Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity.

Considering Blender, Max, Maya, or other tools? Try UModeler X.
    It brings vital 3D modeling, painting, and rigging features straight into Unity.
    Edit models in real-time, enhancing both productivity and the quality of your creations.

Asset StoreWebsiteDocumentationDiscordEmail
    FAQRelease NoteFacebookTwitter

Getting Started Manual in Learn.Unity.Com

UModeler provides you with the most convenient environment for low-poly 3D modeling and prototyping within Unity.

If you don't have much experience with 3D modeling, UModeler would be a good choice for you.

Level Design in Unity: Blocking Out a Cyberpunk Scene with UModeler [80.lv]
    UModeler For Unity Gets A Free Version [80.lv]

If you have issues or questions, please e-mail me or leave a comment in this forum.
    Asset StoreWebsiteManualDiscordTutorial VideosContact.Support@umodeler.com

UModeler X is the next version of UModeler, and it's equipped with richer and more powerful features.

However, some features available in UModeler, such as Sketchup-style modeling and Hotspot texturing, have not yet been implemented in UModeler X.

Despite this, the reason UModeler X is free is because its business model differs from UModeler's. UModeler X provides almost all 3D editing tools for free, and we plan to introduce a subscription-based model for those who wish to use the cloud-based services that will be unveiled in the future.

If the current 3D editing features and the ones to be added later are sufficient for you, you can continue using it for free. Our team is currently working hard to develop an attractive cloud service, and we plan to expand our business through this feature.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Panda29, Yany, frbrz and 4 others like this.
  2. Teila

Teila

Hi, I wonder if the bevel feature can be used to soften the corners of the building? This looks like a great way to build quickly and I am fond of Sketchup and it's methods. However, I want my corners to be slightly rounded. Your bevel features in the manual show only top bevels, not side bevels.

Any chance you could show a quick gif? I will buy pro if I can get rid of hard edges in places I don't want them. Thanks.

rendalo and UModeler like this.
  3. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

This looks amazing! just a quick question about the UV's, I hate UV unmapping (i suck at it really lol) lets say I model a house in Umodeler Pro and texture it like you have above, is there a way for me to go into that map in like photoshop and add greater deatil? or use a asset like Vertex Tools Pro https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55649
    Just to add more life to the models if you get what I mean.

Thanks and I have watched this thread.

UModeler and Teila like this.
  4. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Teila,

Thank you for your feedback. The bevel tool is one of the features I want to show off.

The next image shows how side edges can be beveled and softened by changing the properties like Width, Segments and Profile in the inspector.

UModeler_BevelTool.gif

As for beveling and softening corners, it isn't perfect yet to be honest. As shown in the image below, corners can be beveled but it has not been implemented yet to make corners rounded. However, it is going to be implemented in the future.

Therefore, stay tuned :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Teila likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila

I really cared about the edges and it looks like they can be beveled. Corners would be nice as it would add some nice detail to arched ceilings. :)

UModeler likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila

Another question, what about arches? Can they be made as they were in Sketchup?

UModeler likes this.
  7. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Brian,
    Unfortunately UModeler doesn't have the functions to give details to textures. Actually it looks beyond UModeler. As you said using UModeler with assets like Vertex Tools Pro or softwares like photoshop would be good.
    Thank your for your feedback.

8. UModeler

UModeler

Of course. See the following examples.

With Arc tool you can create curved shapes easily and quickly as below.

Or Follow tool can also be considered to make curved shapes as shown in the next image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Lahcene and Adam-Bailey like this.
  9. UModeler

UModeler

Hello

The price has got down to offer more people the benefits of the advanced and powerful features of UModeler Pro.

Now check out the amazing price in http://u3d.as/Hz4

Enjoy UModeler!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Teila and lundon like this.
  10. Teila

Teila

Hey, that is nice! I have been wanting to try it but was concerned about a few things and have so many tools already..but at that price, I will definitely try it. :) Thank you!

UModeler likes this.
  11. UModeler

UModeler

You're welcome Teila. I hope that UModeler Pro will help you to work on your project a lot ;)

Teila likes this.
  12. Teila

Teila

I will post pictures when I get the time to work with it. :)

UModeler likes this.
  13. UModeler

UModeler

I'm looking forward to them ;)

Teila likes this.
  14. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi Tripolygon

I am using UModeler basic and came across a bug. The transformation, scaling and rotation gizmos stop working after creating a umodeler object in the scene. The gizmos only work on the umodeler object, not on any other object. Even if I delete the umodeler object, the behavior is still present. I think somehow UModeler gizmos are overriding unity gizmos. I don't know much about unity. Please see the attached video below. It shows my keys press events as well.

