Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi Tom,
    I'll check RTP with unity 5.5 later.
    For now I'm wondering how can I use RTP with my terrain having more than 8 textures?

2. mirts

mirts

Hi Tom
    I have a problem with the Geometry vs Terrain Blend. The generated underlying object ends up black (or very very dark, hard to tell)
    I can reproduce it i.e. in your example scene Terrain2GeometryScene. The stones there are blended fine with the underlying terrain. I can also play with autoblend distances and the blend works. I then press Rebuild Mesh and use Autoblend again. The blended area is now black (or very dark). This goes for all the blended objects in your example scenes. As soon as I Rebuild Mesh, they are "broken" like this.
    Any idea what the problem could be?
    Regards
    Michel

3. olavrv

olavrv

Support for beta 5.6 would be really nice! Hope you come around to do this!

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you need 8 textures on single terrain tile - it's impossible. However if your world is big and you don't need some kind of textures necessary everywhere (like desert part can have sand while greenlands don't need it) you can split environment into separate terrains with individual setup - place terrain in separate transforms and add RTP component - terrains will behave independent. You can also look at geom blend sticked feature to paint some additional texture here and there.

Tom

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

Will submit this next week I guess.

Tom

olavrv likes this.
  6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Seems like some props of mesh that needs to be preapred by "rebuilding routine" got broken. Can you chcek console. Sometimes Unity refuses to solve raycast and I need it to know underlying terrain props for blending. Also - vertex colors other than A (blending) can mean for example occlusion. This can be defined in geom blend shader code (look at the beginning - area with #define keywords). I'm not sure if rebuilding set tham all to 1 or zero. You need to check or paint different mesh vertex color channels under geom blend to check.

Tom

7. malkere

malkere

So I'm placing the LOD manager in scene that the RTP engine is not yet in. During runtime the terrains are generated, bringing in the RTP engine. I've noticed that UV blending is disabled though. Clicking "enable in LOD manager" throws a null reference exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ReliefTerrainEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:3053)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1236)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I assume this means it has not developed a reference to the LOD manager because of the timing difference of when they are added? Can anyone think of a fix? Manual referencing?

8. netincome2

netincome2

Hi!
    we managed to get it working. It was probably because we had your asset imported in our folders, not in root. After deleting and importing it again it works now.

Thanks again. :)

9. mirts

mirts

The unity console does not output anything when I rebuild the mesh. As for your other suggestion, I'm not quite sure what to look for exactly and in what shader. I'm not well versed in shader code.
    I deleted and reimported RTP. The blend works fine then, also when rebuilding Mesh. But as soon as I recompile Shaders, I have the same problem again. Blend area is black.
    I'm posting my RTP shader settings. maybe that helps.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.15.11.jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.15.06.jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.14.58.jpg

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

@tomaszek
    That's not final code. I merely gave him something to test with for the time being. I haven't had a chance to do much work on this since my PC's GPU had been acting up and died recently. I will try to do more research and get back to you with a more complete solution.

11. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hey tom, im using the map magic system with the relief terrain pack. It uses a single relief terrain component and then applies differences in multiple chunks' control maps by directly modifying each terrain chunk's material directly.

I'm trying to add additional functionality to this but i'm having trouble figuring out how to plug a wetness and colormap directly into the material. (if i use the reliefterrain component then it will change every chunk).

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

For the time of clicking the UV blend feature LOD manager object reference apparently doesn't exist yet in RTP script instance. Not sure why. Also - UV blend is turned on by default, so I don't understand why would you need to enable it (it's probably just because LOD manager ref is not yet present and synced). When you select LOD manager it looks at shaders code and determines which features are enabled. LOD manager sotre it then. When you select RTP instance it looks for LOD manager and querries it for features enabled. Why why RTP inspector dynamically shows up right features to be controlled. I don't know exactly your setup and the order of operations you do. Generally It's best to have LOD in scene (master scene if you additively load others) with compiled and ready set of features. Then adding RTP scruipts runtime to terrains should work.

Definitely - LOD manager will do nothing instead of recompiling shaders with given set of features as it can't find RTP in certain location in project.

