Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Old] Tropical Forest Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baldinoboy, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks man. I did get it down to 1 GB now with just some optimizing. Will include 8K textures for a few as a separate DB link for customers if they need it.

Yeah that is one thing I have been wondering about is Standard Assets and layers. I would like to included the demo scene with the pack but it is reliant on a preset character controller, custom tags and layers. What do you guys think? Just simplify the included demo scene so it is basic with a fly through camera and no effects?

hopeful likes this.
  2. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I bought this low-poly rocks pack a while back and the developer, didn't include any standard assets but instead created a small manual about how to import and set up the image effects, and even some lighting tips. I personally think this is the best way, if you could just create a simple one-page pdf screenshot of the image effects and their settings that you used (I believe you used the new Unity Stack pack), then it should be easy enough for most people to recreate the scene and also reduces the download size. A fly through camera has the added benefit of being used to promote it in a YouTube video, especially if you could get it high-quality, and I think you could get it to really look good and professional. Either that or just add the Standard Effects completely cut off in its own folder so it can be easily unchecked at import. The audio, etc though should be included in the main download, since you did a fantastic job with that I learnt a lot about setting up the audio from your first demo scene from your first release.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah I can do something similar. God knows every new Unity version will break everything anyway. Will just make a unitypackage linked on the first post of this thread for the standard assets used in the demo scene. Have a fly through camera in the scene included. Will not as good on first import but will be for development anyway.

4. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I've been playing with this today. And every time I use your package I am impressed by the quality of vegetation. I'm looking forward to the new update.

Some screenshots!
    Azure2.jpg Azure3.jpg Azure4.jpg Azure5.jpg

What tool did you use to make the terrain? I really liked the reliefs and hills.

jonfinlay and Baldinoboy like this.
  5. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesome screenshots! Thank you very much for showing my pack with your amazing asset! Looks great! Will definitely have to make one of the demo builds with Azure.

I actually made this terrain in L3DT. It is not as incredible as World Machine but find it easier to work with. With more time, and skill, it can make amazing landscapes.

Actually I am not using this terrain in the 1.1 update because of its size. With 1.1 I am going with all PBR models for ground vegetation and no "fake" grass. Problem with this is the unity terrain can only have so many placed trees and to fill this terrain you are talking about 100k+ models and the LODs start freaking out. Really stinks. Might make an additional simple demo scene like in TFP 1.0 but will not make it too dense. Will see.

For an update: Have not been able to get much done since I was pretty sick this last weekend and the one before I had to do my regular job. Want to get these darn new banana plants done! They are looking pretty awesome in Blender. Will see how they do in Unity soon enough. Promise to have a nice update and screenshots by the end of this next weekend.

DenisLemos likes this.
  6. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey @AndyNeoman , saw your post before the site went down so I could not respond. Have got some done with the update but just can not believe how time consuming the simplest thing is. Still working on it though and trying to get it to the point where all the older models are reworked and are in. Here is a video I uploaded yesterday walking through the demo scene.

Sorry for the bad compression but I just do not know what YouTube wants to be uploaded so it is compressed decently. The original video actually looks fine.

Edit- All the effects in the video are free downloads including:

Volumetric Lighting- https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/true-volumetric-lights-now-open-source.390818/
    &
    Post Processing- https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-post-processing-stack-pre-release.435581/page-9#post-3047114

7. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

That is breathtaking! You have made the wait even harder now lol :)

I don't suppose you have repo you can open to owners or a beta testing spot? ;)

My game is all set in a a tropical rain forest and I though it looked quite good with your current pack. that is unbelievable.

Huge congrats, great work.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks man! Can not wait to see this being used to your's and other's projects.

