Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Terra Slicer & S.A.M.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gilley033, Nov 5, 2013.

1. gilley033

gilley033

The update has been submitted. Hopefully it won't be long until it is approved.

2. Mikeedee

Mikeedee

Great !
    Unity Navmesh isn't a big deal anyway, as I'm thinking about using Apex Path, which can work with dynamic stuff, and is criminally underrated btw.
    Looking into buying this very soon, can't wait to fiddle with it and see what it's capable of !

3. Xtense

Xtense

Hello gilley033,

We're using TS&DLK for our next project and so far it seems to do almost everything we need, great job on this asset! We are having some problems though. Our game-world will be extremely large (288 by 291 tiles) and the player will need to start at different positions and relative to certain conditions, so we really require some features that don't seem to be present:

1. World shifting over many tiles at once so we can instantly teleport a player to a completely different tile whatsoever, preferably with forced refresh instead of waiting for the polling queue.
    2. Setting the First Row/Col index as a base index tile even if the player is present on the scene - the player's position would be relative to the indexes provided instead of the start of the grid. This is to avoid floating-point errors, since our gameworld will be very large (a singular terrain tile will be over 10000 Units wide).

It would also be great if the number of instanced elements could be set to custom values or at least increased if needed.

Keep up the good work!
    Xtense

4. gilley033

gilley033

Hi @Xtense, thanks for the questions!

1. For the teleportation, have you looked at the TryMovePlayerToLocation method of the Active Grid class? Also, what exactly do you mean by the polling queue?

2. I'm not 100% sure what you mean here; perhaps you could elaborate a little bit more? Have you tried using the world recentering option on the World component for avoiding floating point issues? If so, was this method inadequate? In what way?

3. If you're talking about altering the number of terrain/objects that are loaded around the player, this is already possible, both in the editor (changing the inner rows/columns or outer ring width of Active Grid) and at runtime via the TryChangeGridDimensions method of the Active Grid class (which, having just checked, is not properly documented in the API; must be an XML error somewhere). If you're talking about something else, please elaborate.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,
    Kyle Gillen

5. gilley033

gilley033

Version 4.0.0 has been approved, which adds Unity 5 support! Users with the kit in a Unity 5 project or in a Unity 4 project that they're about to upgrade to Unity 5 should read this upgrade guide. Users importing the project into a Unity 5 project that doesn't have an existing version of the package don't need to worry about those instructions.

Here are some additional changes:

1. Fixed a bug where an inactivated object would not be reactivated properly when using the Pooling Primary Sub Controller component.
    2. Removed some instructional items that were no longer needed, including old change logs.
    3. Added new Quick Guide detailing first time setup of the kit. This can be found in the TerrainSlicing/Instructions/QuickGuides folder.
    4. Moved all non DLL C# classes out of the Unity Global Namespace and provided explicit namespaces for all javascript classes using classes inside the TerrainSlicingKit namespace. This should rectify any and all namespace conflicts.

6. Xtense

Xtense

Hey gilley033, thanks for replying! Sorry for the long wait :) .

1. TryMovePlayerToLocation takes Vector3 as its first parameter. Since a Vector3 operates on float values, it's not a solution for our specific problem - as I've mentioned, the world's size is 288x291 tiles (over 10000x10000 units for each tile), so it's way beyond float limits.

2. Yes, we are using world recentering option but that's not the case here.

Assuming
    - the player's initial position equals Vector3(51000, y, 51000) and a single tile size is 10000x10000 (XZ)
    - First row is set to 10
    - First col is set to 10

How the system currently works:
    If a player is present, the values of first row/col index (in the World script) are ignored, since there is a player on the scene:
    a) DLK translates the player position to Tile index (row: 6, column: 6)
    b) If the world is not centered - move it towards the center by one row (if needed) and one column (if needed)
    c) goto b)

Step b will take place 5 times since its translated only by one row/column at a time.

How we would like it to work to meet our project's needs:
    a) Take row/col settings (row: 10, column: 10)
    b) Translate the player position to the tile offset (rowOffset: 5, columnOffset: 5) (row: 15, column: 15)
    c) Load tile 15,15 already centered so we don't have to recenter it right after the scene is loaded.

3. Ohhhhhhhhhh, heh, yeah, sorry about that! I couldn't find the information about that in the docs at first, but now I see it's all there. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Xtense

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  7. gilley033

gilley033

@Xtense I'll take a look at this tomorrow when I get back to the office. At first glance, problem 2 may be solveable using functionality already included with the kit. Problem 1 will require some thought and perhaps some tinkering on my part.

8. gilley033

gilley033

@Xtense I think I've wrapped my head around what you want to do, but let me just make sure I understand a few things.