UModeler likes this.
  15. UModeler

UModeler

Thanks to your video and explanation this bug could be fixed. The new update on both Basic and Pro including this bug fix has been submitted today to the asset store so you'll be able to get it sooner or later.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Teila likes this.
  16. UModeler

UModeler

17. dreb4o

dreb4o

I saw your system looks interesting
    I have a few questions
    1.after making model he completely Is own(Do I need the system to open models every time)
    can I use the model without the system?
    2.I do not see to be able to make domes(I do not see anything from Spanish colonial architecture)
    3.where to ask questions(facebook-Email-Unity-forum)
    4.all models are included in the system(f you buy a system is there all the houses)
    I'm lazy I want everything ready

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  18. cj31387

cj31387

Really like this so far.
    I'm getting a unity editor freeze when i try to move 2 or more polygons at the same time with the transform tool don't know whats causing it.

Also is there a way to make edges NOT merge when you push and pull? Sometimes i need them to merge but sometimes I also need them to be separate edges so i can do different textures.

Finally can you create some way to allow snapping to stay to the world grid even when you are moving edges or lines over another edge?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Would these features are planned ?
    - Axis mirror modeling
    - Radial Array to duplicate selected faces a number of times with spacing
    - weld selected vertices to center or last selected
    - Loop cut
    - UV Seams and Unwrap
    - Object arrays

I found some bugs in "material mode"
    When we apply material ID = 1 to a selected face, if we select another face the material index goes back to ID = 0 instead of keeping ID=1.

A missing feature is we can only move faces,edges , we can't rotate or scale them.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  20. UModeler

UModeler

Hello dreb4o,

I've put answers to your questions below.

1.after making model he completely Is own(Do I need the system to open models every time)
    can I use the model without the system?
    The geometry data related to UModeler is saved to the scene so you don't need to do anything else separately to load mesh data made with UModeler. A mesh modeled using UModeler can be used separately because the result data is stored to the MeshFilter component to be rendered and it can be exported to .obj file to be loaded and exported by other DCC tools.

2.I do not see to be able to make domes(I do not see anything from Spanish colonial architecture)
    A dome shape can also be made easily with UModeler, which has a sphere tool and capsule tool. Check it out below.
    UModeler_Making_Dome.gif

3.where to ask questions(facebook-Email-Unity-forum)
    You can ask questions or give feedback via this forum thread, e-mail and facebook.

4.all models are included in the system(f you buy a system is there all the houses)
    I'm lazy I want everything ready
    The package contains Demo.scene file which includes the building models shown in the screenshots.

dadude123 likes this.
  21. UModeler

UModeler

The bug about freezing the Unity Editor while transforming vertices/edges/polygons have been fixed in the latest version.

As for Push/Pull tool Push/Pull has "Draw Margins" parameter in the inspector. When it is on, you can leave border edges between the new polygons and the existing polygons as shown below.
    UModeler_pushpull_draw_margins.gif

Finally UModeler supports Grid Snap. It can be enabled by turn on Settings/Snap/Enable check box in the inspector and you can change the grid size.
    umodeler_grid_snap.jpg

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

1) About the export , is this a way to keep quads ? All exported geometry is triangulated when i import in Blender. Or did i miss a step ?

2) Remove doubles doesn't work ( or did i miss something ?)
    After the model is done i use rectangle selection to selected vertices and click on "Remove Doubles", but shadows have seams because of non welded vertex

If i select a polygon and move it, we can see vertex has not been welded.

Also exporting the model as .obj to Blender , when i select and move faces, they are not welded together.

3) Using lines tools doesn't create necessary edges.
    It results on hidden poygons, for example i push a shape made with lines, and moving the top face shows an hidden polygon.
    Is there a way to avoid that or have edges auto created when we use lines and push pull tools ?

This is the same model made in Blender, correctly modeled, you cna see the correct edge resulting from extrude. And moving faces in all direction the model is correct, there is no hidden faces, no holes, no double vertex not unwelded.

The plugin is great but it has the same issues as Sketchup (double vertex, non connected faces , hidden faces), other users will not care, but for me correct geometry is important.
    Having to use an external modeler to fix the model is loosing all benefit of using Umodeler.
    Perhaps i'll return to Probuilder , it is a more traditionnal modeler that don't have lines drawing but at least created models have correct geometry.

Teila likes this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

Hello zenGarden,

Some of the features you mentioned are already in UModeler. Check it out below.