Issue with releasing beta releases is compatibility. In the last few months the shaders have being updated, changed quite a bit. This takes rework on the models, textures to keep and upgrade the quality. Also keeps each new Unity release needing a lot of work to get working. Have tried 5.6 and honestly it is not just TFP 1.1 I find broken in it. Can not get much to work including a simple instanced material without a crash. So for now I am staying at 5.5 so could not promise compatibility with 5.6 or 2017b.

Also scenes, materials, models, prefabs will not be finalized so it might be okay for testing but there will be a lot of unfinished stuff that would have to be acceptable till I could get around to fixing it. Like right now for most of the ground cover I disabled the shadows on the last LOD because the shader is causing a major slow down when dithering the shadows from model to billboard. You might have noticed this shadow popping in the video. Hoping this can be fixed but not sure yet.

If anyone still wants to try a beta PM me a request with the Invoice number that is on the receipt from when you purchased Tropical Forest Pack. Need this so I do not violate the Unity Asset Store's rights.

Will probably not be able to upload it until midnight tonight.

9. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I recently did a showcase video of my Azure[Sky] Lite package under development and used this vegetation package along with Advanced Foliage Shader v.5 and my scene was amazing.

When I uploaded the video to YouTube, the quality of my video has also slowed down, but you still get to enjoy the beautiful landscape!

I'm using Unity 5.6.0f3 and your package is working perfectly in this Unity version, even the built in vegetation shaders are supporting night scenes and are much better than the 5.3.4 version I was using before.

Assets used in the video:
    PathMagic
    Tropical Forest Pack
    Advanced Foliage Shaders v.5
    Mega Game Music Collection
    Unity's Post Processing Stack

- Denis Lemos

AndyNeoman and Baldinoboy like this.
  10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah that is such an awesome video! Watched it yesterday. Beautiful lighting! I just can not wait to have a scene with Azure Sky and SEGI when finished with 1.1. That will be epic! :)

Did not test it but that would be awesome if they are fixing that awful tree creator lighting issue with a dark scene.

The thing with the shaders and setup in 1.1 is while it should perform better and definitely look a lot better it will not be as compatible and problem free as the current shaders which are closer to the tree creator shader. So I did another test and it worked in 5.6 but there were a few errors and it is a lot slower. Was going below 20fps in an area where I was getting 40+ in 5.5. So hopefully the Shader magician(lars) can get it working better with 5.6. Will talk to him about it this weekend.

Thanks again for that video

11. evilangel89

evilangel89

I just had to buy this @Baldinoboy :) and I am telling you this asset is so much more valuable for the price you're offering it for. I had a look at the video on the 1.1 update and I can't wait for it. Any idea on an ETA ? I shared a link to your assets on the Gaia forum page. I hope you'll have a lot of sales because there's quite a lot of nature lovers in there and I am sure they've not seen a tropical forest asset like yours.

Baldinoboy and hoodoo like this.
  12. hoodoo

hoodoo

Thanks @Baldinoboy for such a great asset! I found out about it from the post on the Gaia thread - thank you for the info @evilangel89 :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  13. evilangel89

evilangel89

Always a pleasure. It's our duty to reveal talented folks to the masses :D

Baldinoboy likes this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just found out about this on Gaia thread as well. Looks amazing! Sing out if you want to do an integration with Gaia n GeNa :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thank you so much! Also thanks for spreading the word about it. For an eta..I have given an eta before and I still feel horrible for it. All I can really do is promise to give updates on each item completed.

Right now the plan is just to rework the items deleted from 1.0 like the banana plants and small palm.
    All the materials are finished. Now it is just modeling and importing. Then some cleanup and done. So once those are reworked and the 5.6 shader issues are fixed I will submit the update.

Thanks guys!