For problem 1, you want to move the player to a new location on the World, but not by actually moving them to that location, at least not fully. Instead, you want to specify the cell they'll end up in and have the World rebuilt with that cell in the center. So rather than moving them to location x = 151,000, z = 151,000, which would be cell Row = 15, Column = 15, move them to location x = 1000, z = 1000 and have the world built so that the cell with row 15/column 15 is the centered cell (aka cell origin). Is that correct?

For problem two, what I believe you want is for the player to start at location (1000, y, 1000) but in the cell @ Row 15, Column 15. Is that correct?

To everyone,

There were errors in the XML that were keeping some methods of the API from being shown . Those errors have been fixed.

The slicing tool will see some major improvements in the next update. Basically I am rolling the functionality of the Cut Terrain tool into the slicing tool.

Right now, when you slice a terrain you are forced to slice the entire thing. Or if you use the Cut Terrain tool, you can only perform a single cut at a time. With the next update, you'll be able to cut out select regions into whatever configuration you want (a 3 x 2 small grid covering the bottom right region of the original terrain, for example). Hopefully this image will showcase what I mean. Let me know if you have any questions!

newSlice.png

9. Xtense

Xtense

Yes @gilley033, that's exactly it on both counts :) (apart from Row/Col being 16 due to indexing starting from 1, but yeah ;) ). This should handle all of our use scenarios and should be a pretty big boon for a potential quick-saving system, too.

10. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi just so i can get my head around this. My current terrain uses Terrain composer and RTP for rendering so my first question is would this be an issue?

Then the current state is, it is 4 terrains that are only 512 x 512 each, but they are scaled up big to create a big world (21km x 21km). Am now experiencing the floating point issue when i get to around 8-10k from center. So I guess my question is would this plugin be a solution and work ok with my current terrain?

It is also multiplayer, does this work over multiplayer out fo the box?

Thanks

11. gilley033

gilley033

@Gibbonuk
    Terrain composer is just a terrain creation editor extension, correct? If so, then it should be fine.

RTP, as far as I understand, requires a custom script on the terrain, right? It probably isn't compatible with the Terrain Slicing tool, but I think it should work okay with the Dynamic Loading stuff.

All my kit does is load the terrain and set up neighboring. Try test loading a terrain that uses RTP. Create a scene with the terrain in it, then in another scene load the first scene via Application.LoadLevelAdditiveAsync. If it works okay, then it should work okay with my kit, though if for some reason it doesn't a refund can be provided.

The kit will not work with multiplayer straight out of the box. I want to try to add some default support for the common networking solutions, but even then, things may not work straight out of the box.

For your setup, I believe the kit will work, but if you only have 4 terrains my solution may be overkill, especially if the floating point issue is the only issue you're facing (i.e., memory is not an issue).

You may be better off just periodically moving everything (including the player) back to some origin point once the player gets a certain distance from the origin.

12. gilley033

gilley033

@Xtense

I'll start a conversation with you on how best to address your issues.

13. Elecman

Elecman

14. gilley033

gilley033

@ Ele
    I'll have to research that, not sure.

Do you know if it works with dynamically loaded terrain?

15. Elecman

Elecman

Not sure, will ask.

16. Elecman

Elecman

17. gilley033

gilley033

Awesome, please let me know how it works! If there are any issues there's a strong possibility that I'll be able to fix them.

As for the slicing tool, I'll try to look into whether something can be done to make it compatible. Looks like there is a trial version available, so I'll download Aplify Texture and take a look at it.

18. Elecman

Elecman

Great, thanks :)

19. Elecman

Elecman

I just bought the package and had a quick play with it. Here are some suggestions / questions so far.

-It would be handy if the EndlessRecenteringWorld demo does not have a walking character controller but a flying camera instead. This way it is easier to navigate the terrain and you won't fall over the edge. I wanted to see the camera re-centering in action but I kept falling off the edge and never managed to go far enough.

-I noticed it uses a dll. Does it work on MAC?

-Does it make use of multiple cores?

-I am still working through the manual but I see that the workflow contains manual steps to set up terrain. However, the dataset I work with covers the entire world, so any manual input is not really an option. Isn't there a way to do all of this automatically?

-Suggestion: a more "planet" oriented approach would be nice which works with lat and longs. Just supply the terrain folder (containing thousands of terrains automatically generated by height maps) and it should work out of the box. When working with a planet, I think a lot of the current workflow could be automated.

20. gilley033

gilley033

I'll add that, thanks. In the meantime, you can just stop when you get to the edge and wait for the terrain to load. Or reduce the movement speed of the player via the PlayerMoverCharacterMotor's Speed options.

