Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] World Streamer ! Forget about your game memory usage and create big world!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, May 13, 2015.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Didn't test yet but there is no reson to have problem with that.

2. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

Excellent, thank you very much :)

3. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

I will be using Megasplat and I expect to be using worldstreamer's terrain meshing feature. How well does world streamer handle terrains that have been "MagaSplated" ?

Not sure if I have explained this well but I'm trying to get my head around two applications that I am not purchasing till tomorrow :p

4. virror

virror

World Steamer just loads GameObjects, how the GOs look or what they are does not matter much at all : ) So should be no issue.

5. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

I thought that the meshing feature actually creates a new mesh for distance viewing ?

or am I missunderstanding this video:

6. virror

virror

No, im pretty sure you have to make those meshes manually?

7. magique

magique

Any ideas on whether or not Terrafirma will be a problem for World Streamer? I own World Streamer and I will be getting beta of Terrafirma soon so I'm naturally curious about how they might integrate.

8. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

can i save specific scene after player made change like killed enemy on it or something like that ?? or they will reset every time he load scene ?

9. magique

magique

Saving and loading of that sort of data is beyond the scope of an asset like this. You'll have to implement your own save/ load system. There are some on the asset store that you can buy or you can make your own.

xxhaissamxx likes this.
  10. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

thanks for answer can u provide me with asset name or link

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Again why forum didnt send me info about new post here ;/

12. magique

magique

Here is just one example of many.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/768

I have no experience with this asset so I don't know if it will meet your needs. But if you type save system in the Asset Store search tool, you will find many more.

13. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

thanks again

14. Ultramattt

Ultramattt

Hey,

Having some issues using world streamer. We have these "chunks" and we use them to build our world. Problem is the chunks are marked as Static objects and when World streamer brings them in it then moves them to the right position. This obviously causes some lag because moving a Static object is costly. The chunks are already in their correct positions, why does it load them and then move them? Can we get around this?

15. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You use floating point fix system?

16. imDanOush

imDanOush

What WorldSteamer-compatible Grass/Tree manager do you recommend? @NatureManufacture .

17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

uNature probably or dx11 grass. Vegetation studio - not tested but we are close to this dev, its best solution and will work probably.

imDanOush likes this.
  18. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

First, World Streamer it's great!!!! :D

Second, IMPORTANT QUESTION that @NatureManufacture could help: I make an app that use a big terrain with elements inside. Then, when the user click on a certain element, with the standard terrain I disabled everything and I enable the 3D model of the piece so he can explore, mount and explode it. In this way I always got a zero load time for the model and then, clicking "back" the user returned immediately where he left the environment.

Which is the best way to do the same thing with World Streamer?

Basically the things is like:
    2 main blocks in the hierarchy: 1 is environment, 1 is models.
    Start: 1 is enabled, 2 is disabled.
    The user touch something...
    1 is disabled, 2 is enabled.
    The user touch "back"
    1 is enabled, 2 is disabled.

The best way to reproduce it in World Streamer :)

19. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hmmm I dont see any problem here:) Just stream them together in 1 layer (easy way for scripts) or stream them in different layers but you will have to play a bit with your scripts to connect this layers after they appear into scene.

Terrain is in the same parts like models?

20. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

Yes... I mean, here the description:
    1) First Person Controller is in the world... Explore it... See, for example, a car. The car has a button on it. The user press the button
    2) Terrain, car, everything is disabled.
    3) The model of the engine of the car in 3D, with a different camera setup, is enabled, so the user can rotate it.
    4) The user click "Return to world" button and the engine model is disabled, together with it's camera, and the world is enabled again, in the same position where he left (with standard Unity terrain it's easy as you disable everything, including the controller, and when you re-enabled it everything start where you left it)...

How can I do it in World Streamer? I use C#, so I would just need a hint about API to use to enable and disable layers... I can also maybe disable all the layers of World Streamer, if it's possible, and enable the 3d model that I would put inside the Game scene, and then re-enabled layers... It's possible? Also to maintain the same position where you disabled? Best way?

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok so if you turn off streamers they should unload your world. Also if you want to load engine you could use collider streamer for engine. If object will hit and stay in collider it will hold streamed data.

22. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

I believe I tried to switch off streamers but in Editor Play mode nothing was switched off, I will try again however... Otherwise I will try to move the player outside the terrain with teleport function...

Another important question about LIGHTMAPPING: I can't understand very clearly how it works light mapping in this kind of things... If I have a baked scene, how and where I need to bake it? I must create lights and baking in the Work scene? I know that there is the multiple setting option, but If I choose baking I must do it in the Work, wait the baking, and then the streamer will stream the baked scene, right?

23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You could call unload function in streamer :)

Lightmapping - lightmaps are saved in scene file so you could use our tool for it or best way is to load whole world by local area updater (also with game scene where you have main light) and bake. Lightmaps will be saved in scene files and everything will be fine:)

24. Sanginius

Sanginius

Hi there, I'm very tempted to buy this asset, but there's one thing that's not completely clear to me, yet.

Basically I want to generate a huge terrain and I really want to have very dense grass. I basically though of using LAM: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64132

So... I'm using gaia to generate a big terrain let's say 36k x 36k. When do I start placing trees and grass? After I split the terrain, before that? So far I always had massive performance problems automatically generate grass for such an area - basically unity freezed.

What would be the common approach for assets that spawn objects (trees, grass, stones) automatically and world streamer?

I really believe that I have to place the grass after the split, because from what I understood is that the detail map from unity can't handle such big terrains and therefor you never can place very dense grass like in the example of the asset I posted above.

P.S.

When I have to place grass and trees after the terrain was split, is there an easy way to use for example gaia to place it everywhere, or do I need to add the "spawner" to every single terrain chunk, which would mean that I have to spawn objects 36 times (if I would split the 36 x 36 terrain to 1 x 1 chunks)?

25. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Try vegetation studio for grass and trees. It can render 8mln trees without stuck. In my opinion you should split before because if you will not use some data it will not going to exist at terrains which didnt use it. I mean when 1 grass type is only at part of terrain this will.avoid sytuation when you use it at all terrains etc. Anyway try vegetation studio. It should work with streamer if not i have author on skype so we will fix this.

Sanginius likes this.
  26. Sanginius

Sanginius

Thanks for your tip with vegetation studio, I just need to wait for the release :) And later I will look more into world streamer.

27. Noa3

Noa3

hi i have buyd your asset and iam rly happy with the float point fix and high framerate. but i have the problem, if i first load a scene, it cause sometimes a lag. what is the best way to avoid this? thx!

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

For terrain shader you could use my and adam goodrich cts - complete terrain shader. In few daya we will release really fast version of this shaders.

Sanginius likes this.
  29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

This is gc and it depends from number of objects at the scene. If you need onky remove cpu and gpu usage you could comment it. If you want to reduce memory
    A) test it on build
    B) keep low amount of.objects and fix sometimes scripts that allocate memory in gc.
    And much more solutions which are mentioned in manual.

30. Noa3

Noa3

thx for
    thx for the tips, i will try it out. have a nice day!

NatureManufacture likes this.
  31. recon0303

recon0303

they all work.. I use with InfiniTree and InfiniGrass.... I used Unature, which is broke for mobile, heard there is a possible fix for mobile, but PC works...... and the new VS, I have not tested yet and its not released, but I cant see why....Grass and Tree tools should not effect you using World Streamer anyways..... I had little to no set up and I been using World Streamer for a few years...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    NatureManufacture and imDanOush like this.
  32. imDanOush

imDanOush

Please @NatureManufacture and other experienced people answer me.
    Is it good to keep Unity Terrains as terrains or use meshes while using world streamer? I need a clear and honest answer. Thanks!!.

More details about my project's terrain
    • Number of terrains: 651
    • Terrains size: each 500*500
    • Terrains shaders: RTP shader (all passes are used)
    • WorldStreamer Loading range: 2
    • Terrain detail, height and patch res: all less than 256

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I would say you should use lp meshes at far distance and hq -unity terrainsat close. Btw this is top down game or with far view ? Basically chosen way depends from type of your game. Ring streaming will replace lp to hq. Anyway say something about game.

My repond time is longer now- home is under water and i have to move everyhing and family into safe place.