Axis mirro modeling
    - There is a mirror tool in UModeler.
    UModeler_MirrorTool.gif

Weld selected vertices to first, center and last selcted - (Combine tool in UModeler)
    The way of using the Combine tool to weld the selected vertices looks inconvenient to use. It'll be improved.
    UModeler_CombineVertexTool.gif

Loop cut (Loop Slice in UModeler)
    - Loop Slice tool is like Loop cut tool in Bledner.
    UModeler_LoopSliceTool_v2.gif

UV Seams and Unwrap
    - UV mapping editor like one in blender or max is in development and the first version of it is planned to be released in a few months.

Radial Array to duplicate selected faces a number of times with spacing
    - The current clone tool supports only straight line array. Radial Array will be considered as a new feature in the next update.

Object arrays
    - Does it mean duplicating umodeler objects as done like duplicating faces? Would it be useful?

When we apply material ID = 1 to a selected face, if we select another face the material index goes back to ID = 0 instead of keeping ID=1
    - Clicking LMB on a polygon is to select a polygon and take the material id of the selected one and SHIFT + LMB is to assign a material ID to the selected one keeping mat ID.

A missing feature is we can only move faces,edges , we can't rotate or scale them.
    - Rotating and scaling vertices/edges/polygons are also possible. You can switch the current gizmo by pressing W,E, R key or choosing the gizmo type under Settings/Gizmo in the inspector.
    UModeler_TransformTool_v2.gif

I recommend that you read UModeler manual. It would help you figure out how to use UModeler.

Thank you for feedback!

zenGarden likes this.
  24. UModeler

UModeler

Hello zenGarden

Thank you for your concerns regrading UModeler. I'm trying to improve UModeler everyday based on users' feedback.

I put comments to your questions below.

1) About the export , is this a way to keep quads? All exported geometry is triangulated when i import in Blender. Or did i miss a step?
    - Only triangles can be exported to .obj file in UModeler so exporting quads isn't supported yet. Exporting quad shapes to .obj file will be considered for the next update.

As for the incorrect welding issue in Blender and non connected faces, I found out there is a bug in the codes in charge of exporting a mesh to .obj file. This issue will be solved as soon as possible.

2) Remove doubles doesn't work ( or did i miss something ?)
    - After selecting some vertices and going to Remove Doubles tool you should adjust "Distance" parameter as shown in the following image.
    UModeler_RemoveDoublesTool.gif

3) Using lines tools doesn't create necessary edges.
    - Extruded faces by Push/Pull tool are merged with the adjacent co-polygons by default. However, "Draw Margins" parameter can leave the lines between the new faces and the existing faces so that you can separate them. It'll make you avoid the issues you faced. See the image below.
    UModeler_PushPullToolBasic.gif

4) it has the same issues as Sketchup (double vertex, non connected faces , hidden faces), other users will not care, but for me correct geometry is important.
    - UModeler seeks to create a watertight, clean and correct mesh, which means that it doesn't create any unnecessary vertices, edges and polygons. And Unlike SketchUp, UModeler has many functions to repair a geometry like Copy tool, Combine tool(Merge vertices,polygons), Invert face tool, Remove Doubles tool, Collapse tool and Flatten tool etc.

25. shikhrr

shikhrr

Non connected faces is problem for me as well. The mesh gives weird results when importing into a painting program like 3d coat. I think there should be some automatic way to connect different faces and avoid double vertices.

26. UModeler

UModeler

Hello shikrr
    I found out there is a bug in the codes in charge of exporting a mesh to .obj file. The duplicated positions, normals and uvs are not handled correctly there. This issue will be solved sooner or later.
    Thanks.

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes, the array function working on some object or if possible on selected sub mesh, i don't know if this should be included on the plugin or let users use external plugin, but it could be usefull.
    For example to make array of windows for a building or a house.

I prefer video tutorial covering functionnality, but i'll read the manual.

Can't it be more easy and like Blender ? When click it removes doubles according to distance value without having to move the slider, i don't find that productive to have to move the slider each time.

I tried with margin option, it generates a edge indeed , but the geometry is still not correctly generated.

28. UModeler

UModeler

1) Object array
    - This sounds like a good idea. I'll consider adding this function to UModeler.

2) Video Tutorial
    - Actually I'm not a native English speaker so I feel hard to make a tutorial video but I know the tutorial video will encourage people to use UModeler more. I'll keep trying to come up with ideas about how to make users begin UModeler more easily and realize them.

3) Remove Doubles
    - The way of using Remove Doubles will be improved in the next update to make it more intuitive.

4) About a gap issue
    - This issue isn't easy to solve completely so it may take some time to fix this. But don't worry. There is a workaround. Using line tool you can draw an edge to compensate this as shown in the following .gif.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9505296/Pictures/UModeler_workaround_about_a_gap.gif

umodeler_workaround.png

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

If you make a detailled model, you'll are doing twice the work and you'll miss edges because it is not automatic.