Yes, the DLL's are not "Plugins" (aka, they're not written in native code), and therefore they should work on MAC.

No. Most, if not all of the "expensive" code is dealing with core Unity operations which cannot be multithreaded.

The manual setup is required for two reasons:
    1. The default Cell Object Loaders expect a very specific naming format. This is required by the special class (CellString) I use to generate and run comparisons on the strings that are used to load the terrain and/or scenes containing the terrain (and other objects). You are free to create your own Cell Object Loader class, however, that does not use this naming convention, but instead works on a convention matching your existing data set. I can help you with this if you provide some more information about the naming convention of your data set.

2. In order to load the correct area of the world based on where the player is, the kit needs the dimensions of each row/column of the world. It also needs to know how many rows/columns there are, so it can know when the end of the world has been reached and trigger the endless loading. There are other reasons as well.

If your terrain are all the same size, you can simply create a World Grid and use the "Set Using Default Values" option to set the data. You will need to figure out how many rows/columns there are in your world though; that cannot be helped.

21. gilley033

gilley033

V 4.1.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store for approval. This update brings some major improvements to the Terrain Slicing tool as well as improvements across the board for the Dynamic Loading functionality. A full listing can be found in the attached change log.

Attached Files:

22. gilley033

gilley033

v 4.1.0 is now available, though I am investigating a possible bug and have made another minor (yet super useful) change to how the origin cell is updated during a world shift, which I'll be releasing in update 4.1.1 soon. So if you want to wait for that update, you're more than welcome to, or get update 4.1.0 now on the Asset Store!

23. gilley033

gilley033

v4.1.1 has been submitted. I'll let you know when it's ready! As always, you can get it early by contacting me via email with your invoice number. Changes include:
    1. Fixed several bugs that would cause some terrain/objects to remain improperly activated.

2. Optimized the origin centering technique when "Perform Shift Activation In Single Frame" is enabled. Existing cells will now be re-positioned rather than rebuilding the entire world from scratch.

3. When re-centering the world, the world will now use the transform associated with the Active Grid that initiated the World re-centering to calculate the new origin cell.

24. gilley033

gilley033

Update 4.1.1 has been made available on the Asset Store. Change log posted in the post above.

Also, I've improved the original post in this thread. It should be a lot easier to navigate and find information. If you have any suggestions for additional information that you think should be included in the first post (information you think a prospective buyer might find useful), please let me know!

In addition, I wanted to give a shout out to everyone that has taken the time out to review/rate my kit. It helps tremendously, and I cannot thank you enough!

25. gilley033

gilley033

I've updated the API (finally), so it contains information on the latest version of the kit. I also redesigned the look of the API menu and content a bit. Enjoy!

API

26. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I read that someone on the assetstore use this together with multiplayer on a 200 x 200 km terrain.
    Is this solution now in the asset or do you now included some other solution for multiplayer with this asset to use it on big terrains with your recentering solution?
    Last time i ask here you want to Look for it.
    I have another recenter solution but if yours will work with multiplayer i will Push the buy button.

27. gilley033

gilley033

@RandAlThor

Straight out of the box the package is not likely to work with multiplayer. I definitely want to get some native support going for some of the common networking solutions, especially the new Unity networking solution. Other projects have been taking much of my time recently, however.

With that said, I have tried to make the kit as extensive as possible without forcing the user to dig into the source code, so the chances that you can get it to work with a multiplayer solution is good, but it will likely take some work on your part (and mine via the support system).

If you already have a recentering solution I'd probably suggest to just roll with your own, since either way you're likely going to have to write some custom code to get it to work with multiplayer. And we all know it's easier to work with code you've written yourself than someone else's code.

Good luck!

28. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

It is not coded by myself and do other things then coding much better so i search for a working solution.
    Maybe you know "stephan", the one who wrote the review in the store and he will share his solution with me/us for free or money!? So if you are in contact to him it would be nice if he can contact me. Thank you.

29. gilley033

gilley033

Yes, I do know Stephan, we worked a bit together to get the Dynamic Loading Kit integrated with his game. To be honest though, most of the work was done by him, as he's a very knowledgeable fellow and did not require much assistance from me. I'm not sure exactly what modifications he needed to make to get the kit working with multiplayer. I'll reach out to him and find out if he remembers.

Having said that, it's likely you will need to do a decent amount of work (coding) yourself, regardless of what Stephan has to say. If you're not comfortable with that (which is understandable), you can either hire someone who is comfortable with that or who will implement their own solution, or you can wait for uNet to be integrated into the kit (no time table on that, however).

