get the follow error when you try to recompile.

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

I am using Unity 5.6.0f3 and the latest version of RTP from Asset Store.

Cheers !

16. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Just purchased RTP and get this error when importing into 5.4.3p1

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs(904,42): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' does not contain a definition for `textureCompression' and no extension method `textureCompression' of type `UnityEditor.TextureImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

17. tomaszek

tomaszek

Seems like AssetStore gave you RTP version that's not suitable for U5.4.3p1. Could you give me verinfo.txt file contents that's placed in ReliefPack folder ? For U5.4 there is RTP3.3e version. For newest update you'd need to download from Unity 5.5.0(p3). I see I submitted 3.3e from U5.4.0f3.

If you still experience problems with downloading working RTP version, let me know via private message please.

That's a bug. Open ConfigurableCore.cginc and this is macros section at the beginning:

Code (csharp):
    2. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    3. // missing defines for LOD/GRAD access
    4. ...
    There are missing macros for sampler texture fetch. We need to add _BIAS macros. Section should look like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    3. // missing defines for LOD/GRAD access
    4. #if UNITY_VERSION >= 560
    5.     #if defined(SHADER_API_D3D11) || defined(SHADER_API_D3D11_9X) || defined(UNITY_COMPILER_HLSLCC) || defined(SHADER_API_PSSL)
    6.         #define UNITY_USING_SPLIT_SAMPLERS
    7.     #endif
    8. #else
    9.     #if defined(SHADER_API_D3D11) || defined(SHADER_API_D3D11_9X) || defined(UNITY_COMPILER_HLSLCC)
    10.         #define UNITY_USING_SPLIT_SAMPLERS
    11.     #endif
    12. #endif
    13. //#if defined(SHADER_API_D3D11) || defined(SHADER_API_XBOXONE) || defined(SHADER_API_GLES3) || defined(SHADER_API_GLCORE) || defined(SHADER_API_PSSL)
    14. #if defined(UNITY_USING_SPLIT_SAMPLERS)
    15.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD)
    16.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD(tex,coord,dx,dy) tex.SampleGrad(sampler##tex,coord,dx,dy)
    17.    #endif
    18.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD_SAMPLER)
    19.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD_SAMPLER(tex,samplertex,coord,dx,dy) tex.SampleGrad(sampler##samplertex,coord,dx,dy)
    20.    #endif
    21.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD)
    22.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD(tex,coord) tex.SampleLevel (sampler##tex,(coord).xy,(coord).w)
    23.    #endif
    24.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD_SAMPLER)
    25.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD_SAMPLER(tex,samplertex,coord) tex.SampleLevel (sampler##samplertex,(coord).xy,(coord).w)
    26.    #endif
    27.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_BIAS)
    28.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_BIAS(tex,coord) tex.SampleBias (sampler##tex,(coord).xy,(coord).w)
    29.    #endif
    30. #else
    31.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD)
    32.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_GRAD(tex,coord,dx,dy) tex2Dgrad(tex,coord,dx,dy)
    33.    #endif
    34.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD)
    35.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD(tex,coord) tex2Dlod(tex,coord)
    36.    #endif
    37.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD_SAMPLER)
    38.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD_SAMPLER(tex,samplertex,coord) tex2Dlod(tex,coord)
    39.    #endif
    40.    #if !defined(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_BIAS)
    41.        #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_BIAS(tex,coord) tex2Dbias(tex,coord)
    42.    #endif
    43. #endif
    Then in lines which generate errors you simply replace tex2Dlod() call with macro UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_BIAS() call.
    Remember that saving cginc file requires reimporting shader in case cginc is placed in different folder (which is the case).
    I will include this fix in next build.

Tom

18. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Ok, fixed it by downloading it again from the version of Unity I was using it in. It appears I had downloaded it from another 5.x version of Unity as I'm running several versions for different reasons. I didn't realize you could get a different version of the asset by downloading it from a different version of Unity. I thought there were only differences between major versions such as 4 & 5. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

The most beloved answer from any user ever - "problem solved" :D

Tom

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  20. BigBite

BigBite

@tomaszek, what's the best way to handle floating trees when you enable tessellation?

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

When we tessellate terrain it doesn't match raw terain heightmap handled by Unity for collisions, tree placement (and Unity rendering). Esp. when we use bicubic terrain smoothing (refer to LOD manager). After making height&normals texture we can stick better Unity terrain height data using get heights button in RTP. Unity heightmap needs to be of sufficient resolution for this to work fine though. In my YT video I also suggest yet another solution - use 2 terrain data objects per terrain - one might be of lower heightmap resolution for drawing and the other of higher resolution to have better matching collider.

