Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[REBRANDED] Unity Asset Tracker (Formerly Unity Package Asset Index) - Editor Utility

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RKeown3D, Jan 14, 2016.

1. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Have you ever wanted to search through all of the unity packages that you have, without having to import them into Unity, to figure out what's in them. Have you ever imported assets from multiple packages, and after a while, forgot where they came from? I just released my first asset on the Asset Store, that allows you to index and search all of the content (With the exception of standard assets), of all of your unity packages, including preview images of assets and packages (if available), and then be able to directly import them from the search window.

If this interests you, then check out my first asset, called the unity Package asset Index, or UPAI for short.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/50150

Currently in alpha, for $10.00. When I hit Beta, I plan on raising the price to $15.00, and full release around $20-$25.

Also, the documentation for it is on my web site at http://www.rk-softwaredev.net

I'm currently releasing for Windows Editors at the moment, but am working on getting my build environments set up for OSX and Linux, eventually. Hopefully this will be just after the Beta starts in 1-2 months, and ready to be available for final release.

If anyone is interested in testing out my software for OSX and/or Linux, i will be more than happy in working with you to get you the packages for testing, free of charge.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I am working on a demo video, this afternoon, and will hopefully have it poseted to youtube, along with a link, to better show what it's current capabilities are.

3. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I've submitted a newer version iof this asset, that includes better wording for how the asset actually works in the Unity editor. I'm hoping the latest version will go live within the next couple of days on the asset store.

4. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

v0.0.4.7 has been released, and is available now, on the asset store.

5. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

v0.0.4.8 is almost wrapped up, which will now include the first version of the Individual Asset Import function. I've also improved the UI for Asset and Package searching, to make it more consistent across the editor windows. I'm hoping to get this submitted to the asset store for review, by tomorrow, so it may be approved within a few days after that, hopefully.

6. montyfi

montyfi

Am I correct that your asset allowed to search for, e.g. boat in all my assets, then choose to import it into project without opening/importing rest of the asset?
    What about attached to that object scripts? Will they be imported automatically too?
    What about prefabs? Will it import textures/mesh/scripts for all objects in that prefab?

7. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

2 part answer. the Search functionality is fully functional, that this editor asset will in fact allow you to search through all unitypackages stored within the asset store folder, even if you've used and other utility to move it, or the file ystem to link it to another folder/drive on your computer.

The individual asset import is still in development, and one of the obstacles is asset dependency. I don't know if you've ever tried to export a package from unity, but during export, it allows you to include dependencies, but that's doesn't exist on import. I'll have a working release version for importing a selected asset (model, animation, audio-clip, etc), but right now it's only the selected asset, itself. This is similar to importing a package into unity, now, and just selecting one of the assets during the import, so no functionality is really lost.

I haven't had a chance to work on a demo video, yet, but hopefully will have this posted on youtube, within the next few days.

iamsam and montyfi like this.
  8. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

montyfi, I wanted to let you know that I'm getting ready to publish and updated version of the UPAI to the asset store in the next few days. I'm also working on the Asset Dependency detection, prior to import, and hope to have this in before the next 2 releases.

Jump in ealry, while the price is low, as when we hit BETA in the next couple of months, the price will go up to 15.00, and once we hit Full release, then it jumps to 25.00.

Also, This is the only version I'm selling, so I won't be deprecating it, and forcing customers to buy and updated version.

Once you've bought it, you will get all updates and upgrades!!!!

Spread the word!!!!!

montyfi likes this.
  9. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I just submitted v0.0.4.8 to that asset store for approval!!! This version includes and updated UI, the first version of the Individual Asset Import (Dependencies are not currently included, as this is still being developed), bette progress bar and dialog box control.

10. montyfi

montyfi

Bought it already! And thank you for listening :)

11. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Also, v0.0.4.8 is now live, and the really great news is tha the next version, 0.0.4.9 will include Dependency Detection. Also, Glad you got it when you did, as when Dependency Detection goes live, I'm also increasing the price.