There is a lot of documentation available in the first post, as well as some video tutorials. It may be worth familiarizing yourself with this material. You might gain a better idea on how difficult it would be for you personally to customize the kit.

Good luck!

30. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

After a long delay I finally had a chance to play with this asset again earlier tonight.

The whole scene setup was a breeze this time around. I messed around with the world re center option a bit and managed to get it to work. I finally have hope again of making my large world game.

I am really really really happy about this. I have finally overcome this hurdle thanks to this asset.

I finally left my asset store feedback even though I bought this so long ago.

Thanks so much gilley033

31. gilley033

gilley033

That's great SuperNewbee! Also, I really appreciate you leaving feedback; it helps out tremendously.

Please let me know if you run into any trouble!

32. citizen_12

citizen_12

I'm doing some prototyping on a flight-simulator game, so I purchased your plugin for managing the terrain. After playing with it for a bit, I have a couple questions I hope you can answer.

1. Logically, my world is the size of the planet-- 510 million square kilometers. Of course, only a small portion of that needs to be loaded into the scene at any given time. My strategy is to create terrain tiles in the asset build phase and store them in the cloud for streaming to clients. Can I configure the DLK to accommodate this kind of scenario? I don't want to have to put millions of terrain prefabs in my project :)

2. In one of your tutorials, it sounded like world shifts would only occur when the player wrapped around a row or column. However, other documentation indicates it's keyed simply off the player's distance from origin. Can you confirm which is correct?

Thanks!

33. gilley033

gilley033

@citizen_12 thanks for purchasing the kit!

1. Yes, you can create a custom component that derives from the CellObjectLoader class and basically integrate whatever loading strategy you want, as long as the specifics of your world are known ahead of time (I.e. How many tiles are in each row/column, the dimension of each tile, name, etc.). The documentation for this is not great at the moment, but you can take a look at the PrefabInstantiator and BaseSceneLoader classes in the source code to get an idea of what's needed. Shoot me an email or a private forum message if you need some help setting up the custom script.

2. It's keyed off distance from the origin, so as soon as the distance threshold is crossed the shift occurs. Can you point out which documentation said it occurs when the player wraps around a row/column. I'll need to fix that, thanks!

34. citizen_12

citizen_12

The video was DLK Setup 5b. I may have misunderstood what you were saying in the video but it sounded like you were saying the origin reset was keyed to moving off the end of the row.

Thanks for the other suggestions on my scenario. I will take a look at the components as you suggested.

35. gilley033

gilley033

I'll double check that video and add a note to make sure it's clear. Thanks for bring it to my attention!

36. gilley033

gilley033

I added a road map detailing future updates to the OP.

37. gilley033

gilley033

A quick update . . .

Right now I'm working with uNet, seeing what is needed to get the kit working with it (and networking in general). I don't know if anything will come of this, but that is what I'm currently working on. If you have any suggestions or feature request, now is the time to chime in (before the next major update is ready), even if it doesn't have anything to do with networking!

38. gilley033

gilley033

I double checked that video and you were right, there was an error there. How you interpreted the video was how it use to work, but with one of the recent updates I changed things.

Now, you define the reset boundaries explicitly via the World component's "Boundary Distances From Origin" settings. Once the player travels the distance from the origin defined by each setting, the world is reset in the opposite direction. Any distance can be used, though if your distances are too short, you may see some overlap between the new reset world and old world (which you can get around by checking the "Perform Shift Activation In Single Frame" option, or by increasing the distances).

I've added an annotation to make this (hopefully) clear. I'll probably create a new quick guide for the World component in which this is explained in more detail as well.

39. gilley033

gilley033

Okay, I've been doing some research and working with uNet, and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Since it will not be possible to create a built in networking solution that will satisfy all users, I don't think it's worth it to continue to spend development time on networking. Not to mention that my own networking experience is very limited, so it would take a great deal of time to learn all that I need to know in order to develop anything. I feel this time would be better spent on other features/improvements.

As it stands now, you should really only purchase this kit with the intention of using in on a multiplayer game if you have ample experience with networking.

This is especially true if you plan on creating a large world and need to make use of the origin resetting feature, as this feature will complicate the networking setup greatly.

I will of course attempt to help in any way I can, which includes modifying the source code to expose anything you think may be needed to create your game, but do not expect expert help on my end.

Thanks,
    Kyle Gillen

40. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Hi. If you could have an option to change the naming system of the input tiles so that your asset could work with terrain composer created tiles natively.