Tom

hopeful likes this.
  22. amynox

amynox

Hi Tom,

I'm getting these errors after i upgraded to Unity 5.6.p03 ?! :

[Unity] Shader error in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FirstPass': Program 'frag_surf', error X4510: maximum number of samplers exceeded. ps_3_0 target can have a maximum of 16 samplers (on d3d9)
    [Unity] Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FarOnly': Program 'frag_surf', error X4510: maximum number of samplers exceeded. ps_3_0 target can have a maximum of 16 samplers (on d3d9)

Thank your for your help

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  23. colateroso

colateroso

Hi, i'm trying to use the Tesselation feature but i'm facing some problems with terraced slopes and "spiky bumps" that didn't exist before the tesselation.

I think i didn't miss any steps with the tesselation workflow: generate HeightNormal texture with the built-in tool -> activate tesselation in LODmanager -> recompile -> add generated texture to the "Tesselation height & normal..." -> click reapply height...

My terrain is 10000 x 10000 x 10000 with a heightmap resolution of 4097. The images were taken with pixel error = 1.

Any ideas on how to address this issue?

Edit: I have to reimport the HeightNormal image with the "sRGB (Color texture)" option disable or else my terrain doesn't even show up.

Before tesselation

After tesselation (spiky bumps)

Before tesselation

After tesselation

24. FredrikS

FredrikS

Hate to pile on the errors, but here we are.

When adding RTP to a new terrain (4 textures), it works great. Until I, in the RTP_LODmanager click enable 8 shaders in first pass and recompile the shaders, I get these errors:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.28.02 PM.png

I know what the GLSL link errors are and will turn off some features, but as soon as I enable it, the terrain turns completely black. Disable that feature and it goes back to normal.

Setup: OSX and PC (doesn't work on either). RTP3.3g for U5.5 & U5.6 (submitted from Unity5.5.0p3), Unity 5.6.

Thanks for your patience in answering.

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

Depending on Unity RTP version you use it might be sRGB issue. If you show height&normal texture used for tessellation show advanced settings of texture in importer and uncheck sRGB flag. I guess that's the issue.

The error is exceeded number of texture samplers in shader. In DX11/HLSL/PS4 platforms smaplers are reused for different textures. Unity has macros defined for HLSLCC (not sure which platforms it covers). Anyway on my side in -force-glcore mode on PC I can compile shader with 8 layers and all features turned on (glcore4.5 profile). Can you give me LOD manager setup and gl profile of your OS ?

Tom

26. FredrikS

FredrikS

edit: After unity crashed and deleted my project, I grabbed the repo from collab again, deleted Gaia and RTP and downloaded them again from the asset store. This time it works fine. Something was way screwy.

The RTP_LODmanager is the default one that is added to the scene as soon as you add the script to the terrain. No modifications made (except for ticking the 8 layers in first pass).

I am not 100% sure if this is what you mean when you say GL Core, but here are the player settings (I unchecked the Auto Graphics to take the screenshot).

Please note that I work on both a PC and a Mac, and this is from the PC version.

1.PNG

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  27. tomaszek

tomaszek

With any extended setup you won't be able to make a build working for DX9 (there is no such thing like reused texture samplers on this platform). So - you might consider DX9 vesion with reduced feature set or remove this platform.

Tom

28. Cyfieithydd

Cyfieithydd

Hi! I have a question about snow coverage. Is it possible to set its parameters via script somehow? Or setting snow parameters is editors only?

29. FredrikS

FredrikS

Awesome. Thank you!

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's easy to analyze and find such param in my scripts. I feed global shader variable in ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader.SetGlobalFloat("rtp_snow_strength", _snow_strength);
    So - you can do the same in your script. To keep in sync RTP variables of snow level with your you can also set _snow_strength variable in anyReliefTerrainScriptInstance.globalSettingsHolder._snow_strengh

_snow_strengh
    is variable value kept in globalSettingsHolder object, it's then transfrred as global shader variable by above line of code.

ATB, Tom

Cyfieithydd likes this.
  31. Cyfieithydd

Cyfieithydd

Thanks a lot! I've also used anyReliefTerrainScriptInstance.RefreshTextures(null, false) - after to make sure terrain is updated right after paramater change.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  32. amynox

amynox

Hi Tom,

I think you missed my last post. Actually i'm using Unity cloud build, and i can't build on Windows 64x any more with theses RTP errors.

Thank your for your help

My last message :

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is the same situation FredrikS had above - we can't force Dx9 platform to use split samplers. You might need to reduce features or remove DX9 from build.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-119#post-3054266

Tom

34. colateroso

colateroso

As i said earlier, i already do disable the sRGB flag. If i don't, the Terrain doesn't even show. Any other thoughts?