34. recon0303

recon0303

This is what I do. For mobile and PC, SOME use meshes for mobile .. for everything.. I do not, and have no issues... in my opinion I agree with Nature here, and that is what we do as well. works well. Ring Streaming is nice.

imDanOush and NatureManufacture like this.
  35. recon0303

recon0303

You have 651 tiles? what made you pick that amount? and how big is your entire terrain in km.

36. imDanOush

imDanOush

It has far view. It's like NFS.
    Good luck!
    Well I've been making the game as a real city sim, the city is real (everything is realistic). It is ~119 km².

Well okay I keep using unity terrain then.

NatureManufacture and recon0303 like this.
  37. recon0303

recon0303

make sense. good luck. Look forward to seeing it:)

NatureManufacture and imDanOush like this.
  38. keifyb

keifyb

hi
    i tried to import this asset in to my project using 5.6.2f1 and have these errors

Assets/WorldStreamer/Scritps/ColliderStreamer/ColliderStreamer.cs(96,18): error CS0117: `SceneManager' does not contain a definition for `LoadSceneAsync'

Assets/WorldStreamer/Scritps/Streamer.cs(336,20): error CS0117: `SceneManager' does not contain a definition for `LoadSceneAsync'

Assets/WorldStreamer/Scritps/Streamer.cs(651,18): error CS0117: `SceneManager' does not contain a definition for `UnloadScene'

Assets/WorldStreamer/Scritps/Streamer.cs(706,19): error CS0117: `SceneManager' does not contain a definition for `UnloadScene'

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi
    download asset again from asset store without removing actual files.

40. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

41. amynox

amynox

Hi,

I'm facing a wirred bug: When i update my game world using local area updater, some times i loose my changes.

Here is how i use Local Area Updater:
    1 / Load scenes around center point
    2/ Unsplit Scenes (to let me update freely)
    3/ Split scenes (to update exisint one a specialy generate new scenes with newly added objects)
    4/ Save loaded Scenes
    5/ Unload loaded scenes
    ps: im using Unity 2017.1.0p2

after few investigation i found that the newly created scenes with local area updater exist in the file system but somehow the streamer prefab dosnt add the newly created scene in the array ?!.

Is it a known bug or am i doing something wrong ?

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Did you add this new scenes to the build settings?

43. amynox

amynox

Yes of course !
    "The bug" is as I mentioned, is the scenes collection prefab doesn't update his list of the attached scenes! And this happened in a random way ...Maybe is something related to unity 2017 (I used to play with world streamer in 5.6 and never get this issue)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hmmm we have to try to replicate this. Give us a while.

amynox likes this.
  45. cyeninas

cyeninas

Hey, sorry if this was mentioned before but would this asset work with a multiplayer setup that has the client act as the host rather than a separate dedicated server?

I'm not trying to have a huge world, mainly wanted to use this for the ability to stream interiors in to make populated towns, and the game is planned to support multiplayer for coop.

46. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hmmmm if players will be close together so they will have 1 map loaded together , why not. Navmesh and ai is not a problem, could be baked and non streamed.

Streaming is client side so you will be able to do such thing. You will have to think about what should be streamed. Maybe for example colliders should be separated and non streamed to hold world and phisics shape for both players etc. Ofc its good habbit to replace colliders by boxes or simple shapes if you use them shooting or car game.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    cyeninas likes this.
  47. Shrubokrant

Shrubokrant

Hi!

I just bought the plugin, and I just wanted to let you know that you have few warning in the Unity 2017 version about some deprecated usages. They are easy to fix, but I thought I'd just let you know :)

48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We will play with unity 2017 more during upcomming week.:)

49. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Hi, I am in the process of setting up my game for World Streamer, but I am not sure how I should handle my inventory items. These are items that the player can pick up and carry around, like weapons and food. Do I leave these in my game scene or my world scene? The player can pick these items up and move them from scene to scene, so not sure how World Streamer handles this.

50. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We start working on world streamer 2.0 please put info what you would like to see in new version:)
    Yes leave this in your scene. if they use phiscis please use phiscis manager for them, when world will be removed they will not change their position.

helgarddebarros likes this.