Search Unity

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah I figured. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anyone just waiting for that =)

Also, if you guys want to follow all my minor updates to the engine, you can use this link:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/start?do=recent&id=start&show_changes=both

I believe jaelove was already aware of it, but its quite handy. You can keep track of everything I'm doing as I use the live docs itself to keep track of every little update I make.

I added a new section inside the upcoming features page called "Implemented features to be released on next update" (ugly name ><) which I'll take note of anything new I add to the engine that will be released on the next update.

Soon as its released, I'll have a "change log" page there as well.

Also I believe I can have an RSS plugin to this wiki I'm using. I'll see if I get that up there when I have the chance.

2. Mistermind

Mistermind

Small delay on that demo I promised. I'm trying to make it as good as possible so you guys can play a bunch with it =D

Give me another day and the gameplay demo should be out.

3. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

Hey bro no rush on getting the demo! that way once released you have less errors and better feedback! "Just my opinion"

Peace!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. Mistermind

Mistermind

5. jaelove

jaelove

good that you have a demo for people to experiment with I also like how fast you're implementing requested features but the implementation of A.I even for a demo may go a long way even for the potential casual consumer

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oh yeah =)
    My addition of the AI to the list simply refereed to as "AI" is a big understatement though.
    When it comes to work on it, chances are it will bloom into several sub sections and probably make an entire new editor window just devoted to it.
    This comes from a guy that worked on an AI of a card game. Good AI is not an easy feat and it will probably suffer several revisions through out its development process. But hey, I took bigger challenges before, I can take this one =D

I'll keep you guys updated as more stuff is added every day!

7. jaelove

jaelove

I imagine it's a huge undertaking but decent A.I may be sufficient it may not have to be all that great because we can expand and edit the source code

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

AI moved to the top ;)

Will begin working on that starting early January.

9. jaelove

jaelove

Cool I spent these last 2 weeks converting all of my stages to Unity about 20 in total hopefully by the first I will begin character implementation :)

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Bookmarked!

12. jaelove

jaelove

I have a question how would you go about making front and backflips? there is no option for those moves in the basic animations tab. Would you have to create the move using the new stance option then trigger the move from the jumping animation position?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Now those are very interesting features!
    But you can probably imagine I never had a chance to make something like that due to the lack of animations. That's probably where that idea of allowing me to use your assets will come in handy.

When the time is right, provide me with the assets and I'll have that feature in!

14. jaelove

jaelove

I am ready when you are i know today is New Years eve but if you want I can send you some animations

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah we gotta have to wait a little hehe. Give me a couple days and pm me with your skype id. I'll add you as soon as I can.

16. jaelove

jaelove

Ok cool I will probably add some other situational animations as well ;)

17. ZOAGS

ZOAGS

I normally don't post on these forums but I signed up just for this. What I saw is honestly amazing and I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. I don't want to sound like a kiss-ass but it's truly great that there are still people out there like you, who put so much effort and dedication into something like this for such a (relatively) low price and for something that "niche"! I truly look forward to seeing all the crazy stuff people will come up with, thanks to this tool.

But enough with the kind words, I'm sure you're tired of that. While I'm sure I'll give this a try in the near future when I have the money and time on my hands, I have a few questions beforehand...

I plan on creating a fighting game, just a rough prototype to show off my ideas to interested people. The game I have in mind is not a real "fighting game", more in line with a series like Super Smash Bros. in that it features more than two players, characters that can move around the battlefield freely and attacks that knock people a certain distance depending on the attack. I am well aware of the fact that I would have to change a lot in your tool (like dropping the lock-on-mechanic on opponents and reworking the shield mechanic) and that I'll most definitively need the source version for it. Do you think it would make sense to use your tool for something like this? Or do you think I'd be better off with something made from scratch to suit my needs? I'll try your tool anyway, regardless of your answer. =)

Quick side question, unrelated to the above question: Is it possible in your tool to have a character rotate depending on where they are? Not "mirror" them but rather flip them around. For example: If a character's back faces the background when he's on the left side of his opponent, his back should face the player if he's on the right side of his opponent, similar to how it works in the Super Smash Bros. Series. Is there an option for that?

Happy new year to you all!

18. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey mate, can't play the demo becaue I have a small mac keyabord and a mac laptop ... no insert/pageup/etc ... which means I can't start the game for player 2. Any chance you could add some way of starting it (e.g. a timeout).

- John A

19. ZeoWorks

ZeoWorks

Please tell me this will have a block system? Keep up the good work! :)

20. Mistermind

Mistermind

HAPPY 2014 FOLKS!

Hey there!
    Thank you for those kind words! Trust me, I will NEVER get tired of that haha. It fills me with joy and energy to keep on working on this. As long as I can pay my bills, I'll be working on this engine for a very long time!

I actually received the "Smash Bros." request a few times now and its starting to spark some ideas for sure. I will say however, the way UFE is built currently, it would be a bit complicated to convert it into that game type (quite honest with you, I had a hard time finding a way to name the genre Smash Bros is in. I gonna call it "Party Brawl"). However, I am rather interested in tapping the subject and even creating a sub-genre of UFE, same as I'm planning with the 3D arena type.
    In fact, giving the fact that EF-12 already supports 3D arena, I could switch my priorities and when the time comes, work on a Party Brawl type instead (If anyone is oppose or in favor of this, please let me hear your voice!).
    You -could- however still get some scripts out of UFE to speed up your own development process of such game if you choose to do it yourself. Everything is very well commented and self explained through easy to read methods.

Absolutely. In fact the system still uses a relatively primitive "mirror" system. To change that you can probably just comment a few lines out in the code (given you have the Source version) and the character will no longer "mirror" but instead just rotate (currently it does both). I'm not sure how that can effect the game balance though, as hitboxes might have their behavior affected in unexpected ways.

Yeah I heard that a few times. Sorry guys I honestly had no idea Mac didn't have those keys haha. Tell you what: I'll add some alternative keys to the engine here for both players. Any suggestions on what these keys could be? I was thinking about the numeric keypad (4,5,6,7,8,9) for player 2.

It already has =) The demo already have one (just hold back when the opponent attacks to block), and the engine supports 3 different block types: hold back, hold button (any button you choose) and auto-block. It also supports parry. To parry, tap forward the moment the opponent attacks.

21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Dude! Awesome Work!! I just played the Demo, really impressed! it's definitely a one of a kind Unity Game Kit! Congrats!

22. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)
    I also believe I'm breaking some sort of record on time being reviewed by the asset store itself haha. Well we gotta consider the holidays, but I believe we are hitting week number 3 now ever since I sent UFE to them lol

23. jaelove

jaelove

Hey MMind how long do you think it'll take until the release of update 1.02? I ask because I am ready to implement my fighters in the engine and I want to make sure that I am using the latest version of the engine. I don't know if implementing updates after the characters are edited and their properties are assigned if there will be complications with backwards compatibility

24. Mistermind

Mistermind

I still wanna run some tests before releasing it. You won't have to worry much about backwards compatibility as most of the tweaks were relatively small. Just to make sure however, I'll also list what files where updated and where.

I'm still out of town however, but I should be back later today =)

25. marcipw

marcipw

Amazing progress on this so far MMind.
    I am so glad I purchased when I did.

The holidays flew by and I was so busy with my lovely family that I didn't explore UFE anywhere near as much as I wanted too.
    Hopefully I will have something to show in the next few weeks.

26. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind.

I downloaded your demo and I have to say, it's a great fighting engine. It's great that the controls are easy to execute when equipping the controls to a PS3 controller, which gets a familiar feel to it. I read that in a previous post that you can customize the demo as well as the full game. And for that, I have a few questions:

1.) How do I go about customizing the components of the game, such as the characters, the character select GUI, and the in game GUI, like the health bars?

2.) Is there a way to change the movesets to other familiar fighters, such as Akuma and Sagat?

3.) What would it take to add your own character in the demo/game? Can models be imported from Blender and 3D Studio Max?

and

4.) When will the time come for you to teach people on how to make a fighting game? Will you use YouTube?

Other than that, I am intrigued by the fact that you developed a fighting game engine compatible with Unity and I commend you on your work. Please continue to keep working on it.

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you! All I really want is to see what people can do with this engine! Right now I'm helping jaelove with his character and as we speak I'm adding even more animation options thanks to the assets he provided. You guys will be very pleased to see whats coming on version 1.0.2!

