Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. KarloE

KarloE

Hmm, you might be right, something is wrong here, since there is almost no performance drop in your example scene for me. Let's figure it out on PM then.

2. BHS

BHS

For those of you who have been wanting an updated playable UniStorm Demo to test out, we have made a new demo using UniStorm 2.1. This demo lets you change the time of day, change the weather, and enjoy the beauty UniStorm creates.

UniStorm 2.1 Demo

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Sonnenspeer and NightAvail like this.
  3. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

I get the following error in my own project as well as when running Basic C# 2.1 demo:

Please apply a C# Sun Shaft Script to your camera GameObject.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:GetAllComponents() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:914)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:Start() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:631)

There are, of course, two such scripts on the camera in both cases.

If I edit your script to add the following diagnostic code:

if (sunShaftScript == null)
    {
    foreach (Component c in cameraObject.GetComponents<Component>()) {
    print ("Componentoncamera:" + c);
    }
    Debug.LogError("PleaseapplyaC#SunShaftScripttoyourcameraGameObject.");
    }

It shows (among other components), two instances of

Component on camera: Camera (UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.SunShafts)

What is going wrong?

I can fix it only by fully qualifying SunShafts (in your script):

public UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.SunShafts sunShaftScript;

and

sunShaftScript = cameraObjectComponent.GetComponent<UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.SunShafts>();

4. BHS

BHS

Strange. If the Sun Shafts image effect isn't on the camera, UniStorm should continue working without it. It will tell you to add a Sun Shafts image effect to your camera but shouldn't have any errors. We can importUniStorm into a fresh project with no issues or errors.

Did you not import the standard folder when you first imported UniStorm into your project?

Image effects are properly referenced by calling using UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects at the top of the script which allows UniStorm to alter the sun shafts. What version of Unity are you using? Could you send us a package file of your scene so we can see what's going on?

Edited: Your issue was due to you having multiple versions of standard asset image effects in your project which were causing conflicts.

5. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

Unity 5.2.3f1

Let me strip the scene to the minimum. How do I ensure I am sending all I need to? I am on OS X

tone

6. BHS

BHS

We tested that exact version of Unity during our tests. Maybe it's something with your project or that you have conflicting image effects.

If you export your scene, it should include all needed dependencies.

7. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

I have a scene now that only depends on your asset and Standard ones. How do I email you the 145K scene?

8. BHS

BHS

Glad we were able to resolve this via email.

9. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi, I don't know if anyone asked this question already, but the trees from the standard assets package (speed tree) are shaking violently on clear weather.
    I got the latest build of UniStorm and Unity 5.1.0f3 64 bit. Is there a setting that you can point me to, where I can lower the wind impact on said tree maybe?

10. BHS

BHS

Since Unity doesn't expose the API for the wind zone, you will need to manually go to the wind zone, that is a child of the UniStorm parent, and adjust its settings to a lower wind strength or turbulence.

11. BHS

BHS

We have added a new section to the UniStorm Wiki for a new video series we're starting called UniStorm Tutorials. These videos will help customers get the most out of UniStorm with easy to follow tutorial videos. We plan on adding more over the next week.

If anyone has suggestions for tutorial videos, please post them here on the UniStorm thread and we will make them.

http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Tutorials

Our first video is setting up a custom player with Auto Player Setup.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    DesertRaven and Tinjaw like this.
  12. BHS

BHS

Tinjaw and Stormy102 like this.
  13. bruno-martelli

bruno-martelli

demo scene 2.1 buttons do not function on Safari OS X El captain 10.11.1 - the weather does not change, or is it just me?

14. BHS

BHS

Do the buttons click or are they not working entirely? We have tested them out and all seems to be working. The transitions are subtle so you'll need to wait for the weather to change overtime. It is not an instant process.

15. Stormy102

Stormy102

@BHS How would Unistorm work with players that are created at runtime? Would it cause errors or would it work without needing to make changes to the core scripts?

16. BHS

BHS

We provide a working runtime example with UniStorm that grabs and applies all components at runtime without having to code a thing.

If you are using a customer character:
    You would use the Auto Player Setup to setup your character for you. This applies all the particle effects and sets up your camera. You would then apply the runtime script to your character and out the particle effects in the appropriate slots (rain in the rain slot, snow in the snow slot, etc). You then save this object as a prefab. Using our player spawner you would spawn the prefab you just created in a scene with UniStorm. The script you applied to your character should assign all the necessary components to UniStorm at runtime.

We will make a tutorial video today demonstrating what to do as it would be informative to a lot of people.

Stormy102 likes this.
  17. BHS

BHS

New tutorial video showing how to spawn a custom player at runtime using UniStorm and its Auto Player Setup.

Stormy102 likes this.
  18. Stormy102

Stormy102

This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

Now regarding an authoritive multiplayer setup, exactly what variables would I need the server to sync?

19. BHS

BHS

Stormy102 likes this.
  20. Ylor

Ylor

Hi!
    I'm considering buying this asset, but I have a question. Does the weather effects utilize some kind of camera effects? Im developing a split screen game - would that work out of the box? With two or four players who can all be at different positions i the game world, each with his/her own camera?