Take into account that it's not possible (out of the box) to have separate set of features on separate terrains. They use globalized set of shaders compiled by LOD manager. If you need more control over separate terrains you need to put all of them into separate transforms in hierarchy. Then adding RTP script to terrain will cause brand new ReliefTerrainGlobalSerttingsHolder object is made for each terrain. However for snow level - it's tricky to have it separate (it's globalised anyway). Workaround is to have snowlevel damped per layer on terrain where you don't want snow to appear.

I will recompile shaders with out set of features, rebuild mesh on my example scene and check. Will let you know ASAP.

[EDIT]: I can't reproduce it. On my example scene I recompiled shaders with your set (addpass is not used with 8 layers mode in first pass). Selected terrain and atlases got rebuilt. Stone has black bottom, because they don't have synced terrain atlases, but as soon as I click stone it get synced. I can rebuild it and autoblend again - it works. Maybe it's something to do with your setup or specific RTP version used ? Can you check this on fresh project with newest RTP imported ?

Tom

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. mirts

mirts

I did as you said and added RTP in a fresh project. At first Blend works fine. After Recompile of shaders with no parameters changed it still works fine. I then changed parameter for parameter to match my settings. As soon as I enabled 8 LAYERS in first pass and compiled shaders, the problem with the black blend area was back. Deactivated 8 LAYERS in first pass again and the blending works fine again. So... The 8 LAYERS in first pass is the offender. Strange that you couldn't reproduce it. Maybe the problem is an OpenGL problem?

I'm on Mac OS X with OpenGL 4.1, Unity 5.5.0f3 and the latest RTP from the asset store.

Would it help you if I sent you the generated shaders or something like that?

14. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

I'm not going to be using snow for this, i've decided to use a layer as a snow layer controlled by the splatmap. Still, i dont know what channel in the material controlls the wetness of the terrain, nor the global color. Reading the reliefterrain.cs i cant figure out where the TERRAIN_Wetness actually gets input into the material. Thats what im trying to figure out.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

TERRAIN_Wetness controls wetness global way. When you change it you need to actually move this parameter to material so use Refresh() call on ReliefTerrain instance (reliefTerrain.globalSettingsHolder.RefreshAll()). To partially mask wetness you need to use wetmask (it will be set on one of the special combined texture channels - look at RTP/Combined textures tab).

For me it's also black when I go for 8 layers because it needs atlases for colors, they are not automatically set for all geom blend objects after recompilation. As well as terrain needs to be refreshed (I simply select terrain tile to do it). Geom blend stone needs to be refreshed (selecting it on my PC is enough). If you'd like to make it working globally call reliefTerrain.globalSettingsHolder.RefreshAll() from script or use refresh all button in RTP/Settings/Main inspector. If you still can't get it working contact me via private message on forum with order number and purchase date for verification. We'll establish skype screenshare to interactively detect what's the problem.

Tom

16. mirts

mirts

The RefreshAll Button did the trick. Works perfecly now! What a great feature. Thank you so much for your help Tom.

Regards
    Michel

17. JazZRocK

JazZRocK

Hello Tom,

Do you have any idea of when you are going to release RTP v4 for "unlimited splat" ?
    Thx you for this great shader system and sorry for my bad english.

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm pretty delayed now due to my current game project which is urgent as we need to release some reasonably fast working demo. I'll report here as soon as anything new happens in regards to RTP4.

Tom

Seneral and Knightmore like this.
  19. JazZRocK

JazZRocK

Ok thx Tom :)

20. lezan_

lezan_

Hello,
    I have two issues and I cannot figure out how to solve them.

• The firs one: I am working with 8 textures and all textures have a resolution of 2048x2048. I set Max Size as 2048 on texture imported. When I try to use Relief Script attached to terrain I get a couple of error

Code (csharp):
    2. For performance reasons - all splats (detail textures) should have the same size
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    4. ReliefTerrainEditor:PrepareAtlases(Int32) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:5182)
    5. ReliefTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:272)
    6. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    Code (csharp):
    2. Detail tex 0 size=2048 while detail tex 4 size=1024
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    4. ReliefTerrainEditor:PrepareAtlases(Int32) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:5183)
    5. ReliefTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:272)
    6. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    I do not why but RTP change all the time size of some textures also if they are all set to 2048. If I check Max Size after run Relieft script attached to terrain, Max Size is set to 1024.

