Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

We will increase this limit for version 2.1.

The stars being visible before the moon as well as the dark clouds has been fixed with version 2.1. The dark clouds are a result of the update to Unity 5.2. They changed the way fog was handled.

If you need the shader replacements sooner, pm us your invoice number and we will send them to you.

Yes it does, a lot of our customers use RTP.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    ksam2 likes this.
  2. ksam2

ksam2

Ok I've increased that by editing "UniStormEditor_C" script but there is still something I don't figure out. I need to set my directional light to 2.5 intensity but every time I play the game it starts from 0.7 or other numbers lower than 1.0!
    So my game need a Directional Light with 2.5 intensity But unistorm set it lower that 0.7, how can I solve this problem?

3. BHS

BHS

The light is also based off the time of day. This is to help blend the light as it sets during the morning and evening. If you want to keep the light the same intensity all day, send us a PM and we can further discuss this. We have a solution if you need it.

ksam2 likes this.
  4. ksam2

ksam2

No I don't want to keep the light same intensity all day. I just want to start directional light intensity from 2.5 not 0.7

5. BHS

BHS

Then increase your light intensity with UniStorm to 6.5 or 7. That should give you a sun intensity of 2.5.

6. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hi BHS, just to clarify; are the screenshots from the previous page standard Unistorm and Unity, or is there a shader package used, and if so what is it?

Also with 2.1 coming and the addition of the auto player setup, how if at all will this affect the implementation of UFPS with Unistorm and Gaia environments? Will it be the same setup as before?

BHS likes this.
  7. BHS

BHS

Everything you see in the screenshots on the page before is included and only using the standard Unity shaders and UniStorm. Customers will get the exact same scene shown.

We will be demonstrating UFPS with a video also. The process is nearly identical. We even have a special option for systems that use 2 cameras, like UFPS.

Gaia is just terrain generation so UniStorm will work with it. We actually generated the UniStorm demo terrain with Gaia.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  8. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Thanks for the clarification of my questions, that is good news all around.

9. ksam2

ksam2

Thanks solved, Just one more issue! after what you said about Unity 5.3.0f1 I imported Unistorm in the Unity 5.2.0 but still I need to hit play to see the changes I made. Infact game should be playing for Unistorm to work. it makes me crazy, can't work like that :confused:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  10. BHS

BHS

You will need to reimport UniStorm. Unity 5.3 most likely auto updated your code. Since Unity 5.3 is still in beta, we won't be updating UniStorm to support it until it's out.

11. ksam2

ksam2

Even imported Unistom on Unity 5.1.0 too. but still same as Unity 5.2.0 and 5.1.0 and 5.3.0 ...... so it's not a problem with 5.3.0 because It doesn't work on 5.1.0 and 5.2.0 too

12. BHS

BHS

Strange, you're the first to have this issue. It has been fixed several versions ago and no one has had it since. We have tested the current version of UniStorm in both 5.1 and 5.2 and our values are always kept.

Can you PM us and send us a video of your editor changing? It could be some type of conflict with something within your project. If you can, send us your Unity scene in a package file and we will see what's going on. As of right now, we cannot recreate your issue which means it's most likely something in your end.

ksam2 likes this.
  13. NightAvail

NightAvail

I've had a similar issue, although I was unable to make changes even when the game was on 'Play', so I had to guess how things would look when making changes. :(

14. BHS

BHS

Strange, what version of Unity and UniStorm are you using? Are you using any other systems or tools with UniStorm?

Also, have you made sure that you have tried this?
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_editor_will_not_keep_values_I_enter

15. NightAvail

NightAvail

My version of Unity is the latest official release (5.2.2 I believe), and I'm using UniStorm 2.0. The only other assets I used at the time were TerrainComposer and RTP. Thanks for the link, I'll try that out! :)

16. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

Can unistorm be made compatible with or using the approach seen here? http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/11/05/awesome-realtime-gi-on-desktops-and-consoles/

It has realistic daylight intensity, unlike Unistorm. Unistorm seems very strong at nighttime and sunrise/sunset, but during daytime the sky looks all wrong and the ground and ambient light intensity looks strange sometimes. It seems out of place. Nighttime or stormy weather is too dark when using global illumination. Does Unistorm now update the ambient light based on the day time as well and can it do it with the gradient method?

17. BHS

BHS

Everything you've mentioned can be adjusted. If something is too bright simply turn it down. If something is too dark, turn it up. UniStorm provides the flexibility to get any color you desire. With that being said, we will try to add the gradient color option to UniStorm for our 2.1 update. We will be submitting the update tomorrow. We will try our hardest to include it with the 2.1 update.

UniStorm adjusts the GI with its colors. So, if the demo above uses Unity's standard GI, then you should be able to get the same results. You will just need to adjust your lighting accordingly.

18. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.1 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. This update brings tons of new features and improvements to UniStorm. We will post the update notes here when the system has been accepted. We look forward to showing off our new Climate Generation System.

19. Sphelps

Sphelps

I wish you had a system to download it now, that would be great

20. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Excellent news BHS, and then onto Emerald AI 1.2 :)

Sphelps likes this.
  21. blockimperium

blockimperium

Awesome. Really looking forward to this update so I can pull it into the engine :)

22. David-Kamunyu

David-Kamunyu

I've sent a request for the cloud shader via PM.

When do you expect it to be approved? I may need the updated shader a little sooner.

23. BHS

BHS

Hopefully by next week sometime. We can send you the update shader later sometime today.

julianr likes this.
  24. David-Kamunyu

David-Kamunyu

Please do, next week will be too late unfortunately.

25. julianr

julianr

Awesome! Looking forward to using Emerald with the latest UniStorm update.

26. NeoKuro

NeoKuro

I'm interested in using this for my game that has multiple planets. Is it possible to generate different day/night cycles for each of them, and to have different sun colours? (IE blue suns, yellow suns etc), and similarly would it be able to simulate extreme temperatures?

27. BHS

BHS

We just submitted UniStorm 2.1 which includes our new Climate Generator. This system generates tons of UniStorm factors to create realistic climates based on climates on earth. We didn't think of a climates for different planets though. I think this is an excellent idea and we will be sure to add it. We would also randomize different colors for the sun, Sky, clouds, extreme temperatures, etc. This would be like the different climates we've talked about, but it would be a alien planet setting to generation. This is something that we will try to add and submit soon. If you become a UniStorm customer, we can send you the updated version early after we have added the new system to UniStorm.

If you have further feature requests to this, or another feature, just ask.

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  28. blockimperium

blockimperium

Man, I was hoping this would have made it in before Thanksgiving so that I could get some testing done with it, but thankfully its on its way :)

29. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any plans to add an aurora borealis effect?

blockimperium likes this.
  30. blockimperium

blockimperium

Ooo, that's a good one. Same thing with like comets, shooting stars, etc.

31. BHS

BHS

It's something that we are considering on adding in the near future.

32. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.1 has been accepted and is now live on the Asset Store!

Get it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

This update brings tons of improvements, the Climate Generation System, and Auto Player Setup. Here's a run down of all the new features and fixes with UniStorm 2.1.

Auto Player Setup:
    Auto Player Setup works by auto spawning, assigning, placing, and positioning all needed UniStorm components for custom players. It then gets the player's camera and assigns it to UniStorm with the necessary settings. Lastly, it will automatically assign all these components to UniStorm. This process takes just 1 second and saves users time from having to do it manually.

Climate Generation:
    UniStorm's Climate Generator makes it easy to generate a realistic climate to suit your terrain/environment's needs. It works by generating realistic climates based off of real-world data. This includes Precipitation, realistic Seasonal Temperatures with seasonal averages generation, weather odds (deserts have less rain and rainforests have more), starting weather, starting season, and much more. This will all be generated according to realistic real-world data according to the specific Climate, but will be different every time. This is all done with the click of a button and UniStorm does the rest.

There are 5 Climates to choose from Random, Rainforest, Desert, Mountainous, and Grasslands (with more to come).

Climate Zones:
    While climate generation for a whole terrain is great, some of you have requested having controllable factors for specific areas of your terrain. This is why we are also creating a new system called Climate Zones. It will work by using trigger areas to switch climates. When your players hit these Climate Zones, it changes UniStorm's climate. So, if your terrain has a mountain section, and you'd like the climate to be Mountainous, you would simple generate a Mountainous Climate Zone for your mountains and place the zone over your mountains. When your player exits, or enters a new Climate Zone, UniStorm can then switch to it. Multiple Climate Zones can be used throughout your terrain allowing.

Advanced UniStorm Interface:
    The new UniStorm UI allows you to see UniStorm's components such as Date, Time, Weather, Temperature, Season, and Moon Phase all with text and icons. This of course is completely optional and will simply be an additional demo that's included.

Improved Weather and Effects:
    We have gone through and fine tuned all weather effects, fading in and out algorithms, and even tweaked the cloud shaders all to allow for better looking weather. Precipitation weather types' clouds have also been tweaked to allow for greatly improved fading in and out.

Improved Sun and God Rays:
    We have redone the way UniStorm's sun is done allowing for greatly improved looking sun and god rays.