Cheers
    Rasmus

21. BHS

BHS

The only image effect that UniStorm needs is the Sun Shafts image effect.

Out of the box UniStorm is designed for 1 player. However, that doesn't mean it isn't possible. We have customers use UniStorm for MMOs as well.

One way for supporting multiple players with the same UniStorm system could be having some type of external script that watches UniStorm's current weather and precipitation amounts. You could copy the weather effects over to each player. When the weather changes, it will start fading the weather effects using the same variable that UniStorm uses. The same goes for the Sun Shafts image effect. The clouds, sounds, lightning, etc are all already global so all players would see and hear them. This is of course untested, but I can't see what it's not possible.

If you need any help regarding this, we would be happy to help. We are always available via email.

Stormy102 likes this.
  22. shwa

shwa

How do i send a PM message to BHS via this forum?

BHS, i emailed you (gmail address), but not sure if it's still a working email that you use.

23. BHS

BHS

Yes, we received your email and PM. When we get a chance we will package up the farm demo (just including the references) and send it to you.

24. KarloE

KarloE

Hey, cloud shaders seem to have problems in the latest unity version.

Can you please figure out some kind of a quick hotfix?

http://prntscr.com/9c4dge

Anyhow, can't see my clouds at the moment, waiting for the solution. :)

25. KarloE

KarloE

Oh, figured it out. The wrong shader was selected, I just switched to (unity 5) version and its good. Don't know why the generated game objects used materials that use the old shader, maybe you should check it out, cos I did everything automatically with your tools. Works fine now! :)

26. Demonith88

Demonith88

Hi @BHS i was commented your video on you tube and in Wiki the problem is y writhing that there is tutorial in documentary for multiplayer like mmo and such i dont see it and when i click what ever in documentary i was back to Wiki your page with lack of tutorials ?

27. BHS

BHS

Good to hear you found a work around. I'm not sure why that happened as we tested it and we're not able to recreate it. Our system spanwed with the proper materials.

We have replied to your email regarding your questions. We have a section in the wiki that covers which variables to track while setting up UniStorm over a network.

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  28. blockimperium

blockimperium

Okay question. I decided to add the new Unistorm to a test scene that was working fine before. This scene has a GameObject which has two children, a Main Camera and Ethan. Other than that there is nothing else in the scene because this was more of an animation controller test.

To integrate I did the following.

1) Created the WeatherSystem C#
    2) Performed the UniStorm AutoPlayer Setup

The issue that I'm seeing is the exact same one as before. Unistorm is creating its own Camera underneath its own Player and that camera is becoming the default camera for the scene. This camera is being created by Unistorm under UNistormDesktopPrefab_C_Basic->Player->Camera.

What is this camera for? Does Unistorm need it? If not, why is it creating it?

Note: This is on an entirely different project running Unity 5.3.0f4 and I'm just looking in the Game view to see this behavior. There is literally nothing else in my scene before I add UniStorm other than my Ethan prefab and my main camera which are children of a PlayerCharacter game object.

29. BHS

BHS

UniStorm>Create System creates a prefab that already has a player as its demo player. You are supposed to delete this player object after you have copied the Sun Shaft image effect from its camera over to your custom camera. You then use your own player using the Auto Player Setup (APS). UniStorm doesn't spawn a camera with APS. It simply spawns, positions, and applies all needed effects for UniStorm. It only changes the settings on the camera that's a child of your player object.

I hope this clarifies everything.

I'm not sure if you have seen our new video tutorial series, but this video show what to do with a custom player and UniStorm.

30. shwa

shwa

Thanks, BHS, looking forward to trying it out.

31. bruno-martelli

bruno-martelli

They flash a little, but nothing changes apart from the sound. Visually just the same, no change even after a few mins

32. bruno-martelli

bruno-martelli

time of day control changes lighting

33. BHS

BHS

It seems like some of the text's borders in the webplayer demo are going over some of the buttons making the top ones hard to press. We will update this within the hour and post here when we have done so. Other than that, the buttons work when pressed and they al change to their weather type.

34. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

1) Where the documentation? I dont mean the Wiki, something I can print out... all this going thru silent videos is doing my head in...
    2) The Auto Custom Player setup isnt working for me, I just did the old school ay and dragged the prefabs in.
    3) The Spawn Player video... is not working for me... I need to spawn in due to using multiplayer, and when I delete the player from the Hierarchy the references to the weather prefabs is lost.
    I know this cos if I DONT delete, but just disable, then my player is spawned in, and the Unistorm Editor is referencing the prefabs that now lie in the disabled player...

35. BHS

BHS

1) We will update our written documentation. UniStorm now virtual sets itself up so there's little need for a step by step process when it now does everything automatically.

2) Auto Player Setup does work. Ensure that the particle effects are being attached to your player and that they are being applied to UniStorm. Make sure that you don't change the UniStorm folder structure as the APS relies on this to grab and apply the prefabs to your player.

3) The weather effects need to be attached to your player. You then attach them to the appropriate slots on the UniStorm spawn script. When your player is spawned, it will apply the needed effects to UniStorm.