Right now Terrain Composer tiles need to be manually renamed manually. Not fun when doing 32x32 tiles

41. gilley033

gilley033

Hey SuperNewbee,

The next update will include support for a new Naming Convention Scriptable Object type. This is an asset you create with two settings, and will allow you to define the naming convention used so you don't have to use the default one. I'll include one with the kit with its settings set to match Terrain Composer's, but really this system can be used to provide compatibility with any naming convention.

42. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

43. Saevax

Saevax

Can you point me in the right direction for using dynamic loading and slicing at runtime if I import TerrainData?

44. gilley033

gilley033

Can you go into a little more detail on what you mean? Are you importing the TerrainData at runtime?

Also, the slicing portion of the kit does not work at runtime, only in the editor while not in play mode.

45. Saevax

Saevax

I may have gone about this the wrong way.

Ideally I'd like to have a set of TerrainData classes and load them in at runtime. Perhaps an easier solution would be to have a default dynamic loading terrain prefab and chain that for for an entire world then when I want to load in Terrain Data I would take it's positional information and height values and use it to modify the height values for all the Terrain prefabs it covers. Does that sound like a feasible solution? How would I go about creating this default prefab? Just a flat terrain copied with related indices added to it's name? Can I modify a scene at runtime by changing it's terrain values or adding/removing objects and save it so that if the scene at that location is unloaded and loaded again it would be the same for that single play session?

I could decouple the objects from the scene and have them load in after the scene loads but decoupling the terrain data and reapplying the data whenever a scene is loaded doesn't sound possible at a reasonable speed

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  46. gilley033

gilley033

There's a single abstract component (CellObjectLoader) that handles the loading of your terrain objects. Currently there are three implementations of this abstract component. A prefab instantiator, which simply instantiates prefabs found in the resources folder, and two scene loading components (an async and non async version), which loads the terrains as scenes. The great thing about this abstract component is you can implement your own, which would allow you to setup a custom component which loads Terrain Data at run-time, or do anything else that's possible within the scope of Unity's Terrain system.

However, while it is possible, I have no idea what the performance would be like, or what the best approach would be. I've had some limited experience with TerrainData.SetHeights and other similar methods, but from what I can remember they do not perform well. You'll need to conduct your own testing on this. There's some performance information gathered by another user in this thread as well.

As for using a single Terrian prefab, this will not work, since all of the terrains would be using the same Terrain Data, and any changes to one would result in changes to all the others that utilize the same data. So you'll need to have each terrain utilizing it's own Terrain Data. You may be able to create the terrain data at run-time; I'm not really sure. If not, you'll need to predetermine how many unique terrains you need and create a terrain for each one (with its own terrain data).

When it comes to saving changes to objects, this is something you'll have to handle yourself within your custom CellObjectLoader component. In relation to terrain editing, I'm not really sure if changes persist for the lifetime of the session; that is a good question and something I'll research.

To summarize, "procedural" terrain creation should integrate easily with my kit, but it's not something that is built into the kit, so you'll have to do the work to get this working yourself. I have no experience with this, which is why I can't offer you a concrete solution on how to do this.

My advice would be to research and try to implement a basic procedural generation system for a single terrain, and see how the performance of that is. If the performance is good, then you shouldn't have any issues getting it to work with my kit, and I'll be happy to help with any problems that arise. Keep in mind that the methods of the CellObjectLoader component are all coroutines, so you can spread the performance out over as many frames as you need (keeping in mind that the more frames used, the slower the loading of the world will be) if you do decide to use the kit.

Good luck, and I hope this answered your questions!

Regards,
    Kyle Gillen

47. gilley033

gilley033

Hello all, I'm happy to announce that version 4.2.0 is now available on the Asset Store! This version includes a couple cool new features, so be sure to check out the change log here.

48. JVDesign

JVDesign

Hi Gilley,

I purchased this asset last night and managed to get my terrain sliced up nicely. Unfortunately the 'detail' items painted on the original terrain didn't properly transfer over to the sliced terrains. While the detail section of the parent or sliced terrains is identical, the sliced terrains show different details painted on them.

For example, on one section of the parent terrain I have a bunch of detail #4 painted and a few #5s, but on the sliced version it is showing them as both #2s.....on another section I have detail #4s that are replaced with detail #3s...

Please let me know if there is any way to avoid this problem because it is much easier to paint these details on a large terrain and then remove what I don't need after I'm all done. Thanks.

49. JVDesign

JVDesign

found your email and sent you this message there in case handling it through email is more appropriate.

50. gilley033

gilley033

Hi mes0, first, sorry I did not respond earlier. I check the forums every day for new alerts but for some reason did not see one for your post.

I haven't seen this issue reported before, so I'll take a look at it and hopefully have a fix/answer for you by tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
    Kyle Gillen