• The second one: I am trying to use tessellation but when apply height and normal map I cannot get correct height. I used Relieft Tools to obtain texture map. If you need more details on my configuration, let me know. (screenshot attached with terrain result).

Thanks for your support!

EDIT: after two hours I fix the second one: just uncheck sRGB (Color Texture) on Import Settings of tessellation height and normal map texture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  21. tomaszek

tomaszek

Settings max size to 2048 desn't mean texture is 2k itself. If actual texture size is lower (like 5th layer texture reported seems to be 1024) it will introduce such problem. I remember that I've encountered once bigger problem with Unity when it reported wrong texture size to script (was 2k while Unity gave 1k when requesting texture size). The only way to fix it was to make a copy of the stubborn texture.

For tessellation heightmap sRGB switch - sorry - I'll fix it incoming update.

ATB, Tom

lezan_ likes this.
  22. lezan_

lezan_

I know what Max Size do, but texture are all with 2k of resolution.
    I do not why RTP change Max Size to 1024.
    Anyway, re-importing RTP and with a new copy of all textures, now are working. I think it is the same problem that you reported.

Thanks for your support!

23. gecko

gecko

I've imported RTP 3.3 into a fresh new project, in Unity 5.1.1 on Mac 10.11.5, and in the example scene, the terrain is completely white, with this error:

-------- GLSL link error: WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'vs_TEXCOORD6' not read by fragment shader
    ERROR: Implementation limit of 16 active fragment shader samplers (e.g., maximum number of supported image units) exceeded, fragment shader uses 17 samplers

What should I do?

thx
    Dave

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's texture resource limit exceeded. 2 solutions:
    1. reduce fatures in LOD manager (for example lightmaps) or splitting into 2 passes with atlasing mode (turn off 8 layers mode if you've got 8 layers and use color atlas for firstpass and addpass)
    2. upgrade to newer Unity to be able to grab newer RTP package version as I don't handle newest RTP updates with older Unity versions. In DX11 target platform you won't be constyrained by samplers anymore.

Tom

25. gecko

gecko

I'm actually using 5.5.1, that was a typo.

So I've reduced the features, including checking "No Lightmaps", and now the terrain is still white. (EDITED: I thought I saw a couple textures on the terrain, but in fact they were mesh objects). Same in both the Example/Terrain scenes.

Sometimes (but not always) when I recompile the shaders, I get this error:

Shader error in 'Relief Pack/Terrain2Geometry': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(523) at /UnityDeprecated.cginc(133) (on d3d9)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  26. iddqd

iddqd

Is it possible to make puddles with RTP?

27. Saevax

Saevax

Global Normal Maps are amazing, however because they are a non power of 2 texture they end up taking up much more memory than the Global Color Map or other textures.

Is there a more memory efficient solution/workaround?

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Seems like you don't have newest RTP installed. Look at verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack. It should be explicitly marked as U5.5. To force update. Remove shaders folder from ReliefPack. Remove all unity package cache from your HD (at least RTP). Redownload and install RTP in U5.5. Should work.

RTP has global wetness mask that can be painted (or given as texture).

I was not aware NPOTs are more memory consuming resources ? Are they ? Anyway - if you refer to global height&normalmaps for tessellation you can make them POT. Global normalmaps alone are mostly provided by 3rd party sources (world machine, packages from assetstore) and they are supposed to be POT. The only problem for POTs might be possible discontinuity problems for multiple terrain tiles at their sticking borders.

Tom

iddqd likes this.
  29. gecko

gecko

Yes, that was it! Very strange (and frustrating) -- the Asset Store thought I had the latest version already (and it did appear to be the latest version, Verinfo said 3.3e), but after deleting the package from my Library, I could download a newer version built from 5.5 and it all looks good. I wish the Asset Store was more reliable about that!