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hmmm, not really - can you check if bicubic interpolation and texture size (POT vs. NPOT) make any difference ? I might need to look at your heightmap (if you could provide me with terrain asset or raw heightmap please via private message).

Tom

36. overburn404

overburn404

Hey, this looks really impressive and I want to buy it, but I have a precondition - does it integrate with Gaia?

Thanks !

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not sure how well ("out-fo-the box") it itegrates but I'm aware a lot of users already put in pair Gaia with RTP. Adam could also give his point here.

Tom

38. KarelA

KarelA

I can confirm that Gaia + RTP does indeed work together. What worked for me was just adding the RTP script to the terrain once everything was done with Gaia.

tomaszek likes this.
  39. overburn404

overburn404

Hello, having a small issue here. When I assign the RTP script to a finished Gaia terrain, I can't replace the normals on the coverage textures. I just drag the normal map there and it switches the selection to the map. Same thing happens if I try to use the select button on the slot. Any idea what could be happening?

40. Schm00

Schm00

Hello!
    First of all, great work on RTP!

Second, I've gone about trying to replicate the effects shown in the Unite 2016 Keynote when they showcased Project Wight. But to no avail. I've run through the pdf but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

The effect I'm referring to is the positive tessellation effect. When I pull the extrude slider my tessellation only extrudes downwards and don't effect the silhouette in any way.

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Where do you apply normals ? It doesn't work in Unity terrain settings - you need to drag&drop them right in RTP.

Similar effect can be achieved both way - via POM (parallax occlusion mapping) or tessellation with displacement of detail textures. Botha can be selected in LOD manager. Guys from project Witght used tessellation as far as they say on the video. Tessellation produces silhouettes, POM extrudes downward and doesn't produce silhouettes.

Tom

42. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi Tom,

I'm trying to blend my road wit a terrain, but when I turn on edge blending I keep getting weird shadows. I'm using deferred rendering path nad I can't switch to Forward. How to get rid of that issue? I've tried several RTP/UBER shaders, but these shadows keep showing up.

EDIT- ok, so I've found the reason why does this shadow is there- it's the AO from the camera (Unity Postprocessing Stack). Is there any way of fixing this?

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  43. ryschawy

ryschawy

See the answer from Tom to a similar ssao question:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-108#post-2847897

Zaki_X likes this.
  44. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

@ryschawy- thanks. I couldn't find a solution there. I've managed to set a proper shader that works fine with AO effects, but I took it from Tom's UBER shaders- "UBER - Metallic Setup/(RTP's Geom Blend)/Core". I will work with it a bit and check if this is a final solution.

EDIT:- after turning on the "sticking object along normals" option this problem pops up again :-/.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  45. ryschawy

ryschawy

The suggested solution is to remove/disable the performance optimization, that is the extra child object using the hidden shader. Expand your road game object and find the child game object RTP added.

Zaki_X likes this.
  46. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

ryschawy- that way I will lose this optimisation, but if this is the only way to make it work I guess I would have to give it
    a go. Thanks. I came across another problem with geometry blending. I have a road created with Easyroads. I've exported it to Blender and have tweaked it's mesh a bit (added some loops etc.). After reimporting this mesh to Unity I was trying to blend it's edges with my terrain. Some weird artifacts started to appear in crossroads areas:
    2017-05-11_16h29_26.jpg 2017-05-11_16h29_33.jpg
    All vertices have been welded. The mesh is smoothed. After I add "stick to blended object along normals" it moves all vertices toward the terrain, but some of these verts are being moved a bit lower. I have a couple of these crossroads and all have the same issues. After I turn on "Autoblend at edges" option mesh blends not only the edges, but also lowered vertices (see images attached above). My guess is that something happend with this mesh taken from the Easyroads plugin, but I have absolutely no idea what could cause it and how to fix it. I would really appreciate any suggestions what can be wrong here.

Mike

47. overburn404

overburn404

Yeah, in the RTP script. Specular and height maps work without a glitch. But normals don't for some reason. Could it be related to the fact that the terrain has 3 layers only?

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

Definitely - RTP needs either 4 or 8 layers. You won't win anything using 3 (the same performance - this is the same for Unity terrain shader as well). When you drag maps they need to match each other in pair with size because they are combined 0+1, then 2+3. So make sure your normalmaps are of exactly the same size.

Tom

49. ryschawy

ryschawy

From the RTP documentation:
    The distance inner vertices will be put above ground is controlled by Distance value.

Have you tried to use a higher value for Distance?

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

I can't reproduce this issue here (RTP3.3g tested in Unity5.6 although in 5.5 it should work as well).

RTP_Tesstest.JPG

Tested with 4 layers using triplanar on/off bicubic interpolation on/off.

Tom