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  36. Sonnenspeer

Sonnenspeer

I haven't still tried this asset but why you need to attach the weather effects to a player object? Wouldn't it be better to attach it to a weather manager object?

37. karmacomp

karmacomp

I see in the screenshots that this supports Ceto Ocean asset. Does this also support Suimono Ocean asset?

Mike

38. BHS

BHS

This is because the particle effects become children of the player. This makes it so they can follow the player with no need for coding.

We have a customer who has used Suimono and UniStorm with an older version of UniStorm. If it worked then, I'm sure it'll work now. We are also here to help if you have any issues implementing the two systems.

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  39. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.1.1 has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

This update includes the following:

New Features:
    * Alien Climate Generator - Generates a randomized alien-like climate with extreme temperatures, randomized color values, and other settings that may only be found on alien planets.
    * Added Reset Default Colors and Settings to the Editor. This will reset all of UniStorm's settings and colors to the colors we used in our demos.
    * Included advanced UniStorm UI controller from the UniStorm 2.1 Webplayer Demo
    * Added option specifically for UFPS under Auto Player Setup
    * Added Climate Zone to the Windows>UniStorm menu
    * Added UniStorm Video Tutorials to the Windows>UniStorm menu
    * Added a visual boundaries for Weather Zones and Climate Zones
    * Added the option to adjust the colors of the boundaries for Weather Zones and Climate Zones

Fixes:
    * Fixed flickering sun issue that was happening to some users
    * Fixed weird cloud rendering issue that was happening to some
    * Weather GUI controls now opens with the U key instead of the F12 key
    * Fixed an issue where the desktop was referencing the mobile mouse look instead of the desktop version
    * Removed DisableUnderWater example script from player prefabs (this is an included demo script that isn't currently used but is helpful for those who need it)
    * Fixed a minor issue with the UniStorm Basic Prefab some users were having
    * Fixed an issue where sometimes a Weather Zone wouldn't spawn after using the Windows>UniStorm menu
    * Fixed UniStorm and UniStorm Objects from spawning in arbitrary positions when using Windows>UniStorm menu. UniStorm and its tools now spawn at 0,0,0

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Sonnenspeer likes this.
  40. karmacomp

karmacomp

Great.

I am using the 3rd Person Controller Template asset by Invector. It requires its own special camera and other stuff. Will I have any problems with Unistorm and that asset?

Mike

41. BHS

BHS

We have tested UniStorm with other assets that use special cameras (like UFPS) and it works just fine. While we haven't tested the asset you've mentioned, I can't see why it wouldn't work. If you run into any issues, we would be happy to assist you with getting it to work.

42. Sonnenspeer

Sonnenspeer

May I ask how many mates develop this asset?

43. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

1. Thats good...
    2. not working here
    3. i know but as i said, after attaching them to player by hand, updating the prefab and dragging to slotS in editor, i delete player from scene, when it spawns in, its lost the connection.
    before i did a clutz where i put the weather prefabs seperate and had them follow the player by code... you saying i shouldnt have to do this now? cos its not working.

Maybe I wait for 2.1.1 and delete everything and start again?

44. BHS

BHS

The reason we made the Auto Player Setup is because it is much easier than setting up things manually.

Make sure you are using the proper version of APS. It's either C# or JS.

Also, you player will need to have its camera as a child of your player. You need to also make sure us haven't renamed your UniStormEditor game object or changed any folder structures. These would cause it not to work as the system searches for certain objects that depend on the default names.

If you want us to see what's happening, please PM us a video showing you using APS and it not working. I'm confident that the APS works. It was tested in many different ways with different system.

45. BHS

BHS

We have updated our UniStorm demo and fixed some buttons that were not able to be pushed. We also added some trees and objects to better see the lighting and GI in action.

UniStorm 2.1 Demo

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  46. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Ok this might be it... I'm using a camera that's external , the multipurpose camera from Standard assets actually...

I'll try with a more basic camera... thanks, I guess that's probably it..

47. montyfi

montyfi

I have Unity 3rd person controller in scene, trying to run auto setup player (C#) and it does nothing. Nothing in the log, no changes in scene. If I manually move everything from Unistorm player to Ethan - nothing works with this error:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable moonLight of UniStormWeatherSystem_C has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the moonLight variable of the UniStormWeatherSystem_C script in the inspector.
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.FadeOutPrecipitation () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:2455)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.WeatherForecaster () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1955)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.Update () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1201)

I was hope it will be much easier in v2.1 to configure everything.

48. Sphelps

Sphelps

mine worked fine, did you use it on the 3rd person camera? or controller

49. BHS

BHS

If you're using Auto Player Setup, you need to make sure your camera is a child of your player. You also need to make sure don't have any UniStorm effects on your player. If the system detects the particle effects are already there, it won't span them twice.

If you are setting them up manually, you need to make sure you apply these effects to the UniStorm Editor in the appropriate slots under Object Options.

50. N1warhead

N1warhead

Just letting you know all the clouds but Foggy and Storm are pink inside editor but in game they are completely invisible, so I'm guessing something to do with the Shaders?