Been following your work for a while Adam! Have used GAIA but not GeNa yet. When things slow down I would love to test GeNa out with TFP. Was not sure how it works with custom trees and performance. Definitely something to check out.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

GeNa will happily spawn both terrain trees, and custom prefabs, so you are covered either way. Tree spawning in GeNa is also significantly faster, and more powerful than Gaia in terms of creative control :)

inoj and Baldinoboy like this.
  17. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesome! Looking forward to trying it out.

inoj likes this.
  18. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Hi, When will you upgrade your asset to version 1.1?, It looks very well said version, currently has version 1.01, thx

19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @sebasfreelance , It still has a bit of work to get ready for the release. Hard to give an eta but will give updates on any progress.

This last weekend I was planning to get a bit done but we had a big storm so no electric for a few days. That is always fun. Will try again this weekend and give an update on what was completed.

20. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Ok, thanks for the information, then I will wait to buy your asset when it is updated, it looks great, good job.

A greeting.

21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Just a little update guys. I finally got some time to work on this pack this last weekend. Did not get as much as I hoped done but still got some stuff finished.

Finished reworking the coconut palms. Did not do too much with them but did rework the trunk. They are thicker, little bit of noise at the bottom, and now have the new photoscanned palm bark. Much improved bending with adjusting each leaf, frond with custom values. Also the leaf and bark on now on the same texture and the whole tree is using one material, submesh. So that should help with a lot of palms and drawcalls.

Reworked almost all the diffuse textures. Decided, even though I was focusing on the flat diffuse PBR workflow, the diffuse textures needed a little more bang. So I contrasted them some and adjusted hue values so they feel more natural in an environment. Less unnatural feel with blues and yellows clashing. No too much though so there are not shadows in the diffuse or anything. Just stronger detail.

Finished the first new palm!

This was tricky as it is using the individual frond on top of the new palm texture. So many, many models to adjust and fit on the branch. Used particle hairs in Blender for this as there are hundreds of blades on one branch. The detail is worth it though. With the Custom Tree Importer the individual fronds bend independently.

Of course with this much detail the tri count is higher but with the many fronds the LOD0 model is around 9500 tris and it very smoothly, like very(except for the trunk which pops slightly), from 9500 to under 1000 at a short distance. The fronds shrink away like SpeedTrees LODs. So very happy there.

Also I started working on some leaf, debris scatter and cover.

This is really easy in blender using the particle hair placement on a slightly domed plane. Thing is though I did it pretty late with my brain shutting off and exported the model of leaf scatter above as individual leaf pieces combined. This is a simple type of model that can easily be baked onto a 8 tri plane. Problem is that I did not think about this and the foliage texture that I finalized does not have any space to input new textures. So if I bake debris cover materials it would have to be on another texture and would not work great optimized with all the other ground foliage. So know it sounds crazy but will probably just use the more advanced models for debris cover for 1.1. Think a higher tri will be better than adding more draws at this point. If in the future I find I am not going to use a leaf or branch on the texture sheet I will replace it with a debris texture.

That is about it for now. To the beta testers I will be sending another build this next weekend. Realized there was a shader include issue with the first so the next should work better now. Still not working great in 5.6 though. Very very slow and I do not know why. So most likely on release TFP 1.1 will not be 5.6 ready. That would be another update. Fortunately one that will be quick and not a couple years ;).

Also one small thing for 1.0 users who want their trees working at night. Here is a small pack that you can import into your project.

TFP_TreeCreatorSpecularIssueFix

It is just transgloss maps for the leaves with no gloss. So you will be removing gloss from the trees leaves but the trees will actually render correctly in a dark scene and not look like a glistening alien world. As long as you did not rename or move the Tropical Forest Pack folder it will replace the normal transgloss maps. Only do this though if you want to use the trees at night since it will remove the specular gloss lighting.

Thanks for reading. Have a great week guys!

22. hopeful

hopeful

Beautiful pictures! Are you using Beautify? ;)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  23. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Good job, they look great!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  24. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks! No. For the screenshots and primary videos all the effects, and anything besides the pack itself are free assets. Will do videos and shots with additional assets like Azure, SEGI, a premium post effect asset(undecided), and AFS after release. The post effects I used here are from the Post Process Stack from Unity. Most were not visible in these screenshots though since it was in screen view. Explains the jagged lack of AA.