Fixes and Improvements:
    * Added Storm Cloud color changing to the Editor
    * Fixed rain sound not being faded for heavy snow
    * Fixed rain sound and wind weren't being faded for light snow
    * Fixed Moon shader, stars no longer appear in front of moon.
    * Improved moon shader
    * Fixed Fog not affecting clouds
    * Increased Sun Intensity by 4 in the UniStorm Editor
    * Added Twilight Color option to editor (this fixes the transition to night and morning being too dark).
    * Star brightness can now be adjusted via the star brightness color control in the Editor
    * Star shader has been rewritten allowing for non-visibly tiling stars
    * Improved sun shafts
    * Clouds are now affected by sun shafts

33. Matt_The_Gamer

Matt_The_Gamer

How can I implement UniStorm with UNET? I've followed along the photon tutorial on the wiki but can't get it to work and nothing I've tried seems to get the hour and minutes to start when the game network starts.

34. BHS

BHS

You need to make sure you are adjusting the variables below for the actual start time.
    realStartTimeMinutes
    realStartTime

We will look into this and see if we can provide an actual example. It is certainly possible as we have had many customers do this and be very happy with the results using Photon.

35. Matt_The_Gamer

Matt_The_Gamer

Great, thank you! I'll look into getting it to work on my own while I wait for you guys to make an example.

36. BHS

BHS

We hope that everyone is enjoying the new Climate Generation System and Auto Player Setup. It should make development a lot quicker and easier.

We had a suggestion for Climate Generation for Alien-like planets, we think this is a great idea. So, we went ahead and started a quick concept of what we could randomly generate using the new Alien Planet Generator (this will be located under the Climate Generation as a Preset Generator). The results are very cool, and while there's still some tweaks to be made, it's looking great so far.

The Alien Planet Generator will generate rather extreme conditions and temperatures. However, this doesn't mean you won't end up with earth like conditions. Some planets will be very cold and most likely only snow if there's precipitation, while some can have very hot temperatures. The Planet Generator will also generate colors for every color component that UniStorm uses such as Atmospheric Scattering, Fog, Ambient Lighting, Sunlight Color, and tons more. Our generating algorithm picks logical colors making sure it avoids blacks and other colors that would be useless.

This is all optional of course and does not have to be used. We have noticed that quite a few people have asked about UniStorm and alien-like climates.

Here's some screenshots of what UniStorm's Planet Generator generated. Generation just takes a second and the click of a button.

Note: This is just using the same demo included with UniStorm. We will demonstrate this with a alien-like demo sometime this week.
    AlienPlanet1.png
    AlienPlanet3.png
    AlienPlanet2.png
    AlienPlanet4.png

julianr likes this.
  37. KarloE

KarloE

Updating Unistorm is one of the worst things that I need to do for my project from time to time.

Can someone please tell me how do you update the frikin thing once the new version comes out, I might be doing something completely wrong.

I delete the folders and then redo the process (and btw your tutorials are totally outdated), then the frikin thing won't work well usually (like today), can't see sun shafts, clouds wont move (which I fixed before but cant remember the solution now), even the demo scene wont work well unless I import it in a completely empty project. I don't know what the problem is.

Anyhow, spent whole day updating unistorm. Still doesn't work. Messed half of my project in the process. Frustrated as hell.

Someone help, somehow. Thanks.

BTW - screenshots look great, I hope to see that soon in my project. I would put focus on cleaning up the project and making things convenient in the next update, before adding any more features though.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  38. BHS

BHS

You should never have to delete anything when updating. I believe all you need to do is import the new version of UniStorm which then updates every component with the same name. Deleting dependencies is most likely what's causing your issues. You must have deleted something UniStorm needed.

I would try deleting everything and reimporting. We can import UniStorm into our scene/project fine with no issues.

39. KarloE

KarloE

Ok, I managed to get the project to the point that I had it this morning - I have imported the latest Unistorm and I am ready to import it into my scene.

The problem is, the clouds don't move, not even in the demo scene, when I import it in my project.

uvAnimationRateA,B,C is (0, 0, 0) for some reason for me, and that is why they dont move. However, I know that it's something else, there is a reason why it is like that, but I can't remember what it was couple of months ago when I had the problem the first time.

Sun shafts work on the camera in the demo scene, I am yet to import everything into my scene. I would rather have the demo scene working first. Any assistance? I know I am not the only one that had this problem, because other people also had similar problems when I asked about it the first time.

If I import unistorm to the completely clean project, clouds will move though. I don't get it. There are no errors.

40. BHS

BHS

It must be something within your scene. We tested the newest version of UniStorm with no issues.

What other system/tools do you have in your project?

41. KarloE

KarloE

Basically, I am using your scene, not mine. We use various tools and assets in our project, but none should conflict with UniStorm really. (RTP for example, from bigger ones)

But...

Ok, I've managed to fix it. The thing was - all was good with animation rates and all the values, but - the strings that name the texture were not initialized well, for some reason, and to be honest I got no clue why the thing acted differently depending if I imported it into my project or started a new project and imported it there.