Let me know if you run into any issues, and please feel free to contact me with any ideas you have.

montyfi likes this.
  12. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

v0.0.4.8 is now live on the Asset Store, and the next version will include Dependency Detection and Import. Also, the price will also increase by $5-10 USD, so purchase now before the price increase!!!

13. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I want to thank all that participated in the Alpha. the first version of the Beta will go live in the next few days, all with an new and improved UI, faster package searching, as well as enhanced asset dependency detection and import. One the Beta goes live, the price is going to increase to $20.00, so hurry up and purchase now, to get in at the Alpha level price.

Once you've purchased the asset, whether it be Alpha, Beta or Full release, you will receive all updates and upgrades at no extra cost!!!!

v0.9.9.0 will be submitted to the asset within the next 24 hours, and once it is approved, the new price takes affect.

Check out the documentation at http://www.rk-softwaredev.net

Also, I've been promising a youtube video for demo, and now that we're into the Beta, I will start work on this, this week, and get it posted ASAP.

14. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I am happy to report that v0.9.9.0 has been officially submitted to the Asset Store for approval. The new price is set for $20.00, with the Final Full release scheduled to go at $40.00. Get in early, get in cheap!!!

Hurry up, as you can still get in at the Alpha level price of just $10.00.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/50150

The Beta offers a massive UI update, faster package and asset scanning, and now Asset Dependency detection and import is now in full swing!!!!!

View the massive system update and documentation here: http://www.rk-softwaredev.net/docs/upai

15. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

The first version of the Beta went live this afternoon, on the Asset Store.

16. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Since the first version of the BETA is now live on the Asset Store, I have just finsihed the final road map to v1.0.0.0. The final price is set for $40.00, and the road-map can be found here: http://www.rk-softwaredev.net/docs/upai/roadmap

17. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I am giving away 3 free copies of the UPAI, over the next few days.

For today, 1 of the next 25 posters to this forum will win a free copy of the Unity Package Asset Index.

It's a great utility for keeping track of the Actual assets inside of your downloaded package files....

Today's winner will be selected at random!!!!

18. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

UPAI looks like it could be useful to me.

19. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Good Luck!!! As soon as 25 users post in this forum, I'll select the lucky winner!!!!, meanwhile, check out the documentation, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at robert.keown@rk-softwaredev.net

20. John-Lisenby

John-Lisenby

Nice tool, and I hope I win!

Thanks,
    John

21. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

The good news is that there are 3 chances to win, so if you don't win today, you may win tomorrow...

I've got 3 voucher codes reserved for this.

Stay tuned!!!!

22. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

So the users that have posted, don't have to wait to see who won, I will cutoff the current contest in the next 2 hours and 45 minutes.

This will be at 7:00 PM, Eastern Time in the US

23. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

One hour left until I select the first winner...

24. movra

movra

If UPAI can display a list of downloaded assets without needing to access the Unity server every time, which can take a long time, that would be great.

25. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

As long as the Package Files reside in the current AssetStore-5x folder on your PC, it will scan and Index all included assets.

I haven't tested with Unity Asset Server. what version are you currently using?

26. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

The contest for today will be closing in 45 minutes!!!

27. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

This looks like something I could use and appears I'm coming in under the wire as its around 6:30 EST

28. movra

movra

I'm not using the Asset Server.

I'm just a bit fed up with the Asset Store panel within the Unity editor. Takes about 10 seconds to display the Downloads page, every time when changing the filter. It's not caching. So it looks like your asset may be useful since it stores the asset information in a database.

29. John-G

John-G

Might as well get in before the deadline ;)

30. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

The contest is now closed, and I am selecting the winner, shortly.

31. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Today's winner is Movra!!! I have sent you the voucher code via a new conversation thread.

Those of you that didn't win today, I will run another contest tomorrow, and another on Sunday as well, for the remaining 2 copies!!!

movra likes this.
  32. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Thanks to all that took the time today to look into the Unity Package Asset Index. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions that you may have.

The road map will be modified this weekend, with the new ETA Dates for the next few Beta version releases, and as always promised, when you purchase the UPAI, regardless of Alpha, Beta or Full Release, you will receive all updates for the life of the product!!!! This includes even if the version goes to v2, v3 etc....

33. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Also, everyone that entered today's contest, is automatically entered for tomorrow's as well.

John-G likes this.
  34. John-G

John-G

Does this allow to scan all dependency of components used in hierarchy for game, so any parts of asset packages not required for a games build can be removed?

35. movra

movra

Awesome, thanks a lot! I fell asleep before I could see who won yesterday. This is a nice surprise waking up to.

Good luck to the other participants.

36. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Its dependency checking is on the individual asset, itself, and not currently on the hierarchy.

What this means is that if you only want a certain prefab component from a unity package file, it will scan the prefab for any additional depencies, such as models, materials, scripts, etc, and import them into the project first, and then the selected prefab, in order to maintain dependency relationships

By doing so, you are only importing what you really need for building.

I do plan on having some project management functionality, but it sounds like your looking for something like the Build Teport Tool, which is another asset on the asset store, from another developer. I would definitely check that out.

John-G likes this.
  37. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I decided to pull another name from a hat, from yesterdays contest entries, and today's winner of the free copy of the UPAI is John G.

I am sending you your voucher now via a private conversation.

38. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I am now starting the contest for tomorrow's final copy giveaway of the UPAI.

I will select one random person's Screen Name from a hat, from all of the posters following this reply. If you posted yesterday, please re-post, to be considered for the final voucher key. The winner will receive the voucher via a private conversation thread, and we've already had 2 lucky winners.

Please only post once, to have your name added to the hat.

I will select the winner at 4:00 PM Eastern Time, on Sunday evening.

Good luck!!!

John-Lisenby likes this.
  39. radimoto

radimoto

This looks super useful, really looking forward to it being available on Mac.
    Count me in for the competition!

40. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

I have too many assets and need someway to organize them :)

41. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I will be closing the contest in 30 minutes.

Shortly there after, i will announce the final winner in the UPAI giveaway!!!

Good luck!!!

42. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Sorry for the delay, but i got caught up in updating the UPAI back-end for supporting the next release.

The winner of the final copy of the UPAI is nosyrbllewe!!!

I am sending you your voucher code in a private conversation!!!

Thanks to all who participated!!!

If you didn't win a copy of the UPAI, but it still could be of use to you, it's not too late to get in at the Beta price of $20.00. Once the Beta is wrapped up, the full launch price will be $40.00, which will occur in a few weeks, so get in while the price is low!!!

Remember, the earlier you purchase, the cheaper the investment!!!

43. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

v0.9.9.5 is now being wrapped up, and is in the final stages of dev/testing. Here are the enhancements/updates coming in this version:

• New UPAI Update System - Patches, Index Updates, etc...
    • Index Restore Process
    • Favorite/Recent Package Tracking
    • Favorite/Recent Asset Tracking
    • User Notes/Tagging for Packaging (Not currently integrated with Unity's Package Tagging System, due to access limitations, but this is still being worked on...)
    • User Notes/Tagging for Assets
    • Improved SpeedTree Dependency Detection
    • Improved Model Format Dependency Detection (All Default Unity Supported File Formats)
    • Additional User Folder Support
    • Old/Duplicate Package Archiving
    My goal is to have this version submitted to the Asset Store, for approval, by May 25th, 2016.

Any current user's can request pre-release packages, by contacting me directly at robert.keown@rk-softwaredev.net, providing that you have a valid Unity asset Store PO Number.

We're about one month away from v1.0 going live, and when that happens, the final price has been set to 40.00 USD.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  44. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

So you plan to go back in time so that we can already have it right now? I knew UPAI was great but I didn't know you were that amazing.;) Joking aside, it looks like a nice update and I look forward to it.

45. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

Thanks, I need to update that, whoops.

46. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

So, on top of the listing of new features sent out, last email, i have also added in the following additional enhancements:

• Index Backups will now include the UPAI-5.x\Index\Stats folder and files
    • Index Backups will now include a file manifest at the root, for Backup File Verification
    • I have added in PackageVersionHistory to the UPAIPackageInfo document
      • This will include details regarding the following changes
        • AssetGuidChangeCount
        • SourceFileName
        • SoureFileDate
        • SourceFileSize
        • CategoryId
        • PublisherId
        • NewAssetCount
        • UpdatedAssetCount
        • RemovedAssetCount
    • I have added in AssetVersionHistory to the UPAIIndexableAssetInfo document
      • This will include details regarding the following changes
        • PreviousAssetGuid
        • PreviousFileName
        • PreviousFileSize
        • PreviousFolderPath
    • The following document types are being added to the database
      • UPAICategoryInfo
      • UPAIPackageStoreInfo
        • ?This is for supporting System/User Package Folders
      • UPAIPublisherInfo
    • Asset View History and Favorites has been added
    • Package View History and Favorites has been added
    • User Asset Tagging/Notes is still being developed/tested
    • User Package Tagging/Notes is still being developed and tested
      • Both will be included in the 0.9.9.5 release

I'm hoping to have this ready to be submitted to the Asset Store by tomorrow afternoon. Anyone wanting an advanced copy, can send me an email to robert.keown@rk-softwaredev.net, and please be sure to include your Asset Store PO Number.

47. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I have to let the users know, that due to financial issues, development on the UPAI will be put on hold for a few weeks. I hope to resume development my mid/end of July, hopefully.

I am still able to provide support and fixes for the software, and I will not be deprecating it, as the last version posted to the asset store is stable.

I will try to work on the software, when I can, and am still trying to get 0.9.9.5 released, but I have no ETA. It's just dedicated development that has to be put on hold.

My apologies to the users, but I'm going though some difficult times, health wise, currently.

48. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

I have resumed development of the UPAI, as of Monday of this week. I'm currently re-working the asset timeline for incremental releases up through v1.0.0.0.

I hope to have more information within the next few days.

John-G likes this.
  49. RKeown3D

RKeown3D

With v0.9.9.1 currently available for Level 11 Developers, I am currently working on an update that addresses the following issues:

• PDF Link not working in menu structure
    • PDF Web Url not going to correct page
    • Updated Assembly Names, References, and Folder Structure
    • Asset History
    • Package History
    I'm hoping to have this update ready and published by October 15th, 2016, if not sooner, soon followed by v0.9.9.3 which will include Asset and Package Tagging. I am also working on the ability to process package assets asynchrounously, instead of one at a time, during the Package Scan process. v.0.9.9.3 is expected to be released on October 31st.

The UPAI Instruction manual is included in PDF form, under Plugins/UPAI.Net/Documents

For more updates, follow the development blog at http://www.rk-softwaredev.net/blog

50. ibyte

ibyte

I seem to be getting this error for each file scanned when enumerating packages use by my current project. (3115 times to be exact)

Glad to see a package like this - Lord knows package mangement is sorely needed.

Unity 5.4.1f1

Code (CSharp):
    2. UPAIProjectInfo._ParseSource(): Error(The requested operation caused a stack overflow.)
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    4. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Loggers.UPAIMessageLogger:LogError(String) (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Loggers/UPAIMessageLogger.cs:195)
    5. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Loggers.UPAIMessageLogger:LogErrorFormat(String, Object[]) (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Loggers/UPAIMessageLogger.cs:226)
    6. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Loggers.UPAIMessageLogger:LogException(String, String, Exception) (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Loggers/UPAIMessageLogger.cs:252)
    7. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Models.UPAIProjectInfo:_ParseSource() (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Models/UPAIProjectInfo.cs:295)
    8. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Models.UPAIProjectInfo:ParseSource() (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Models/UPAIProjectInfo.cs:182)
    9. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Models.UPAIProjectStatus:DetectPackages() (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Models/UPAIProjectStatus.cs:91)
    10. RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI.Managers.UPAIProjectStatusFileManager:_DetectPackages() (at c:/Users/robert.keown/Desktop/0.9.9.1/RKGamesDev.Systems.UPAI/Managers/UPAIProjectStatusFileManager.cs:346)