Thanks!

25. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Any update on this? Really need LOD's for my VR game and more variety would be nice too.

26. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @Grendelbiter , Have been busy with my regular job on the weekend these last few weeks so have not been able to do much. Only thing, which is pretty insignificant, is finished the new palms and processed the new path material which came out really nice. Still just have to finish the Banana plants and finalize everything. Just need one weekend to work on it.

jonfinlay and evilangel89 like this.
  27. evilangel89

evilangel89

@Baldinoboy I know what exactly you're talking about. Don't worry man take your time and deliver when you think it is good. I couldn't get the latest yet :) I will check today

28. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Nice, just wanted to know if you are still working on it.

29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Understand. Believe me though if I could I would work on this and more packs every day. Might take one off for a gaming day though;)

30. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey guys, Just wanted to message with an update. I cleaned up the rest of the palm cover so it does nopt bend much more than the other cover. So just have two more plants to do, redo billboards and 1.1 is done. Will message with the next update.

evilangel89 likes this.
  31. maryusatom

maryusatom

Hi,

Purchased this recently, and I have some issues with it. If I add the trees to the terrain trees, I can't see the leaves, just the trunks....and when I press play, the trees leaves, and sometimes the trunks as well, disappear when I get close to them, ....I cannot use this. Any ideas what it wrong?
    I've used trees before, I have the ones that come with the standard environment pack, and they work just fine.

Thanks.
    PS> I do need an answer as this is part of a project for a client :)

Attached Files:

32. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @maryusatom,

This should just be caused by there not being a windzone in the scene. Is an error with that version of the shader. So adding a windzone should get everything looking right. Let me know how it goes.

maryusatom and hopeful like this.
  33. maryusatom

maryusatom

This should just be caused by there not being a windzone in the scene. Is an error with that version of the shader. So adding a windzone should get everything looking right. Let me know how it goes.

Hi man,

That did the trick, thank you!!
    Now I seem to have another issue, all the trees ( the same tree when painted with he tree tool on terrain ) are facing the same way, and they don't rotate as in being randomised. Any thoughts on how I do that? I know with SpeedTree ones they do get random rotation and stuff, and I'm pretty sure the people who posted on this thread didn't just place them individually lol.

Thank you again for the fast response!

34. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Great! Yeah the rotation is a Unity thing. They never added rotation for non-LOD trees on the terrain. The 1.1 update will work with rotation out of the box. I am not sure about now but think that the bending is disabled when you add the tree to an LOD group on the terrain. Is like a safeguard Unity added to make my things worse with the current terraino_O.

It is something you could test. Just throw one of the Coconut Palms in an LOD Group with just LOD0 and culled. Then save that prefab and add it to the terrain. It should rotate now when placed but believe the wind will be disabled. If so PM me and I will try and get it working with you.

Cheers

35. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey guys, Just wanted to play with the update a little bit and test the new ground materials to see how the photoscanned data looks with actual displacement:

Have to say having a terrain shader from the 21st century makes a difference. :D

Used Colormap Ultra Terrain Shader 3.0 for this video. Just the forest ground and path are photoscanned. Yet to find a good stone surface to scan. The new palm bark, rocks, and completely new palm trunks are photoscanned too but no displacement on them as of now.

36. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

That looks so awesome! I wished I could make it look like that in VR. I'm so sorry I have to use the lowest detail LOD's.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  37. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi all!

I am extremely happy to say that I finished modeling for the 1.1 update today! There is still a small amount of cleaning needed but I will be uploading for review this week! Here is a screenshot of the latest models-

Will update on upload progress.

38. robymv

robymv

Wonderful!!!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  39. evilangel89

evilangel89

Woohoo!!! Sounds awesome man

Baldinoboy likes this.
  40. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

congratulations!