30. imtehQ

imtehQ

unity version 5.5.1f1
    RTP3.3e for U5.5 (submitted from Unity5.5.0b6)

No matter the settings always end up with a black terrain,
    refresh all wont help, all textures are same size, all read/write enabled.

Am i missing something?

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

Deferred lighting path and no light dir script attached to main directional light ?
    Check my example scene after RTP import to compare.

Tom

32. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi Tom,
    I still get the black texture issue, no matter 4 layers in 1st pass or 8, the add pass textures are always black.
    Here is my workflow:
    I use MapMagic's editor to create my terrain, and then used it's RTP plugin to assign RTP script to the MapMagic object(not the terrains, but terrains are generated under this object).
    The first 4 layers are empty and already in the RTP editor, so I assign textures to them, they can show up on the generated terrain correctly. Then after I press the Add layer button from RTP script, the 5th layer is added as it should be.
    Then I use the MapMagic node editor to generate splat info for the 5th layer, but when apply, the areas on terrain that should be the 5th layer just shows black tiles like this:
    upload_2017-2-26_11-30-0.png

Here is the RTP plugin for MapMagic, in case you need it to find out what's wrong.
    RTPPlugin.zip

Attached Files:

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm not MapMagic expert (I don't have this bought). I can only advise that using 5 layers in RTP is not advisable. When you need more, add another 3 to have 8. It will use 2 passes and performance will be pretty much the same. As MapMagic takes the part of managing RTP scripts on generated terrain tiles I think it's best to ask MapMagic author for details. RTP is supposed to work correctly with Unity terrains. So - as soon as we have terrains in scene and add ReliefTerrain script to them it's supposed to work. I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe you could try to temporarity remove MapMagic component (for test/comparison only) from scene and try to follow RTP workflow (add ReliefTerrain scrit on Unity terrain objects directly).

Tom

34. Saevax

Saevax

As I understand it NPOT textures can not be compressed in Unity.

Regardless in my file explorer a 2049 Normal Map is 7,737 KB, and a 2048 Color Map is 2,317 KB. Similarly, in Unity, a 2049 Normal Map says 16 MB, and a 2048 Color Map says 4 MB (An uncompressed colormap would also say 16 MB).

My terrains are tiled unfortunately.

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Compression can totally mess up height and normals data (which are specially encoded). So - use NPOT or not, but compress it on your own risk :).

Tom

36. MattLance

MattLance

Hello,

i just started using RTP and i am still at a beginner level in Unity i would say. So far ive created an island with RTP and it looks really nice!

island0.PNG

My problem is that at close camera distance everything is getting very bright which looks horrible. I am not at that knowledge stage that i can say whether this i a RTP or just a Unity thing.

island1.PNG

I hope you can help me to turn this off.

Best regards,
    Matt

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can you check with HDR/Linear lighting ? I guess it might be your PBR texture setup, or - can't tell looking only at your screenshots. Can you check my example scene on fresh project and say if the problem is also present ? What's the Unity version you use ?

Tom

38. MattLance

MattLance

I am using Unity 5.4.2f2. But i don't have the problem in your example scene in a fresh project. Seems like i messed it up somwhere. Luckily this is just a test project so i just go with a new one. Thanks!

39. BigDandBigDandBigD

BigDandBigDandBigD

Hi, is this version compatible with PS4?

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've been reported about texture2Dgrad calls that have different syntax when we reuse samplers (so compiling to PS4 failed). Unfortunately Unity does not define all needed and possible variants in their HLSLSupport.cginc. I added a few missing "by intuition". They work on DX11, but on PS4 - well if you ask Unity how to define them you can make it working on PS4 - no problem. It worked on previous RTP versions where I used coupled texture/sampler calls. In newest RTP releases I fixed it so we don't have any problem with excceded sampler limit. The problem is only I don't have PS4 access so I can't even help to check it. I could ask Unity on your behalf. They are willing to help.