I just changed it to private var (so private string CloudA =... - for example), and they initialized well and were given a good value, so it works now. I don't think there is need for them to be public, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so now your scene works as it should, now I will try to import it into my scen and will let you know about the results. Thanks for letting me bump ideas off of you, it helped me thing, I really got stuck for the whole day with this thing so I was extremely annoyed.

But... What I am gonna tell you now is long overdue, but time has come to tell you what is the worst thing with Unistorm.

Basically, I would be a very very happy customer if you guys would refactor your code in one of the upcoming updates, because as optimized as unistorm is (and it really is a good performing asset, as far as we are concerned), the code is pretty horribly typed and you can easily cut between 1000-1500 lines of code by just putting in some arrays and lists and using a couple of for loops once in a while, not to mention that the whole thing is too big, you can actually cut it down to 1500ish lines of code without breaking a sweat.

I know, no one cares how it looks as long as it works well, but listen, this is an asset that you provide to coders, not players, and we sometimes need to adjust things, modify the script, etc. It would be much easier if it wasn't this huge and is a bit better explained.

I've implemented many changes myself in some of the earlier versions because I wasn't completely happy by the amount of control and the looks (which is fixed now), and I couldn't really wait for your fixes and updates at that time. And then, with every update, I needed to re-do the changes I did. It was awful.

I know people that are much better in these things that I am, but still, when I see a script this long, where there is over 500 variables declared, I know something is not right. It will be crazy awfuly boring to refactor, but I think you can really do it in 2-3 days no problem. It will make all of our lives much easier.

Don't get me wrong, I would refactor it myself a long time ago - but what when you publish an update? Do it all over again? No way. :)

In short - I am pretty happy with the asset, it looks great. I still rated it 5 stars. BUT - Please make it easier to use and modify too, and you really have something here.

42. Sonnenspeer

Sonnenspeer

Since the new version is now out you have a new customer :) Really nice work! Can't wait to try it.

43. KarloE

KarloE

Managed to get everything working in my scene, all good now.

44. kilju

kilju

Really love this new update :) but where i can change my night sky color? cant seem to find it

45. shwa

shwa

Great re new update. Will download and give it a spin soon.

1. Plants

- Would be helpful to get access to the seed planting demo soon, as i have the 3rd party assets that you use in your previous demo.

2. Clouds

BHS, can you please post some screenshots of the various kinds of clouds that can occur in Unistorm?
    Including, various examples under different lighting situations? Dawn, Sunset, etc.

I ask, because i haven't seen examples of the range that is possible with Unistorm.

For me, clouds are very important, as they can have a strong effect on the mood of scenes.

I've been looking at other weather systems in the asset store, and seen some very good looking clouds.
    I'm hoping that a wide range of good looking clouds is possible with Unistorm, or that there is a way to bring in clouds from other weather systems.

Thanks!

- shwa

46. auroxi

auroxi

This update is superb, I'm glad this asset improves constantly.

Here's a random screenshot from one of my games using 2.1 :)

TheSeawolf, Sonnenspeer and kilju like this.
  47. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

I have been using the now-discontinued Silverlining 2.1 in my prototyping. It seems clear that you are doing some things that that asset doesn't do, but I wonder if there are areas where SL is still better than UniStorm.

Do any of the people here have experience with both?

48. BHS

BHS

Great to hear you were able to resolve your issue. We will be sure to update the the Cloud strings.

Thank you for the feedback.

We are working on consolidating the code as we have been doing with each update. Expect the next update's code to be updated and condensed.

1. We will see if we can send you the scene for the farm demo.

2. We plan on further enhancing the UniStorm's clouds. UniStorm has Clear, Mostly Clear, Partly Cloud, Mostly Cloudy, and Cloudy. You can see most of the cloud type here in one of our UniStorm videos from a few versions ago:

Great to here you're liking the new update. Awesome screenshot.

49. KarloE

KarloE

Great to hear.

I have another observation, is anyone else noticing a performance hit with this update of unistorm? Could you guys check if that is the case? Im not sure what was the last version I had to be honest.

I have done quite a lot profiling on the game and optimizations recently, and I am noticing that unistorm jumped to the top of the performance draining objects, to be specific - UniStormWeatherSystem_C.Update(), and that wasn't the case with the last version I used.

If I disable the script for a moment, I gain 50-60 fps on my pc which is a bunch, I don't think performance hit was that bad before.

I've tracked the part of the problem down to the TimeOfDayCalculator () script, specifically SkyBoxMaterial color setting, which if commented out, gives a gain of 30ish fps.

Is there anything that can be done about the performance?

Tinjaw likes this.
  50. BHS

BHS

@KarloE Very strange. This could be some type of conflict within your project. We can further discuss this via PM and find a solution.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015