I don't understand what is difficult ? when you draw a line that connects to existing edges, the plugin only need to cut the edges.
    This is how it works in Blender, the existing border edges where the line connects are simply cut, so you can't have holes or hidden polygons

Because the Line tool does not cuts the edge, this is what happens with the plugin

UModeler and Flurgle like this.
  30. shikhrr

shikhrr

For video tutorial, use a Text to Speech software, https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-text-to-speech-software. I have seen some people for using this for YouTube videos.

UModeler likes this.
  31. UModeler

UModeler

32. UModeler

UModeler

Currently it's tricky to make UModeler behave same as blender in this case because UModeler doesn't support a non-planar polygon as a basic topology like Blender. UModeler supports only a co-planar simple polygon and a non-planar quad. However, the gap issue can be solved by adding a additional vertex in the current system.
    Nonetheless I'll start to investigate how a non-planar polygon like Blender will go into UModeler.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  33. UModeler

UModeler

The default value of Distance property in the inspector is very small. It is probably 0.001 or 0.0001 something like that. Set it to a enough large value like 2.0 or 3.0 etc according to your model size. And then select vertices/edges/polygons again and press "Remove Doubles" button. Then it'll work immediately without having to adjust "Distance" property.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    zenGarden likes this.
  34. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't know how it is coded to work that way, but a polygon is a polygon whatever it is planar or not, and cutting and edge remains cutting and edge in two edge, instead of creating a new vertex and new edges.
    There is no magic here, it's basic edge cut on polygon.
    I won't use a lot your plugin as it asks us to do lot more work to get correct geomety unlike more traditionnal modeling plugin like Probuilder.

Anyway, i can understand you want it to stay as Sketchup works (with the same issues) and perhaps it's too complicated to add some option for correct geometry, and your plugin will suit lot of users that don't care, so i won't bother anymore asking correct geometry.

35. UModeler

UModeler

Hey,

This issue about not welding vertices in the other DCC tools will have been solved in a few days because the new version (1.0.2) including this fix has been submitted to the Asset Store to be reviewed so it'll come to you soon.

This bug was caused by duplicated positions, normals and uvs in exported .OBJ file.

The following .gif file shows that the vertices of the imported mesh which was exported from UModeler are welded well.

UModeler_clean_exported_mesh.gif

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  36. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good, i'll try it.

UModeler likes this.
  37. shikhrr

shikhrr

Nice, looking forward to update.

UModeler likes this.
  38. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi Tripolygon,

I am really enjoying the plugin. I have two feature requests.

1. Can you add radius property to rectangle drawing tool, so that I can give radius to the corners. I know it can be done with selecting all four edges and bevel, but if you get time please try to add this feature.

2. Can you add a property in the arc drawing tool which lets you close the arc. Currently after drawing the arc, the arc is open. To close it, I use a line tool to connect to open points.

39. UModeler

UModeler

Hello shikhrr,

I would love to implement the features you suggested.

As for the first feature, do you want to make a rounded rectangle as shown in the following image or resize the rectangle by adjusting a radius property which would define a distance from the center to a corner?

rectangle_rounded_corner.jpg

40. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi Tripolygon

I want the rounded rectangle as shown in the image.

41. UModeler

UModeler

Okay. The two features would make UModeler better. I'll add them to UModeler. Stay tuned! :)

42. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler Pro 1.0.2
    has been uploaded in the asset store. The details are here.
    As mentioned before the bug of the obj exporter has been fixed in this update so that duplicated positions, uvs and normals could be handled.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  43. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks for the update, I will check in some time.

44. UModeler

UModeler

The new demo video has been made. It contains a way of building a T-Shaped house.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  45. kns1966

kns1966

Any chance of slowing the playback speed of future videos? Even 25% of normal on Youtube is a bit too fast for many sections. My preference is to watch, learn (maybe), and simultaneously take notes of exact steps.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    lundon likes this.
  46. shikhrr

shikhrr

I think the same. The videos are very fast to follow.

47. UModeler

UModeler

I'm making tutorial videos to show how to use UModeler. They'll be slow and descriptive enough for you to follow.

lundon likes this.
  48. dreb4o

dreb4o

It is very nice that all models are added to the package
    Please if you make models and add them to the package
    Make houses in other styles(Spanish colonial style,French style)
    Do in other buildings except houses (Churches,Temples,Arena,amfiteatar)
    If there is a tutorial
    Do you think you do something like a cloud system

49. UModeler

UModeler

Hello dreb4o,
    That's a very good point. I also have plans to make other styled buildings using UModeler Pro and get them available. And I'm gonna share tutorial videos soon.

50. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017