Tom

41. hmroz

hmroz

Hi,

I have another problem with presets. I have 2 presets saved in files (preset1 and preset2) for terrain in RTP example scene.
    The only difference between them is different Height map for the sand layer (and it's saturation to better see that presets change). Preset1 is loaded in editor as default one.
    When I change presets on runtime with code below the results are like this:
    1. Restore preset2 - I see that textures and values changed in Inspector but scene is the same
    2. Restore preset2 again - terrain is updated (saturation value), but height map isn't
    3. Changing presets1 and 2 many times - the same results, all values and other textures works ok but the Height map doesn't refresh (although it is visible in Inspector)
    4. When I click Refresh below Height texture in Inspector it refreshes terrain correctly

It looks as if script.globalSettingsHolder.Refresh() doesn't call something like PrepareHeights(int num).

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R) || Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.T))
    {
    Terrain terrain=(GameObject.Find("Terrain").GetComponent (typeof(Terrain))) as Terrain;
    ReliefTerrain script=terrain.GetComponent(typeof(ReliefTerrain)) as ReliefTerrain;
    if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R))
    script.RestorePreset(preset1);
    else if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.T))
    script.RestorePreset(preset2);
    script.globalSettingsHolder.Refresh();
    }

I use Unity 5.4.4 and RTP3.3e (submitted U5.4.0f3).

42. netincome2

netincome2

Hello again,

we need your advice with baking scene while using RTP. We are only experimenting with baking, we are not very experienced with it but we have few problems.

While using Geometry vs Terrain Blend component we get dark object but reflexions remain: http://clip2net.com/s/3HYcg9N

Another problem is - we use 5 layers of terrain and fith one isn't drawn at all http://clip2net.com/s/3HYckoI and when we check 8 LAYERS in first pass then terrain goes completely black http://clip2net.com/s/3HY6vEu

Do you have any suggestions what to do with these problems? :) Thanks a lot!

We are using Unity 5.5.0 and newest RTP.

Best,
    Jakub

43. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Tom,

Im getting an issue whenever I enable distance value above 0. The close p of texture has lots of black areas. Any idea what could cause this?

Attached Files:

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

PrepareHeightmaps is editor task, not much runtime. So after you restore preset you need to request textures rebuild manually (like using Rfresh button below height texture). You'd need to keep referrences to combined heightmaps to be able to change them runtime (look at Combined textures/heightmaps tab). They are publicly exposed in globalSettingsHolder. After replacing combined texture you can call refresh() to inject them to terrain material.

Use eigther 4 layers or 8. Even if 6-8 not used performance will be actually the same. For baking problem - give me your setup, so I can try to reproduce the issue (;ightmaps mode, rtp settings, Unity version).

What kind of distance you try to increase ? If basemap distance - don't do it - RTP handles it internally.

Tom

45. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Sorry, my bad explanation - the near distance value (distance start) If it is above zero the second image is how the texture looks, at zero it is the first.

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

Ouch. I've got no idea. Can you reproduce it on my example scene ? It must be something related to particular setup probably. What's your RTP version, Unity version and setup ?

Tom

47. Crossway

Crossway

I have performance issue here, I'm using 5*5 terrains and without RTP when I use standard shader I get 170 fps on full HD resolution but after adding RTP it will reduces to 80 fps!!!!! that is a real huge drop that I can't take, is there any way to solve this issue?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  48. GeometriX

GeometriX

Hi Tom, I'm having a problem with Mac support with RTP 3.3. I'm using Unity 5.4.2 (possibly an issue?), and when I test on a Mac, my terrain is pink. A large variety of Windows PCs don't have this problem, only Mac.

I've attached screenshots of my settings for your reference. I'm using eight 2K layers with normals and height. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

Depends on what's your RTP setup (and hardware). 170fps means around 5.9ms per frame. 80fps means 12,5ms per frame. Difference is 6.5ms. This is what RTP introduces. Remember that in most cases Unity terrain have to handle 10% job and features introduced in RTP.

I believe you've got pretty outdated RTP version. I skept platform selection in LOD manager long time ago. Try to update RTP, better Unity, then RTP. Take care of Unity package caching issue (remove package cache from HD before updating RTP). To not loose most settings, try to store them in preset before you remove old RTP and redownload new one.

Tom

50. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks Tom, It seems that textures does not work well with self shadowing. Turned it off and it looks correct.