Thank you so much. And get ready cause as long as I can survive with the sales, I'll dedicate every waken minute improving upon it =)

You can take a quick peak on how the tools work in general here: http://www.ufe3d.com
    Not only its a live doc, its also a feature list, showing off how each tool works, and sometimes even giving quick tutorials on how some fighting game mechanics works in general.
    Take a look at this page too: http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/character:hitbox
    Here I explain how you go about adding the hitbox component to your character and setting it up using the visual tools available with UFE.

Other than that, most GUI elements can also be edited using the visual tools, and every version of UFE has the entire set of GUI scripts open source and fully commented. Along with the docs, customizing your GUI should be rather easy.

You mean create new moves? Absolutely. The only reason I have those moves in motion is because up to that moment, that was the only character and move set I had =)

You can export your models as FBX and Unity reads them perfectly. I believe Unity can also read .max and blender files directly, but I prefer working with FBX. Once its there you can easily follow the tutorial linked on answer number 1 to create your character. Barely any Unity knowledge is necessary here.

Definitely. jaelove just provided me with an amazing looking character and I told him I'll be making my first tutorial using him!

What I'm really thrilled to see is what you guys can really do with UFE! While working with jaelove assets I realized just how different his gameplay is going to be from the demo provided, showing off just how much can be done using UFE.

I'm very curious to see what else can be done by these very talented people purchasing the engine!

28. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Awesome. Thanks for replying to my questions/comments.

29. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Nice work, . We really appreciate at your hard work. If I hear someone else thinking about making a fighting game, I'm surely pointing them to your product.

Button Configuration, Tag, and Assist. please please please!

PS: I almost forgot in games like marvel vs capcom you can perform a normal of super while dashing. A Possible State boolen of "Dash" would be very useful. Especially in combo heavy games. The ability of a ""Possible State" of for Dash gives the engine the ability of airdashing and cancelling into normals. Just a thought.

Edit: Not sure its a bug, but if you do a jump normal while landing, and if the animation for air normal attack is still true, once you hit the ground it goes straight into the standing normal attack. Just a heads up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  30. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind,

I tried to find some other places to download your program other than Sellfy, but apparently, there are no other places to get it. I tried searching for it on the Unity Asset Store, but it wasn't there either. Is there a way to get the full game download through Unity or another store?

31. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)
    Button configuration can be done in the downloadable version of UFE. I've added a download link of UFE here. This version allows you to configure the buttons and change the graphical options. Should come in handy for those wanting to play the demo a little more in-depth.
    As for Tag and Assist, they are in my todo list =)
    Here is a link to the upcoming features:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures

That can be edited in the tool itself by adding move cancels to the dash =) Sorry the demo doesn't show some of these features, as there are A LOT of them hehe.

I tried what you said several times but could not replicate it. Is anyone else having that problem?

I've sent the package to Unity on December 17th, but it seems they are not very reliable when it comes to reviewing and approve a package. Some claim the review team might be on vacation, but we will never know lol.

In the meantime I've only placed sellfy as an alternative. If you know any other place I could provide the download let me know and I'll add it there.

Unity Asset Store is definitely the place to buy when it comes to Unity assets, but since they decided to have every little aspect of updates being controlled and reviewed by team members, we are completely dependent on their response even when it comes to add a screenshot.

32. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

If I buy through Sellfy, how will I get updates? Will they be through the Unity store after the asset is approved? I'm ready to make that purchase!

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

I can reset the download attempts for everyone that purchased everytime I update the engine, so all you gotta do is download it again. I believe there are also tools inside sellfy itself that allows me to send a message to everyone that purchased it with updates.

As for updates on the Unity Asset Store, that will most likely evolve into another headache. I was talking to some other developers and they were also very annoyed by this. Even something as simple as changing the description has to go through a review that can go anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks (and counting).
    Trust me guys, I really don't mind the 30% cut from Unity on my package and I was even encouraging people to purchase from there instead, but given every little update in your package has to go through god knows how long to be reviewed, it seems like its more reliable to have a direct purchase from sellfy than it is from the Asset Store. Sellfy its not really a store, but a tool. The sale goes directly to my paypal account and u will get the same support as you would from the Asset Store.

34. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Just making sure, bro :). But to be more clear about it, will it allow the player to dash and while in the dash animation the player can cancel into punch animation while the dash velocity finishes? That's why I was asking if there is a dash "possible state", because I only read the only possible states where "stand,jumps, and crouch, with far and close coming soon. On your site it says chain moves(required moves/move links), but not on cancel, maybe its not listed on your site. hehe. :)

nvm I was on ground. lol , I was going by my standards. lol my apologize

35. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Okay, nice.

EDIT: Bought. :)

36. Mistermind

Mistermind

I should have used better wording for the possible states. standing really means "grounded", as you can do that move while grounded. If the dash animation has the character sliding through the ground and you allow the animation to be canceled at the right frames, you will retain that momentum while being able to execute the attacks listed. I'm thinking about adding some options to have the character be able to do some ground attacks while slightly off the ground as well so some ground moves can be canceled while the character is in the "hop" state, but for now the engine should do a good job.

I tried several times but just couldn't trigger that haha. What I did trigger and this bothers me a little bit on UFE is that if you press an air attack too close to the ground it gets canceled before it hits. That is a bit annoying when I'm trying to come up with combos =D Anyways thanks for the heads up. I'll keep trying here and see if I trigger that.

Awesome! If you need any help let us know. I'm here if you need me!

37. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Well, is it possible to transfer the file to another laptop just in case one were to upgrade to another computer?

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yup. You have multiple download attempts available on Sellfy. If for some reason you need more after that, just contact me.

39. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Is the full game compatible with Windows 7?

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

Absolutely. Well that's what I've been using at least =D

41. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Okay. Thank you for responding, MMind.

42. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey Mmind. It would be cool to have a couple of empty slots for swappable damage textures. Within each slot, a percentage could be set on when the textures could be switched out. So, for example, if you have an alternate bruise texture set to 30%, the character will use this texture when the hit or damage percentage inflicted is 30%.

43. Blackghost

Blackghost

Or even better, it would be nice to have an option under each move tab to assign swappable textures based on what move and or frame we choose. We could have the option to make this percentage based and or move based. To expand upon this even more, implementing this texture swapping option for blocks, specials, freezes, etc, could allow us to apply custom materials and textures. Also a timer option to allow for swapping textures back.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  44. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

MMind: I gotcha. Buying this beauty soon as possible. :) Thanks for replay to me and everyone with their questions. Your the best help ever.

Basically material changes for a subzero like freeze, and in EX moves. :) sounds sexy and needed! lol I was thinking the same thing.

45. Blackghost

Blackghost

Exactly.

46. jase_mvc2

jase_mvc2

Hi, MMind. PM Sent. Thanks.

47. Mistermind

Mistermind

That is a great idea. Will see what I can do. I didn't do much on that department yet cause I was trying to save time during pre-release, but now it seems I have a bright road ahead.

at first I was thinking more on the line of changing the color of the shades or even changing the shades completely, but the results are a little odd. Sometimes some meshes simply disappear. We can try texture swap. Seems like an easier idea for sure.

Replied ;) (read both replies)

Oh guys btw, I haven't released version 1.0.2 yet because I'm still working on some pretty awesome stuff. As I said before, jaelove provided me with a character just the way I needed. I got so hyped I started developing several new animation options, including different jump animation angles, 6 possible "get hit" animation clips for each get hit pose (get hit high, get hit low, get hit crouching, etc..) basically allowing you to have a hit reaction for each hit type.
    I also added a corskcrew reaction. You can now set the engine so if the horizontal force applied on hit is high enough, the opponent will go into a "corkscrew animation" instead of the standard "Get Hit Air".

There are also 3 different knockdown animation slots you can use (knockdown, hard knockdown and sweep), crumple and 5 different stand up variations (default, knockdown, hard knockdown, sweep, crumple)

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Here is a little screenshot of whats coming =)

$ufe102.jpg

49. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Quick question, MMind. My friend has tried to download U.F.E. from Sellfy and with multiple attempts, he has seen an error message stating the purchase couldn't be processed. Is there another way he can obtain the game engine through another site like Amazon.com or another downloading site? Is there a certain browser he has to use to download it?

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

Does he has his purchase receipt number? If so, PM me with the details of the purchase to see what is wrong.